Al-Qaeda Wannabe Kept ‘Bomb’ on His Lap

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
"Saltpeter(nitrates) is the main ingredient in TNT as you just posted so do you even read the wiki links before posting them?:roll:"....

I was simply suggesting you`re not the nut you came across as when saying you built `gunpowder` out of these ingrediants, as a child.
Explosives, yes, gun-powder, no.

ps.....have you ever considered applying for work in this field overseas...Asia and the Middle East in particular? I hear it`s a lucrative occupation.:smile:

Pottasium nitrate is fertilizer,the main ingredient in anfo and saltpeter is the same thing.
Thats all we used in blasting in the mine,diesel and nitrates,pretty simple but I dont expect you to understand if you never worked on a blast crew like i did.
I dont hold a miners shift ticket without doing many hours on the blast crew.

I also have many youtube vid's taken from anfo blasts in Nunavut by me so if you really want to see what simple nitrates are capable of I would be more then happy to post them.
I can also tell you how to make black powder or something allmost as volatile out of saltpeter,icing sugar,sulpher and charcoal.

Saltpeter(nitrates) is the main ingredient in TNT as you just posted so do you even read the wiki links before posting them?:roll:
You posted this after I finished telling you Saltpeter was used as an explosive.

Beegee belched"Salt peter is most widely used in manufacturing nitric acid, however, which is in turn used to make Trinitrotoluene (TNT) and other modern explosives"

So what is it then,your contradicting yourself big time here.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
anfo is NOT gunpowder, and you were the one talking about making gunpowder from fertilizer.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
It doesn't take a very big hole to bring down a very big airplane -

Well, sometimes a very big hole still doesn't bring down an airplane. However, larger airplanes are more succeptible only due to the larger volume of pressurized air. The Aloha 737 below suffered a structural failure in flight, not a bomb, but still landed successfully.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I can't see why the US didn't react sooner to nab him.

Britain refused to offer him a student visa when he tried to get into Britain to study at a bogus university.

And I also can't see why the US persists in limiting passengers to one item of hand luggage - in Abdulmutallab's case it would have been a useless measure. Abdulmutallab had his explosives strapped around his leg and nobody thought of checking there. If other terrorists do the same and the US just keeps limiting passengers to one item of hand luggage then next time they might succeed in blowing up the plane.

Actually, they checked his leg, but yooooooooooono whut they say about Arabs. They thought it was "something else'.........nudge nudge, wink wink. eh wot.

Typical Brits: Denying a visa to study at the University of Bogus; second only to Oxfoid.....eh.

Bogus on Avon, even.

Jeez, Blackleaf, start treating your wannabees better, or the next target could be the Tiger Moth exhibit............or the (gasp!!) Spitfire on Thames.

8O glad they got the fukker just the same. too bad he hadn't "fell" outa the plane on landing.:-?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
ANFO is ammonium nitrate and diesel kids. RDX is used for subterranean blasting.

Anfo also requires rdx(boosters,caps,det cord) as an initializer,anyone whos worked blasting knows that.
I've never blasted underground but this product is used all the time in surface mining,anfo is used instead of stick dynamite because of the cost.
It still needs RDX or tnt to set it off.
I'm surprised someone with supposed blasting experience wouldnt know this.
You need to in order to get your blasters ticket here.
Theres a reason the law says they have to be stored seperately.
Hope this clears up petro's confusion or ignorance in surface blasting.:roll:

RDX is used as a base charge in detonators and in blasting caps.
RDX [Cyclonite - Hexahydro-1,3,5-trinitro-1,3,5-triazine]

RDX stands for Royal Demolition eXplosive. It is also known as cyclonite or hexogen. RDX is currently the most important military high explosive in the US. Cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine, C3H6N606 (RDX), is second in strength to nitroglycerin among common explosive substances. When compressed to a specific gravity of 1.70, it has a confined detonation velocity of about 27,000 fps. RDX is used as an explosive, usually in mixtures with other explosives, oils, or waxes. It has a high degree of stability in storage and is considered the most powerful and brisant of the military high explosives. RDX can be used alone or with other explosives, including PETN.t RDX can be mixed with plasticizers to make C-4, and the most common explosive combining RDX and PETN is Semtex. RDX forms the base for the following common military explosives: Composition A, Composition B, Composition C, HBX, H-6 and Cyclotol. Composition A consists of RDX melted with wax; in Composition B, RDX is mixed with TNT; and Composition C contains RDX blended with a non-explosive plasticizer. Pure RDX is used in press-loaded projectiles. Cast loading is accomplished by blending RDX with a relatively low melting point substance.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
anfo is NOT gunpowder, and you were the one talking about making gunpowder from fertilizer.

