avro arrow

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Good work. Perhaps we will learn other things about the Arrow project when these planes are brought up from the lake.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Recover it, slap an engine on it and call it the Canadian air force.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Avro Arrow test model located in Lake Ontario
By Jenny Yuen, Toronto Sun
First posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 06:15 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 08, 2017 06:30 PM EDT
It was almost like the beginning of the movie Titanic, where an underwater camera showed the wreckage of the ship and the crew behind the expedition can’t believe their discovery.
Raise the Arrow — an expedition formed in late July by OEX Recovery Group to find nine models of the Canadian fighter jet Avro Arrow that was controversially scrapped in 1959 — announced Friday it found its first test model of the Avro Arrow near Point Petre, Ont. last week using advanced sonar technology.
“We feel they are important pieces of Canadian history,” explained expedition leader John Burzynski. “The actual planes have all been destroyed except for a few bits and pieces, so we’re bookending the story of the Arrow by finding these last pieces of the plane.”
“It’s like the beginning and end of the story — with the jet missing in between,” he added.
The group showed sonar images, pictures and underwater video from a remote operated vehicle, which showcased one of the models from the free-flight Avro Arrow test program that ran between 1955 to 1957.
The models were tested as one of the final steps in finalizing the flight design of the jet.
The model – measuring 3 metres long and 2 metres wide – was found upside down on the lakebed, with some of its original orange-coloured paint, indicating it’s perhaps one of the later-constructed models.
The plan is to have divers do some excavation in order to release the fins without causing damage. Once it’s out of the water, it will be brought to Trenton — but ultimately, it’s up to the Canada Aviation and Space Museum or National Air Force museum that may house it to decide the extent of restoration.
The expedition will take a pause during the winter months and resume in the late spring.
“We want to make sure it doesn’t dry out just as organic material would do and the same kinds of things can happen with some of the materials used for the models,” said archaeologist Scarlett Janusas. “It may be a matter of waiting until next spring or summer (before bringing it up to surface).”
Next year is the 60th anniversary of the first Avro Arrow flight.
Burzynski said from the beginning his team tried to “stay out of re-writing the history of the Arrow,” but he suspects the project was cancelled in 1959 due to budget.
Dave Shea, the vice-president for Krakken, the sonar technology used in the expedition, said the battery-powered remote controlled vehicle is preprogrammed with a mission to map the seabed.
The sonar technology is able to capture objects in very high resolution.
“We’ve seen a lot of things that aren’t planes and rockets,” he said. “But this particular object was the right size. We could measure it in the sonar, it’s a delta wing, both wings are there. We have 100 targets in our banks.”
jyuen@postmedia.com
Avro Arrow test model located in Lake Ontario | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
I worked as a designer on the Arrow and was furious when Dief cancelled it. As the years passed I learned he did the right thing, something many of my workmates refused to admit. Much more fun to wallowing self pity.

It had a very short range ( lousy fuel efficiency), handled like a pig by today's standards, no stealth capability, and costs had run way out of control.

Add to that the economic fact that the USA was never going to buy it, and neither were any other nations. It was a white elephant.

But it sure looked great out climbing a Super Sabre chase plane that day.

Enough of the childish myths over this plane.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I worked as a designer on the Arrow and was furious when Dief cancelled it. As the years passed I learned he did the right thing, something many of my workmates refused to admit. Much more fun to wallowing self pity.

It had a very short range ( lousy fuel efficiency), handled like a pig by today's standards, no stealth capability, and costs had run way out of control.

Add to that the economic fact that the USA was never going to buy it, and neither were any other nations. It was a white elephant.

Yes by today's standards those things you point out were lacking.

But it has been 60 years.

Oh and by the way, congrats on your longevity. My Mother-in-Law was a designer as well and she just turned 93.....

