2012 broke sea level, sea ice records, climate report shows

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Nope. Global warming is global warming. The Pacific decadel oscillation switches the Pacific region climates around and has little to do with global oceanic temperatures. Wanna throw another batch of red herrings in?
I love pickled herring and onions but when those shifts create drought and higher than average continental temperatures being passed off as a crisis it's called a lie.

In the past 250,000 years, has or has not every inter-glacial period ended with a temperature spike then nasty rapid collapse?

Why wouldn't it warm then collapse this time?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Well Petro's you may think your winning a few Internet Debate battles, but you're losing the war..

Climate change caused by human activities was behind the flooding in Calgary and the recent storms in central Ontario. At least, that’s what 53 per cent of Canadians polled July 23 by Forum Research believe.

It’s also a belief more common among women (59 per cent) than men and the least wealthy (63 per cent).

Eight in 10 of those polled believe the Earth’s climate overall is changing.

Forum Research asked those questions of 1,782 Canadians aged 18 or older.

Climate change caused Calgary, Ontario flooding, majority believe | Toronto Star

Thank God responsible people are starting to see the light..

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Dude, it was because of a rotational anomaly not some fantaf*ckingsy cooked up by thieves and liars.

Eight in 10 of those polled believe

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Let me type slower. Ground that had been covered in ice for centuries, is now bare ground. Gee, the ice must have melted. Could that be anything to do with climate change? Don't hurt yourself captain.

My point is that the 'bare ground' (which I am guessing is organics (read: dirt)) was there prior to the glaciation.... If it did exist there before the ice came, it means that the climate allowed for the growth of flora/fauna... I don't think it takes too much to connect the dots here in understanding that the ambient temps were warm enough to allow for plant life prior to those glaciers.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I love pickled herring and onions but when those shifts create drought and higher than average continental temperatures being passed off as a crisis it's called a lie.
Red herring again. We weren't talking about continental temps. The oceans are warmer. Warmer oceans, less ice = raised sea levels. get over it.

In the past 250,000 years, has or has not every inter-glacial period ended with a temperature spike then nasty rapid collapse?
Yup. It's a cycle.

I have no doubt it will collapse eventually, however this time this particular part of the cycle has stayed warmer longer.

Well Petro's you may think your winning a few Internet Debate battles, but you're losing the war..

Climate change caused by human activities was behind the flooding in Calgary and the recent storms in central Ontario. At least, that’s what 53 per cent of Canadians polled July 23 by Forum Research believe.

It’s also a belief more common among women (59 per cent) than men and the least wealthy (63 per cent).

Eight in 10 of those polled believe the Earth’s climate overall is changing.

Forum Research asked those questions of 1,782 Canadians aged 18 or older.

Climate change caused Calgary, Ontario flooding, majority believe | Toronto Star

Thank God responsible people are starting to see the light..
lol Big deal. At one time most people on the planet thought the planet was flat, too.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have no doubt it will collapse eventually, however this time this
particular part of the cycle has stayed warmer longer.
it has? What makes you believe that?

Red herring again. We weren't talking about continental temps. The oceans are warmer. Warmer oceans, less ice = raised sea levels. get over it..
I'm talking about the entire scam.

When Baja waters are sitting off of Anchorage you damn well bet ocean temps are going to "appear" warmer and Anchorage waters off of Baja are going to heat the continent. Very convenient for pulling a scam.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Where do I find these rising seas?

Tuvalu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Main article: Climate change in Tuvalu

