B.P.'s Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Thread (it's all here).....

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The depths of stupidity to which the human being can sink to for the sake of profit is utterly astounding.
I doubt BP could go under but it'd sure be nice.

After watching Exxon Mobil come back after the Valdez disaster, I doubt that BP will fold, but I am with you in sincerely hoping that they do, LG.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

BBC News - US considers setting fire to Gulf of Mexico oil leak

What are your thoughts?

Good idea to burn or do you know of a better idea?
What would the environmental impact be? I remember when Saddam blew the oil wells in Kuwait and it was not good..

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Considering that this might have happened to any rig, Socrates, I would hesistate to talk about American greed. Would you have said the same thing about Canada had the rig been off the NFLD coast?
Probably even when it impacted Canada and the lives lost on the oil rig would be Canadian lives..

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
This is the result of yankee greed. It looks good on them. I hope they learn their lesson, but I suspect they are too stupid to realize it. Unfortunately nature has to suffer for it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is the result of yankee greed. It looks good on them. I hope they learn their lesson, but I suspect they are too stupid to realize it. Unfortunately nature has to suffer for it.

You think Yanks are greedier than Canadians? From my considerable experience with Yanks, I'd say maybe the shoe is on the other foot. The average American is actually fairly generous.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
You think Yanks are greedier than Canadians? From my considerable experience with Yanks, I'd say maybe the shoe is on the other foot. The average American is actually fairly generous.

Well, WSJ has reported that Norway and Brazil both require oil rigs in their waters to have remote shut-offs and other equipment for just this type of accident. American regulators accepted the persuasive lobbyists who told them the equipment was unnecessary.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Do you have anything relevant to offer besides another Anti-American Rant? :roll:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
There are still 11 men missing, and they are not expected to be found.

The rig belongs to Transocean, the world’s biggest offshore drilling contractor. The rig was originally contracted through the year 2013 to BP and was working on BP’s Macondo exploration well when the fire broke out. The rig costs about $500,000 per day to contract. The full drilling spread, with helicopters and support vessels and other services, will cost closer to $1,000,000 per day to operate in the course of drilling for oil and gas. The rig cost about $350,000,000 to build in 2001 and would cost at least double that to replace today.
The Gulf oil rig explosion – on the scene photos | Watts Up With That?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I'd suggest that it isn't necessarily people's greed, but the companies' greed for profits. People are just people and some are greedy, some aren't. Companies are always looking to profit. There's a big difference between people and companies.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'd suggest that it isn't necessarily people's greed, but the companies' greed for profits. People are just people and some are greedy, some aren't. Companies are always looking to profit. There's a big difference between people and companies.

Not really- companies are comprised of people called shareholders, I'm a shareholder and if I'm not making a profit I'm taking my money away from the risk. Then there is no more company, if a number of people think the same as I do.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Not really- companies are comprised of people called shareholders, I'm a shareholder and if I'm not making a profit I'm taking my money away from the risk. Then there is no more company, if a number of people think the same as I do.
To a point, but the entire motive for a company is given by the board of directors. Shareholders are a dime a dozen but they don't decide how the company gets its profits. Board directors are the guiding hands and their prime directive is profit. And as they represent the company, the company's prime directive is profit. Lots of companies don't even have shareholders, but their prime motivation is still profit.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Did I read that this rig did not have a working "blowout preventer"? Was this a cost-saving measure? Or was it an invitation to disaster?

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Of course. In this case it is deserved.

Do you have anything to offer???? 8O
This was an accident with tragic consequences, does it mean off shore drilling should be completely stopped? No but safety measures must be looked at..

In The End what's important right now is the tragic 11 lives lost and the environmental impact, of course that doesn't matter to Anti-American Ranters like yourself because continuously trashing the United States is more important.. ;-)