Annexation of Canada to the United States of America.

51% of Canadians voted YES to join USA.

• Would ou fight for Canadian Sovereignty, by any means..

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Leave Canada

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Nope, join the USA and spread butt cheeks

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • other..

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
The Confederate flag represents a failed ideology. From racism and segregation, to the use of violence and murder as a form of forwarding an agenda.

I won't go so far as to say the collective that is Quebec embodies those ideals. But gov'ts of Quebec have managed to enact legislation, and act or speak, in a manner not dissimilar to them.

The blaming of the ethnic vote for a failed referendum, the belief that only Quebec separatism be taken seriously, while the gov't of the day largely ignored and marginalized the overwhelming and almost unanimous vote against separation, by the First Nations.

Quebec has changed a lot over the years. I still have bad memories of my life on the res in Maniwaki. I actually support Quebec's right to self determination in principle. But the collective view from it's leadership needs to straighten itself out before it comes to fruition.

Good point they tried a few times,and each time the people said NO but the PQ seems to have a hearing problem,or they have sh*t in their ears,and they still dream of making a country.

With what would they make a country if there is nothing to support it?
there is apparently oil under an island in the St Lawrence PM Charest started his "Plan Nord" and as i said in other thread we still have "la clique du plateau" who always say no to everything,and their followers.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I hate to rain on parades but it's a downpour. We are already integrated.

Really? So we can just cross the border one day with nothing more than maybe a passport and settle down like anyone else and vote in US elections? Hardly. Free trade alone is not integration.

You wanna make jokes, go to the joke forums. Questions about the disintegration of my Country I take seriously.

Define your coutry?

For me, my country is the earth, and my fellow men my co-citizens. Canada is an administrative detail like every other country.

Why do people insist on such a myopic view of their fellow man and build artificial barriers between themselves.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Good point they tried a few times,and each time the people said NO but the PQ seems to have a hearing problem,or they have sh*t in their ears,and they still dream of making a country.
As is their right to do so.

With what would they make a country if there is nothing to support it?
After the Cree take Ruperts Land back, and the Mohawk take the St. Lawrence.

A failing corporate sector and manufacturing base.

Why do people insist on such a myopic view of their fellow man and build artificial barriers between themselves.
Instinct and an understanding that not everyone thinks like you.

It's tribal dude!

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
As is their right to do so.

After the Cree take Ruperts Land back, and the Mohawk take the St. Lawrence.

A failing corporate sector and manufacturing base.

Instinct and an understanding that not everyone thinks like you.

It's tribal dude!

I forgot to add,by now they should have gotten the message,and stop dreaming,we're in 2012 and its too late,they'll never get what they want.

Also they deffinitly act like racists,with the freaking language law and the language nazis who spend their time ticketing business owners for any retarded reasons from the business name "Second Cup" or Canadian Tire" to the english part should be "smaller" interestingly they seems to only target english.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I forgot to add,by now they should have gotten the message,and stop dreaming,we're in 2012 and its too late,they'll never get what they want.
Never say never. It's a dream, but they have the right to dream it.

Also they deffinitly act like racists,with the freaking language law and the language nazis who spend their time ticketing business owners for any retarded reasons from the business name "Second Cup" or Canadian Tire" to the english part should be "smaller" interestingly they seems to only target english.
The provincial gov't as enacted all manner of draconian legislation that leads me to believe they aren't ready for independence.

I'm not at all comfortable with calling it racist or Nazi-esque.

It's misguided protectionism. Based on frustration and insecurity, IMHO.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Never say never. It's a dream, but they have the right to dream it.

The provincial gov't as enacted all manner of draconian legislation that leads me to believe they aren't ready for independence.

I'm not at all comfortable with calling it racist or Nazi-esque.

It's misguided protectionism. Based on frustration and insecurity, IMHO.
Well as a french canadian i see it as that,some are still stuck in the past,like it justify doing today to english speaking quebecers what what was done to french speaking canadian in the past.

