ANTI-AMERICAN BIAS --- THE ZEITGEIST OF THE WORLD

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: ANTI-AMERICAN BIAS --

Milsovec, Mugabe, Saddam, and Kim are not presently occupying a country to control a resource that's killing the planet. They do not have a history of trying to dominate the international stage. They do not force unfair trade restrictions on other nations while ignoring international rulings. They are not trying to privatise water in countries their leader has likely never even heard of.

They are bad people, but their sphere's are limited. As for there never being any protests against them...wrong again, my little buckaroo. Human rights groups have been protesting against them constantly. The protests aren't as large, but they do exist. Why would they be as large when the sphere's of those dictators are limited?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Anti-Americanism is nothing new. It's as old as America itself. Bush is not the cause for anti-americanism, it's just the current excuse.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Yeah, because it's way easier to scream "anti-American" than to actually look at the policies and actions of your government.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
You're not the best example of only being Anti-Bush Rev and not anti-american, I reiterate, anti-americanism is as old as 400 years and counting.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

You certainly aren't the best example of somebody who has examined your country's policies and actions and compared to the ebb and flow of what you consider to be anti-Americanism.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Quite the contrary, am I very well aware of my country's policies and the motives behind them. And I know very well what it is to be anti-american, you are a perfect example of it. And that is quite fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

So you think it's okay to kill women and children for oil? You think it's fine to deny people life-saving drugs because you want to protect corporate profits? You think that letting children die because their parents can't afford water is a good thing?

Oh, I'm sorry...I guess that speaking out people dying in the name of corporate greed makes me anti-American.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Nice try Rev, but I don't bite. I have read your posts, perhaps you should go back and read them. You have made it abundantly clear anything south of you as far as the Rio Grande is best to be over with ASAP. But I have news for you, we won't. We'll still be here for a while yet, and when the time comes for a new superpower to emerge as history has proven time and again, we will still be hated. This is about anti-americanism, isn't it?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
If they had been strictly policies I would stand beside you with one voice (although I don't agree with everything you say). But what does the comment "Americans are all about money" have to do with policies? What does the comment "You're not going down there again until we straighten ourselves out", and in reply someone said, "that's silly who stands to lose, you or them", and your answer of course, "Them". What does that have to do with Bush? Where have you derived the notion that as a populace all we care about is money? And straighten what out? Views that aren't shared by you? Like what? Same Sex marriages? Abortion? Health Care? What is the defining characteristic that you have seen in the American population that makes you comment as you did?
For me, you are similar to Samuel Johnson, who said “I am willing to love all mankind except an American”
I agree, Bush certainly brings out the worst in people towards the US and I can't blame them. This goes far beyond Bush and his predecessors.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Your assumption that I am talking about the American population goes against something I have stated many times...that when we say "Americans" we mean your government. That leaves me wondering if you've actually read my posts or not. Actually it doesn't...your attempts to cherry pick a few quotes you think support you are laughable.

Let's detail it a bit for you though.

"Americans are all about money" have to do with policies?

Check out your government's actions abroad. Check out your trade policies. Check out your aid policies.

"You're not going down there again until we straighten ourselves out"

Who is your president?

and your answer of course, "Them"

I'm not missing anything by not going to the US. I know that pisses you off, but you have nothing to offer that I need, and less and less that I want all of the time. Your are missing any money I might spend while I'm down there. So who is missing out? You are.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Reverend Blair said:
Going to the US always reminded me of The Weight by The Band...everything's just off.

Reverend Blair said:
The fact is that things are different in the US. Even the friendliest Americans are not Canadian. They have far different values then us. Money is more important to them. There is an attitude of, "my country right or wrong" that makes political discussion dfficult. The Christian religion plays a much larger role in the US. They have allowed religion to influence politics.

I haven't been to the US since the millenium. I have no plans to go back until they straighten themselves out. If you want to go though, Blue, feel free.

Yes, all this sounds pretty government oriented to me. And by the way, if you think I'm pissed off that you don't visit, you're more anti-american than I ever thought.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Are you saying that Canadians and Americans have the same values, I think not? Are you saying that you aren't more money-oriented than Canadians as a culture?

