B.C. Supreme Court upholds ban on polygamy

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I see this as the government interfering in the lives of consenting adults. I am against child abuse and statutory rape, but what consenting adults do is none of my business and not the business of government.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Are you saying that the BC Supreme Court ruling only applies to Bountiful? The law about polygamy only applies to that one community?

TenPenny that is just dopey.

The Canadian Home of Polygamy

CBC News/January 15, 2003

The polygamous community of Bountiful is located on the outskirts of the small town of Creston, British Columbia. The community, comprised of just over a thousand people, is tucked away in the Creston Valley under the shadow of the towering East Kootenay Mountains close to the US border.
It is a secluded community where plural marriage is not only at the centre of the community's religious beliefs but it is a way of life. It's a place where some men have close to 30 wives and father up to 80 children and where teenage girls are married to men old enough to be their grandfathers. They believe that the more children a man produces, the better his chances of entering the celestial kingdom of God, finding salvation and possibly becoming a God himself.
It's home to Winston Blackmore - 'The Bishop of Bountiful'. He was born and raised into the community and continues to be most powerful man in Bountiful. His first wife Jane , says he has 26 wives and some 80 children. The men who head up the families in Bountiful make the decisions and demand that the women be demure, unobtrusive and obedient. Men rule and women are never to question their power over them.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/Locutus1958/22bfcbfb.png

Last edited:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I see this as the government interfering in the lives of consenting adults. I am against child abuse and statutory rape, but what consenting adults do is none of my business and not the business of government.

But child brides, and young men thrown out of families to become homeless, comes with the package of polygamy. The polygamy communitty creates outcasts for society to care for, and why should we pay for their abdication of responsibilities? If they set up funds to educate and employ those young men, they might have a case, but they don't. Those old guys just want to have sex with whoever they want, and not worry about the downside.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Some monogamous men are also jerks. Does that mean the government should ban marriage altogether?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The only issue I have with what consenting adults do is how it affects the kids. If someone wants to have multiple partners and live a lifestyle such as this I have no problem. My problem is how the kids are affected. Does it screw them up? Aside from the kid-touchers in Bountiful, does anyone have any proof that raising children in this manner has no adverse effect on children.

No one here can answer that honestly and considering that, perhaps this deems a long term study.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I suspect that as long as the adults are loving and caring, the children will be normal.

But if that's your criteria for judging the functionality of relationships, consider the results of this study:

The authors found that children raised by lesbian mothers — whether the mother was partnered or single — scored very similarly to children raised by heterosexual parents on measures of development and social behavior. These findings were expected, the authors said; however, they were surprised to discover that children in lesbian homes scored higher than kids in straight families on some psychological measures of self-esteem and confidence, did better academically and were less likely to have behavioral problems, such as rule-breaking and aggression.
"We simply expected to find no difference in psychological adjustment between adolescents reared in lesbian families and the normative sample of age-matched controls," says Gartrell. "I was surprised to find that on some measures we found higher levels of [psychological] competency and lower levels of behavioral problems. It wasn't something I anticipated."

Kids with Lesbian Parents May Do Better Than Their Peers - TIME

It would seem that women make better parents than men. The more women involved the better the children turn out... all other factors being equal.

Do you think heterosexual couples should be allowed to have children?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The only issue I have with what consenting adults do is how it affects the kids. If someone wants to have multiple partners and live a lifestyle such as this I have no problem. My problem is how the kids are affected. Does it screw them up? Aside from the kid-touchers in Bountiful, does anyone have any proof that raising children in this manner has no adverse effect on children.

No one here can answer that honestly and considering that, perhaps this deems a long term study.

