Poll: Some Alberta men believe violence against women is okay

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Of course you don't, no real surprise.

thanks, i'm surprised you 'got it', lol lol lol

you must have taken your meds on time today.

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Rednecks

TROLL!!! lol

Dexter Sinister
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

The difference in the force of the smacks.

Not really, I think you missed the point. The difference is in what society generally perceives as what constitutes a justifiable reason for a woman to strike a man and a man to strike a woman. My experience suggests the rule is that it's okay for a woman to slap a man if he insults her, makes an unwelcome proposition, touches her inappropriately, makes a lewd suggestion, and there are probably others. Society seems to recognize that there are circumstances where it's okay for a woman to strike a man, but it's never okay for a man to strike a woman. I don't think that's right. I don't think the issue of domestic violence is violence against women, it's simply violence itself. And I can assure you, I'll never strike the first blow, but any woman who takes a swing at me is going to get it back, same as a man would. You want to be treated as equals, you got it, both the good and the bad. It also seems relevant to point out that women are less likely than men to engage in physical violence, but more likely to engage in emotional violence, which is no less damaging, it just doesn't leave any visible marks.

Spade
Some men believe violence against women is okay ( if the women start it.) Hmmmm...

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

And I can assure you, I'll never strike the first blow, but any woman who takes a swing at me is going to get it back, same as a man would. You want to be treated as equals, you got it,....

Geez Dexter, what are you, a conservative religious gun nut Albertan?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Not really, I think you missed the point. The difference is in what society generally perceives as what constitutes a justifiable reason for a woman to strike a man and a man to strike a woman. My experience suggests the rule is that it's okay for a woman to slap a man if he insults her, makes an unwelcome proposition, touches her inappropriately, makes a lewd suggestion, and there are probably others. Society seems to recognize that there are circumstances where it's okay for a woman to strike a man,but it's never okay for a man to strike a woman. I don't think that's right. I don't think the issue of domestic violence is violence against women, it's simply violence itself. And I can assure you, I'll never strike the first blow, but any woman who takes a swing at me is going to get it back, same as a man would. You want to be treated as equals, you got it, both the good and the bad. It also seems relevant to point out that women are less likely than men to engage in physical violence, but more likely to engage in emotional violence, which is no less damaging, it just doesn't leave any visible marks.

That's right, and any "man", and I use the term VERY loosely in this context, that feels otherwise is less than useless. If you're going to hit a woman, you fu cking well better not do it in front of me.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Some men believe violence against women is okay ( if the women start it.) Hmmmm...

He does make a point (I've seen how some women act in bars) you combat them in whatever way subdues them using the least physical force, now if she's a 6'2" brute who has been setting chokers all her life you may have to "manhandle" her.

That's right, and any "man", and I use the term VERY loosely in this context, that feels otherwise is less than useless. If you're going to hit a woman, you fu cking well better not do it in front of me.

Well said Gerry, BUT there are exceptions to every rule.

mentalfloss
I'm a very pacifist kind of guy, but I remember one time where the wifey got me so upset that I grabbed her by the shoulders and pinned her against the wall. She thought it was pretty hot, lol

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Well said Gerry, BUT there are exceptions to every rule.

No, there isn't.

lone wolf
+1
I've seen some gals who use that "never hit a woman" thing to their advantage quite skillfully.

55Mercury
some women are really men with cvnts and need a slap

just sayin

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I've seen some gals who use that "never hit a woman" thing to their advantage quite skillfully.

Yup, so have I.... doesn't make a difference.

Quote: Originally Posted by 55MercuryView Post

just sayin

You may feel they "need it", but as far as I'm concerned, if you dealt it out you are less than useless.

lone wolf

Yup, so have I.... doesn't make a difference.

Trollin' is trollin' no matter how you want to look at it. "I dare you" only goes so far until the line gets crossed. It comes down to how much pushing is too much - especially if there's ego or a big fat Court settlement involved.

gerryh
Sorry, as far as I am concerned, there is no reason what so ever to hit a woman.

B00Mer
This whole thread is about hitting women.. why hit anyone, same sex or opposite sex. Are we such base animals that we can not control our emotion and talk things out in a rational way.. and if it comes to where you are so angry, leave the room or remove yourself from the confrontation..

I guess it's easier in Canada.. I mean living in the US.. if it's to that point where both are ready to fight.. chances are there won't be blows, but rather bullets flying.

lone wolf

Sorry, as far as I am concerned, there is no reason what so ever to hit a woman.

Agreed ... just the same as there is no reasoning with the woman charging at you with knife in hand and kill in eyes - especially when she's between you and the door.