The fact is that you are more money-oriented. It shows up in everything from your television shows to your political policies. You do let Christianity play a much larger role in your politics. You are different than us. Now, if you are ashamed of those differences, that's your problem.

If you've spent as much time in Canada as you claim, if you've done anything more than hunker down in your hotel room watching US television, then you've seen the differences as well.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: ANTI-AMERICAN BIAS --

Reverend Blair said:
Are you saying that Canadians and Americans have the same values, I think not? Yep

Are you saying that you aren't more money-oriented than Canadians as a culture? Most definately I'm saying that

The fact is that you are more money-oriented. It shows up in everything from your television shows to your political policies.

You mean like in Canada?

You are different than us. Now, if you are ashamed of those differences, that's your problem.

No, it's your problem that you actually believe that there are vast differences. But it's not your fault, it has been foisted upon you by years of indoctrination in your schools and the "objective" CBC. And yes before you jump, I mean like Fox.

If you've spent as much time in Canada as you claim, if you've done anything more than hunker down in your hotel room watching US television, then you've seen the differences as well.

Getting a bit nasty Rev? You have no concept what I have done in your country, none. And what I have strived for, both for Americans and Canadians alike. What I do, what I have done is ignore views such as yours to provide better opportunity to our students (our common future). And I do alot more than post anti-american rant

Back to the subject at hand since your getting nasty, you can't admit you're anti-american because to do so would admit you're a bigot. Bigotry is in fact the core of everything "anti", is it not? Anit-SSM? Anti-Abortion? etc...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Not getting nasty at all, think not...just pointing out that you don't seem to have much of a gradp of Canada and are making the mistake of seeing it as an extension of the United States.

By the way, the money and religion things have been showing up in polls for a very long time. All indications are that your country and ours are moving different directions culturally.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: ANTI-AMERICAN BIAS --

Reverend Blair said:
Not getting nasty at all, think not...just pointing out that you don't seem to have much of a gradp of Canada and are making the mistake of seeing it as an extension of the United States.

The very first thing I learned was never mistake Canada as an extension of the United States. That is a misconception Canadians have towards Americans. We invest in Canada and you view it as we are taking over your country, might I add that there are over 8 trillion dollars in foreign investment in the US? Is that to say they are taking us over? So I guess we should be mad at the world? Are there some who believe that? Yes, unfortunately, are they ignorant and stupid for assuming as such? I would say so. It is true however I do see Canadians as a brother nation, maybe thats my mistake. I am not ashamed of it by no means, as a matter of fact, I take pride in it.

By the way, the money and religion things have been showing up in polls for a very long time.

As long as Bush has been around for sure. It will end.

All indications are that your country and ours are moving different directions culturally.

Take a walk in the streets Rev in the US, talk to people, listen to the people. I am not interested in statistics nor what Rick Mercer's "Talking to Americans" has to say.

You should be a bit more flexible Rev, I can understand peoples frustration over Bush, and yes we have had our fair share of f*ckups in the world. The bottom line to get back on topic is that there is such a thing as anti-americanism, it exists and it permeates Canadian society.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
it exists and it permeates Canadian society.

I wouldn't go as far as anti americanism Permeating in our society. I find that the main bulk of people are worried about the current administration and how it may effect them, but are otherwise indifferent to the american public in general. We do hope your next elections will prove more favourably...for yourselves and for the world.

On the left side of the spectrum, and more of a minority are those who dislike the route the US is going and label it on the common american.

To the right, are the canadians who think we should be more american. I guess to put it visually it would look like this:

:x :x --- :? :? :? :? :? --- :D :D

Anti american sentiment you say has been around for 400 years, well that may be true, but it's only in recent history that it's becoming more common. After all anti-whoever sentiment is always around, I could easily say there's been anti canadian sentiment for the last 136 years (56 years in Newfoundland), People have been anti British for much longer than they have been anti american...just ask some of the french.

There's always going to be someone resenting you/us for some reason or other, whether it's for a valid reason or as selfish as basic jealousy. But think when the commonality of the anti american sentiment is rising, especially as-of-late there are more valid reasons for it than just envy.