Are B.C. school teachers being realistic

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Private schools and charters pay better and charge tuitions and do indeed get public funding in BC. School trustees which are elected by their local peoples (public non-union) want to stop the funding of private schools and put it toward public. It's called Democracy. Got something against Democracy?

Families that send their kids to Charter/Private schools pay property taxes as well (read education taxes). Are they not entitled to get the direct benefit from that or is that a little too democratic for you?

Would you get out of bed in the morning for $1250 a week gross pay?

Is that amount they get for the 2 weeks they take off to help out their sick friends?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
This is a great idea for the whole working class if it was the death of a family member. Friends.. That's more difficult to pin down because we don't know how close the friend is to the teacher. I'm sure the grieving process would still be great, but they should have to bite the bullet on this one.

That said, I think a 2-week holiday for family grievences should be granted to all of us.

The real question is: Who is on the hook to pay for the time?

I don't believe that anyone would begrudge someone for taking a leave of absence for the aforementioned purpose,, however, incorporating that as a contractual right as a paid component is silly.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The real question is: Who is on the hook to pay for the time?

I don't believe that anyone would begrudge someone for taking a leave of absence for the aforementioned purpose,, however, incorporating that as a contractual right as a paid component is silly.

Well yeah, most people get at least two weeks holidays a year and no one is stopping them from using them for this purpose if they choose. Why someone would want to do this beats me!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Well yeah, most people get at least two weeks holidays a year and no one is stopping them from using them for this purpose if they choose. Why someone would want to do this beats me!

Because it's more "free" time at the expense of the taxpayer.

It's interesting to consider exactly how many of these grief-striken people would volunteer their holiday time to accommodate sick friends or grieve a loss is it was on their own dime... Chances are that they'd take the 1/2 day off for a funeral or stop by the sick friends house on the way home from work, but not spend their own actual time on doing it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You hit one but Chilean imports are cheaper.

Majority of forestry land and logging rights are leased from the Crown. It's not from private land.

Wrong again. Majority of raw log exports in B.C. are from private land. It is much harder to export logs from crown land although it can be done.SO how is this any different than exporting wheat instead of bread or crude oil instead of gas and diesel?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one. Getting right back to work is the best therapy, sitting around grieving does neither the deceased or the survivers one bit of good. I say they should get 1/2 day off work for the funeral and then get back at it.

Well give them the option at least. The thing with friends is that it is difficult to prove the significance of relationship between both parties, so it it's immediately a bust anyway.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Private schools and charters pay better and charge tuitions and do indeed get public funding in BC. School trustees which are elected by their local peoples (public non-union) want to stop the funding of private schools and put it toward public. It's called Democracy. Got something against Democracy?

BC Guide for Independent Schools - Grants - BC Ministry of Education

Would you get out of bed in the morning for $1250 a week gross pay?

Most of us do. Many do it for a lot less. With no perks.

This is a great idea for the whole working class if it was the death of a family member. Friends.. That's more difficult to pin down because we don't know how close the friend is to the teacher. I'm sure the grieving process would still be great, but they should have to bite the bullet on this one.

That said, I think a 2-week holiday for family grievences should be granted to all of us.

So take two weeks, just don't expect your employer to pay for if.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Families that send their kids to Charter/Private schools pay property taxes as well (read education taxes). Are they not entitled to get the direct benefit from that or is that a little too democratic for you?

Is that amount they get for the 2 weeks they take off to help out their sick friends?
Yeah they pay property taxes which fund their charter school. Your point?

$60K a year before taxes. $23 an hour. Would you get out of bed in the morning for that? That's starting wage for a trade. FFS

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah man Democracy in action you got something against democracy and non-union elected school boards?

So there is no way in hell you'd get out of bed to tend to a bunch snot nose little brats for $23 an hour?

$23 an hour is joke.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah man Democracy in action you got something against democracy and non-union elected school boards?

So there is no way in hell you'd get out of bed to tend to a bunch snot nose little brats for $23 an hour?

$23 an hour is joke.

Lots of people would give their eye teeth for $23 an hour and probably quite a few for half that! :smile:

I don't pretend to know all the ramifications of the teachers feeling of justification for job action but as a grandparent with two school aged girls living with us I am aware of some of the things that go on. I would be willing to listen to sensible talk, but when the hare brained request for two weeks off for the death of a "friend", is a little beyond the pale and enough I would guess to make many people quit listening. That in itself defines the room temperature I.Q. of the union honchos! :roll:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lots of people would give their eye teeth for $23 an hour and probably quite a few for half that! :smile:

I don't pretend to know all the ramifications of the teachers feeling of justification for job action but as a grandparent with two school aged girls living with us I am aware of some of the things that go on. I would be willing to listen to sensible talk, but when the hare brained request for two weeks off for the death of a "friend", is a little beyond the pale and enough I would guess to make many people quit listening. That in itself defines the room temperature I.Q. of the union honchos! :roll:
If you want to be part of the action go attend schoolboard meetings. They are public. You can speak your mind all you want. Hell you can even run for the board if you wanted.

$23 an hour is a joke. If you know people with their grade 12 who want to work tell them to come to Sask. We'll gladly take your educated unemployed and put them to work. No problem. We need 10,000 today minimum but that would mean BC would lose 10,000 people in transfer payments and all your public services would be hit even harder.

It's time BC grew up and staredt to actually produced things other than trees, crackheads and whiny debutants.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you want to be part of the action go attend schoolboard meetings. They are public. You can speak your mind all you want. Hell you can even run for the board if you wanted.

$23 an hour is a joke. If you know people with their grade 12 who want to work tell them to come to Sask. We'll gladly take your educated unemployed and put them to work. No problem. We need 10,000 today minimum but that would mean BC would lose 10,000 people in transfer payments and all your public services would be hit even harder.

It's time BC grew up and staredt to actually produced things other than trees, crackheads and whiny debutants.

Cheer up, Petros, the sun is shining, no need to get upset over a bunch of banter. :smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh I am a very happy camper JLM. If BC didn't have a such a useless bunch of twats in Victoria maybe I'd move back to Winfield and we could go for a beer and pig out on sausage from Helmut and Paula's in Oyama.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh I am a very happy camper JLM. If BC didn't have a such a useless bunch of twats in Victoria maybe I'd move back to Winfield and we could go for a beer and pig out on sausage from Helmut and Paula's in Oyama.

Winfield is a bit of a "concrete jungle" now- lots of bad actors and mischief happening there. However a new highway is under construction between Winfield and Oyama, way up the hill above the old highway, which will remain open for lake access. :smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Winfield is a bit of a "concrete jungle" now- lots of bad actors and mischief happening there. However a new highway is under construction between Winfield and Oyama, way up the hill above the old highway, which will remain open for lake access. :smile:
Up over Spinycop and OK Center Rd?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah they pay property taxes which fund their charter school. Your point?

The point is that I was commenting at your cavalier response about 'democracy'... On that note, and seeing that you're all for democracy, shouldn't the families that pay the education taxes get full value applied to the schools that their kids attend as opposed to just 80%?

$60K a year before taxes. $23 an hour. Would you get out of bed in the morning for that? That's starting wage for a trade. FFS

So what?.. Fact is, teachers that produce results are snapped-up by the Charter/Private systems and are paid a premium, they don't need a union to lobby that they get weeks off at a time to help sick friends... That demand has got to be the most ridiculous caveat ever, but considering that it is a union demand, well, stupidity is just par for the course.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just got to wondering since the teachers are withholding about 1/3 of their services, maybe 1/3 of their pay should be withheld! :lol: