Marines and Honour

ironsides
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

All four US Marines seen in a video apparently urinating on dead Afghans...

So what? This is not a crime against humanity, the Afghans were dead. The Marines were wrong and will be dealt with. It they were under Canadian law probably a slap on the wrist and a demotion. Not much worse will happen to them here. Time to move on to your next anti American topic.

captain morgan
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

So what? This is not a crime against humanity, the Afghans were dead. The Marines were wrong and will be dealt with.

Gotta wonder if a kid pissing in a public swimming pool also qualifies for 'crimes against humanity' in the eyes of eao.

It they were under Canadian law probably a slap on the wrist and a demotion. Not much worse will happen to them here. Time to move on to your next anti American topic.

Not even.. Chances are that the Cdn brass would order that the latrines be relocated over the bodies and requisition a cargo plane of Molson's to be delivered ASAP

ironsides
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Gotta wonder if a kid pissing in a public swimming pool also qualifies for 'crimes against humanity' in the eyes of eao.

Not even.. Chances are that the Cdn brass would order that the latrines be relocated over the bodies and requisition a cargo plane of Molson's to be delivered ASAP

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

I disgree that I gloss over Palestinian war crimes. I have listed them repeatedly on this forum:

We do not have to search thru a dictionary to describe what you are.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

That's right, pissing on a corpse is classless and hateful, but there is the question of how harmful?

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

That's right, pissing on a corpse is classless and hateful, but there is the question of how harmful?

From what I understand the Taliban have not made an issue of this. The Marines will face discipline - Now civilians have turned or try to turn this into a debate about War Crimes.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

From what I understand the Taliban have not made an issue of this. The Marines will face discipline - Now civilians have turned or try to turn this into a debate about War Crimes.

Is there anything in the Geneva Convention about pissing on a dead enemy???

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

I can't think of a valid reason why! That act would be more detrimental to the perpetrator than to anyone else!

Goober

Not sure. But in Military Law there are a number of charges that can be laid.

darkbeaver

There is.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

There is.

Link?.....thanks in advance...

Not sure. But in Military Law there are a number of charges that can be laid.

Probably under the ROC.

Goober
+1

Probably under the ROC.

Conduct unbecoming - is one catch all in the Canadian military. I believe it is sect 129 under Military law.

darkbeaver

Your welcome, in advance.

TenPenny

Geneva Convention II of 1949

Art 18. After each engagement, Parties to the conflict shall, without delay, take all possible measures to search for and collect the shipwrecked, wounded and sick, to protect them against pillage and ill-treatment, to ensure their adequate care, and to search for the dead and prevent their being despoiled

darkbeaver
The Marines should be sentenced to be gang pissed on in at large tavern.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Geneva Convention II of 1949

Art 18. After each engagement, Parties to the conflict shall, without delay, take all possible measures to search for and collect the shipwrecked, wounded and sick, to protect them against pillage and ill-treatment, to ensure their adequate care, and to search for the dead and prevent their being despoiled

At Sea....
The section header:
Convention (II) for the Amelioration of the Condition of Wounded, Sick and Shipwrecked Members of Armed Forces at Sea. Geneva, 12 August 1949.

ironsides
+3
Here ya go, it happens with all military units at one time or another.

"The war in Afghanistan has proven to be an enduringly nasty conflict, and rules of engagement nigh impossible to make out. The occupation soldiers of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) face a formidable enemy they find hard to locate yet finds highly lethal in effectiveness. When that enemy becomes accessible, be they living or dead, the response is often one of incandescent rage and sacrificial blood lust. In such contexts, words such as interring the dead honorably, ‘if possible according to the rites of the religion to which they belonged’ fade into insignificance. The law falls silent."
Desecrating the Enemy: The US Marines and the Taliban | Scoop News (external - login to view)

Canadian sniper cleared of desecrating al-Qaeda body (external - login to view)
National Post ^ | February 8, 2003 | Stewart Bell

Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 1:11:24 PM by Clive (external - login to view)

