AGW Denial, The Greatest Scam in History?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
People will believe only that which they are willing to believe. 56 pages of people stating what they believe and not one has changed their mind. Change is the one constant in the Universe. Only humans try to stand still in the stream of life.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
People will believe only that which they are willing to believe. 56 pages of people stating what they believe and not one has changed their mind.

Too many conflicting 'reports' that allow people to support their position

Change is the one constant in the Universe.

Chaos Theory dictates that order will come out of confusion... In a way, 'order' is the constant that defies change

Only humans try to stand still in the stream of life.

Saw a moose once stand in the stream for a pretty long time, took-off a short time later through the forest and left a very visible trail in his wake.... Seems to me he did what he wanted and nature had to bend to his rules

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Too many conflicting 'reports' that allow people to support their position

Chaos Theory dictates that order will come out of confusion... In a way, 'order' is the constant that defies change

Saw a moose once stand in the stream for a pretty long time, took-off a short time later through the forest and left a very visible trail in his wake.... Seems to me he did what he wanted and nature had to bend to his rules
Have you ever tried to stand still in a swift current? The water will wash the gravel right out from under you and you will take a swim.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Have you ever tried to stand still in a swift current? The water will wash the gravel right out from under you and you will take a swim.

I get what you're saying.... Everything is in a state of perpetual change and assuming otherwise is nothing short of believing in an illusion.

My point is that there are counter balances to everything.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I get what you're saying.... Everything is in a state of perpetual change and assuming otherwise is nothing short of believing in an illusion.

My point is that there are counter balances to everything.
Yup. It would seem that both sides of this argument have balanced each other out about 50 pages ago.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So the sea is rising in some places and not others?

How about sea rising but land not subsiding? As for negative numbers, that's going to happen. There is no time series anywhere in the climate system that shows a monotonic rise. The La Nina associated weather in South America, Australia and Southeast Asia caused a big dip in 2010. That La Nina was the strongest in nearly 6 decades. The beauty of the satellites is that they can correlate the negative measurements from the GRACE satellites spatially with increased rainfall over the adjacent land.

There's no valid reason to expect a long straight line in the data.
See:NASA Satellites Detect Pothole on Road to Higher Seas - NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Also, depending on how the sea level is measured, it's expected that there will be negative numbers. "Relative" sea level measurements are those where the level of the water is measured against land. So if the land is rebounding faster than the sea level rises, then you can very easily get relative sea level falling. Or, you can have very high relative sea level rise, such as the Southern US coast where the land is subsiding into the Gulf of Mexico.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The Sky is Falling brings gales of laughter The sea is Rising brings the scientific seal of approval. The truth is that the sky is falling into the sea.

Falling towards the sea, yes it is in fact. To top it all off, that is in fact a prediction of climate change caused by enhanced greenhouse warming. It comes from first principles.

Some reading for you if you can crawl out from under the tinfoil:
J. Lastovicka, R. A. Akmaev, G. Beig, J. Bremer, J. T. Emmert, 2006. Global Change in the Upper Atmosphere. Science, 314: 1253-4.

Southern hemisphere observations of a long-term decrease in F region altitude and thermospheric wind providing possible evidence for global thermospheric cooling - Jarvis - 2012 - Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics (1978–2012) - Wil

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Look man I told you before I don't want any Global Climate Repair tickets to help send your youth group to Cern to discover the future.
The sky falls for a bit and then it get pushed up for a bit and then it gets pushed down for a bit and then, it's called an atmospheric cycle why are you hysterical about natural cycles.
I can tell you went to university cuz you got the top quality tinfoil you paid for. Nothing can ever get you cuz you got chart savy.
Thanks sure I'll glance at them.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The sky falls for a bit and then it get pushed up for a bit and then it gets pushed down for a bit and then, it's called an atmospheric cycle why are you hysterical about natural cycles.

And what cycles are you referring to that cause the upper atmosphere to cool while the lower atmosphere warms?

I've told you before, you need evidence. You can't just invoke some imaginary cycle. I'm sure it's real in your mind...but for the rest of us, we require evidence of your fairy cycles.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
And what cycles are you referring to that cause the upper atmosphere to cool while the lower atmosphere warms?

I've told you before, you need evidence. You can't just invoke some imaginary cycle. I'm sure it's real in your mind...but for the rest of us, we require evidence of your fairy cycles.