I agree. A lot of the concerns being voiced about what is going on in Bountiful is about the coercion and forced marriages of teenaged girls to older men: thats more about enforcement of child abuse and statuatory rape laws than polygamy vs monogamy, IMO. The one area of overlap I see is where a marriage of someone under 16 or 18 requires parental consent, and parents give this consent because of their "religious beliefs" and do not fully consider the best interests of the minor. Possibly making polygamy illegal can cut this down in communities like Bountiful, but I don't see a guarantee that it will.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Good. That will keep Warren Jeff's and his troop of 13-17 year old girl molesters out of here. They use the Bible to hide behind when doing the youngsters quoting Bible passages. Texas found out about them and arrested and tried and convicted him. He is now looking for a new nest to settle in when he is released from prison.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
It's all about the children of the corn.

Other countries except more than one wife and if you look at Mitt Romney's family tree he has multiple grandmothers and great-grandmothers that's how the mormons lived in the wild west a long time ago.

The only reason the mormons gave up polygamy is that they wanted their state of Utah to be part of USA.

Polygamy has been around since the beginning of time and it will be around for a lot longer and one day it will be legal.

One other note in a polygamy family the husband dies young just because he is busy every night.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
How does polygamy harm women?

it harms young girls just barely teenagers who will never have
the chance to grow up as an individual to make decisions for
themselves, that is the harm.

what women do is up to them, but it seems the majority of these
marriages are with girls barely out of childhood, and until they
are adults they should be cared for with the love of a parent/s,
and encouraged to become a confident adult individual.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Of course. Kudos for the BC Supreme Court.

:canada:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Society has a right to ban practices that harm people. Polygamy harms young men who are forced to leave their families while teens, this is a burden on society and an abdication of family reponsibilities.

You can count on one hand the number of women with more than one husband in Canada. Size matters here. Its smaller than swinging clubs.

In that case we should just ban religion since that is what this is all about.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

You're missing the point. What you are saying is not polygamy, it is the idiocy practiced by certain religious groups.

Nothing about 'polygamy' requires it to involve girls barely out of childhood.

That's my point.

The problem is NOT 'polygamy', it is religious fuktards.

If 4 30 year olds want to be married, how does that involve teenage girls? It doesn't. Therefore, the issue is NOT polygamy.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I suspect, suspect, that would would screw a kid up would not be the home itself but the attitudes of others toward that home.

If 4 30 year olds want to be married, how does that involve teenage girls? It doesn't. Therefore, the issue is NOT polygamy.

Yes, I was actually surprised at the verdict, I kind of suspected it to go the other way. But this decision was all about Bountiful specifically rather than polygamy in general.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You're missing the point. What you are saying is not polygamy, it is the idiocy practiced by certain religious groups.

Nothing about 'polygamy' requires it to involve girls barely out of childhood.

That's my point.

but it 'is' involving girls barely out of childhood, making them marry, being mothers of multiple children
before they are the age of 20.
they are born into that lifestyle, and as young teenagers they do not think what is happening is wrong,
so the abuse continues, as they marry thinking all is well, they have been brainwashed as children, and
never realize what has happened to them is not healthy, and the madness continues on to the next generation.
it seems this practice is being done under the title of polygamy.

if it is only involving adult women and men, totally different, they must differentiate and figure out how to prove what is happening, as when they are
asked about minors being married to older men, they deny it.
and if our law states that polygamy is illegal, then it is illegal to all, and I
support that, and agree with it.
the charge for the abuse of minors, and the charge for polygamy would be different,
both being illegal.

Last edited:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It's all about the children of the corn.

Have a big cup of make some f ing sense.

Other countries except more than one wife

Other Countries sell children into the sex trade. Other Countries beat women for exposing an ankle. Other countries execute women for getting raped.

and if you look at Mitt Romney's family tree he has multiple grandmothers and great-grandmothers that's how the mormons lived in the wild west a long time ago.

Mitt Romney believes that Jesus Christ came to America.

The only reason the mormons gave up polygamy is that they wanted their state of Utah to be part of USA.

Well I am glad they felt so strongly about the issue to sell it down the river.

Polygamy has been around since the beginning of time and it will be around for a lot longer and one day it will be legal.

That might be, but for now it isn't.

One other note in a polygamy family the husband dies young just because he is busy every night.

Sounds ike a personal problem.