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Time to step up for Avro Arrow replica
By Joe Warmington, Toronto Sun
First posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 04:50 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, October 19, 2017 05:04 PM EDT
At long last, a physical reminder of missing Avro Arrow has been found.
Turns out a replica of the defunct supersonic CF-105 Canadian fighter jet — built to target Soviet spy planes during the Cold War — is not with the remains of the real models at the bottom of Lake Ontario.
She’s hidden off of Derry Rd., tucked away at Pearson International Airport, near an Air Transat Hangar.
Sitting there abandoned, wings removed and exposed to the elements.
You can’t see the iconic markings on this Canadian legend, but there is no mistaking that shape and design.
“It’s a darn shame,” said Brian Munro, a volunteer at the now closed Toronto Air and Space Museum. “I can’t imagine treating a piece of Canadian history like this.”
All of the Avro planes were destroyed when the program was cancelled in the late 1950s. There is a terrific effort underway to raise some of the unmanned Arrow models that were test fired into Lake Ontario.
When they are brought up, they will be the actual pieces from the Arrow program that was cancelled.
But just a stone’s throw from a new Tim Hortons — the same spot where the Super Connie Airplane Bar was once located — photographer Mike Peake and I found the Avro Arrow replica.
“It took us volunteers 10 years to build it,” said Munro, an aviation enthusiast who is also a trained pilot. “It is identical to what was built in Malton back — on both the outside and in the cockpit.”
And for quite a while, it sat proudly at the Canadian Air and Space Museum out at Downsview Park. But when that place was closed in 2012, it was left homeless.
The replica was moved to Pearson with great fanfare and hope that its future would be bright and shiny.
Now a one-time symbol of Canadian innovation has been relegated to a far corner of the airport behind a wire fence.
“It’s just wrong,” said Munro. “It’s ironic that the very way the Avro was erased all those years ago has happened again.”
Another irony is Oct. 20 is the Avro Arrow’s designer Jim Floyd’s 103rd birthday. He has already been awarded the Wright Brother’s medal so what could we give him as a gift?
Why not put the wings back on his jet and display it for the whole world to marvel at?
“If I had my way, they would open up a new Toronto air museum at Downsview as was promised,” said Munro. “That would be the best place for the Arrow and so many other planes and memorabilia which are also hidden somewhere that we don’t even know — 47 tractor trailers of stuff including a Lancaster Bomber and some of the Snowbird planes.”
I know this is all really political and there’s no evil bad guy. I understand there is no easy solution and it is not a priority for any government.
But if Justin Trudeau’s Liberals have $10.5-million for a payout to Omar Khadr and $20 million to donate to the Clinton Foundation, you would think there could be a little bit somewhere to properly highlight Canada’s aviation history.
Maybe the private sector can help? But if anybody tries to sell it, Munro reminds it may not be theirs to do that.
“The Arrow is owned by the volunteers who built it and I can tell you they want it displayed prominently so people can see it,” he said.
And not forgotten about under a tattered tarp.
jwarmington@postmedia.com
Time to step up for Avro Arrow replica | WARMINGTON | Toronto & GTA | News | Tor

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls

Comparing any 1950s vehicle to todays is ludicrous, that's the kinda stuff politicians pull when trying to justify the unjustifiable. The arrow was head and shoulders above any other fighter in the world, the last thing the u.s. wanted to see was an ace not from their deck. Dumb assed dief bought all the u.s. bs about manned fighter jets nearing obsolescence n' thought bomarcs would like nice in our northern garden.
In my estimation had the arrow continued to develop we'd enjoy a successful aero industry instead of shopping for u.$. manned fighters we can't afford so we dicker with the aussies for their used junk. Instead of making our own kites with our labour we'll end up with bargain basement used kites to go along with our used rusty ole subs, we're value villages' fav client.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Avro Arrow was made by American company, Ford Aerospace, from plans prepared in Mexico. It was named after Avro Ford, nephew of Henry.

Nope. Avro was A.V. Roe and Company, which was established at Brownsfield Mill, Great Ancoats Street, Manchester, by Alliott Verdon Roe and his brother Humphrey Verdon Roe on 1 January 1910.

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
You remember the Edsel? It was named after Edsel Ford, Henry's only child. The Ford family had real trouble in the fifties.

The Avro Arrow was made by American company, Ford Aerospace, from plans prepared in Mexico. It was named after Avro Ford, nephew of Henry. When Avro was 8 or 9, he would often get away from his nannies and run around the estate where he he lived, pretending to fly planes. The trouble was, he ran around naked and drooled a lot.

In the early 1950s, while making cars and military equipment, Ford decided to create a plane which would later become known as the Avro Arrow. He hoped that it would curb Avro's intense desire to be naked and reduce his drooling. By 1950, he had matured, and it was embarrassing for the family when he would dash across the patio, when his parents had people over. It was said that Avro was very well endowed, which was a distraction.

Because the family was embarrassed about young Avro and his eccentricities, they decided to have the plane made. But they didn't want anyone to know why it was being built or who it was for. The Fords decided to make it in Canada. They hired a drunken British engineer, Eldon Myers, and paid him to show up to work in Malton (now a part of Mississauga, just outside of Toronto), pretend to be in charge (but actually drink for the day) and then be driven home.

Ford got their plane, but sadly, Avro never got to see it. He was struck by a delivery van on the estate grounds in the summer of 1957, about 8 months before the plane's first flight. The body went for almost two weeks before the Ford family identified him. The trouble? When police arrived, they couldn't find any identification on the body because Avro was naked.

Had trouble with a ford product eh, edsel was a pretty nifty car only a tad too 'different' for the time sorta like push button drive and the Henry J. As in most things timing is everything n'consumers were not ready for ford, chrysler and kaiser advances however the arrows' demise was purely political, the u.s. was not pleased to witness a superior kite sporting the canadian roundel, too bad ottawa as per usual fears success.

In all, this was a classic case of too little, too soon. Like Hudson's equally ill-starred Jet, the Henry J was the wrong car at the wrong time.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/henry-j-cars.htm

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Had trouble with a ford product eh, edsel was a pretty nifty car only a tad too 'different' for the time sorta like push button drive and the Henry J. As in most things timing is everything n'consumers were not ready for ford, chrysler and kaiser advances however the arrows' demise was purely political, the u.s. was not pleased to witness a superior kite sporting the canadian roundel, too bad ottawa as per usual fears success.

In all, this was a classic case of too little, too soon. Like Hudson's equally ill-starred Jet, the Henry J was the wrong car at the wrong time.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/henry-j-cars.htm

That was the car with a vagina on the front. Ford Senior probably asked his designers for"something that looks like a Volvo" and the memo was sent around with a big typo error.