Solar of course, there is no other source for any cycle in this system except that one. I'm usually not surprised by your posts but you seem to be implying that there is some unique atmospheric temperature fluctuation never before witnessed possibly associated with anthropocentric CO2 emissions. I don't know where you've been but you seem to have missed the facts concerning the now positively discredited anthropocentric climate change disaster crisis commitee. ACCDSCC from here on. This loose collection of common yard idiots are being captured in nets as we speak. You should hide under the steps with your bundle of carbon stocks.
Ah didn't I read that the earths magnetic field is shrinking?

Last edited:

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
tim ball concert: Battered by the facts.

canadian denier-in-chief, the retired geographer dr. Tim ball, got seriously (though not physically) roughed up last week in a presentation to the university of victoria young conservatives club.
apparently expecting a room full of docile stephen harper fans, ball found himself instead in front of a group of burgeoning climate scientists - young people who were quick to challenge him when he said things that were pointedly untrue.
for example, after describing the effect of milankovitch cycles on climate, ball told the students that these predictable changes in earth's orbit and tilt are not included in modern climate models.
"none of this is included in the computer models that are used to tell you that the climate is changing.56:24 it’s not even included. The models they’re doing here on campus. They’re not in there. Sorry."
but at 1:01:25, a student responds: "we do include it, though. I am with the uvic climate lab and we do include it in our models. It’s a standard parameter."
the conversation, and the attached recording (nb: With my apologies, the record exceeds the dsb capacity; i will convene with the tech experts tomorrow and try to get it posted), went on for two-and-a-half painful hours, with ball dismissing all climate science as a fiction promulgated by a small group of ideologues and the students - laptops in hand - challenging and dismissing his arguments on the basis of ready information.
At times, though, it ground down to the typical denier debate, with ball saying things that aren't true, being correcting, but refusing to acknowledge his inaccuracy.

For example, beginning at 1:21:20, he launches into a whole disquisition about how real scientists have been hamstrung by the ipcc because the politicians involved drew terms of reference that were ruinously restrictive:
"when it appears that the politicians are doing the honorable thing and having an arms length not political investigation, well they’re not doing that at all," ball began.
"here’s what maurice strong did with the ipcc: He defined a changing climate which is attributed directly or indirectly to human activity. Don’t look at what nature’s doing, only at what the human causes are."
student: (unintelligible)
ball: "yes, but they don’t look at the natural climate variability."
student sotto voce “not true, we look at natural variation”
ball, offering a new slide: "this is the definition produced by the united nations environment program which was then adopted by the ipcc. This is the definition of what they’re directed to look at. They’re directed to only look at climate change that is due to human activity."
student: “what about that whole second half (of the definition printed on the slide): ‘in addition to natural climate variability.’”
ball: "yeah, but they don’t do that."
student: "but it just says to do it."
ball: "you look at the list of forcings they have; it’s only those forcings caused by human activity."
student: "you’re saying that volcanoes are caused by humans?"
ball: "well exactly. The volcanoes is one and look at the thing i showed you with milankovich."
student: "yeah, but the ipcc accounts for volcanic activity and milankovich cycles."

ball: "they identify them, but they do not consider them in their models …."
student: "they certainly do …."
ball: "no then don’t …."
student: "yes they do: I run models … ((interrupted)"
it's worth noting that dr. Andrew weaver, who is the canada research chair in climate modelling and analysis and whose models is one of the best in the world, works and teaches at uvic and employs some of his students to help run his models. If tim ball wanted to make up information about what is considered in computer models, he was doing it in the wrong venue."
ball said many other silly things during the course of the "lecture." and many things that have previously been proved untrue. For instance, he said that it is "simply not true" that he has been paid by oil companies, regardless that time and again, people have tracked the source of his income to oil and gas companies or energy industry lobby groups.
But the most offensive moments come when ball accuses other people of irresponsibility.
"don’t get me wrong, if you want to play with your models in the lab, that’s fine. But you have a scientific responsibility which i happen to think you’re not fulfilling. But when you go public with your models and say your model works and you have to base your whole policy for the world on this, that’s a whole different responsibility."
so, tim ball thinks it's okay to make public policy on the basis of uninformed criticism of models he has never studied. He argues that 17th century paintings are all the evidence he needs to demonstrate that current warming is natural and not a problem. He says things that are not true and then refuses to acknowledge his error when corrected. And he yet he feels confident to criticize the ethics of the best scientists currently working in the field.
It's appalling.
bullsh*t

Media Outlets Falsely Reporting Scientific Fraud Should Make Corrections

Ideologically motivated and often well-funded operatives were quick to broadcast the hacked East Anglia emails in November as ‘the biggest scandal of the century.’ Thanks to a UK parliamentary investigation, and an earlier Penn State investigation, we are reminded that the emails revealed no such scandal.

