Fear Inc.

earth_as_one
#1
On July 22, a man planted a bomb in an Oslo government building that killed eight people. A few hours after the explosion, he shot and killed 68 people, mostly teenagers, at a Labor Party youth camp on Norway’s Utoya Island.

By midday, pundits were speculating as to who had perpetrated the greatest massacre in Norwegian history since World War II. Numerous mainstream media outlets, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Atlantic, speculated about an Al Qaeda connection and a “jihadist” motivation behind the attacks. But by the next morning it was clear that the attacker was a 32-year-old, white, blond-haired and blue-eyed Norwegian male. He was not a Muslim, but rather a self-described Christian conservative.

According to his attorney, he claimed responsibility for his self-described “gruesome but necessary” actions. On July 26, he told the court that violence was “necessary” to save Europe from Marxism and “Muslimization.” In his 1,500-page manifesto, which meticulously details his attack methods and aims to inspire others to extremist violence, he vows “brutal and breathtaking operations which will result in casualties” to fight the alleged “ongoing Islamic Colonization of Europe.”

His manifesto contains numerous footnotes and in-text citations to American bloggers and pundits, quoting them as experts on Islam’s “war against the West.” This small group of anti-Muslim organizations and individuals in our nation is obscure to most Americans but wields great influence in shaping the national and international political debate. Their names are heralded within communities that are actively organizing against Islam and targeting Muslims in the United States.
(see link below)

This thread is NOT about the nutcase who slaughtered all those people in Oslo Norway. This forum already has several threads on that topic

Big Explosion in Oslo
The Christian Lie :)
“2083 – A European Declaration of Independence”

The Oslo slaughter is a symptom of a problem in western society... irrational fear of Muslim and Islamic culture. You won't hear much about this problem or much else about the Oslo killer in the news because most mainstream editorial slants promote irrational fear of Islam which was his primary motivation.

This attack was one consequence of the actions of a small, tightly networked group of misinformation experts. Collectively they guide an effort that reaches millions of people through effective advocates, media partners and grassroots organizing. This spreading of hate and misinformation primarily starts with five key people and their organizations, which are sustained by funding from a clutch of key foundations. What happened in Norway could have happened here. While this network remains active, it could happen again.

I support free speech within limits. You can't yell "fire" in a theatre. Nor should you be able to promote irrational fear of a group of people and not have some responsibility for the consequences.

I've come to similar conclusions as these people:
Fear, Inc.: The Roots of the Islamophobia Network in America

About the Center for American Progress
The Center for American Progress is dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through progressive ideas and action.

Center for American Progress LogoBuilding on the achievements of progressive pioneers such as Teddy Roosevelt and Martin Luther King, our work addresses 21st-century challenges such as energy, national security, economic growth and opportunity, immigration, education, and health care.

We develop new policy ideas, critique the policy that stems from conservative values, and challenge the media to cover the issues that truly matter and shape the national debate.
About Us
Last edited by earth_as_one; Oct 8th, 2011 at 08:46 AM..
 
DaSleeper
+1
#2
Déja-vu???
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+3
#3
One deranged individual is not a symptom of Western Society's fear of Muslims. If that was the case there would cases of this cropping up all over the place. This guy in Oslo was a nutbar, who had a manifesto. This deranged individual was no different than Ted Kazynsky or even Timothy McVeigh.

This is a straw dog you are building to try and counter the epidemic of extremism that exists in many Muslim Countries.

I could certainly spend the morning list 100's of incidents involving extreme Islam, but I got stuff to do.

Maybe later.
 
Colpy
Conservative
+5
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

On July 22, a man planted a bomb in an Oslo government building that killed eight people. A few hours after the explosion, he shot and killed 68 people, mostly teenagers, at a Labor Party youth camp on Norway’s Utoya Island.
By midday, pundits were speculating as to who had perpetrated the greatest massacre in Norwegian history since World War II. Numerous mainstream media outlets, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Atlantic, speculated about an Al Qaeda connection and a “jihadist” motivation behind the attacks. But by the next morning it was clear that the attacker was a 32-year-old, white, blond-haired and blue-eyed Norwegian male. He was not a Muslim, but rather a self-described Christian conservative.
According to his attorney, he claimed responsibility for his self-described “gruesome but necessary” actions. On July 26, he told the court that violence was “necessary” to save Europe from Marxism and “Muslimization.” In his 1,500-page manifesto, which meticulously details his attack methods and aims to inspire others to extremist violence, he vows “brutal and breathtaking operations which will result in casualties” to fight the alleged “ongoing Islamic Colonization of Europe.”
His manifesto contains numerous footnotes and in-text citations to American bloggers and...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Okay....let's get something straight.....

