Poll: Some Alberta men believe violence against women is okay

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Obviously you are ASSuming I'm talking about my wife. Have you already forgotten how stupid I made you look when you made ASSumptions about my wife the last time?

The only thing you did the last time when you mentioned your wife was show your inability to control her and safe guard other people in her vicinity. That was all you managed to do, and this time all you are doing is again showing your inabilities.

Durry
+1
I carried out a Poll in AB and most Albertans think that slapping an easterner once in a while is good for the welfare of the country.!! LOL !!!

gerryh
+2 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

I carried out a Poll in AB and most Albertans think that slapping an easterner once in a while is good for the welfare of the country.!! LOL !!!

I gather you only polled the weak minded of which you were the majority vote.

Spade
+4
Clearly, the avatar is not a "balled" eagle.

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

It is good for employment in AB - Those that do nornally end up in intensive care or buried.

Kakato
+3
You want to see what most Alberta rednecks think about hitting women? Go to any redneck bar and try hitting one and see how long before some lays you out on the floor.

Goober
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Clearly, the avatar is not a "balled" eagle.

Wonder if he is familiar with that old phrase " Have they dropped yet".

Dexter Sinister
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

so, are you saying that if a man is hit by a woman, he has all the right to hit her back, even if he
knows, after not being injured at all, he will probably injure her, because he is so much bigger and stronger?

You keep moving the goal posts, if this, if that, if such and such. Any woman who hits a man is not entitled to cry foul at whatever happens next. Why should he be required to show self restraint if she's not? If you're allowed to do it, then so am I, and if I'm not allowed to do it, then neither are you. If women are going to make the size and strength argument here in defense of their doing things men aren't allowed to do, then they'll also have to concede the larger issue, that men and women are not equal and society's rules need to define and accommodate the differences.

talloola
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

You keep moving the goal posts, if this, if that, if such and such. Any woman who hits a man is not entitled to cry foul at whatever happens next. Why should he be required to show self restraint if she's not? If you're allowed to do it, then so am I, and if I'm not allowed to do it, then neither are you. If women are going to make the size and strength argument here in defense of their doing things men aren't allowed to do, then they'll also have to concede the larger issue, that men and women are not equal and society's rules need to define and accommodate the differences.

I've been solid in my explanations, and no one has the right to cry 'foul', didn't say that.

it seems you are talking about emotional reaction to being hit, i'm talking about restraint and
the obvious consequences, and the difference between the force of a man's physical power and
the much less power of the woman's, for me, nothing to do with emotional reactions, leaving
your wife after she strikes you, or any such thing.
Its very simple, don't hit someone you might seriously injure, unless you are defending yourself
in a situation where your life might be in danger.

I don't care about who is allowed to do what, that is beside the point.

No one is allowed to hit anyone, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I'm not concerned, 'as I said before' about society, what is expected because of
equality or no equality, thats just a bunch of talk.

'don't hit someone you might seriously injure because you are bigger and stronger period.'
you might be visiting them in the hospital, and tending to their post concussion symptoms for
sometime.

Niflmir
+1

visualize this situation. 120lb woman is having a all out verbal battle with her 220lb husband/boyfriend,
both are very angry, she slaps him across the face, he punches her in the face, oh well, thats the way it
goes right? If she wants to hit, I will hit back, even if he just slapped her back, it force most likely
would be much more of a blow than she was able to make.

if your wife slapped you across the face, would you do the same, or punch her in the face in return.

This is the twenty-first century after all, so imagine the following:

Quote:

120lb man is having a all out verbal battle with his 220lb husband/boyfriend,
both are very angry, he slaps him across the face, he punches him in the face, oh well, thats the way it
goes right? If he wants to hit, I will hit back, even if he just slapped him back, it force most likely
would be much more of a blow than he was able to make.

Is there any difference between the two situations in your mind? If not, then we are on the same page and from what I gather, you are on the same page as Dexter.

If my 50 kg wife slapped 57 kg me in anger, I would divorce her the next day. Of course, my wife, who was a kick boxer, is much more likely to punch... the point is, I did not marry a person that has so little respect for me that they would answer an insult with injury. If the marriage ever progressed to such a level, I would leave for the betterment of both of us.

