Poll: Some Alberta men believe violence against women is okay

Spade
+2
I am sure there are times you have to hit a doe jackrabbit to protect yourself. Personally, I have never had to. Also, I have never had to use violence against a woman. I dare say that also is unlikely to happen. Reducing an argument to "What if the woman were holding a thermonucear device?' is somewhat specious.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni FucciView Post

is inconsistent with:

While it's not stated in the former statement that you would cause physical harm, it's certainly implied, and if you denied it, I'd say you were being dishonest...

Is this a double standard or a circular argument?

Either way it invalidates your apparent conviction over this matter...

No double standard..... while it may be necessary to knock your empty head off, and while I don't necessarily agree with having to do that.... it is NEVER neasary to hit a woman.

I am NOT a pacifist, I am pro life. Therefore, while I will not take a life and don't believe in taking a human life for any reason, I have no problem with "teaching you a lesson". Women, on the other hand, are not the same as men. Women you do not hit, period, for any reason.

lone wolf
+3
Oh, in the period's the WORST time....

karrie
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Oh, in the period's the WORST time....

oh
my
gawd

wolf...you nearly made me choke.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

I don't think hitting people is ok either, and sometimes it is necessary for your health and survival.... but men do NOT hit women..period.

Now, let's address your other perceived prejudice..... what exactly do you mean with your last statement in brackets?

I think they call it "gender reassignment" and it doesn't happen over night.

B00Mer
+1 / -1
Welcome to Jesusland...

eh1eh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Alberta is mostly a conservative province?

Don't be so prejudice. It's because one in ten bitches like it.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I think they call it "gender reassignment" and it doesn't happen over night.

Expand on that JLM

B00Mer
boo hoo wulfie68 gave me a neg for insulting Alberta.. lol

Then I will give Alberta credit... FYI how many here knew that Brokeback Mountain was filmed on location in Alberta, Canada.

Two Gay cowboys, only Alberta style.. LOL

The Brokeback Truck - Darryl Solly Interview (external - login to view)

Now wulfie68 piss off.. I'm from Alberta.. lived down the road from the general store in Crossfield, Alberta.. yup where Brokeback Mountain was filmed... the only difference is.. I can joke about it..

You know you would think folks in Texas would be super Red Necks.. 20 years in Texas and Alberta still gets a gold star as Red Neck central.

I also have plenty of family from Red Deer.

I also have a several businesses in Alberta.

So wulfie68, I love Alberta, I like BC..

JLM

Expand on that JLM

Sorry, but I'm not really in the know about the procedure or the details.

gerryh

Sorry, but I'm not really in the know about the procedure or the details.

Then why bring up something that you know nothing about.

JLM

Then why bring up something that you know nothing about.

Because you asked.

Upon rereading my post I did err..............I should have said "everyone" instead of "anyone".
Last edited by JLM; Mar 16th, 2012 at 07:55 PM..

gerryh

(In this day and age can you actually be certain of the gender of anyone?)

Because you asked.

Upon rereading my post I did err..............I should have said "everyone" instead of "anyone".

You brought it up, I asked you to elaborate before I outright called you a bigot.

JLM

You brought it up, I asked you to elaborate before I outright called you a bigot.

And how am I a bigot? I see people quite often who I'm not sure of their gender...............I'm not maligning the person.

gerryh

And how am I a bigot? I see people quite often who I'm not sure of their gender...............I'm not maligning the person.

and what does your inability to decide on a persons sex have to do with Transgenderism?

JLM

and what does your inability to decide on a persons sex have to do with Transgenderism?

Nothing except it could be the reason.

gerryh

Nothing except it could be the reason.

roflmao...... and I suppose you think all "effeminate" looking men are gay, and all gays are "effeminate".

JLM
+1

roflmao...... and I suppose you think all "effeminate" looking men are gay, and all gays are "effeminate".

I don't recall mentioning anything about "gay", besides I'm pretty reluctant to think in terms of "ALL" when discussing anything.

Dexter Sinister

No double standard..... .... it is NEVER neasary to hit a woman.

How about women hitting men, got any opinions about that?

Cliffy
+2
My first wife (1971) was being very rude to a friend of mine so I commented on it. Her reaction was to whack me on the back of the head with a frying pan. Took me a while to recover, but I never hit her. I just walked out of the house and took my friend out for dinner. She never did that again, partly because I moved out shortly after.