The fundamentalist followers of the death cult that worships the pedophile war mongerer Mohammed (fleas be upon him) are at war with everything we value in the west.

They demand our schools become Mosques.

Our vaunted "Human Rights Commissions" are afraid to tackle them when they are exclusive and biased in their dealings with the larger polity.

They demand special consideration in their medieval custom of masking their women.

They demand the suspension of our most valued rights, such as freedom of speech.

They even go on campaigns to eliminate our pets, such as the current Muslim jihad against dogs in Spain.

They are completely incompatible with western society.

They have committed horrific acts of mass murder in the west in Britain, the United States, Russia and Spain.

They have been caught planning mass murder in Canada, Britain, Spain, the USA,. France, Sweden.............just off the top of my head, and that only includes the western countries.

Since 9-11, in ten years, they have committed 17,834 terror attacks..........that is almost five a day.

Islam is inherently hateful of Jews, tolerant of pedophilia, hateful of liberty, disrespectful of women, glorifies war, and demands the utmost adherence from its followers.

It is as if David Koresh had one billion aggressive followers.

Lefty, Islam-loving peace-niks are like lemmings, just not as cute.
 
earth_as_one
#5
link please RE:"Since 9-11, in ten years, they have committed 17,834 terror attacks..........that is almost five a day."
 
Colpy
Conservative
+2
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

link please RE:"Since 9-11, in ten years, they have committed 17,834 terror attacks..........that is almost five a day."

Islam: Making a True Difference in the World - One Body at a Time
 
CDNBear
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

On July 22, a man planted a bomb in an Oslo government building that killed eight people. A few hours after the explosion, he shot and killed 68 people, mostly teenagers, at a Labor Party youth camp on Norway’s Utoya Island.
By midday, pundits were speculating as to who had perpetrated the greatest massacre in Norwegian history since World War II. Numerous mainstream media outlets, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Atlantic, speculated about an Al Qaeda connection and a “jihadist” motivation behind the attacks. But by the next morning it was clear that the attacker was a 32-year-old, white, blond-haired and blue-eyed Norwegian male. He was not a Muslim, but rather a self-described Christian conservative.
According to his attorney, he claimed responsibility for his self-described “gruesome but necessary” actions. On July 26, he told the court that violence was “necessary” to save Europe from Marxism and “Muslimization.” In his 1,500-page manifesto, which meticulously details his attack methods and aims to inspire others to extremist violence, he vows “brutal and breathtaking operations which will result in casualties” to fight the alleged “ongoing Islamic Colonization of Europe.”
His manifesto contains numerous footnotes and in-text citations to American bloggers and...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
That's a real nice post. So was this one...

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Norway is taking action against a radical Islamic cleric and is involved in the Afghan war. They also reprinted the infamous Mohammed cartoons. So its not a stretch that a radical Muslim extremist is behind the attacks. BTW, I was in Oslo on business just 2 months ago. I was working in the suburbs, but I did stroll around downtown and I recognize the street from the photos.

Mere minutes after it was posted, you were blaming Muslims, and making excuses for them.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#8
EAO may tout this as a hate site like some have done without arguing the contents...but since he seems to like WIKI... here is a few that describe the same thing....

List of terrorist incidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of Palestinian suicide attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
earth_as_one
#9
I made that post at the time the Oslo nutjob was shooting people and the airwaves were full of people speculating that the attack might be related to Muslim extremism. I've never claimed Muslim extremism isn't a serious threat or that we should ignore it. I have never defended people who attack innocent civilians. In fact, I'm one of the few people here who consistently condemns violence against innocent civilians. Other people here have advocated (half jokingly) killing millions of people and destroying important religious sites:

Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Maybe I was thinking too small.


