The Beer Thread


Toro
#1
There have been a few threads where we were talking about one subject and wound up talking about beer - which is actually a good thing if you think about it - so we might as well have a beer discussion thread. I take up the converstation left off here

http://www.canadiancontent.net/forum...?p=86228#86228

Part of the reason why American mass-produced beer isn't as good as Canadian mass-produced beer is because some of the big American brewers substitute rice instead of barley for part of their recipes, which of course is blasphemy. I don't believe any of the Canadians do that.

The big brewers have developed processes to speed the aging of beer. Properly, it takes several months for beer to age but the mass-producing brewers do it quicker. Also, I was once told that the mass-produced brewers inject carbination into the beer during this process, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Because of all this, I don't put much stock in the whole national beer thing. I like Blue better than a Bud, but I also like a Teen burger better than a Big Mac. However, I'd rather eat a Filet Mignon than either hamburger. Of course, one's preference for a Blue over a Shaftsbury Cream Ale is always a personal one and completely subjective.

I like Sleeman's Said1, but I'm always a little leery about beer in a clear bottle, even if its a super cool bottle like Sleeman's. There's a brewery south of Toronto called Creemore Springs which I think makes a fantastic product if you haven't tried it yet. When they first opened over a decade ago, I went out to the brewery in Creemore. It was on a street corner in either a big old house or small store property. Cool.

BTW the beer here sucks in Florida. I once called the Big Rock brewery to see if I could get it shipped down here, but it would have cost me something like $60 for a case.
 
I think not
#2
RateBeer Top 100 (external - login to view)

The top ten is as follows:

1. AleSmith Brewing Company San Diego California U.S.
2. Three Floyds Brewing Company Munster Indiana U.S.
3. Stone Brewing Co. San Marcos California U.S.
4. Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus Westvleteren Belgium
5. Hair of the Dog Brewing Company, Inc. Portland Oregon U.S.
6. De Dolle Brouwers Diksmuide Belgium
7. Kalamazoo Brewing Company Kalamazoo Michigan U.S.
8. Pizza Port (Solana Beach) Solana Beach California U.S.
9. Dogfish Head Brewery Milton Delaware U.S.
10. Fuller, Smith & Turner London England

BEST BEERS IN THE WORLD NAMED BY WORLDWIDE BEER ENTHUSIASTS (external - login to view)
 
Said1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

RateBeer Top 50 (external - login to view)

The top ten is as follows:

1. AleSmith Brewing Company San Diego California U.S.
2. Three Floyds Brewing Company Munster Indiana U.S.
3. Stone Brewing Co. San Marcos California U.S.
4. Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus Westvleteren Belgium
5. Hair of the Dog Brewing Company, Inc. Portland Oregon U.S.
6. De Dolle Brouwers Diksmuide Belgium
7. Kalamazoo Brewing Company Kalamazoo Michigan U.S.
8. Pizza Port (Solana Beach) Solana Beach California U.S.
9. Dogfish Head Brewery Milton Delaware U.S.
10. Fuller, Smith & Turner London England

I didn't see Sleemans ANYWHERE on that list. Grrrrrrrr!
 
I think not
#4
Oh its there, just a very little lower, I think 13.
 
Said1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

Oh its there, just a very little lower, I think 13.

I looked agian, I still didn't see it.
 
I think not
#6
I fixed the link and added another one. Check both links.
 
Andem
#7
I can't say I agree with that list

What I can say, is that some of my most common brands are a little mixed and impossible to put in order, but here goes.

- Heineken
- Grolsch
- Boreal Rousse (Local Quebec Beer)
- Beck's
- Labatt Blue
- Creemore (Local Ontarian Microbrewer)
- Sleeman
- Corona


I've never really been able to stomach Budweiser or Bug light, but Coors is OKAY but eww.
 
Said1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

I fixed the link and added another one. Check both links.

21 in the world, #2 in Canada (didn't check the other links).
Their cream ale ROCKS!
 
no1important
#9
Well online voting like that is not very accurate. Kinda funny how 7 of top 10 are American, especially strange since America is not known for its beer. Its tastless and weak.

So many beer surveys out there, what one do you believe?
 
I think not
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

Well online voting like that is not very accurate. Kinda funny how 7 of top 10 are American, especially strange since America is not known for its beer. Its tastless and weak.

So many beer surveys out there, what one do you believe?

RateBeer is widely recognized as the most accurate and *most-visited source for beer information. RateBeer is an independent world site for craft beer enthusiasts and is dedicated to serving the entire craft beer community through beer education, promotion and outreach.

RateBeer was founded in May 2000 by Bill Buchanan as a forum for beer lovers to come together and share their opinions of beer and breweries. Established and maintained by dedicated volunteers, RateBeer has become the premier resource for consumer-driven beer ratings, features on beer culture and industry events, weekly beer-related editorials, and an internationally recognized, semi-annual RateBeer Best competition. The community now has thousands of members from more than 60 countries who have rated tens of thousands of beers from around the world. Our mission is to provide independent, unbiased, consumer-driven information about beer and breweries and to enhance the image and worldwide appreciation of beer.




MENTIONING RATEBEER

RateBeer has been mentioned in hundreds of publications in all forms of media, from national newspapers in Canada and Scotland to Japanese TV to magazines and web sites.

