Montreal family kills daughters


#juan
+1
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

So right, juan. It took the jury only two days to decide on the verdict. Of course, the defense will now appeal the verdict but with such a strong case for the prosecution and with such overwhelming evidence of guilt, the three murderers will surely spend the rest of their lives exactly where they belong - behind bars.

The jury had a choice of first degree or second degree and they chose first degree. I don't know what grounds an appeal might be granted on but the next jury will look at the same evidence and come up with the same answer.
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
L Gilbert
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

The police aren't necessarily clued into honour killings from third world countries, and since no crime had yet been committed, they couldn't do much. Cop shows have this all the time.

Physical abuse is illegal in Canada.

Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

So right, juan. It took the jury only two days to decide on the verdict. Of course, the defense will now appeal the verdict but with such a strong case for the prosecution and with such overwhelming evidence of guilt, the three murderers will surely spend the rest of their lives exactly where they belong - behind bars.

Right.

Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

The jury had a choice of first degree or second degree and they chose first degree. I don't know what grounds an appeal might be granted on but the next jury will look at the same evidence and come up with the same answer.

Well, they have to apply for an appeal to begin with. You can't just appeal stuff. I doubt the application will get anywhere.
 
Mowich
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

You'd have to define "the rest of their lives"....but that's a different topic.

This can & should send a clear message regarding "honour" murders, but
I can see appeals coming on this, and the finger of racism (or religionism,
or whatever...) being thrown out. Maybe condemnation from the U.N. about
the evils of Canadians in general for being non-inclusive of other cultures,
ect....

Apparently the were sentenced to 25 years, Ron. At least for the father, that could well mean 'the rest of his life'. An appeal is a foregone conclusion though as the 'experts' are saying right now, unless there is overwhelming evidence that the judge erred in allowing certain evidence, an appeal will not succeed, but that will be years from now. There is also the fact that though they will be eligible for parole in 25 years, the Crown has the right to fight it.
 
Ron in Regina
#34
25yrs, but eligible for parole in 15yrs I believe. I could be wrong though.
It sure wouldn't be the first time (today, even).
 
#juan
+1
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

25yrs, but eligible for parole in 15yrs I believe. I could be wrong though.
It sure wouldn't be the first time (today, even).

I believe first degree murder carries an automatic sentence of life imprisonment with no chance of parole
for twenty five years.
 
Mowich
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

25yrs, but eligible for parole in 15yrs I believe. I could be wrong though.
It sure wouldn't be the first time (today, even).

All the lawyers so far are saying 25, Ron.

I was just thinking that the verdict vindicated DG's decision to state the family 'killed' the 'daughters' before the verdict was in.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I believe first degree murder carries an automatic sentence of life imprisonment with no chance of parole
for twenty five years.

That is basically true but I think the old faint hope clause used to kick in after 15.
 
#juan
+1
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

That is basically true but I think the old faint hope clause used to kick in after 15.

Let's hope there isn't even a faint hope....
 
Mowich
#39
“It is difficult to conceive of a more heinous, more despicable and more honourless crime,” Ontario Superior Court Judge Robert Maranger said Sunday after the jury foreman had read aloud the verdicts.


Looking directly at Mohammad Shafia, 58, Tooba Mohammad Yahya, 42 and their oldest son Hamed as they stood before him in the prisoners’ box for the last time, the judge concluded with a stinging denunciation.


“The apparent reason behind these cold-blooded, shameless murders was that the four completely innocent victims offended your twisted notion of honour, a notion of honour that is founded upon the domination and control of women, a sick notion of honour that has absolutely no place in any civilized society.”


"By using the words “honourless” and “shameless”, Maranger was tossing back at Shafia some of the very epithets he used so often when speaking about his dead daughters."


Shafia trial verdict: No honour in
 
WLDB
#40
Im happy with the verdict.
 
#juan
+1
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

That is basically true but I think the old faint hope clause used to kick in after 15.

I wasn't sure so I looked it up.

What is the faint-hope clause?

The faint-hope clause, or judicial review, section 745.6 of the Criminal Code, states that prisoners serving the maximum sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole for 25 years may apply for early parole after serving 15 years.
The clause was added to the Criminal Code after Parliament abolished the death penalty in 1976 and replaced it with mandatory life terms of imprisonment for first-degree and second-degree murder.
A first-degree murder charge requires evidence of premeditation. It also encompasses contract killings and the murder of police officers and prison employees.
The provision was added to encourage rehabilitation for convicted murderers and to align with other countries that allow convicted murderers to be paroled after 15 years.
The section was amended in 1997 to add a review of the case by a judge. It also imposed the requirement for a unanimous agreement, rather than eight out of 12 jurors. People convicted of more than one murder in Canada must serve 25 years before being eligible for parole
 
lone wolf
+1
#42
In something like this, I wouldn't object at all to four consecutive life sentences
 
Durry
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

] People convicted of more than one murder in Canada must serve 25 years before being eligible for parole[/B]

25 yrs before being eligible .......does this mean they could be locked up for more than 25 yrs??
 
Ron in Regina
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

25 yrs before being eligible .......does this mean they could be locked up for more than 25 yrs??


Potentially, they may never get out. Think Clifford Olsen or Robert Picton.

In reality, argument could be made that they aren't a danger to society as a
whole...but only to any future children of their own...unlike the two names I
tossed out there. So....your guess is as good as anyone's.
 
Durry
#45
Well, the old man will probably die in prison, but the son and wife will be able to survive 25 yrs.. I think ??
 
bill barilko
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Well, the old man will probably die in prison, but the son and wife will be able to survive 25 yrs.. I think ??

