Pedophile teacher busted

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

He won't be charged with being a pedophile. He will be charged with sexual assault. For the life of me, I can't understand why this is so difficult to grasp

You can be a pedophile and never abuse kids. Clearly this issue is confusing to you. PM me if you like and I can go over it again for you.

Possibly. We don't know that. Time will tell.

A pedophile is any adult sexually attracted to children. Of course he is a pedophile.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

I think that is a very good way of going about it.

I don't. I believe the purpose of the justice system should be to protect the public. Mentally ill or not mentally ill, if you are a danger to the public, you should be locked away for as long as you are a danger. The only difference is where you are locked away.

If you are no longer a danger, then I see no reason to lock people up. To do so would simply be punishing somebody for being ill.

Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

A pedophile is any adult sexually attracted to children. Of course he is a pedophile.

That has not been proven. There is nothing in the story that proves this guy is attracted to children. They may simply have been an easy target. As I've already said a few times, he may very well have tried this **** on seniors if he had been working in an old folks home.

#juan

I don't. I believe the purpose of the justice system should be to protect the public. Mentally ill or not mentally ill, if you are a danger to the public, you should be locked away for as long as you are a danger. The only difference is where you are locked away.

If you are no longer a danger, then I see no reason to lock people up. To do so would simply be punishing somebody for being ill.

That has not been proven. There is nothing in the story that proves this guy is attracted to children. They may simply have been an easy target. As I've already said a few times, he may very well have tried this **** on seniors if he had been working in an old folks home.

Nonsense.....If you sexually molest children, you are a pedophile......Regardless of whatever else you may be. It has been proven to my satisfaction the pedophiles cannot be "cured".

Ron in Regina

That day has come and gone about 30 years ago. It changed direction
about '72 or so. Thre's a famous quote to go along with that, but it's
late, & I've got to be to work in 7&1/2hrs...so I doubt I'll hunt for it
tonight.

It was something like, "The focus will no longer be to protect the public,
but to reabilitate the offender" or something along those lines. With
that, away went the prison farms (to feed themselves) and up went
the prison costs.

P.S. Sorry. Tired. '72 is about 40yrs ago, in the Trudeau era...
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Feb 5th, 2012 at 11:44 PM..

Cannuck

Nonsense.....If you sexually molest children, you are a pedophile.

Nope.

gerryh
World English Dictionary
paedophile or esp ( US ) pedophile (ˈpiːdəʊˌfaɪl)n

a person who is sexually attracted to children pedophile or esp ( US ) pedophile n

Pedophile | Define Pedophile at Dictionary.com (external - login to view)

lone wolf
+2
Black is white. Black is white. Black is white. Black is white. Black is white. Black is white. Black is white. Black is white. Black is white. Black is white. Black is white. Black is white. Black is white. Black is white.

#juan

Nope.

That is just gopey. The definition of a pedophile is one who molests children. What this
weirdo did certainly qualifies as child molestation or child abuse. What else are you
going to call him?

JLM

That is just gopey. The definition of a pedophile is one who molests children. What this
weirdo did certainly qualifies as child molestation or child abuse. What else are you
going to call him?

A couple of cuts above senior citizens who have "sentenced" the baby boomers and succeeding generations to abject poverty while they are paying for the unmitigated greed, imposed upon them.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

But the position has been put forth that this form of sexuality is a mental illness as apposed to a sexual orientation. Indirectly offering the defence of innocent by reason of mental disorder. If pedophilia is a mental disorder, then we'd have to revisit homosexuality and BDSM as possible mental illnesses as well.

I don't buy it as a mental disorder yet I also don't buy it as a sexual orientation. Orientation, to my way of looking at it, describes the gender of whom one is oriented towards: opposite, same, both, or neither. Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or asexual. That's the base and everything else pertaining to an individual's sexuality jumps off from there.

As far as a mental disorder, I can't quite buy that either. There are a lot of people who do not act upon their darkest fantasies, choices have to be made. In the extreme example of someone who cannot control their impulses and actually feel compelled to act upon them, they are actually not able to hide them very well. And if they are, it's not usually for very long. Think of someone with extreme OCD, very difficult to hide. Whereas these guys can hide it for a lifetime, many have. That's a lot of control for someone who has no control over their actions.

And, to my understanding, there is a big difference between the psychological definition of insanity and the legal one. So I don't necessarily think pedophilia, if viewed as a mental disorder, would necessarily open up anything in terms of a defence against crimes.

Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

With regards to Vince Li, didn't he take himself off the medication that he was prescribed? If that is the case, then it would be his fault. This isn't directed at you Karrie, I just quoted you as I agree with your point about the fact that he cut off someone's head and that he shouldn't be let out scott-free for that.

Of course, it's been a while since I've read about this incident, so I could be thinking about someone else that stopped taking their medication.