Blackleaf
+1
They should do a poll to see how many women think violence against men is okay.

The results will probably be even more shocking.

Women, on the other hand, are not the same as men. Women you do not hit, period, for any reason.

Absolute rubbish.

If some mad cow started attacking me with a rolling pin, a cricket bat or a hammer I will do everything I can to defend myself, even if it means smacking her in the teeth.

SLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

They should do a poll to see how many women think violence against men is okay.

Actually the poll really doesn't say that. The newspaper article with it's attention grabbing headline does.

Quote:

The results will probably be even more shocking.

I've no doubt. It's just one of the many things that there are double standards about in our society. Double standards usually cut both ways, personally I try not to buy into any of that.

JLM

My first wife (1971) was being very rude to a friend of mine so I commented on it. Her reaction was to whack me on the back of the head with a frying pan. Took me a while to recover, but I never hit her. I just walked out of the house and took my friend out for dinner. She never did that again, partly because I moved out shortly after.

Well, she certainly never did that to YOU again!

Cannuck
+1

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Alberta is mostly a conservative province?

It's not a mostly conservative province. The only people that seem to think so are those that only look at the labels and don't dig a little deeper into the policies.

Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Personally, I think that women that dress provocatively are taking an unnecessary risk ... but that's a pretty old fashioned way of looking at things

I'm guessing the 40% of men cited in the study are at the higher end of the age scale.

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

How about women hitting men, got any opinions about that?

That shouldn't happen either, but if it does, it doesn't give men carte blanche to retaliate in kind.

talloola
+1

Not really, I think you missed the point. The difference is in what society generally perceives as what constitutes a justifiable reason for a woman to strike a man and a man to strike a woman. My experience suggests the rule is that it's okay for a woman to slap a man if he insults her, makes an unwelcome proposition, touches her inappropriately, makes a lewd suggestion, and there are probably others. Society seems to recognize that there are circumstances where it's okay for a woman to strike a man, but it's never okay for a man to strike a woman. I don't think that's right. I don't think the issue of domestic violence is violence against women, it's simply violence itself. And I can assure you, I'll never strike the first blow, but any woman who takes a swing at me is going to get it back, same as a man would. You want to be treated as equals, you got it, both the good and the bad. It also seems relevant to point out that women are less likely than men to engage in physical violence, but more likely to engage in emotional violence, which is no less damaging, it just doesn't leave any visible marks.

I knew exactly what you were expecting, I gave my answer irrespective of that because for me it is basic
and simple, bigger on smaller, smaller on bigger, attitude about physical contact so 'different' between
sexes, the decision to hit so different between sexes, didn't miss the point at all, I don't care what society thinks or perceives, and I don't think its OK for anyone to slap anyone.

Dexter Sinister
Neither do I, but a lot of people do, and there are gender differences in that, which irk me.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

I knew exactly what you were expecting, I gave my answer irrespective of that because for me it is basic
and simple, bigger on smaller, smaller on bigger, attitude about physical contact so 'different' between
sexes, the decision to hit so different between sexes, didn't miss the point at all, I don't care what society thinks or perceives, and I don't think its OK for anyone to slap anyone.

Neither do I, but a lot of people do, and there are gender differences in that, which irk me.

Interesting, yet earlier you stated

Not really, I think you missed the point. The difference is in what society generally perceives as what constitutes a justifiable reason for a woman to strike a man and a man to strike a woman. My experience suggests the rule is that it's okay for a woman to slap a man if he insults her, makes an unwelcome proposition, touches her inappropriately, makes a lewd suggestion, and there are probably others. Society seems to recognize that there are circumstances where it's okay for a woman to strike a man, but it's never okay for a man to strike a woman. I don't think that's right. I don't think the issue of domestic violence is violence against women, it's simply violence itself. And I can assure you, I'll never strike the first blow, but any woman who takes a swing at me is going to get it back, same as a man would. You want to be treated as equals, you got it, both the good and the bad. It also seems relevant to point out that women are less likely than men to engage in physical violence, but more likely to engage in emotional violence, which is no less damaging, it just doesn't leave any visible marks.

Dexter Sinister
+3
Yeah, so? I'll defend myself if attacked. I don't think I should be attacked, but I'm not going to stand there and take it if I am. Self-defense is the lesser evil. The world isn't as black and white as you'd like it to be.

petros
+1
If you can't take a punch from a woman......