avro arrow

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I think the major complaint with the Arrow, from both domestic and foreign buyers, was the price tag. Both purchase price and the cost of ongoing support/maintenance were far more than competing aircraft.
What other supersonic aircraft were in the running??

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Money was the big thing. The CF101 (Voodoo) was originally purchased for $750,000 a unit. That was a figure bashed around when I was still in uniform. I cannot find a cite. In contrast, the Arrow's price tag was considerably more.

The bit of snooping around I did said that the Iroquois engine upgrade, lighter and more efficient than the original Pratt & Whitneys, was to have brought the per unit price tag down to around eight million dollars a pop.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Money was the big thing. The CF101 (Voodoo) was originally purchased for $750,000 a unit. That was a figure bashed around when I was still in uniform. I cannot find a cite. In contrast, the Arrow's price tag was considerably more. Voodoos were in production in the US, with no no build costs, just a straight across purchase.

In contrast, 27 million dollars was given out by the Cdn govt for development of the Arrow. A further $260 million was scheduled to be released for 5 test Arrows. To be fair, this included the start up costs - facilities and people - but that would have put the price tag at $287 million, in 1950s dollars, with no sales and only five a/c. And, being the cynic, I believe those costs would have climbed. After all, the government was funding it.

My personal belief is, that despite all the flag waving and improvements in performance, the price tag was too high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_CF-105_Arrow

The Voodoo was a vehicle to carry the nuclear Genie air-to-air missile. I don't think that he designers of the Arrow were looking at it as a mere launch stage for nukes. That weapons system made the "fighter" role of obsolete. The aircraft had to have a long range, high ceiling, "all weather" capability and reasonable supersonic speed. Manoeverability was no longer relevant.

By the way, one aircraft of that era that was very much like the Arrow was the SAAB Drakken. It almost looks like a crib of the Arrow. The Swede criteria for fighter aircraft are little different from ours I would think as Canada's aerial battlefields are a few hours to the north and Sweden's are a few minutes to the east.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_35_Draken

Check this out... 1950's vintage delta wing Saabs doing the "Cobra" manoever like a Sukhoi. I'll bet that the Arrow could have done that. It's almost he same damned aircraft:

http://theaviationist.com/2012/04/12/cobra-draken/

Last edited:

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Timing was not in the Arrow's favour either. The advent of long range missiles in that day and age made the role of an interceptor questionable. It was the Canadian government's position that the next big war would be fought with ICBMs and foot soldiers. (It has also been said that the Canadian Air Force simply did not have the funding to be able to afford the Arrow, and that this was a potential source of international embarrassment.)

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Timing was not in the Arrow's favour either. The advent of long range missiles in that day and age made the role of an interceptor questionable. It was the Canadian government's position that the next big war would be fought with ICBMs and foot soldiers. (It has also been said that the Canadian Air Force simply did not have the funding to be able to afford the Arrow, and that this was a potential source of international embarrassment.)

Well, it would have been a means of subsidizing sectors of our economy. That, however is a controversial thing to do in this country. (Notice how difficult it is, now, to get a home-made warship built) The Americans spend ridiculous sums on all sorts of weapons systems and, for the most part, the process seems to have increased their wealth as a nation. I suspect that some of that has been at work in Britain and France, as well.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Some interesting parallels between the Arrow project and the ongoing Bombardier saga when it comes to finally pulling the pin on such a huge undertaking. I think it was Joss Whedon talking about his love for the ill-fated "Firefly" series who said something to the tune of "You have to know when mouth-to-mouth stops being life support and becomes necrophilia."

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
In the end, I believe that the government just couldn't afford it. Part of the R&D was to improve target detection and wpns launch systems. The new engine had several improvements as well. I think that for security purposes, the plant got shut down and things packed up to stop prying eyes from getting a hold of it.

There's no reason to cut up and destroy unsuccessful prototypes - unless new technology used in the plane could be stolen.