No, I blame them for the actions that they do. I don't care if a person is mentally ill or "legally" sane. If they do something that is morally reprehensible than they do need to face the consequences. Mental illness shouldn't be able to be used as a "get out of jail free" card. There needs to be some culpability or there won't be any justice for the victims(in the case of the OT, the children who were fed semen!).

Sometimes it's not even about blame, it's about risk. Using Li as an example, I can buy the idea that, off his meds, he was so delusional as to not be responsible for his actions the way that you or I would be responsible for our actions. But he should be separated from the public because of the risk he poses. To my way of thinking, letting him out poses the same risk as letting out Bernardo, and no one would ever talks about doing that.

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I personally believe the not guilty by reason of insanity plea should be removed from our system. Not sent to prison by reason of insanity should replace it. You kill somebody and are insane, you spend 25 years to life in a mental institution rather than a prison.

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Treat them by all means but once someone has demonstrated the risk they pose to others, then the safety of the public takes precedent.

Cannuck

That is just gopey. The definition of a pedophile is one who molests children.

No. A pedophile is one that is sexually attracted to kids. I know laymen get this confused sometimes.

What this weirdo did certainly qualifies as child molestation or child abuse. What else are you
going to call him?

Child molester.

JLM

No. A pedophile is one that is sexually attracted to kids. I know laymen get this confused sometimes.

Child molester.

Semantics isn't the point here, the point is the O.P. was about one sick, demented, depraved, degenerate A$$hole who should be castrated with a rusty sardine can lid!

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Semantics isn't the point here, the point is the O.P. was about one sick, demented, depraved, degenerate A$$hole who should be castrated with a rusty sardine can lid!

Well yes, you have already shown many times that you like to over react. Some of us tend to be a little more measured and analytical (not to mention civilized) in our response. I tend to think it is one of those things that separates us (well me anyway) from monkeys.

JLM

Well yes, you have already shown many times that you like to over react. Some of us tend to be a little more measured and analytical (not to mention civilized) in our response. I tend to think it is one of those things that separates us (well me anyway) from monkeys.

Whatever, I take a dim view of putting ejaculate in children's mouths, but if you want to go along with it that's up to you.

oleoleolanda
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

And yet, everything you say shows how pedophilia IS like alcoholism.

How so?

Cannuck

Whatever, I take a dim view of putting ejaculate in children's mouths, but if you want to go along with it that's up to you.

Has anybody on this thread said they want to go along with it? Is that really the best you can do?

JLM

And yet, everything you say shows how pedophilia IS like alcoholism.

That would be a bit of a stretch, alcoholics normally don't molest kids. I think the only similarity is that both have practicing and non practicing subjects.

Cannuck

That would be a bit of a stretch, alcoholics normally don't molest kids. I think the only similarity is that both have practicing and non practicing subjects.

Both may or may not do things that harm other people if they don't control their urges.

oleoleolanda
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

A person with normal sexual orientation has nearly an unlimited number of possible sexual partners with whom they can pursue healthy relationships. If I am attracted to someone and it isn't reciprocated, I can move on until I find someone who is as attracted to me as I am to them.

A pedophile has no sexual partners with whom they can pursue a healthy relationship. Treatments for this condition exist, but have a low chance of success:
Pedophilia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

There are all kinds of people who for a variety of reasons are not able to have the option of a healthy sexual relationship and don't have even a limited number of posibble sexual partners. These can include victims of sexual abuse. You're projecting the pedophile's sense of entitlement to their pathology and self pity with no responsibility or compassion for their victims into your argument.

TenPenny

That is just gopey. The definition of a pedophile is one who molests children.

You and gerry should try to get your story straight.

Is the definition of pedophile one who molests children, or one who is sexually attracted to children?

That would be a bit of a stretch, alcoholics normally don't molest kids.

holy, cow, are you really that stupid? Where did I say that alcoholics normally molest kids?

****, this thread is full of people who can't even comprehend written words.

JLM

Both may or may not do things that harm other people if they don't control their urges.

Is that the best you can do?

oleoleolanda
+2

An alcoholic tends to lack a sense of personal responsibility towards how his or her actions affect others. A pedophile doesn't just lack a sense of responsibility, however. They directly target their victims, with full awareness to the lifelong injuries they are causing. It's the difference between manslaughter and first degree murder.

IdRatherBeSkiing

How is letting a crazy person out to kill again protecting the public? The guy who slaughtered the poor guy on the bus was released from a prior offence and 'cured' and was told to take his pills. Unfortunatly, our system does not allow someone to forcably shove those pills down the crazy persons throat so we can't really make them take their pills. I am sure he will be released again and kill somebody else.

lone wolf
I think someone is playing semantics with a word in common usage to denote people of ugly character. It takes the word from "poor sick fellow needs help" realm and deposits it right where it belongs in the disgusting category. No, he has not been diagnosed. No it is not a get-out-of-jail-free card. If they're clever enough to hide it, maybe they're clever enough to stay ahead of Bubba and the boyz in prison.

#juan

Is the definition of pedophile one who molests children, or one who is sexually attracted to children?

