B.P.'s Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Thread (it's all here).....

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The thing I really don't understand is why an operation with such massive implications has NO effective, proven contingency plan for such a thing.

I am inclined to believe that BP just may be playing a bit of a waiting game- like, that there are a few options that exist but have not been made public- probably drastic options that would hinder further use of this obviously oil-rich location- some kind of concrete "mausoleum" similar to the one used in Chernobyl comes to mind.

Either way, it'll be black times on the coast for some time now.

CNN is just reporting that there was no 'blow-out preventer' which is standard on most rigs. Gotta wonder why they didn't and what the lack of same will mean to any lawsuits.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I have a feeling this oil spill and the consequences to the biosphere might have historic economic and other impacts.
You think? Up to 5000 gallons a day is the latest estimate (by the owner) on the amount being spewed into the gulf. So far all they are doing is sopping up the thickest area and spreading dispersants. The rest will wander about the gulf creating a hazard.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well they originally stated it was spewing 1000 barrels a day, but up'd that to 5000 barrels a day as of yesterday. I believe last night they did claim this is predicted to be the worst oil disaster in US history.... and it's not even close to being over.

It is also stated that the company that owns the rig will most certainly be responsible for footing the bill for the cleanup and everything else that's connected to this disaster.

Which they said will certainly reach into the billions.

And as of today, I guess Obama put a halt on anymore oil expansion down there.

Obama halts new drilling after Gulf spill
CBC News - World - Obama halts new drilling after Gulf spill

Here's some additional news:

Oil threatens Louisiana shore
CBC News - World - Oil threatens Louisiana shore

.... As of Thursday, an estimated 800,000 litres (5,000 barrels) of sweet crude oil were leaking daily. BP officials say it could take as long as 90 days to stop the leak, meaning as many as 71.5 million litres could ultimately get into the water.....

..... London-based BP, which had contracted the drilling rig, is fully responsible for funding the cleanup, which is costing about $6 million US a day......

..... BP's stock market value has declined by roughly $25 billion US since the explosion.

Northboy

Electoral Member
You think? Up to 5000 gallons a day is the latest estimate (by the owner) on the amount being spewed into the gulf. So far all they are doing is sopping up the thickest area and spreading dispersants. The rest will wander about the gulf creating a hazard.

Loss of fisheriesLoss of allied industriesPossibly 10% reduction in trucking and transportStrapped State Government still working on KatrinaSocio political stuff--possible outcome mass protestAll on top of what the US already has on its plate.Anne, the historical consequences...Huge...

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
I get the feeling that Anna is fairly clear on the implications, the opening "Ya THINK??" kind of gave it away

That being said, , it sure is a nightmare that is unfolding. I hope nobody here is too fond of crawdads etc

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
210,000 + gallons per day. They are predicting down here that this leak will exceed the Exxon Valdez incident within 50 days. It is the 50 day thing that is the big problem, guess no has any idea yet how to shut it down.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
210,000 + gallons per day. They are predicting down here that this leak will exceed the Exxon Valdez incident within 50 days. It is the 50 day thing that is the big problem, guess no has any idea yet how to shut it down.

As in the report I just posted, they predict it will take about 90 days to actually shut off the leak, which is predicted about 71.5 million litres will spill out before then.

CTV reporters last night on the shores said they could already smell the oil, so it's not far away.

Besides the ecological damage this will do, besides the money and man power that will be used to try and stop/fix this.... the sheer economic destruction this will do to the local fishing industry will be pretty devastating to local business, both in the fishing and sailing industry. Which means plenty will be out of a job for a while until this all clears up, tourism will be toast, and overall.... this is one big screw up.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Anna, the figure is actually more like 200,000 gallons per day, are you working for BP ?? ;)

I believe Praxius answered you guys' comment about why I said 5000 gallons/day. And I did put in brackets that this claim was by the owner, which might have given you a clue that I didn't believe it.

Well they originally stated it was spewing 1000 barrels a day, but up'd that to 5000 barrels a day as of yesterday. I believe last night they did claim this is predicted to be the worst oil disaster in US history.... and it's not even close to being over.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
From CTV:

Weather dampens efforts to hold back U.S. oil spill - CTV News

It's touching the shores now.

Video report on above link as well. Apparently the weather and winds kinda pushed it to the shore quicker then expected.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I get the feeling that Anna is fairly clear on the implications, the opening "Ya THINK??" kind of gave it away

That being said, , it sure is a nightmare that is unfolding. I hope nobody here is too fond of crawdads etc
Yup. I have no illusions/delusions about the implications.

Aren't crawdads a freshwater critter? I wouldn't worry too much about the shellfish that prefer the deeper regions of waterways and waterbodies, but the ones that hang around the surface like crabs do at times ....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I believe Praxius answered you guys' comment about why I said 5000 gallons/day. And I did put in brackets that this claim was by the owner, which might have given you a clue that I didn't believe it.

I think the confusion lied in 5000 barrels, 5000 gallons and 5000 litres... it's actually 5000 barrels a day.... which is more then litres or gallons.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I guess that because of this disaster we won't be hearing from too many right wingers as to how we absolutely must have more oil drilling or the known world will come to an abrupt end. It will be interesting to see how much BP will pay for it and how much subsidization the government will continue to give it.

Hey Goopher...isn't Obama opening up more coastline for drilling?

Man what a hypocrite you are.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I am just flipping the Katrina thing onto the new President. He's had plenty of time to personally stop this impending ecological disaster down in New Orleans.

Well the difference I see between Bush and Obama, is that Obama didn't take almost a week to actually respond or admit something was wrong and people needed help.

Think Progress KATRINA TIMELINE

^ A very interesting time line on how long it took bush to respond in any meaningful way, while pointing out all the various photo ops and such he attended while everybody was screaming for assistance and notifying him of the disaster.