We can expect that the industry-funded think tanks would go all out to spread any story that fits into their narrative of denying climate science. More alarming are the reporters that swallowed the bait and reported on the manufactured scandal in a fake debate.

We should be expecting apologies and corrections from these reporters for taking the hints of ‘scandal’ and ‘fraud’ and reporting on them as fact:

• Bret Stephen in the WSJ hinted that global warming scientists were “closet Stalinists”? (The seems to have been removed, but did he apologise for it?) 12/8/2009
  • Andrew Bolt in the Melbourne Herald Sun: “Climategate: Warmist conspiracy exposed?” 11/20/2009
  • James Dellingpole in the Telegraph: “The Final Nail in the Coffin of Anthropogenic Global Warming” 11/20/2009
  • Leo Hickman and James Randerson in The Guardian: “Files stolen. Evidence of collusion among scientists”
  • Lauren Morello writing for Climatewire and picked up in the NYTimes: “Stolen E-Mails Sharpen a Brawl Between Climate Scientists and Skeptics” 11/24/2009
  • The Freakonomics blog on the NYTimes: “Phil Jones, the scientist at the center of the Climategate scandal, answers questions from the BBC.” 2/18/2010
  • Fred Guteri in Newsweek: “Climate scientists who play fast and loose with the facts are imperiling not just their profession but the planet.” 2/19/2010
Even though it generates lots of web-views, taking quotes out of context from illegally obtained information and then implying global implications is irresponsible. Calmly investigating the claims, as the UK House of Commons Science and Technology Committee has done, and finding the science sound is to be applauded.

The imputation of fraud was so powerful that environmental reporters who should have known better were caught up in it.

• Andy Revkin in the NYTimes says “Hacked E-Mail Is New Fodder for Climate Dispute” even though he knows the ‘climate dispute’ only exists as part of the big-oil PR campaign.
  • George Monbiot was correctly advocating for a louder and more aggressive response on the part of scientists to affirm the established understanding of global warming during the scandal. But he was also calling for Phil Jones resignation and expressing dismay over the practices of the research unit.
Legitimate news organizations have standards of accuracy to uphold and should correct the record. Fossil-fuel industry funded organizations don't, so we're not holding our breath waiting for the paid deniers to retract their statements and report on the scientific consensus:
  • CEI’s Chris Horner salivated over the supposed ‘blue dress moment’ of the stolen emails, even writing on thanksgiving how thankful he was for the hackers ‘exposing’ the nefarious plot to solve global warming. Surely his thanksgiving memories must taste a bit sour as he find out how conclusive the science on climate change is.
  • Perhaps the oh-so-royal Lord Monckton will apologize for stating so bluntly in an op-ed “They are criminals” referring to the climate scientists who were victims of the email theft.
  • Senator James Inhofe will need his imaginary crowbar to pull out the imaginary nails in the coffin. He wrote in a Wall Street Journal Op-ed that "Ninety-five percent of the nails were in the coffin prior to this week. Now they are all in."
  • Myron Ebell of CEI wrote on Pajamas Media that “It is clear that the tip-top scientists implicated in the burgeoning Climategate scandal have no honor, but it is also becoming apparent that they have no sense of shame either.”
  • Nick Lorris of the Heritage Foundation desperately wishes it was true that the “Global warming debate heats up” on the Heritage blog after the scandal.
  • Pat Michaels of the CATO institute glowed every time he was reminded that some climate scientists joked about beating him up. See his big smile as he’s given a megaphone on Fox News (video here).
No, instead of retracting their statements, the Competitive Enterprise Institute is trying to build another fake-scandal on the imaginary foundations of the first.