Cannuck
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

So what were you doing co inhabiting a bathroom with a woman other than your wife?

Try reading the thread again

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

The only thing you did the last time when you mentioned your wife was show your inability to control her and safe guard other people in her vicinity. That was all you managed to do, and this time all you are doing is again showing your inabilities.

Holy crap, you really are a misogynistic piece of work. I'm not interested in "controlling" anybody let alone the women in my life.

Kakato
+1
I was married to a redhead,no matter how many eggs and frying pans she threw at me I didnt get mad,maybe thats why she kept throwing them,I was laughing....and dodging ****e.

Niflmir
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

I was married to a redhead,no matter how many eggs and frying pans she threw at me I didnt get mad,maybe thats why she kept throwing them,I was laughing....and dodging ****e.

If you are into masochism, then it is not abuse. Reminds me of a game I used to play when I was young when we used to throw fist sized rocks at each other.

CDNBear
+3

Holy crap, you really are a misogynistic piece of work. I'm not interested in "controlling" anybody let alone the women in my life.

Either your admitted stupidity prevented you from understanding what Gh said, or it made you assume what he meant, with out clarification, or it has made "misogynist" your new catch word.

Which is it Jimmy?

I must say though, it was quite nice of Ariadne to teach you that big word.

Kakato
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

If you are into masochism, then it is not abuse. Reminds me of a game I used to play when I was young when we used to throw fist sized rocks at each other.

I'm not into any "ism's". She just had a redhead german temper that I could not temper.
Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and dodge the bullets so you dont wind up in the ultimate doghouse.
Beware the doghouse,Dont buy her a dual bag vacuum cleaner for your anniversary.

Beware of the Doghouse- Hilarious! - YouTube (external - login to view)

Niflmir

I'm not into any "ism's". She just had a redhead german temper that I could not temper.
Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and dodge the bullets so you dont wind up in the ultimate doghouse.
Beware the doghouse,Dont buy her a dual bag vacuum cleaner for your anniversary.

Beware of the Doghouse- Hilarious! - YouTube (external - login to view)

I see you are into notintoism. Yeah, my forefathers made that mistake so that I wouldn't have to.

JLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Either your admitted stupidity prevented you from understanding what Gh said, or it made you assume what he meant, with out clarification, or it has made "misogynist" your new catch word.

Which is it Jimmy?

Yep, I was thinking that word was about 6 letters beyond his capacity. Now don't breathe this to a soul, but I just had to look the sucker up myself.

Kakato

I see you are into notintoism. Yeah, my forefathers made that mistake so that I wouldn't have to.

No,I bought the wife a dual bag vacuum cleaner for our anniversary. heh!

Ocean Breeze
+1
It is hard to believe that we are even discussing this in what is supposed to be an evolved country... Maybe there is something in the water that these Albertans (that support violence against women) drink.

regardless........ANY violence, physical and verbal does not make for positive relationships.

those that claim that violence against women is ok.....should realize that they by virtue of being fair.....also beleive that violence against men is just as valid.

and as such.........move society back into the stone age.

No,I bought the wife a dual bag vacuum cleaner for our anniversary. heh!

well that is really practical. Now you BOTH can use it.

Niflmir
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean BreezeView Post

It is hard to believe that we are even discussing this in what is supposed to be an evolved country... Maybe there is something in the water that these Albertans (that support violence against women) drink.

regardless........ANY violence, physical and verbal does not make for positive relationships.

those that claim that violence against women is ok.....should realize that they by virtue of being fair.....also beleive that violence against men is just as valid.

Agreed, but at least one person has turned that statement around: if a person believe that violence against men is ok, then by virtue of equality, shouldn't they believe that violence against women ok?

Ocean Breeze
+1

Agreed, but at least one person has turned that statement around: if a person believe that violence against men is ok, then by virtue of equality, shouldn't they believe that violence against women ok?

and the end result is still the same thing. A throwback of society into a more primitive time.

