U.S. war deserter, mother of 3 must leave Canada

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

U.S. war deserter, mother of 3 must leave Canada
A U.S. war deserter and mother of three young children was ordered to leave Canada when she appeared at a deportation hearing Wednesday.

Kimberly Rivera moved to Toronto from Texas in early 2007 with her husband and two children after refusing redeployment to Iraq. In late November, she gave birth to a third child in Canada.

She had served in Iraq in 2006 as a gate guard at a forward operating base, according to the War Resisters Support Campaign.

The advocacy group said Rivera is the first U.S. female resister to come to Canada.

At a deportation hearing in Mississauga, Ont., Rivera was told to leave Canada by Jan. 27.

Supporters had hoped immigration officials would allow her to stay in part because she has a six-week-old daughter, Katie Marie, born in Canada. Rivera's other children are Christian, 6, and Rebecca, 4.

Rivera's case is one of many involving American war deserters who have fled north of the border.

Last month, Cliff Cornell, a former U.S. soldier from Arkansas living in Nanaimo, B.C., was ordered to leave Canada by Christmas Eve.

Deportation orders were also given to U.S. war deserters:
  • Corey Glass.
  • Jeremy Hinzman.
  • Patrick Hart.
  • Matt Lowell.
  • Dean Walcott.

So since there is a child born in our country involved in this situation, what do you think should occur in this situation?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Simply because our own country is in Afghanistan, this is a difficult question. I don't know if it's right to shelter deserters since we fight too. On the other hand, I hate war. I hate all it is and all it stands for and it doesn't stand for much. If I had to make a choice - I would say let them stay. All of them.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Simply because our own country is in Afghanistan, this is a difficult question. I don't know if it's right to shelter deserters since we fight too. On the other hand, I hate war. I hate all it is and all it stands for and it doesn't stand for much. If I had to make a choice - I would say let them stay. All of them.

Fair enough in general, but in this paticular situation, what should happen to this deserter considering one of her children is a Canadian citizen?

Should they be deported to the US? If so, what occurs with the Canadian child?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So since there is a child born in our country involved in this situation, what do you think should occur in this situation?

Hmmm. Good question. I think she should return as I am sure you know my views on deserters. I am surprised that with a child, whom I assume is now Canadian that they would send her back to the US. I do not know the laws up there.

Down here a baby born to illegal immigrants is called an "anchor baby". It means that the baby is automatically a US Citizen and they can pretty much stay here forever.

At any rate... I think she should return and get it over with.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Hmmm. Good question. I think she should return as I am sure you know my views on deserters. I am surprised that with a child, whom I assume is now Canadian that they would send her back to the US. I do not know the laws up there.

Down here a baby born to illegal immigrants is called an "anchor baby". It means that the baby is automatically a US Citizen and they can pretty much stay here forever.

At any rate... I think she should return and get it over with.

Yeah a lady a week or so ago gave birth on an airplane over Canadian air space and is legally a Canadian. (As and example)

but I was wondering more about if the child has to goto the US with them, or does the baby stay here in Canada..... but then who's going to take care of the baby if she goes to jail?

I'm a bit ignorant and confused on most of the details myself since I believe some of the laws changed a few months ago in regards to parents from one country and children born here, etc.... I guess I'll have to look it up.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Let them stay....for moral reasons. The child would probably be jailed with it`s mother if sent back.
Also, the child would be better of raised in Canada than in the United States, period.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Let them stay....for moral reasons. The child would probably be jailed with it`s mother if sent back.
Also, the child would be better of raised in Canada than in the United States, period.

How would the child be better off being raised in Canada? Please enlighten me.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
How would the child be better off being raised in Canada? Please enlighten me.

Health care, education and a *edit* genuine sense of pride when it grows older, to name a few.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Health care, education and a *edit* genuine sense of pride when it grows older, to name a few.

Health Care! Please be serious. Education...well as long as she stays out of the public/urban schools they will be fine.

Sense of pride...well we have a sense of pride for our country...that is one of the reasons people like you hate the United States. You say we are TOO proud.

As far as the girl going to prison with her mom...please...stop embarrassing yourself. She is married... Dad will keep the kids while mom does her time. When she gets out she can try to immigrate to Canada again.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
When this woman gets out, she'll have a federal criminal record, and I doubt very
much that she's even be allowed to cross the border into Canada, let along to
immigrate to Canada. Once she have done her time, the husband and kids can
move back to the USA if they want to remain together.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Health Care! Please be serious. Education...well as long as she stays out of the public/urban schools they will be fine.