No tin foil hat, oddball conspiracy beliefs here. It was just the govt protecting sensitive tech from falling into Russian hands.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Made in Canada, eh!! :canada:
Who do you think would win a straight-up fight? Canada's artist's impression air force or Engerland's CGI navy?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I would also add to the discussion that the government was right to select the 101. When you have a facility already in existence that makes what you want (or close to it) at an affordable price, you grab it. The US was lukewarm about the Arrow because they had an aerospace industry and needed to counter any competition. The US also knew the technological advancements that resulted from the Arrow program would be theirs to incorporate and improve upon in short order.

The collapse of the program and subsequent exodus of aerospace scientists/technicians to the US couldn't have been timed any better. With the US-Russia space race starting, if you couldn't get a job in Malton, you could find one easily in California, Florida or Texas.

The mystique of the Arrow is always great fun to read, but aliens, men in black or the Illuminati didn't kill it. I think the extreme cost did.
---

And here's President Kennedy speaking about getting into space. Hinting to the Russians that the US was committed to the race.

This video has been edited and music added to communicate the patriotism and verve of the Prez and the time.

[youtube]g25G1M4EXrQ[/youtube]

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I would also add to the discussion that the government was right to select the 101. When you have a facility already in existence that makes what you want (or close to it) at an affordable price, you grab it. The US was lukewarm about the Arrow because they had an aerospace industry and needed to counter any competition. The US also knew the technological advancements that resulted from the Arrow program would be theirs to incorporate and improve upon in short order.

The collapse of the program and subsequent exodus of aerospace scientists/technicians to the US couldn't have been timed any better. With the US-Russia space race starting, if you couldn't get a job in Malton, you could find one easily in California, Florida or Texas.

The mystique of the Arrow is always great fun to read, but aliens, men in black or the Illuminati didn't kill it. I think the extreme cost did.
---

And here's President Kennedy speaking about getting into space. Hinting to the Russians that the US was committed to the race.

This video has been edited and music added to communicate the patriotism and verve of the Prez and the time.

[youtube]g25G1M4EXrQ[/youtube]
My wife's grandfather went from A.V.Roe to Avro Canada to Orenda to NASA.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Different times. You talk about Diefenbaker. It's alright. He's dead. Dief won't mind at all.

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
I was in the air force stationed in trenton and had the privilege of seeing the arrow up close, it was a very impressive kite. Anyhow the tale as I recall dief swallowed u.s. bs hook line an sinker and cancelled the project in favour of bomarc missiles. U.S. brass convinced him their bomarcs were fairly cheap and far more capable of thwarting a ruskie attack than the cf-105. Shrewd move by the americans as they not only killed a potential challenger to their industry but lured many engineering experts to their camp and also managed to sell us their worthless junk that could not intercept incoming missiles.
The arrow was far ahead of its time and would have been the basis for a successful aero industry but as canucks we fear success.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Avro Arrow model found at bottom of Lake Ontario, expedition team says
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 11:58 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 08, 2017 12:04 AM EDT
TORONTO — Search crews say they have found a test model of the Avro Arrow, an advanced Canadian fighter jet that was controversially scrapped in 1959, on the floor of Lake Ontario.
OEX Recovery Group, which is spearheading the Raise the Arrow expedition, says in a news release Thursday that new sonar imagery confirmed the discovery of an Avro Arrow free-flight model.
The company is promising that photos and video footage of the discovery will be revealed publicly Friday in Toronto.
The mission to find nine models of the Avro Arrow began in late July near Point Petre, Ont., with a submarine scouring the waters of Lake Ontario.
The expedition also is meant to coincide with next year’s 60th anniversary of Avro Arrow’s first test flight.
The models were first launched from a military base in the 1950s as part of the development of the Avro Arrow, the first and only supersonic interceptor built by the Canadian military to counter potential Soviet bomber attacks in North America’s Arctic.
All materials, including completed jets, were ordered to be destroyed when Ottawa abruptly cancelled the Avro Arrow project.
The models discovered the by search team will find new homes at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa and the National Air Force Museum of Canada in Trenton, Ont.
Avro Arrow model found at bottom of Lake Ontario, expedition team says | Ontario