Fear Inc.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
On July 22, a man planted a bomb in an Oslo government building that killed eight people. A few hours after the explosion, he shot and killed 68 people, mostly teenagers, at a Labor Party youth camp on Norway’s Utoya Island.

By midday, pundits were speculating as to who had perpetrated the greatest massacre in Norwegian history since World War II. Numerous mainstream media outlets, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Atlantic, speculated about an Al Qaeda connection and a “jihadist” motivation behind the attacks. But by the next morning it was clear that the attacker was a 32-year-old, white, blond-haired and blue-eyed Norwegian male. He was not a Muslim, but rather a self-described Christian conservative.

According to his attorney, he claimed responsibility for his self-described “gruesome but necessary” actions. On July 26, he told the court that violence was “necessary” to save Europe from Marxism and “Muslimization.” In his 1,500-page manifesto, which meticulously details his attack methods and aims to inspire others to extremist violence, he vows “brutal and breathtaking operations which will result in casualties” to fight the alleged “ongoing Islamic Colonization of Europe.”

His manifesto contains numerous footnotes and in-text citations to American bloggers and pundits, quoting them as experts on Islam’s “war against the West.” This small group of anti-Muslim organizations and individuals in our nation is obscure to most Americans but wields great influence in shaping the national and international political debate. Their names are heralded within communities that are actively organizing against Islam and targeting Muslims in the United States.
(see link below)

This thread is NOT about the nutcase who slaughtered all those people in Oslo Norway. This forum already has several threads on that topic

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/101009-big-explosion-oslo.html
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/hot-topics/101775-christian-lie.html
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/i...0-2083-european-declaration-independence.html

The Oslo slaughter is a symptom of a problem in western society... irrational fear of Muslim and Islamic culture. You won't hear much about this problem or much else about the Oslo killer in the news because most mainstream editorial slants promote irrational fear of Islam which was his primary motivation.

This attack was one consequence of the actions of a small, tightly networked group of misinformation experts. Collectively they guide an effort that reaches millions of people through effective advocates, media partners and grassroots organizing. This spreading of hate and misinformation primarily starts with five key people and their organizations, which are sustained by funding from a clutch of key foundations. What happened in Norway could have happened here. While this network remains active, it could happen again.

I support free speech within limits. You can't yell "fire" in a theatre. Nor should you be able to promote irrational fear of a group of people and not have some responsibility for the consequences.

I've come to similar conclusions as these people:
Fear, Inc.: The Roots of the Islamophobia Network in America

About the Center for American Progress
The Center for American Progress is dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through progressive ideas and action.

Center for American Progress LogoBuilding on the achievements of progressive pioneers such as Teddy Roosevelt and Martin Luther King, our work addresses 21st-century challenges such as energy, national security, economic growth and opportunity, immigration, education, and health care.

We develop new policy ideas, critique the policy that stems from conservative values, and challenge the media to cover the issues that truly matter and shape the national debate.
About Us

Last edited:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
One deranged individual is not a symptom of Western Society's fear of Muslims. If that was the case there would cases of this cropping up all over the place. This guy in Oslo was a nutbar, who had a manifesto. This deranged individual was no different than Ted Kazynsky or even Timothy McVeigh.

This is a straw dog you are building to try and counter the epidemic of extremism that exists in many Muslim Countries.

I could certainly spend the morning list 100's of incidents involving extreme Islam, but I got stuff to do.

Maybe later.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
On July 22, a man planted a bomb in an Oslo government building that killed eight people. A few hours after the explosion, he shot and killed 68 people, mostly teenagers, at a Labor Party youth camp on Norway’s Utoya Island.

By midday, pundits were speculating as to who had perpetrated the greatest massacre in Norwegian history since World War II. Numerous mainstream media outlets, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Atlantic, speculated about an Al Qaeda connection and a “jihadist” motivation behind the attacks. But by the next morning it was clear that the attacker was a 32-year-old, white, blond-haired and blue-eyed Norwegian male. He was not a Muslim, but rather a self-described Christian conservative.

According to his attorney, he claimed responsibility for his self-described “gruesome but necessary” actions. On July 26, he told the court that violence was “necessary” to save Europe from Marxism and “Muslimization.” In his 1,500-page manifesto, which meticulously details his attack methods and aims to inspire others to extremist violence, he vows “brutal and breathtaking operations which will result in casualties” to fight the alleged “ongoing Islamic Colonization of Europe.”

His manifesto contains numerous footnotes and in-text citations to American bloggers and pundits, quoting them as experts on Islam’s “war against the West.” This small group of anti-Muslim organizations and individuals in our nation is obscure to most Americans but wields great influence in shaping the national and international political debate. Their names are heralded within communities that are actively organizing against Islam and targeting Muslims in the United States.
(see link below)

This thread is NOT about the nutcase who slaughtered all those people in Oslo Norway. This forum already has several threads on that topic

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/i...0-2083-european-declaration-independence.html

The Oslo slaughter is a symptom of a problem in western society... irrational fear of Muslim and Islamic culture. You won't hear much about this problem or much else about the Oslo killer in the news because most mainstream editorial slants promote irrational fear of Islam which was his primary motivation.

This attack was one consequence of the actions of a small, tightly networked group of misinformation experts. Collectively they guide an effort that reaches millions of people through effective advocates, media partners and grassroots organizing. This spreading of hate and misinformation primarily starts with five key people and their organizations, which are sustained by funding from a clutch of key foundations. What happened in Norway could have happened here. While this network remains active, it could happen again.

I support free speech within limits. You can't yell "fire" in a theatre. Nor should you be able to promote irrational fear of a group of people and not have some responsibility for the consequences.

The Center for American Progress is dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through progressive ideas and action.

Center for American Progress LogoBuilding on the achievements of progressive pioneers such as Teddy Roosevelt and Martin Luther King, our work addresses 21st-century challenges such as energy, national security, economic growth and opportunity, immigration, education, and health care.

We develop new policy ideas, critique the policy that stems from conservative values, and challenge the media to cover the issues that truly matter and shape the national debate.
About Us

Okay....let's get something straight.....

The fundamentalist followers of the death cult that worships the pedophile war mongerer Mohammed (fleas be upon him) are at war with everything we value in the west.

They demand our schools become Mosques.

Our vaunted "Human Rights Commissions" are afraid to tackle them when they are exclusive and biased in their dealings with the larger polity.

They demand special consideration in their medieval custom of masking their women.

They demand the suspension of our most valued rights, such as freedom of speech.

They even go on campaigns to eliminate our pets, such as the current Muslim jihad against dogs in Spain.

They are completely incompatible with western society.

They have committed horrific acts of mass murder in the west in Britain, the United States, Russia and Spain.

They have been caught planning mass murder in Canada, Britain, Spain, the USA,. France, Sweden.............just off the top of my head, and that only includes the western countries.

Since 9-11, in ten years, they have committed 17,834 terror attacks..........that is almost five a day.

Islam is inherently hateful of Jews, tolerant of pedophilia, hateful of liberty, disrespectful of women, glorifies war, and demands the utmost adherence from its followers.

It is as if David Koresh had one billion aggressive followers.

Lefty, Islam-loving peace-niks are like lemmings, just not as cute.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
link please RE:"Since 9-11, in ten years, they have committed 17,834 terror attacks..........that is almost five a day."

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

(see link below)

About Us

That's a real nice post. So was this one...

Norway is taking action against a radical Islamic cleric and is involved in the Afghan war. They also reprinted the infamous Mohammed cartoons. So its not a stretch that a radical Muslim extremist is behind the attacks. BTW, I was in Oslo on business just 2 months ago. I was working in the suburbs, but I did stroll around downtown and I recognize the street from the photos.

Mere minutes after it was posted, you were blaming Muslims, and making excuses for them.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I made that post at the time the Oslo nutjob was shooting people and the airwaves were full of people speculating that the attack might be related to Muslim extremism. I've never claimed Muslim extremism isn't a serious threat or that we should ignore it. I have never defended people who attack innocent civilians. In fact, I'm one of the few people here who consistently condemns violence against innocent civilians. Other people here have advocated (half jokingly) killing millions of people and destroying important religious sites:

Maybe I was thinking too small.

Irrational hate and fear regarding Muslims is a problem and as the Oslo massacre proves, Islam extremism isn't the only extremist threat out there..

Extremists who advocate violence should be held responsible for the actions of people listen to them.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
here is my second post in that thread as the facts became more clear:

My bad, this is starting to look more like a Columbine type incident:

Suspect held over island shooting is Norwegian: Official - The Times of India

They captured the suspect in the shootings. The shootings appear related to the bombing.

I said you make excuses for them. Then I proved it....
I'd call this post BS, except delusional is probably a more accurate description. I just reviewed your posts and they consisted of trolling commentary like this:

You think...

Just look at how the bigots jump to conclusions, then justify the attack.

I guess those two posts by OB, answer your silly post.

Like your typical contributions on the US?

Just can't help yourself, can you?

Like yourself, whenever the US might remotely be involved.

I love your double standards.

What does that matter when you relish in a reality you create for yourself?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
here is my second post in that thread as the facts became more clear:
Your point?

What you condemn in the OP, you do yourself.

I'd call this post BS...
Of course you would. To bad I proved it though eh?

Norway is taking action against a radical Islamic cleric and is involved in the Afghan war. They also reprinted the infamous Mohammed cartoons. So its not a stretch that a radical Muslim extremist is behind the attacks.
Yep, making excuses, and blaming Muslims.

... except delusional is probably a more accurate description.
You're right, that would be a more accurate description of your claims.

I just reviewed your posts and they consisted of trolling commentary like this:
"Hey!!! Quick!!! Look over there>>>"

Good call, your hypocrisy was showing.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Why don't you get to proving the data in the link wrong, before you start attacking Colpy?

Colpy's link referenced TheReligionofPeace.

I don't have to prove Coly's source promtes irrational fear of Muslims to claim he is drinking the same flavor of Kool Aid as the Oslo Killer. All I have to do to make that claim is prove the Oslo Killer also took Colpy's referenced link seriously.

Proof:

The political blogs Breivik read included Jihad Watch, The Brussels Journal, TheReligionofPeace and Atlas Shrugs, each of which advocates a harsh, polemicist view of Muslims. An example from TheReligionofPeace, "we see no use in pretending that Islam is just another religion ... . In fact, Islam is dreadfully unique."
Breivik frequented both American and European websites. Jihad Watch and Atlas Shrugs are run respectively by Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller, both vocal opponents of the Ground Zero Islamic Center and co-authors of "The Post-American Presidency: The Obama Administration's War on America."
Jihad Watch has had funding from David Horowitz’s Freedom Center via Joyce Chernick, the wife of software millionaire Aubrey Chernick, according to Politico. It has also received money from the Milwaukee-based conservative Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation.
TheReligionofPeace is registered in Georgia, U.S., and run by a man who calls himself Glen Reinsford.
Anders Behring Breivik's scary internet world | Anti-Islam Blogs | GlobalPost

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Norway is taking action against a radical Islamic cleric and is involved in the Afghan war. They also reprinted the infamous Mohammed cartoons. So its not a stretch that a radical Muslim extremist is behind the attacks.

That's not an excuse. It was speculation regarding a possible motive. I never said I agreed with attacking people because they created or published a cartoon. Your claim that I was excusing Muslim extremism is a deliberate misinterpretation of my post.