Irrational hate and fear regarding Muslims is a problem and as the Oslo massacre proves, Islam extremism isn't the only extremist threat out there..

Extremists who advocate violence should be held responsible for the actions of people listen to them.
 
CDNBear
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

I have never defended people who attack innocent civilians.

I said you make excuses for them. Then I proved it.

Making excuses, is defending.

Quote:

The Oslo massacre proves, Islam extremism isn't the only extremist threat out there.

No one said it was. But only one has a wicked score card.
 
earth_as_one
-1
#11
You drink the same flavor of Kool Aid as the Oslo Killer.
 
CDNBear
+2
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

You drink the same flavor of Kool Aid as the Oslo Killer.

Why don't you get to proving the data in the link wrong, before you start attacking Colpy?
 
earth_as_one
#13
here is my second post in that thread as the facts became more clear:

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

My bad, this is starting to look more like a Columbine type incident:


Suspect held over island shooting is Norwegian: Official - The Times of India

They captured the suspect in the shootings. The shootings appear related to the bombing.

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I said you make excuses for them. Then I proved it....

I'd call this post BS, except delusional is probably a more accurate description. I just reviewed your posts and they consisted of trolling commentary like this:



Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

You think...

...

Just look at how the bigots jump to conclusions, then justify the attack.





I guess those two posts by OB, answer your silly post.


Like your typical contributions on the US?

Just can't help yourself, can you?

Like yourself, whenever the US might remotely be involved.

I love your double standards.



What does that matter when you relish in a reality you create for yourself?

 
CDNBear
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

here is my second post in that thread as the facts became more clear:

Your point?

What you condemn in the OP, you do yourself.

Quote:

I'd call this post BS...

Of course you would. To bad I proved it though eh?

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Norway is taking action against a radical Islamic cleric and is involved in the Afghan war. They also reprinted the infamous Mohammed cartoons. So its not a stretch that a radical Muslim extremist is behind the attacks.

Yep, making excuses, and blaming Muslims.

Quote:

... except delusional is probably a more accurate description.

You're right, that would be a more accurate description of your claims.

Quote:

I just reviewed your posts and they consisted of trolling commentary like this:

"Hey!!! Quick!!! Look over there>>>"

Good call, your hypocrisy was showing.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#15
Hey Bear how come EAO has me on ignore but not you?
 
CDNBear
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Hey Bear how come EAO has me on ignore but not you?

I am on EAO's iggy list.

Want to see a quote from EAO claiming just that?

Something seems amiss, perhaps it has something to do with me hitting the nail on the head far to often.
 
earth_as_one
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Why don't you get to proving the data in the link wrong, before you start attacking Colpy?

Colpy's link referenced TheReligionofPeace.

I don't have to prove Coly's source promtes irrational fear of Muslims to claim he is drinking the same flavor of Kool Aid as the Oslo Killer. All I have to do to make that claim is prove the Oslo Killer also took Colpy's referenced link seriously.

Proof:

The political blogs Breivik read included Jihad Watch, The Brussels Journal, TheReligionofPeace and Atlas Shrugs, each of which advocates a harsh, polemicist view of Muslims. An example from TheReligionofPeace, "we see no use in pretending that Islam is just another religion ... . In fact, Islam is dreadfully unique."
Breivik frequented both American and European websites. Jihad Watch and Atlas Shrugs are run respectively by Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller, both vocal opponents of the Ground Zero Islamic Center and co-authors of "The Post-American Presidency: The Obama Administration's War on America."
Jihad Watch has had funding from David Horowitz’s Freedom Center via Joyce Chernick, the wife of software millionaire Aubrey Chernick, according to Politico. It has also received money from the Milwaukee-based conservative Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation.
TheReligionofPeace is registered in Georgia, U.S., and run by a man who calls himself Glen Reinsford.
Anders Behring Breivik's scary internet world | Anti-Islam Blogs | GlobalPost
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I am on EAO's iggy list.

Want to see a quote from EAO claiming just that?

Something seems amiss, perhaps it has something to do with hitting the nail on the head far to often.

