Pedophile teacher busted


SLM
#271
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Apparently, all of the staff at the school will be getting let go due to the actions of this teacher and another teacher who was put into custody on suspicion of molesting two young girls. I think that is an overreaction to say the least, as there are 100 staff members there. It says that they will still be getting paid, but for how long and what the heck are they supposed to do for a job in the future? Also, what about their pensions? Here is the article, from canoe.ca.
LOS ANGELES - In an attempt to regain parents' trust, educational officials said on Monday they are replacing all staff at a Los Angeles school where two instructors are accused of having sexually abused children.
Police on January 30 arrested Miramonte Elementary instructor Mark Berndt, who they say placed cockroaches on students' faces and offered them spoonfuls of a substance found to be semen. Four days later they arrested another teacher, Martin Springer, on suspicion of molesting two students.
The arrests angered parents with children in the school, which is located in a poor and largely Latino area near South Los Angeles, and raised serious questions about oversight on the campus.
"The superintendent feels the changeover is important given what is happening in the school," said Tom Waldman, a spokesman for Los Angeles Unified School District Superintendent John Deasy.
The school district decided to replace the...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Wow. That seems rather extreme. They'll have to place them elsewhere or else open themselves up for multiple wrongful dismissal cases.

I take it the principal is going nowhere though.
 
shadowshiv
+1
#272
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Wow. That seems rather extreme. They'll have to place them elsewhere or else open themselves up for multiple wrongful dismissal cases.

I take it the principal is going nowhere though.

The problem is that the unemployment there is so high that there are literally enough teachers that would be able to fill all the vacancies immediately. I don't think that there would be a place for the ousted staff to go to!
 
SLM
+1
#273
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

The problem is that the unemployment there is so high that there are literally enough teachers that would be able to fill all the vacancies immediately. I don't think that there would be a place for the ousted staff to go to!

True enough, if they have enough of a waiting list that they can replace 100 positions in two days. This is the board and/or principal trying to make it seem like they are doing something by doing anything. And it's a bad idea.

For some reason it reminds me somewhat of the backlash/paranoia against daycares back in the eighties when there was that one daycare, I think also in California, where there was rampant molestation. (At least I think, I may be remembering it wrong).

Punish all the innocent by-standers, that'll learn 'em.
 
shadowshiv
#274
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

True enough, if they have enough of a waiting list that they can replace 100 positions in two days. This is the board and/or principal trying to make it seem like they are doing something by doing anything. And it's a bad idea.

For some reason it reminds me somewhat of the backlash/paranoia against daycares back in the eighties when there was that one daycare, I think also in California, where there was rampant molestation. (At least I think, I may be remembering it wrong).

Punish all the innocent by-standers, that'll learn 'em.

In high-profile cases such as this, there always seems to be that overreaction(like the incidents you mentioned), and the people that had no way of knowing this was going on end up suffering for one person's(two in this case) misdeeds. I think that there may be some wrongful termination lawsuits if this ends up happening. It's a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
 
oleoleolanda
#275
Quote:

Some do, some don't

I don't include recovering alcoholics in that because those are people who have taken very difficult steps to take responsibility for themselves. I think often active alcoholics are filled with self blame and guilt but that's not the same thing as taking responsibility for one's actions and how they affect others. Isn't that part of AA, supporting alcoholics in taking that step towards responsibility?

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

a) Pedophile
b) Sadist
c) Insane
d) All of the above
e) Some of the above
f) None of the above
I pick d.



I support justice.

Legal Judgement
Responsibility for Actions
Punishment
Rehabilitation
Victim Compensation

Excuse me for not joining a vigilante lynch mob.

I support prevention of victimization of children. Justice is about what to do with someone who has already victimized. In many ways, it is always a case of too little, too late.Let's focus on prevention. Describing the criticism of the perception of pedophiles as poor helpless victims who suffer from a psychiatric disorder--which is simply accepting the pedophile/sexual abusers self excuses and justification--as a vigilante mobi s simply empowering pedophiles in society to be able to hide behind victim status. That empowerment is an endangerment to children.
 
karrie
#276
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

In high-profile cases such as this, there always seems to be that overreaction(like the incidents you mentioned), and the people that had no way of knowing this was going on end up suffering for one person's(two in this case) misdeeds. I think that there may be some wrongful termination lawsuits if this ends up happening. It's a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

It's not that it's a high profile case, it's that it was a case of systematic, repeated, abuse. The problem is that it's super tricky to know how far that abuse spread. If this was taking place, who knew? Who helped? Who excused it?
 
lone wolf
#277
I think the over-reaction (firing a whole school) will serve to make the problem (diddlers {or dribblers} in positions of trust) appear more widespread than it really is.
 