Also they kinda act like one is a traitor if he want to learn english.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
the reason they are so different is because of the reasons for secession. the reason the south wanted to secede is not even remotely similar to the reason quebec wants to secede. thing is, history books have convinced people that the american civil war was basically about rich white plantation owners throwing a hissy fit over the abolition movement. however, that's completely not the case. the short form is that the south realized they didn't really need the north. they were tired of financing a government that served their interests less and less. the south had most of the land and raw materials, so their agrarian based economy was capable of operating without assistance from the north. the north was just beginning the industrial revolution.
this is what they based their economy on. they were not so independent of the south because of their greater need for raw materials, food and land. it wasn't about abolitionists at all. slavery had to end, whether anyone liked it or not. the world was growing less tolerant of it every day. however, the north only wanted to end slavery in name only. when slavery was abolished there were huge riots in the north, especially in new york city. hundreds of blacks were beaten to death over it. the north, being flooded by irish immigrants, had a steady stream of men to fight their war for them. many of them stepped right off the boat at ellis island, and right into a union army uniform. the south, not so much. people like to tell happy tales of the underground railroad, and how all these white folks above the mason dixon line wanted to help the black man escape the opression of the southern plantation owner. what they actually wanted was cheap labor. look how long it took america to garantee basic human rights to the black man. it literally took another hundred years (almost exactly) before racial equality began to be more uniformly enforced and accepted. and still from there, another 15+ years before total desegregation in every state was made into law. so there ya go. now you have the cliff notes for what really happened. oh, and one thing worth pointing out. unlike quebec, when the confederacy wanted to secede, they had money. lots of it. the country as a whole was not in deficit, and the south was not trying to dodge their share of the national debt. no one, north or south swore allegiance to a foreign power. in the end, the states would not be what they are had they allowed to confederacy to continue.
both sides are the better for it.

Bad history lesson

This little attempt at history is so far from the truth.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I like the US. Its fun to visit and I have plenty of American friends. Even so I have no desire to become an American or to see my country disappear.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I like the US. Its fun to visit and I have plenty of American friends. Even so I have no desire to become an American or to see my country disappear.

Actually, anyone living anywhere from the Canadian North to the Southern tip of Argentina is an American. The US is but a part of it.

But if there were a union, it would not just be Canada joining the US, but rather a formation of something greater than either of the separate parts.

Also, had we had the same attitudes at Confederation, Canada would not exist today,but instead we'd have various little countries North of the US border.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I'd be opposed to the USA annexing Canada, but a union on equal terms I could go for.

I prefer Canada's parliamentary system overall, though I could see the Governor General being replaced by a weak executive president elected by parliament or something else of the sort.

I might be open to adopting the US Constitution wholesale as long as we are treated equally (i.e. whatever standard they use for representaiotn in government woudl apply to us too), and that it be a willing union without coertion (i.e. both countries' governments meet the Constitutional requirements of their respective countries to adopt the new common cosntitution).
Are you talking about the American Constitution with all the amendments?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Are you talking about the American Constitution with all the amendments?

Along with whatever other amendment would be required to incorporporate Canada as an equal partner.

Though again, overall I'd rather more of a British-style parliamentary system with an elected executive head with mostly ceremonial powers, pehaps elected by Parliament.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well as a french canadian i see it as that,some are still stuck in the past,like it justify doing today to english speaking quebecers what what was done to french speaking canadian in the past.
I can understand the feeling of need for vengeance. I don't necessarily agree with its practice,

Also they kinda act like one is a traitor if he want to learn english.
Or visa versa.

I know it's tribal. I just can't understand why the tribalism in this day and age.
Because it's instinct.

We're born with it.

Some learn to deal with it. Some harness it. Some learn to ignore it. Some are controlled by it.

Sadly though, so long as it exists, we are always going to have to deal with "Us v Them" in some way. Focusing on just one side of that equation, is both nonsensical, and dangerous.

cheezy

Jun 7, 2012
toronto
Bad history lesson

This little attempt at history is so far from the truth.

then by all means, pick it all apart, show everyone where i'm wrong. can you do it, or have i only offended your liberal sensibilities? anyone can say this or that thing is wrong. let's see you back it up.
you see, i can post sources to prop up everything i said. like it or not, it's historical fact. just because liberals write the history books people read in the 4th grade, doesn't mean they are accurate.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
then by all means, pick it all apart, show everyone where i'm wrong. can you do it, or have i only offended your liberal sensibilities? anyone can say this or that thing is wrong. let's see you back it up.
you see, i can post sources to prop up everything i said. like it or not, it's historical fact. just because liberals write the history books people read in the 4th grade, doesn't mean they are accurate.

*snicker* you called Eaglesmack a liberal? *snicker snicker snicker* he's gotta be loving that...

The poll seems like a troll with no real desire for discussion (based on the wording of both question and responses) so I'll refrain from further comment.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Actually, anyone living anywhere from the Canadian North to the Southern tip of Argentina is an American. The US is but a part of it.

Semantics. The US has more or less formed a monopoly on the term "American."