Al-Qaeda Wannabe Kept ‘Bomb’ on His Lap

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
As far as the airport security was a quick swab likely would have picked up a trace of the explosive.
Ask any blaster who flys for work how hard it is to get through security at Winnipeg,Nisku or Calgary.
I had 4 blasters working with me up north and they would get scrutinized very thoroughly and turned back many times just from the residue which would be on anything metal or their laptop.
They started demanding we charter them in from Kamloops where they came from just to get by the sniffers and dogs.
That ****e doesnt just wash off.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The guy obviously didn't know what he was doing, so he was a wanna be acting out some fantasy. Probably couldn't get laid in this life so he was looking forward to his 72 virgins in the next. He probably won't be able to do much with his equipment now (depending how close to his crotch he had the "bomb" strapped).

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
when i travelled through seoul they questioned me about a lighter in my suitcase, and then getting back into vancouver they made us open up our geophysical equipment.... We were there for hours...

Although my charm got me through the lady at the check, when she asked me what i had in my bag i said books. But there was duty free vodka llol, probally nothing serious anyways lol

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
when i travelled through seoul they questioned me about a lighter in my suitcase, and then getting back into vancouver they made us open up our geophysical equipment.... We were there for hours...

Although my charm got me through the lady at the check, when she asked me what i had in my bag i said books. But there was duty free vodka llol, probally nothing serious anyways lol

One of our foreman got pulled off the plane at Nisku after they found a 6 pac of bic lighters on an x-ray of his bags.:smile:
He missed that flight.
Your going to a remote camp 60 kliks from the arctic circle hundreds of miles from anyone for 7 weeks and they only want to allow you one lighter.8O

I used to sprinkle them around,2 lighters to each of my 4 bags.
I would start at Lethbridge airport,get frisked,swabbed and searched(ahem,a bit low with the fingers there buddy8O)fly to Calgary on a beechcraft,get frisked and swabbed,catch a connector to Nisku,another frisk and swab,Winnipeg,same thing,then off to Thompson and Churchill where you get the same treatment but mostly because those Thompson girls are lonely.:cool:
Now if one of my 4 bags made it this far I was happy.

I think that guy was taking tips from Chopper on airport security myself.
Or maybe he should have been.:cool:
YouTube - Chopper at the Airport

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
PETN is the explosive we used to use in our det cord or shock tube(primacord) to set off the caps and then boosters when blasting and is very explosive.
A single 22 calibre primer is all we used to set it off.
Stretching live plastic primacord untill it breaks will also set off the PETN which is like a fine talcum powder inside the tube.
Nasty stuff all in all.

It’s too bad blast techs don't have to follow secrecy code. I am sure this information will come in handy for someone who wants to make a statement.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
It’s too bad blast techs don't have to follow secrecy code. I am sure this information will come in handy for someone who wants to make a statement.
In some of the mine's I have worked in the head blaster would come in to chair a safety meeting with over 150 guys and explain the dangers of finding live mis fires,the info is available anywhere on the net,just google prima cord.

There's also numerous video's on the net and I have quite a few myself as I have worked on a blasting crew in the mines.Christ,I was making gunpowder when I was 11 years old from dad's big bag of fertilizer for his greenhouse and we didnt have the internet back then.:cool:
I could also make gunpowder out of the big tin of saltpeter my first girlfriends dad used to feed to his daughters to curb their sex drive and replace it with flour.
He should have hid it better.:cool:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I hope the police keep him in jail for a long time because I don't think he will make the same mistake twice.

That passenger who tacled him deserves a medal

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
In some of the mine's I have worked in the head blaster would come in to chair a safety meeting with over 150 guys and explain the dangers of finding live mis fires,the info is available anywhere on the net,just google prima cord.

There's also numerous video's on the net and I have quite a few myself as I have worked on a blasting crew in the mines.Christ,I was making gunpowder when I was 11 years old from dad's big bag of fertilizer for his greenhouse and we didnt have the internet back then.:cool:
I could also make gunpowder out of the big tin of saltpeter my first girlfriends dad used to feed to his daughters to curb their sex drive and replace it with flour.
He should have hid it better.:cool:

interesting...you made gunpowder from fertilizer......and you made gunpowder from saltpeter..... trick.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
I said no such thing. As a matter of fact my only words in the initial OP were "much ado about nothing?" in asterisks....the rest, title and post is c/p. Clear?

I'm sure your hatred would be welcome.