No one can predict the future no one knows who will live and who will die.

But we do know that prison life is hard, medical care is marginal and there is little rehabilitation for those such as the Shafia family.

Note that they will almost certainly never see each other again-the system has a way of dealing with that.
 
#juan
#47
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Potentially, they may never get out. Think Clifford Olsen or Robert Picton.

In reality, argument could be made that they aren't a danger to society as a
whole...but only to any future children of their own...unlike the two names I
tossed out there. So....your guess is as good as anyone's.

In Olson's case, being eligible didn't help him. He died in prison years after his
twenty five years were up.
 
Durry
#48
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

But we do know that prison life is hard, medical care is marginal and there is little rehabilitation for those such as the Shafia family.

Note that they will almost certainly never see each other again-the system has a way of dealing with that.

I know you cant predict the future, but I was just speculating.
Are you sure about the medical care??? Are you also sure they will never see each other ??? The father and son could wind up in the same prison !!! The wife might get visiting previleges, we live in a socialist society,,you know ???
 
Sparrow
#49
I hope this verdict sends a clear message to those who still believe in the barbaric belief. However, I think they should be send back to their country and blacklisted from ever returning to Canada. Yes they deserve jail time but do we deserve to foot the bill for keeping these people in jail.
 
Durry
#50
How many other kids did this family have here, does anybody know ?
 
Sparrow
#51
Apparently they had 7. In the new they said that the Child Protection Service have removed the children from the home.
 
TenPenny
#52
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

The wife might get visiting previleges, we live in a socialist society,,you know ???

What do those two things have to do with each other? Every once in a while, I think you have a clue, but then you post stuff like this.
 
bill barilko
#53
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

I know you cant predict the future, but I was just speculating.

Bullsh!tting is more like it.

Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Are you sure about the medical care???

Ever read compliments about Canada's World Class prison health system?

Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Are you also sure they will never see each other ??? The father and son could wind up in the same prison !!!

In which case officials will ensure they are placed as far from each other as possible-that's how the prison system works.

Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

The wife might get visiting previleges (sic)...

Pigs might fly-they might.
 
Durry
#54
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Bullsh!tting is more like it.

Ever read compliments about Canada's World Class prison health system?

In which case officials will ensure they are placed as far from each other as possible-that's how the prison system works.

Pigs might fly-they might.

I really don't think you know what you're talking about. Your the bull****ter here.
What do you know about health care in prison vs public,,,,ans nothing!!
Where they place each prisioner, what are the policies,,,,ans. you know sh^t about prison policies !!
Wife visit... Again, prision policy,,,, of which you know nothing about...

Go back and have another beer,,,bull****ter!!!
 
WLDB
#55
Meh, little things. They're locked up and given its a multiple murder they wont be getting out.
 
shadowshiv
+1
#56
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I believe first degree murder carries an automatic sentence of life imprisonment with no chance of parole
for twenty five years.

That is correct, which is why I was glad they were found guilty of first degree murder. I just wish that it could be issued with NO parole allowed ever!

Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

In Olson's case, being eligible didn't help him. He died in prison years after his
twenty five years were up.

In Olson's case, he didn't care. He knew he was never getting out, he just enjoyed putting the families of his victims through the wringer every time his Faint Hope came up. And that is why they need to get rid of it. You murder someone, you serve your entire sentence!
 
DurkaDurka
#57
These sick bastards and their cultural BS needs a swift case of lethal injection.

Canada News: Shafia family members guilty of first-degree murder - thestar.com

Good riddance.
 
Kreskin
#58
The case sends a clear message to those who value honour more than the life of others. The son will likely get out in his 50's or 60's but any way you slice it his life will be a miserable one for a very long time.
 
bill barilko
+1
#59
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

I really don't think you know what you're talking about. Your the bull****ter here.
What do you know about health care in prison vs public,,,,ans nothing!!

I know people both who work in the prison system and I know people who've served time-which is several orders of magnitude more than you


Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Where they place each prisioner, what are the policies,,,,ans. you know sh^t about prison policies !!
Wife visit... Again, prision policy,,,, of which you know nothing about...

Again I do have inside info from people who work in the prison system-both in Prince Albert Saskatchewan and Kingston Ontario.

You OTOH rarely leave the confines of the double wide-as anyone reading the drool that you spew here can easily tell.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#60
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Bullshyte. Multiculturalism is neither bad nor good. It is people that are too boneheaded to accept that there are other countries that have standards for behavior. They think they can come here and not adapt to standards here, but keep their own.

Multiculturalism is seen a competitor to Canadianism, and that is bad MCism because it is beyond our control. MCism no longer serves any useful purpose, many thought it was harmless pablum but it has become a weapon to cram tradtional Asian values into Canada the majority do not support at all like honour killing.

Yet to oppose MCism, one is called a racist because you oppose dark skinned Asians and Africans, and you cannot effectively respond because whites have racist and colonial guilt that renders any response meaningless. Time to end that.

MCism is very political and very charged, and immigrants that come here are very often very interested in poltics, while most Canadians aren't interested in politics. So the immigrants are getting their way because they want to work the system, no shun it.

[/QUOTE]
Nonsense. Have you any idea what is in the immigration courses that people have to pass before becoming Canadian citizens? Have you any idea how deeply some people's religions, politics, etc. are that they think can ride over Canadian standards?[/QUOTE]

They still seem to move to their ethnic enclaves and they are growing, as are the frequency of honour killings. Once they get back into their groups-in Canada, they forget the BS paperwork.
 

Similar Threads

0
Man Kills Family With Carbon Monoxide
by sanctus | Oct 21st, 2007
no new posts