America’s Stay-at-Home Ex-President

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Freedom of speech does not guarantee one an audience. :)

That is true... but she would have had one. Whether you like her or not she would have had one.

Uncommented:smile:

Nice!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That is true... but she would have had one. Whether you like her or not she would have had one.

Yeah, but it still annoys me that when a group of students stand up and declare that they do not want to be audience to her, it is ignored as the exercise in free speech that it is. They said they do not want to hear what she has to say, and that's just as valid an exercise of free speech, as anything she would have had to say.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yeah, but it still annoys me that when a group of students stand up and declare that they do not want to be audience to her, it is ignored as the exercise in free speech that it is. They said they do not want to hear what she has to say, and that's just as valid an exercise of free speech, as anything she would have had to say.

They were heard loud and clear if I can remember.

How can people who want free speech demand that another's right to speak is denied? But then again it was pointed out to Ann that Free Speech Laws do not apply in Canada so maybe my point is moot. Then the students were simply demanding the Govt. of Canada to enforce the law stating that she does not have the right to speak freely in Canada as she would in the US.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I support everyone's right to free speech including ex-President George W. Bush. At the same time I also support bringing war criminals to justice. The preferred option would be if Americans arrest their war criminals. Bush can say whatever he wants at his trial or from his prison cell.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
They were heard loud and clear if I can remember.

How can people who want free speech demand that another's right to speak is denied? But then again it was pointed out to Ann that Free Speech Laws do not apply in Canada so maybe my point is moot. Then the students were simply demanding the Govt. of Canada to enforce the law stating that she does not have the right to speak freely in Canada as she would in the US.

They protested her presence at the University. They had every right to do that. The University had every right to listen to that protest. She on the other hand, has no right to an audience. She can say whatever she wants, she just can't say it wherever she pleases. heck, even the US is coming around to the realization that freedom of speech does not mean you are guaranteed a venue or an audience.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I support everyone's right to free speech including ex-President George W. Bush. At the same time I also support bringing war criminals to justice. The preferred option would be if Americans arrest their war criminals. Bush can say whatever he wants at his trial or from his prison cell.

I suppose that would include Obama at this point as well?

They protested her presence at the University. They had every right to do that. The University had every right to listen to that protest. She on the other hand, has no right to an audience. She can say whatever she wants, she just can't say it wherever she pleases. heck, even the US is coming around to the realization that freedom of speech does not mean you are guaranteed a venue or an audience.

I heck yeah... NOBODY has a right to an audience. She didn't just show up though. She was invited somehow... true? But if an audience wishes to hear her or anyone they should be able too. No?

I am slightly cloudy on what you mean by a person having "no right" to an audience. Are you saying that government has the right to step in and say...

"You have no right to speak to this audience." or "You have no right to use the airwaves to speak to the listening audience."

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Just listening to Ann speak with that nasal-whine about it drives me batty.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I am slightly cloudy on what you mean by a person having "no right" to an audience. Are you saying that government has the right to step in and say...

"You have no right to speak to this audience." or "You have no right to use the airwaves to speak to the listening audience."

No, and it didn't in this case. The University was the one that told her not to come.

The government should not dictate where and when people speak so long as they have a willing audience and it's not hate speak. That's part of Canada's protected 'freedom of association' and 'freedom of assembly'.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No, and it didn't in this case. The University was the one that told her not to come.

The government should not dictate where and when people speak so long as they have a willing audience and it's not hate speak. That's part of Canada's protected 'freedom of association' and 'freedom of assembly'.

Why was she even going to the university to begin with? Someone had to invite her.

I find the term "hate speak" is rather odd and it causes me to roll my eyes. Here, the liberal/left call Talk Radio "hate speak" because it is pretty much conservative right dominated. They cannot break into Talk Radio as there is not much of an audience for US liberal radio as "Air America" has shown.

After a bit of research the Univ of Ottawa DID invite her and then told her not to come because of student protests and security concerns.

So she was invited... many students yelled and screamed saying she shouldn't be able to speak... the University withdrew the invitation. So clearly the students were indeed heard.

But there is also tit for tat on who actually did the cancelling of the event. Nevertheless, she was scheduled to speak.

Lets face it... conservative speakers do not do well on any college campus for the most part.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Just one teenie little question...
What about the rights of the students who did invite her Huh?
The ones that didn't like her were not obligated to go listen to her.

And the left are not bullies in most Canadian Universities?:roll:

Is it free speech to stifle and bully someone elses free speech?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

The rights of the students that did want to hear what she had to say were superceeded by the protestors that did not want her to be heard. Heck... even the university president sent her a letter basically telling her to watch what she says or there could be "criminal charges". Ah well.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Well in a democracy the majority rules. :p

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Well... when you're paying into an institution, you get a say in what it spends its money hosting, imo. So, yeah, I think the students rightly get to say if they do not want a certain speaker.

As for your second statement with the eye rolls... what?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Well... when you're paying into an institution, you get a say in what it spends its money hosting, imo. So, yeah, I think the students rightly get to say if they do not want a certain speaker.

As for your second statement with the eye rolls... what?

I wonder if the University had to pay a cancellation fee?:lol:

Well in a democracy the majority rules. :p

And stifle's free speech which is supposed to be for everyone....not just the majority.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Why did they invite her in the first place?

OR...

Did a student group invite her and other students decide that they did not want her to speak at all?

And stifle's free speech which is supposed to be for everyone....not just the majority.

She was warned by the university President that she could face criminal charges if she says things that are inappropriate. Also, if I can recall a student said to a camera...

"She has to realize she's not in the US and she can't come up here and say whatever she wants!"

To which I chuckled... just a little.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I guess you forgot to put the smiley face at the end of that sentence. :lol:
YouTube - Rand Paul Supporters Overreact

I guess you missed the complete video of that little debacle a few month ago..
Now watch the video completely and the sequence of event...First she tries to get to him as the limo is moving...she is stopped...that is not where the head stomping occurred.....she runs around the limo while it is stopping and comes back around the front of the vehicle running.....still carrying her sign...and that is where she is finaly tackled as she is trying to reach rand paul a second time......Watch at around 55second into the video...

YouTube - Lauren Valle-What the liberal media doesn't want you to see

Edit....here's your smillie...

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I just did a little more research and found a Youtube clip of two University students gleefull that they shut Ann down.

As the lad said...

"Ann has to realize that freedom of speech laws are different up here. You can't say whatever you want. You can't use hate speech or you are going to have charges pressed against you, you B*tch."

lmao