55Mercury
how about if some bitch is pounding the crap out of your wife, gerryh? you're just going to hug her, right? and then if she starts pounding on you, what then?

gerryh

how about if some bitch is pounding the crap out of your wife, gerryh? you're just going to hug her, right? and then if she starts pounding on you, what then?

restrain and call police.... but I can see how the simple minded would think that the only option is beating the crap out of her.

karrie
+5
#79  Top Rated Post

just sayin

How very Sean Connery of you.

imo, a person is a person, and if that person is dealing out violence on another person, they should do what it takes to get away from the situation, end of story. I don't care if it's a chick beating a guy and he has to dish a blow or two out to get out of the way. People need to understand that dealing out violence may result in violence. The 'male female' bull has done nothing to serve women in learning to control their capacity for harming other human beings. It's resulted in nothing but feigned innocence when serious harm comes from their actions.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

How very Sean Connery of you.

imo, a person is a person, and if that person is dealing out violence on another person, they should do what it takes to get away from the situation, end of story. I don't care if it's a chick beating a guy and he has to dish a blow or two out to get out of the way. People need to understand that dealing out violence may result in violence. The 'male female' bull has done nothing to serve women in learning to control their capacity for harming other human beings. It's resulted in nothing but feigned innocence when serious harm comes from their actions.

Not fair adding this on after I give you a thumbs up....... so....a thumbs up for the connery crack... a thumbs down for the rest.

JLM

No, there isn't.

Your flexibility isn't showing!

gerryh

Your flexibility isn't showing!

For somethings, there is no "flexibility". Killing and beating on women are 2 of those things.

55Mercury

restrain and call police.... but I can see how the simple minded would think that the only option is beating the crap out of her.

well now, there's a leap

you're saying "never hit" but if you should be forced to hit to, as karrie says, get away from the situation, it somehow equates to "beating the crap out of" in your deluded way of seeing things.

I see.

do go on

karrie
+1

Not fair adding this on after I give you a thumbs up....... so....a thumbs up for the connery crack... a thumbs down for the rest.

yes I saw that after I posted the second half.... I was going to comment.

I'm sorry but I just don't see how I can or should expect a man to turtle and take a beating from me.

No one has any right to start violence against another human being. And they have no right to expect anything but like force once they decide to do so.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

yes I saw that after I posted the second half.... I was going to comment.

I'm sorry but I just don't see how I can or should expect a man to turtle and take a beating from me.

No one has any right to start violence against another human being. And they have no right to expect anything but like force once they decide to do so.

Never said that I would "take a beating", I just don't believe a man should be returning *** for tat. I will restrain, I will walk away from it, but I will not return same.

JLM

For somethings, there is no "flexibility". Killing and beating on women are 2 of those things.

If my life or the life of someone close to me was in danger, but both killing and beating would be a distinct possibility.

gerryh

well now, there's a leap

you're saying "never hit" but if you should be forced to hit to, as karrie says, get away from the situation, it somehow equates to "beating the crap out of" in your deluded way of seeing things.

I see.

do go on

There is no reason to hit a woman...period....and I don't think very much of any man that sits there coming up with reasons and excuses for situations where HE feels it would be "ok".

If my life or the life of someone close to me was in danger, but both killing and beating would be a distinct possibility.

Nice to see you think so little of life and women.

All these guys that can come up with reasons to hit a woman...... and "I'm" called a coward for saying I won't kill. Pretty sad.

lone wolf

There is no reason to hit a woman...period....and I don't think very much of any man that sits there coming up with reasons and excuses for situations where HE feels it would be "ok".

Nice to see you think so little of life and women.

All these guys that can come up with reasons to hit a woman...... and "I'm" called a coward for saying I won't kill. Pretty sad.

You do realize there is a difference between "OK" and justified don't you? How about that verbal stuff you dole out? Some of those hits hurt more and longer than physical ones.

If you're gonna preach perfect ... BE IT

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

You do realize there is a difference between "OK" and justified don't you? How about that verbal stuff you dole out? Some of those hits hurt more and longer than physical ones.

If you're gonna preach perfect ... BE IT

Then I will be more exact.... there is NO justification for hitting a woman.

As for being "verbal" on an anonymous message board... there is no comparison.

karrie
+1

Never said that I would "take a beating", I just don't believe a man should be returning *** for tat. I will restrain, I will walk away from it, but I will not return same.

I know women you'd NEED to hit to get away from, that's my only point. If Mulk's kickboxing police officer cousin decided to kick your *** for example, I don't think restraining or walking away would suffice, and I don't think the presence of tits means you have to take what she decides to dish out.