What's an Iggy list.
 
CDNBear
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

What's an Iggy list.

A list of ignored peeps. I call it the iggy list.
 
earth_as_one
#20
Norway is taking action against a radical Islamic cleric and is involved in the Afghan war. They also reprinted the infamous Mohammed cartoons. So its not a stretch that a radical Muslim extremist is behind the attacks.

That's not an excuse. It was speculation regarding a possible motive. I never said I agreed with attacking people because they created or published a cartoon. Your claim that I was excusing Muslim extremism is a deliberate misinterpretation of my post.
 
CDNBear
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Colpy's link referenced TheReligionofPeace.

I don't have to prove Coly's source promtes irrational fear of Muslims to claim he is drinking the same flavor of Kool Aid as the Oslo Killer. All I have to do to make that claim is prove the Oslo Killer also took Colpy's referenced link seriously.

Drinking the kool aid, would denote swallowing something wrong. Would you like a definition?

Can you prove the list is incorrect or not?

No...

So you resort to attack, and dismiss the link.

Very weak, but typical of your 'debate' (For lack of a better term and used in the loosest possible sense) style.

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

That's not an excuse. It was speculation regarding a possible motive. I never said I agreed with attacking people because they created or published a cartoon. Your claim that I was excusing Muslim extremism is a deliberate misinterpretation of my post.

Patterns pumpkin, patterns. You have a proven and predictable MO.

Carry on back peddling.
 
earth_as_one
#22
the Oslo killer is an example of what can happen when people take irrational fear mongering from websites like theReligionOfpeace.com seriously.
 
CDNBear
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

the Oslo killer is an example of what can happen when people take irrational fear mongering from websites like theReligionOfpeace.com seriously.

So you are saying the data there is incorrect?

Can you prove that?

What about this post...

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

I've never claimed Muslim extremism isn't a serious threat or that we should ignore it.

So Muslim extremism is a serious threat. Isn't that fear mongering?

Do you ever get tired of me pointing out your hypocrisy, logical inconsistency, double standards?
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

A list of ignored peeps. I call it the iggy list.

How can you be on EAO's Iggy list if you are getting responses to your posts?
 
Colpy
Conservative
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

the Oslo killer is an example of what can happen when people take irrational fear mongering from websites like theReligionOfpeace.com seriously.

Explain to me please how listing the attacks made by Islamists is "irrational fear mongering".
 
CDNBear
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

How can you be on EAO's Iggy list if you are getting responses to your posts?

I have no idea. But EAO has claimed numerous times, even recently, that I'm on his iggy list, because I'm just terrible.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Explain to me please how listing the attacks made by Islamists is "irrational fear mongering".

I'd like to hear the answer to that one too. On top of proof the list you cited is erroneous enough to be considered kool aid material.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I have no idea. But EAo has claimed numerous times, even recently, that I'm on his iggy list, because I'm just terrible.

I'd like to hear the answer to that one too.

If your terrible I must be horrific.

I rather like that.
 
earth_as_one
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Explain to me please how listing the attacks made by Islamists is "irrational fear mongering".

Its about as fair and objective as this website:

Muslims Against Crusades

Its called selective fact propaganda and it can be just as deceptive as bold faced lies.
 
CDNBear
+1
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

If your terrible I must be horrific.

I rather like that.

I don't, I must be getting soft.

Where's that video about me squatting in the bush getting stronger? That always lifts my spirits.

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

Its about as fair and objective as this website:

Muslims Against Crusades

Its called selective fact propaganda and it can be just as deceptive as bold faced lies.

So you can't prove any of the data to be incorrect.

Patterns pumpkin, patterns. You have a proven and predictable MO.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I don't, I must be getting soft.

Where's that video about me squatting in the bush getting stronger? That always lifts my spirits.

Apocalypse Moose - YouTube

 

Similar Threads

207
What do you fear the most?
by In Between Man | Oct 7th, 2011
38
Culture of Fear
by karrie | Aug 9th, 2008
49
The end of fear .
by china | Mar 2nd, 2008
17
The Scent of Fear
by moghrabi | Jan 12th, 2005
no new posts