Yes Gerry,we made it from pottasium nitrate,charcoal,sulpher and sometimes icing sugar was added. :roll:
So here ya go,one of the ingredients in gunpowder is *gasp* fertilizer.

Gunpowder, also called black powder, is a mixture of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate.

Since it is rich in potassium, an element which is vital for plant growth, large quantities of potassium nitrate are used annually as fertilizer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
"Saltpeter(nitrates) is the main ingredient in TNT as you just posted so do you even read the wiki links before posting them?:roll:"....

I was simply suggesting you`re not the nut you came across as when saying you built `gunpowder` out of these ingrediants, as a child.
Explosives, yes, gun-powder, no.

ps.....have you ever considered applying for work in this field overseas...Asia and the Middle East in particular? I hear it`s a lucrative occupation.:smile:

I'm not a ticketed blaster,just worked the hard rock mines for 25 years and worked on the blasting crew for a few of them.I also hold a shifters ticket to supervise any hard rock mine in Nunavut so you need to know your blasting ****e to pass your test and supervise blasters.
You at least have to know what a c4 booster or det cap looks like or how to cut shock tube and test for petn.
You also have to know the laws on storing the stuff as non compliance means huge fines from the mines inspector and your ticket pulled.
Heres the last blast I was involved in,we were blasting the end of a runway for the airstrip at meadowbank mine Nunavut and I was blocking the one end off.
Watch closely right after the shot and you will see the blasters run for cover under the rock truck and then the dust as fly rock starts landing all around them.
I stopped filming then and crawled under my machine also.:cool:
YouTube - blasting at meadowbank

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
I can't see why the US didn't react sooner to nab him.

Britain refused to offer him a student visa when he tried to get into Britain to study at a bogus university.

And I also can't see why the US persists in limiting passengers to one item of hand luggage - in Abdulmutallab's case it would have been a useless measure. Abdulmutallab had his explosives strapped around his leg and nobody thought of checking there. If other terrorists do the same and the US just keeps limiting passengers to one item of hand luggage then next time they might succeed in blowing up the plane.
"Britain refused to offer him a student visa when he tried to get into Britain to study at a bogus university."
Uh ...the university of London is far from 'bogus'. It's been around since 1826, and was ranked 4th in the world. Hardly bogus.and he was there from 2005 -2008
You might want to check out the 'bogus university'.
About UCL
Bottom line is that there will always be people who don't quite fit the profile and unfortunately you can't screen every single person. It also goes to show that smart, well brought up people from nice families make horrible choices to do really dumb, really hurtful things.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
''why was he not on a no fly list since he HAD been tagged by the americans? ''

Didn't he get onboard overseas?

The US Transport Security Administration requires the full passenger name (as it appears on your passport), date of birth, and gender of ALL passengers departing, arriving, or transiting through the US 72 hours prior to their departing flight.

They had plenty of time to red flag this clown, given that even his father raised concerns to authorities. Sometimes makes you wonder if all these security measures are merely window dressing, or being seen to be doing something rather than actually doing something.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
*Much ado about nothing?*:roll:

By Jason Ditz December 26, 2009

Details continue to trickle in about 23 year old Nigerian Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab’s would-be attack on a Detroit-bound airplane, Northwest Flight 253 from Amsterdam.
Abdulmutallab apparently kept the small explosive device on his lap, and detonated it from there while sitting in his seat. Passengers say “it sounded like a firecracker in a pillowcase,” and yesterday officials said Abdulmutallab’s injuries were consistent with a firecracker size explosion. Officials now say the device may have been a condom containing a small amount of PETN.
The attacker appeared to believe that the powdered explosive was much more powerful, capable of destroying the plane. He also claimed to be affiliated with al-Qaeda, though officials now say they doubt that and he appears to have acted alone.
Alhaji Umaru Mutallab, Abdulmutallab’s father, says he is shocked his son was even allowed to fly to the US, and says he contacted the US months ago to warn them of his son’s “extreme religious views.” The US says they knew of him for “two years” and he was on a list of potential terrorists.
Still, Abdulmutallab was not on a no-fly list, and his trivial explosive charge, which managed to only burn his own lap and the hands of a passenger who tackled him, was somehow not detected when he boarded the plane.

JBeee
I have not read all 3 pages but your title - much ado about nothing - utter BS - If he had the correct mixture, which he did not, thankfully, that plane would have been blown out of the sky somewhere over Ontario.