American Culture of Violence & It's Related Politics

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Trust me, dude. Your overall state statistic isn't granular enough. This was Sutherland Springs. That's deep in John Wayne Jesus country, where family trees don't branch.
I really like the way you phrased that. It captures the essence perfectly.

Cudos. ;-)

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
When the brits banned guns, gun violence went up

A Home Office analysis cited by Cullen had found that, between 1992-94, 14% of firearm homicides had been committed with legally held weapons. Even allowing for some slippage of weapons from legal to illegal ownership and stolen firearms, nobody expected that the surrender of legal handguns would hugely impact the rates of gun enabled crime. But few expected the 105% increase in recorded handgun crime which occurred between 1998 and 2003

But the answers did not come all at once and, as the uptick in gun crime figures for 2015 suggests, there are no grounds for complacency.

http://theconversation.com/dunblane...gun-laws-and-the-challenge-it-faces-now-55896

reality sets in eh?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
If you want to see the USA win something sort that chart by number of guns.

They are number one there by a mile.

So they have 3.5 times higher murder rate and 5 times the number of guns than Canada.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Last edited:

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Do citizens (not police officers) with guns ever stop mass shootings?
By Eugene Volokh October 3, 2015

Eugene Volokh teaches free speech law, religious freedom law, church-state relations law, a First Amendment Amicus Brief Clinic, and an intensive editing workshop at UCLA School of Law, where he has also often taught copyright law, criminal law, tort law, and a seminar on firearms regulation policy.
---

Backers of laws that let pretty much all law-abiding people carry concealed guns in public places often argue that these laws will sometimes enable people to stop mass shootings. Opponents occasionally ask: If that’s so, what examples can one give of civilians armed with guns stopping such shootings? Sometimes, I hear people asking if even one such example can be found, or saying that they haven’t heard of even one such example.

A while back I posted about a few examples, but since then there have been some more, so I thought I’d note them. Naturally, such examples will be rare. Even in states which allow concealed carry, there often aren’t people near a shooting who have a gun on them at the time. Many mass shootings happen in supposedly “gun-free” zones (such as schools, universities, bars, or private property posted with a no-guns sign), in which gun carrying isn’t allowed in many states. And there is no central database of such examples, many of which don’t hit the national media, especially if a gunman is stopped before he shoots many victims. Moreover, at least some examples are ambiguous, because it might be unclear — as you’ll see below — whether the shooter had been planning to kill more people when he was stopped.

Still, for whatever they are worth, here is a list of some such incidents (which deliberately excludes killings stopped by people who were off-duty police officers, or police officers from other jurisdictions, at the time of a shooting, as well as some other cases which struck me as borderline):

The rest of the article, including at least 10 examples of armed citizens saving the day, is here. And imagine that, it was published in the Washington Post!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-stop-mass-shootings/?utm_term=.3f3e1494609b

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

A gun in the hands of an insane man.. #VegasStrong

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member