The term, "pedophile" is generally taken by the public to mean child molester or one who molests children though the
dictionary meaning is "sexually attracted to children". I know that all "pedophiles" don't act on those desires
but I think we are walking a fine line here. Pedophiles often take jobs where they are close to children and
have some control over those children. Some are never do anything to be detected but I don't think pedophiles
should be hired as teachers etc.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by oleoleolandaView Post

An alcoholic tends to lack a sense of personal responsibility towards how his or her actions affect others.

I couldn't disagree more.

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

How is letting a crazy person out to kill again protecting the public?

Um....is there something particular in my post that you do not comprehend?

The term, "pedophile" is generally taken by the public to mean child molester or one who molests children though the
dictionary meaning is "sexually attracted to children". I know that all "pedophiles" don't act on those desires
but I think we are walking a fine line here. Pedophiles often take jobs where they are close to children and
have some control over those children. Some are never do anything to be detected but I don't think pedophiles

...and some sexual predators take a job without regard for who they are close to and simply assault the easiest or most available targets.

lone wolf
+1
...and some glib individuals practice their crazy-making behaviour on others then point the blame away when it all caves in beyond their control

JLM

I don't think pedophiles

They may do alright teaching a geriatrics class, but kindergarten wouldn't be recommended.

An alcoholic tends to lack a sense of personal responsibility towards how his or her actions affect others.

Some do, some don't.

earth_as_one

going to call him?

Child molester.

a) Pedophile
b) Sadist
c) Insane
d) All of the above
e) Some of the above
f) None of the above
I pick d.

There are all kinds of people who for a variety of reasons are not able to have the option of a healthy sexual relationship and don't have even a limited number of posibble sexual partners. These can include victims of sexual abuse. You're projecting the pedophile's sense of entitlement to their pathology and self pity with no responsibility or compassion for their victims into your argument.

I support justice.

Legal Judgement
Responsibility for Actions
Punishment
Rehabilitation
Victim Compensation

Excuse me for not joining a vigilante lynch mob.

shadowshiv
Apparently, all of the staff at the school will be getting let go due to the actions of this teacher and another teacher who was put into custody on suspicion of molesting two young girls. I think that is an overreaction to say the least, as there are 100 staff members there. It says that they will still be getting paid, but for how long and what the heck are they supposed to do for a job in the future? Also, what about their pensions? Here is the article, from canoe.ca.

LOS ANGELES - In an attempt to regain parents' trust, educational officials said on Monday they are replacing all staff at a Los Angeles school where two instructors are accused of having sexually abused children.
Police on January 30 arrested Miramonte Elementary instructor Mark Berndt, who they say placed cockroaches on students' faces and offered them spoonfuls of a substance found to be semen. Four days later they arrested another teacher, Martin Springer, on suspicion of molesting two students.
The arrests angered parents with children in the school, which is located in a poor and largely Latino area near South Los Angeles, and raised serious questions about oversight on the campus.
"The superintendent feels the changeover is important given what is happening in the school," said Tom Waldman, a spokesman for Los Angeles Unified School District Superintendent John Deasy.
The school district decided to replace the staff to "restore confidence in the school with the parents, give it a fresh start," Waldman said.
Even though troubled Miramonte ranks as one of the largest elementary schools in the nation, with about 1,400 students, replacing its staff can be done as many qualified teachers are searching for jobs, Waldman said.

Deasy met on Monday with parents of children studying at Miramonte. Earlier in the day, dozens of parents staged a protest rally outside the school.
Berndt, 61, was charged with 23 counts of lewd acts on children. He remains jailed on bail of $23 million.
His arrest followed a year-long investigation that began when a drug store photo processor turned over pictures to police that showed students blindfolded and with their mouths covered with tape.
Some of the pictures, which were taken in a classroom, showed students with a milky substance held up to their faces that was later determined, through DNA analysis of a plastic spoon, to be Berndt's semen, Los Angeles County sheriff's officials said.
In some cases, children were pictured with large, live Madagascar-type cockroaches on their faces and mouths, the Sheriff's Department has said.
Four days after Berndt's arrest, police took Springer into custody on suspicion of molesting two students, who were both girls about 7 years old, authorities said.
Captain Mike Parker of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said last week an initial investigation did not find the two cases are connected, other than the fact both Springer and Berndt taught at the same school. Publicity surrounding Berndt's arrest led to authorities receiving the complaints against Springer, Parker said.
Springer, 49, has not been formally charged, but he was scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday.
United Teachers Los Angeles, the union representing teachers in the city, said in a statement it supports a "thorough, vigorous and fair investigation of all the allegations."
Miramonte Elementary has over 100 staff members, according to its website.
The displaced staff will continue to be paid and will receive counseling, Waldman said. The school district plans to replace the staff over the next two days, when the campus will be closed, he said. Because of layoffs from budget cuts in recent years, the district has many teachers on a re-hiring waiting list who can move in to open positions at Miramonte Elementary, he said.