Sense of pride...well we have a sense of pride for our country...that is one of the reasons people like you hate the United States. You say we are TOO proud.

As far as the girl going to prison with her mom...please...stop embarrassing yourself. She is married... Dad will keep the kids while mom does her time. When she gets out she can try to immigrate to Canada again.

A genuine sense of pride, there Cletus.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
When this woman gets out, she'll have a federal criminal record, and I doubt very
much that she's even be allowed to cross the border into Canada, let along to
immigrate to Canada. Once she have done her time, the husband and kids can
move back to the USA if they want to remain together.

Question...

If her child is Canadian will she be able to?

But yes...she WILL be a felon for desertion. She is pretty much screwed here in the US once she is released from prison. The deserters that have held out this long are indeed getting punished severly.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
What if she has broken some other law? What if she was wanted for vehicular homicide? Are we going to look at the circumstances surrounding every person that has fled to Canada to escape the US law? What's the point of extradition treaties when we pick and choose which laws we like and are willing to hold people accountable to?

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

The woman is a criminal, wanted in the States, send her back. As far as your comment that the child would probably be jailed with her mother, that is the most rediculuous thing I have ever heard. Don't you think the father would be able to look after the kid? Anyway they both knew what the consequences of her deserting could be...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What ever happened to Canada's support of conscientious objectors? Have we become such a callous people? I say we give refuge to any and all who would flee the oppressive and imperialistic policies of the United States of Aggression.

American pride is beaten into the heads of their children from day one. They are brainwashed as much as any German child was during Hitler's reign. Those who begin to see that something is seriously wrong with the US foreign policy and chose to leave their home land should be given sanctuary to avoid the knee jerk reaction of the US's repressive policy of retribution.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I say we give refuge to any and all who would flee the oppressive and imperialistic policies of the United States of Aggression.

The woman joined the military of her own free will. Going to war is part of being a soldier. She was not being oppressed.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The woman joined the military of her own free will. Going to war is part of being a soldier. She was not being oppressed.

You are aware that US soldiers are being forced to stay far beyond their normal tour of duty because of a shortage of personnel, right? Have you been in any of the Middle East war zones? Have you been commanded to kill innocent women and children? I'm sorry that you cannot see how stupid war is.

And I'm sure you are aware of how military recruiters go into really poor neighbourhoods and lie and make unrealistic promises to get these people to join up thinking that they will get a better life, when all they are expected to do is die as cannon fodder so the rich can get richer at their expense.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
What ever happened to Canada's support of conscientious objectors? Have we become such a callous people? I say we give refuge to any and all who would flee the oppressive and imperialistic policies of the United States of Aggression.

American pride is beaten into the heads of their children from day one. They are brainwashed as much as any German child was during Hitler's reign. Those who begin to see that something is seriously wrong with the US foreign policy and chose to leave their home land should be given sanctuary to avoid the knee jerk reaction of the US's repressive policy of retribution.

"Have we become such a callous people?"....

I don`t believe it the `people` here that are callous but the elected ass-holes, hell bent on following our neighbour`s to the south and thier policies...weather it stinks or doesn`t. Something I`m ashamed of, btw. However my government (the laughing stock that it is),does not speak for me.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You are aware that US soldiers are being forced to stay far beyond their normal tour of duty because of a shortage of personnel, right?

Irrelevant. Sometimes I have to work overtime because of a labor shortage.

Have you been in any of the Middle East war zones?

Yes

Have you been commanded to kill innocent women and children?

No, and to my knowledge, neither was the soldier in the story.

I'm sorry that you cannot see how stupid war is.

Actually, I do think war is stupid and unecessary but my feelings about war really have nothing to do with what I posted.

And I'm sure you are aware of how military recruiters go into really poor neighbourhoods and lie and make unrealistic promises to get these people to join up thinking that they will get a better life, when all they are expected to do is die as cannon fodder so the rich can get richer at their expense.

Yup, I'm aware of all that. Tell me the recruiter put a gun to her head and your point may be relevant.

So if I may read between the lines, can I assume that you have no problem harboring suspected criminals as long as you believe they are justified in their criminal behavior? That is fine. But you must be willing to accept the end result of a world that followed your view. We would have no extradition treaties.