SLM
#278
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

It's not that it's a high profile case, it's that it was a case of systematic, repeated, abuse. The problem is that it's super tricky to know how far that abuse spread. If this was taking place, who knew? Who helped? Who excused it?

All valid questions for sure but my gut tells me this is something that was done to appease a group of parents.
 
shadowshiv
#279
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

It's not that it's a high profile case, it's that it was a case of systematic, repeated, abuse. The problem is that it's super tricky to know how far that abuse spread. If this was taking place, who knew? Who helped? Who excused it?

Perhaps some other staff members knew(but that would make them just as bad as he is), but there is no way the entire school would know! I don't agree with what they did.

Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

All valid questions for sure but my gut tells me this is something that was done to appease a group of parents.

Judging from what was written in the article, this is what sounds like happened.
 
SLM
#280
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Perhaps some other staff members knew(but that would make them just as bad as he is), but there is no way the entire school would know! I don't agree with what they did.

I'm sure there were possibly a few who didn't want to know and thus didn't question why the door was locked so often. But how does anyone prove that? If there was anyone like that there, their own cowardice overpowered their conscience a long time ago so I doubt they'll confess to it.

Anyway if the logic behind the mass layoff/firing was that they should have known and did nothing then I think the principal should also be out of work right now. It is, after all, his or her job to know what is going on in the school.
 
karrie
#281
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

All valid questions for sure but my gut tells me this is something that was done to appease a group of parents.

Dont get my wrong, I'm not saying it's right. But, yeah, I'm sure it was done to appease a group of parents, likely the parents whose kids were abused. Because how do you feel safe sending your kid there again? You make sure no one is left who might have been a part of preying on your kid.

Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post


Anyway if the logic behind the mass layoff/firing was that they should have known and did nothing then I think the principal should also be out of work right now. It is, after all, his or her job to know what is going on in the school.

According to shadow's article, the superintendent is referring to laying off the entire staff. That would include the principal.
 
L Gilbert
+2
#282
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

According to shadow's article, the superintendent is referring to laying off the entire staff. That would include the principal.

Seems heavy-handed and unnecessary to me. I doubt all the staff knew what was going on.
As far as keeping a handle on things happening in schools, CCTVs plastered all over would put a crimp in shady activities.
 
SLM
#283
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Dont get my wrong, I'm not saying it's right. But, yeah, I'm sure it was done to appease a group of parents, likely the parents whose kids were abused. Because how do you feel safe sending your kid there again? You make sure no one is left who might have been a part of preying on your kid.

Yes, if my kid was at that school I'd be screaming bloody murder. But looking at it from a distance it does look like a witch-hunt of sorts. It's all well and good to say 'any possibility of impropriety' until you happen to be one of the ones caught in the net.

Basically it's a no win situation for all peripheral parties.

Quote:

According to shadow's article, the superintendent is referring to laying off the entire staff. That would include the principal.

My bad. I must have been thinking of the original article, I think the principal is quoted in that one, he or she made some statements. I think I just got them mixed up.
 
shadowshiv
#284
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I'm sure there were possibly a few who didn't want to know and thus didn't question why the door was locked so often. But how does anyone prove that? If there was anyone like that there, their own cowardice overpowered their conscience a long time ago so I doubt they'll confess to it.

Anyway if the logic behind the mass layoff/firing was that they should have known and did nothing then I think the principal should also be out of work right now. It is, after all, his or her job to know what is going on in the school.

With a school that size, I would expect that the majority of other staff members had no idea that this was going on. There's no way to be 100% certain who the ones who did know were, which is unfortunate.
 
spaminator
#285
Dr. Phil.com - Shows - Shocking School Sex Abuse Accusations (external - login to view)
 

Similar Threads

0
Dozens Busted For Child Porn At Pentagon
by Stretch | Jul 25th, 2010
4
Big Bang Busted
by darkbeaver | Feb 23rd, 2008
1
Busted
by Jo Canadian | Apr 30th, 2005
26
BUSTER BUSTED
by galianomama | Mar 30th, 2005
5
Santa's helpers busted
by Col Man | Jan 6th, 2005
no new posts