Violence against either gender , if it is a gender issue.......it NOT ACCEPTABLE. (no matter how kinky their sexual fantasies are) and in general.

that is the problem with BELIEFS......as THINKING and rational, reasonable thought should be the paramount factor.

we all have seen situations that result when basic kitchen /domestic violence accelerates into something much much worse. That is the problem with any destructive behavior. It does not maintain a status quo.......as soon more violence is "needed" to achieve the same so called effect. (or message)

Cannuck

Violence against either gender , if it is a gender issue.......it NOT ACCEPTABLE. (no matter how kinky their sexual fantasies are) and in general.

I disagree. Whatever twists your knickers is fine by me if it's done between consenting adults.

Ocean Breeze

I disagree. Whatever twists your knickers is fine by me if it's done between consenting adults.

that is your choice. Maybe that is why victimized people have such a tough time even recognizing they are being victimized and abused. We all have heard stories of kinky behavior gone real bad.

Of course......this could be the ingredients of a mutually co dependant abusive relationship that is usually held in secret until something tragic happens........and it hits the news........and "everyone' says "gee, and they seemed like such a nice quiet couple" .

Oh!! just noticed : you are from ALBERTA. hmmm.

Goober

well that is really practical. Now you BOTH can use it.

You say on found in Alberta. What have you been drinking. Oh yes the Kool Aid again.

karrie
+3

Explain how it's an 'Alberta' issue

Cannuck

that is your choice.

No, it's not my choice. It is the choice of some other people. I just respect their choices.

Quote:

Maybe that is why victimized people have such a tough time even recognizing they are being victimized and abused. We all have heard stories of kinky behavior gone real bad.

Maybe. Maybe they just have a fetish.

Quote:

Of course......this could be the ingredients of a mutually co dependant abusive relationship that is usually held in secret until something tragic happens........and it hits the news........and "everyone' says "gee, and they seemed like such a nice quiet couple" .

Could be. Or perhaps they just have a fetish.
Quote:

Oh!! just noticed : you are from ALBERTA. hmmm.

No, I'm from Manitoba. I only live in Alberta.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Which is it Jimmy?

Poor old Cannuck, he just don't do well when it comes to common sense issues.

Dexter Sinister
+1

it seems you are talking about emotional reaction to being hit,

No, I'm talking about the larger picture, not individual cases, there's a societal double standard here that I strenuously object to. I don't care about any size differences between combatants, that's a red herring. Anybody who attacks me I'm going to try to put on the floor as quickly as possible. My wife's about 130 pounds, I'm around 210, but anyone who thinks she couldn't do serious damage to me if she chose to make a surprise first strike should come over and meet her, she's 130 pounds of coiled steel. Your rule, "don't hit someone you might seriously injure, unless you are defending yourself in a situation where your life might be in danger" has to go both ways, and once one person's broken that rule, I see no justification for insisting the other person abide by it.
Quote:

I don't care about who is allowed to do what, that is beside the point.

I think that's exactly the point, that's the societal double standard. Referring to the restaurant scenario I offered earlier, most people seeing a woman strike a man or a man strike a woman would probably assume in both cases that the man is in the wrong. And that's wrong.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

No, I'm talking about the larger picture, not individual cases, there's a societal double standard here that I strenuously object to. I don't care about any size differences between combatants, that's a red herring. Anybody who attacks me I'm going to try to put on the floor as quickly as possible. My wife's about 130 pounds, I'm around 210, but anyone who thinks she couldn't do serious damage to me if she chose to make a surprise first strike should come over and meet her, she's 130 pounds of coiled steel. Your rule, "don't hit someone you might seriously injure, unless you are defending yourself in a situation where your life might be in danger" has to go both ways, and once one person's broken that rule, I see no justification for insisting the other person abide by it. I think that's exactly the point, that's the societal double standard. Referring to the restaurant scenario I offered earlier, most people seeing a woman strike a man or a man strike a woman would probably assume in both cases that the man is in the wrong. And that's wrong.

You can't take a punch from a 130lb woman or out run one?

55Mercury
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

ROFLMFAO

I was abused by my first wife...pots, pans, assorted flying objects, fists, feet..... at no time did I hit her back.

The above is just more rationalizations by the weak minded.

yeah, but like the rest of us, you knew you deserved it, ain't that right, gerryh?

lol