A Canadian sniper up for the Bronze Star medal for his combat role in Afghanistan has been cleared of allegations he desecrated the body of a dead al-Qaeda fighter, the Defence Department said yesterday.
Military investigators lacked evidence for charges against Master Corporal Arron Perry and another Canadian, following allegations soldiers cut the finger off an enemy combatant and staged a "trophy" photo of the body.
The investigation also examined claims a soldier defecated on a second body. Master Cpl. Perry had been suspended pending the outcome of the probe, but was returned to duty yesterday in Edmonton.
"After a thorough investigation by the National Investigation Service, the evidence wasn't sufficient to support charges in that case," said Captain Mark Giles, a Department of National Defence public affairs officer.
Master Cpl. Perry, a member of Edmonton's 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, said he was relieved the investigation had concluded.
"I'm glad finally it's done," he said.
The sniper was part of a small group of Canadian soldiers who directly engaged the Taliban and al-Qaeda during a tour in Afghanistan. He has been credited with helping save soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division pinned down by enemy fire in Shah-i-Kot Valley.
The Canadians' sharp-shooting on al-Qaeda machine-gun nests and mortar positions were chronicled in Soldier of Fortune magazine. U.S. commanders have since recommended the snipers for Bronze Stars recognizing heroic or meritorious service.
But a few weeks after that triumph, Master Cpl. Perry was sent home under a cloud of suspicion. Allegations surfaced in mid-March that he had interfered with a body and there were reports of a photograph showing a dead enemy fighter with a cigarette in his mouth and a small sign on his chest reading "f--k terrorism." But the investigation centred on claims a soldier had taken a finger from the body.
Canadian sniper cleared of desecrating al-Qaeda body (external - login to view)

Goober

Here ya go, it happens with all military units at one time or another.
"The war in Afghanistan has proven to be an enduringly nasty conflict, and rules of engagement nigh impossible to make out. The occupation soldiers of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) face a formidable enemy they find hard to locate yet finds highly lethal in effectiveness. When that enemy becomes accessible, be they living or dead, the response is often one of incandescent rage and sacrificial blood lust. In such contexts, words such as interring the dead honorably, ‘if possible according to the rites of the religion to which they belonged’ fade into insignificance. The law falls silent."
Desecrating the Enemy: The US Marines and the Taliban | Scoop News
Canadian sniper cleared of desecrating al-Qaeda body
National...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
I served with those snipers in the 3rd Bn PPCLI.
They were ostracized by the Unit. Treated shamefully.
An investigation of their complaint was investigated by the Ombudsman's Office. Nothing was found. This office has become an adjunct for Senior Officers. They are no longer filling their mission statement and have been sidelined by Politics

ironsides

I served with those snipers in the 3rd Bn PPCLI.
They were ostracized by the Unit. Treated shamefully.
An investigation of their complaint was investigated by the Ombudsman's Office. Nothing was found. This office has become an adjunct for Senior Officers. They are no longer filling their mission statement and have been sidelined by Politics

It is a shame, they were only doing their job and rumors were their downfall. Politics can destroy everything. To appease the public, something had to be done and they were the sacrificial lambs.

Goober

It is a shame, they were only doing their job and rumors were their downfall. Politics can destroy everything. To appease the public, something had to be done and they were the sacrificial lambs.

A number of fine Soldiers left the Military because of this. From that very unit that hung their men out to dry.

There is a very old saying about 3rd Bn, PPCLI - They eat their own. I know from experience as I was also eaten by the very same unit in 99

Just the Facts
+3

So what? This is not a crime against humanity, the Afghans were dead. The Marines were wrong and will be dealt with. It they were under Canadian law probably a slap on the wrist and a demotion. Not much worse will happen to them here. Time to move on to your next anti American topic.

Demotion AND a slap? Wow, that's harsh!

I say give each marine his $25.00 citation for urinating in public, and forget about it.

oleoleolanda
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

The Marines should be sentenced to be gang pissed on in at large tavern.

That would be a difference between you and the Marines. They pissed on dead bodies, which I think is wrong and reprehensible, but is clearly a form of venting. You, on the other hand, believe living human beings should be gang pissed on, which is desire to inflict degradation and torture on another for the sake of revenge.

Cannuck
Spot the uniform. Can You identify which people in the following pictures are wearing uniforms?

lone wolf
+1
It's not a uniform if it's not uniform....

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Spot the uniform. Can You identify which people in the following pictures are wearing uniforms?

Your uniform fetish aside. If you didn't get it the first time, there's obviously no point in beating a dead horse and embarrassing you, yet again.
Last edited by CDNBear; Feb 17th, 2012 at 05:47 PM..

Goober

We are well aware of you having many problems with Police. Makes a man wonder why you, excepting the Wizard from BC have so many bad encounters with Police.

CDNBear
+1

We are well aware of you having many problems with Police. Makes a man wonder why you, excepting the Wizard from BC have so many bad encounters with Police.

Oh this isn't about his Police State nuttery (Which stems from him being charged with DUI). This is about his uniform fetish.

Why do you think he wishes he was a Fireman?

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Oh this isn't about his Police State nuttery (Which stems from him being charged with DUI). This is about his uniform fetish.

Why do you think he wishes he was a Fireman?

They say pyromaniacs are sexually frustrated. Time he got a hand on it.

Cannuck

I don't have a problem with police. I have a problem with poor police.

Goober

I don't have a problem with police. I have a problem with poor police.

Well it is clear that you attract them. Perhaps a change in cologne?