Funafuti

At its highest, Tuvalu is only 4.6 metres (15 ft) above sea level, and Tuvaluan leaders have been concerned about the effects of rising sea levels for a few years.[145][146] Whether there are measurable changes in the sea level relative to the islands of Tuvalu is a contentious issue.[147] There were problems associated with the pre-1993 sea level records from Funafuti which resulted in improvements in the recording technology to provide more reliable data for analysis.[148] The degree of uncertainty as to estimates of sea level change relative to the islands of Tuvalu is reflected in the conclusions made in 2002 from the available data.[148] The 2011 report of the Pacific Climate Change Science Program published by the Australian Government,[149] concludes: "The sea-level rise near Tuvalu measured by satellite altimeters since 1993 is about 5 mm per year."[150]
Observable transformations over the last ten to fifteen years show Tuvaluans that there have been changes to the sea levels. These include sea water bubbling up through the porous coral rock to form pools at high tide and the flooding of low-lying areas including the airport during spring tides and king tides.[87][88][89][151]
As low-lying islands lacking a surrounding shallow shelf, the communities of Tuvalu are especially susceptible to changes in sea level and undissipated storms.[152][153][154] It is estimated that a sea level rise of 20–40 centimetres (8–16 inches) in the next 100 years could make Tuvalu uninhabitable.[80][81]
The 2011 report of Pacific Climate Change Science Program of Australia concludes, in relation to Tuvalu, that over the course of the 21st century:
  • Surface air temperatures and sea‑surface temperatures are projected to continually increase (very high confidence).[150]
  • Annual and seasonal mean rainfalls are projected to increase (high confidence).[150]
  • The intensity and frequency of extreme heat days are projected to increase (very high confidence).[150]
  • The intensity and frequency of extreme rainfall days are projected to increase (high confidence).[150]
  • The incidence of drought is projected to decrease (moderate confidence).[150]
  • Tropical cyclone numbers are projected to decline in the south-east Pacific Ocean basin (0–40ºS, 170ºE–130ºW) (moderate confidence).[150]
  • Ocean acidification is projected to continue (very high confidence).[150]
  • Mean sea-level rise is projected to continue (very high confidence).[150]

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
In December 2009 the islands stalled talks at United Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen, fearing some other developing countries were not committing fully to binding deals on a reduction in carbon emission, their chief negotiator stated "Tuvalu is one of the most vulnerable countries in the world to climate change, and our future rests on the outcome of this meeting."[28] When the conference failed to reach a binding, meaningful agreement, Tuvalu's representative Ian Fry said, "It looks like we are being offered 30 pieces of silver to betray our people and our future... Our future is not for sale. I regret to inform you that Tuvalu cannot accept this document."[29]

$$$$$$$$$$

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver

Because CO2 is very likely rising at an unprecedented rate due to anthropogenic emissions. That is what makes it different than a repetition of past events.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Surface air temperatures and sea‑surface temperatures are projected to continually increase (very high confidence).[150]
Annual and seasonal mean rainfalls are projected to
increase (high confidence).[150]
The intensity and frequency of extreme heat days are projected to increase (very high confidence).[150]
The intensity and frequency of extreme rainfall days are projected to increase (high confidence).[150]
The incidence of drought is projected to decrease
(moderate confidence).[150]
Tropical cyclone numbers are projected to decline
in the south-east Pacific Ocean basin (0–40ºS, 170ºE–130ºW) (moderate
confidence).[150]
Ocean acidification is projected to continue (very
high confidence).[150]
Mean sea-level rise is projected to continue (very
high confidence).[150]

I've projected my love to them hippy style.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Surface air temperatures and sea‑surface temperatures are projected to continually increase (very high confidence).[150]
Annual and seasonal mean rainfalls are projected to
increase (high confidence).[150]
The intensity and frequency of extreme heat days are projected to increase (very high confidence).[150]
The intensity and frequency of extreme rainfall days are projected to increase (high confidence).[150]
The incidence of drought is projected to decrease
(moderate confidence).[150]
Tropical cyclone numbers are projected to decline
in the south-east Pacific Ocean basin (0–40ºS, 170ºE–130ºW) (moderate
confidence).[150]
Ocean acidification is projected to continue (very
high confidence).[150]
Mean sea-level rise is projected to continue (very
high confidence).[150]

I've projected my love to them hippy style.

Good on you, Bro.
Seawater expands as it is heated. Although the effect loss of the Greenland ice cap is pretty compelling- seawater expansion can be measured .
Polynesia is considering backhauling ballast to form atoll sea walls.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This earth scientist guy that is boinking my wife once mentioned a neat thing about islands rising and falling as plates teeter totter. Parts of the Atlantic coast in USA are naturally dropping as the continental interior under massive bodies of water Like Hudson's Bay and Lake Winnipeg rise from isotactic rebound making the oceans appear to rise over centuries.

But hey, WTF do I know?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Let me type slower. Ground that had been covered in ice for centuries, is now bare ground. Gee, the ice must have melted. Could that be anything to do with climate change? Don't hurt yourself captain.
And Antarctic ice is increasing.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
We have humidity but no heat. It's backwards. I'll gladly take 30C and dry as a popcorn fart over 20C and 80% humidity any day.

We're currently sitting around 27' - not a breath of wind, no humidity but very hazy skies due to heavy smoke cover from fires East and South of us. It's been like this for a about a week now - we have had intermittent rain showers over the past week - usually at night and little moisture is left by late morning.