Now I have a question or two for you about your topic header.
1) You say wannabe Al Qaeda,how do you know he wasnt with them?
2) You put bomb in quotation marks,are you trying to imply that petn couldnt make a bomb?

Your trying to lure peeps to your topic with false and misleading information as far as I can see so it warrants clarification.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
...and all without the help of the internet!!:lol:

I'd really like to hear HOW he made GUNPOWDER with fertilizer or with just saltpeter..... should be an interesting and enlightening read.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Bah...me thinks he`s full of (fertilizer).
*though it is possible he studied chemistry as a wee lad....*
Phosphorus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Black powder, oxidized with salt peter, is still used for small novelty explosives, such as fireworks and model rockets, though firearms typically use newer types of gunpowder. Salt peter is most widely used in manufacturing nitric acid, however, which is in turn used to make Trinitrotoluene (TNT) and other modern explosives. Nitric acid has many other applications as well, such as its use as a reagent in the laboratory and as an ingredient in plant fertilizers. Salt peter is also used as a fertilizer and as a stump remover, as it accelerates the decomposition process of tree stumps. "

Perhaps he meant `explosives`?

I'd really like to hear HOW he made GUNPOWDER with fertilizer or with just saltpeter..... should be an interesting and enlightening read.

Last edited:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Bah...me thinks he`s full of (fertilizer).
*though it is possible he studied chemistry as a wee lad....*
Phosphorus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Black powder, oxidized with salt peter, is still used for small novelty explosives, such as fireworks and model rockets, though firearms typically use newer types of gunpowder. Salt peter is most widely used in manufacturing nitric acid, however, which is in turn used to make Trinitrotoluene (TNT) and other modern explosives. Nitric acid has many other applications as well, such as its use as a reagent in the laboratory and as an ingredient in plant fertilizers. Salt peter is also used as a fertilizer and as a stump remover, as it accelerates the decomposition process of tree stumps. "

Perhaps he meant `explosives`?
Pottasium nitrate is fertilizer,the main ingredient in anfo and saltpeter is the same thing.
Thats all we used in blasting in the mine,diesel and nitrates,pretty simple but I dont expect you to understand if you never worked on a blast crew like i did.
I dont hold a miners shift ticket without doing many hours on the blast crew.

I also have many youtube vid's taken from anfo blasts in Nunavut by me so if you really want to see what simple nitrates are capable of I would be more then happy to post them.
I can also tell you how to make black powder or something allmost as volatile out of saltpeter,icing sugar,sulpher and charcoal.

Saltpeter(nitrates) is the main ingredient in TNT as you just posted so do you even read the wiki links before posting them?:roll:
You posted this after I finished telling you Saltpeter was used as an explosive.

Beegee belched"Salt peter is most widely used in manufacturing nitric acid, however, which is in turn used to make Trinitrotoluene (TNT) and other modern explosives"

So what is it then,your contradicting yourself big time here.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
interesting...you made gunpowder from fertilizer......and you made gunpowder from saltpeter..... trick.
Whats the main ingredient in gunpowder or any explosive Ger?
If you want to pick at word's i'm sure that saltpeter or fertilizer could be concentrated enough to make gunpowder which is really the same thing as any explosive,they all have the same ingredients and some have a few extra's.

Stick to furnaces bud,you have no clue about blasting.:smile:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Whats the main ingredient in gunpowder or any explosive Ger?
If you want to pick at word's i'm sure that saltpeter or fertilizer could be concentrated enough to make gunpowder which is really the same thing as any explosive,they all have the same ingredients and some have a few extra's.

Stick to furnaces bud,you have no clue about blasting.:smile:

bud....I was making gunpowder...or "black powder" while you were still ****ting your diapers. Was never able to come up with magnesium powder though....fortunatley.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
bud....I was making gunpowder...or "black powder" while you were still ****ting your diapers. Was never able to come up with magnesium powder though....fortunatley.
Not needed for anfo and your not that much older then me.
Pottasium nitrate and saltpeter are the same thing,mix them with used motor oil or diesel and it becomes Anfo.
That's what we used in the mine to lift whole sections of mountain 20 feet in the air.
PETN alone will not ignite a lower volatile explosive like anfo alone,it needs to initiate through a series of higher concentrated nitrates,thats why tnt is allways the last link to set off an anfo blast.

This is an anfo blast I filmed while guarding for it,just used motor oil(10%) and diesel(90%) and straight fertilizer like you put on your lawn,when used oils is mixed with it they call it a slurry.
Very explosive stuff.YouTube - meadowbank blast