For the past two months CEI has repeatedly tried to ‘break’ the story that NASA data they obtained through a FOIA request is just as damning and scandalous. They obtained the files on Dec 31st of 2009 and since have
madethreeattempts to create a media story. The third one has picked up a little steam, finally getting into Fox News with the headline “NASA Data Worse Than Climategate Data, Space Agency Admits”. It’s ironic that they would pin their story on the East Anglia data that was thoroughly exonerated today by the UK Parliament's report.
Lastly, some outlets today chose to highlight the problems in the report, which finds fault with how the University of East Anglia handled the FOIA requests, and recommends solutions. See headlines in the New Scientist "Climategate Inquiry Points Finger at University," Financial Times "Phil Jones, but not Climate Science Practices Exonerated" and the Mail Online "Climategate University Condemned for Unacceptable Culture of Secrecy."
Climategate Posted: November 23, 2009, 8:40 PM

climate change, University of East Anglia

What the climate scientists wrote and when they wrote it

On Friday, news broke that a hacker had broken in to the computer systems used by the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia in Britain, obtaining more than 1,000 e-mails and 3,000 documents. The material, which covers a period of more than a decade, has led many to conclude that climate scientists associated with the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and various government agencies have been cooking the books to make the case for man-made global warming. Climate researchers deny any wrongdoing, explaining that the e-mails are innocent and have been taken out of context. The University, while confirming the hacking, cannot confirm the authenticity of all the stolen documents. Here is a sampling of some of the exchanges.

•From Phil Jones, head of the Climatic Research Unit at East Anglia University, to Ray Bradley, Michael Mann, and Malcolm Hughes, three U.S. scientists who have produced the controversial “hockey-stick graphs” that purport to show rapidly increasing temperatures in recent decades. Nov, 16, 1999.

“I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (i.e. from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline.”

Translation:- I've copied Mike Mann's method of lying.

•From Kevin Trenberth, a lead author with the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, to Michael Mann, on Oct 12. 2009. The email, titled “BBC U-turn on climate,” laments a BBC article that reversed its long-held position on man-made global warming.

“The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t. ... Our observing system is inadequate.”*

But they keep telling the outside world that their is a consensus and that the 'science is in'. -that's lying.*

---------------------------------------------------------------------

“I got a paper to review (submitted to the Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Sciences), written by a Korean guy and someone from Berkeley, that claims that the method of reconstruction that we use in dendroclimatology (reverse regression) is wrong, biased, lousy, horrible, etc. ... If published as is, this paper could really do some damage … It won’t be easy to dismiss out of hand as the math appears to be correct theoretically (...) I am really sorry but I have to nag about that review — Confidentially I now need a hard and if required extensive case for rejecting.”

Lets create something -invent data? -that's lying.*

“So, if we could reduce the ocean blip by, say, 0.15 C, then this would be significant for the global mean — but we’d still have to explain the land blip. I’ve chosen 0.15 here deliberately. This still leaves an ocean blip, and i think one needs to have some form of ocean blip to explain the land blip (via either some common forcing, or ocean forcing land, or vice versa, or all of these).”

Trying to change reality and invent data -that's lying.

“The two MMs [Canadian skeptics Steve McIntyre and Ross McKitrick] have been after the CRU station data for years. If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I’ll delete the file rather than send to anyone.”

“Can you delete any emails you may have had with Keith re AR4? Keith will do likewise. He’s not in at the moment – minor family crisis. Can you also email Gene and get him to do the same? I don’t have his new email address. We will be getting Caspar to do likewise.”

This is not lying I admit. * It smells of something equally bad or even worse. *LOL.

“I know there is pressure to present a nice tidy story as regards ‘apparent unprecedented warming in a thousand years or more in the proxy data’ but in reality the situation is not quite so simple. We don’t have a lot of proxies that come right up to date and those that do (at least a significant number of tree proxies ) some unexpected changes in response that do not match the recent warming.”

"But we won't tell anyone that". -that's lying.

“I think we have to stop considering Climate Research as a legitimate peer-reviewed journal. Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal. We would also need to consider what we tell or request of our more reasonable colleagues who currently sit on the editorial board.”

That isn't lying. It is thuggery and an attempt to squelch freedom of information.

“Mike’s idea to get editorial board members to resign will probably not work — must get rid of von Storch too, otherwise holes will eventually fill up with people like Legates, Balling, Lindzen, Michaels, Singer, etc.”

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! again!!!!!!!!!!!

“If anything, I would like to see the climate change happen, so the science could be proved right, regardless of the consequences. This isn’t being political, it is being selfish.”

At least he is finally honest. He is admitting that reality isn't what they have been saying it is -hmm, that's lying!

So it doesnt matter whether or not they were exonerated. They were, and are lying SOB's.