Chicago Tribune
The Los Angeles Times
Philadelphia Daily News
San Diego Metropolitan
San Diego Union-Tribune
Maclean's
NHK Television Japan
The Daily Camera (Boulder, CO)
Long Island Press
Denver Business Journal
Editora Globo (Brazil)
Detroit Free Press
Dallas Star*Telegram
Men's Journal (100 Best Web sites 2004)
E Magazine
Ålands Tidnings-Tryckeri (Finland)
Edinburgh Evening News
The Scotsman
Sunday Herald (Scotland)
Canada Newswire
Toronto Now
The National Post (Canada)
University of Toronto Bulletin
Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh)
Democrat & Chronicle (Rochester)
95.9 The Buzz, Corey & Jay Show
CitySearch Denver
Modern Brewing Age
Birmingham Brewmasters
Beer, Wine & Spirits
John's Grocery
St. Veronus Cafe
Bon Vivant Market
Cafe Abseits, Bamberg
Gourmet Resources
Food OZ.com
GourmetSleuth
Road Food.com
RealBeer.com
ePinions.com
Bamberg Brew Guide
All About Beer (web)
Fark.com
Slashdot
BigTome.com
iCalShare.com
Belgium.com
Student.com
The Man Room
Shop Like A Man
Brew Review
Zymurgy
Pro Brewer
Homebrew Digest
HomeBrew.com
PubCrawler
Beer Festivals
Beer History.com
Cream City Suds
Texan Brew
Beer South Buzz
The Bar Towel
Kandu (DK)
Caffeinated Geek
Yeah But Is It Art?
The Aimee Mann Official Web Site
Camping World.com
Beer Labels.com
Beer Basics.com
eGullet.com
Beer Can Bob
The Beer Yard
Beer Traveller
Oh My Head
Beer Manifesto
Bov's Beer Links
Brews News 'n' Reviews
alt.beer
Bier Forum (DE)
Objectieve Bierproevers (BE)
Victory Brewing
Geary Brewing
Plzensky Prazdroj (Czech Rep)
Cedar Brewing
Alesmith Brewing
Christoffel Bier (NL)
Stone Brewing
Denison's Brewing(CA)
Avery Brewing
New Belgium Brewing
Dogfish Head Brewing
Zymurgy
and many more...
 
Andem
#11
Well, since their site is in English and the United States is probably the highest percentage of English-speaking Internet users, I have to say that's a huge bias in it's self.

How can an American rate a worldwide beer when even the imports in the US are watered down? Funny that.
 
I think not
#12
Then show a site that dispells what I posted why don't ya? And I really can care less since I don't drink beer.

Quote: Originally Posted by Andem

How can an American rate a worldwide beer when even the imports in the US are watered down? Funny that.

The highest alcohol content from an American brewery is 18%. I don't think that is watered down.
 
Bluerocks
#13
Cool thread

Any Labatts product is pretty good. I am a blue man myself. Although I have tried other Canadian beers which were very good also.

Sleemans
Moosehead
Alexander Keiths
 
GreenGreta
#14
I can drink American beer for six months and have only a headache to show for it.

How can anyone vote for American beer? What a joke. Even our "value" beer is better than any of theirs.
 
I think not
#15
So Jay whats your favorite beer? We all know you drink plenty :P
 
Jay
#16
I used to drink Molson Export, but it got too expensive...like $32.00 or so for a 24.

So I started to drink Black Label...cheaper, have to drink it cold though…

I then discovered Canadian Club 12 year old Whiskey, lost my taste for beer, meaning I don't buy it much anymore. I'll still drink it though, especially when it’s free!!

Some day I will have to show you how to drink like a Canadian.

Fortunately or unfortunately I can drink almost any one under the table and still be able to walk around…
 
I think not
#17
Sure there, I noticed them cheeks of yours started turning rosy red :P
 
Jay
#18
I didn't say I wouldn't turn colour....
 
I think not
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

I didn't say I wouldn't turn colour....

Oh you turned plenty of colors alright. From fright white thinking I was going to choke you with the car seat belt to beer rosy red
 
Jay
#20
It's not everyday someone offers to kill me.... :P

As for the beer colour...it was hot out that day if I remember correctly....
 
galianomama
#21
best beers in canada and the world as far as i am concerned are those brewed in the small brew pubs ....the first one in canada was opened here in victoria. if you want a half decent beer that is properly aged and chilled to perfection, or served warm, then go to spinnakers. we also have swans brewery which is ideal, plus hugos, and the canoe club which has an incredible pale ale.....i wouldn't touch any large corporation beer for nada.
 
I think not
#22
Mrmom doesn't appear to be a beer drinker, he hasn't participated in the thread
 
mrmom2
#23
I'm not a beer drinker ITN I'm a beer lush :P Whisky too break out the crown royal and watch mom go over the edge These days though I only like to drink like that whem my kids are out for the night About the only beer I don't like is that dark stuff YUCK other than that I drink it all.Oh yea lets not forget Cuervo gold my fave with beer no lemon involed
 
I think not
#24
Well you know mrmom, they have this beer museum in New York, right next to the upscale "red light" district. Feel like flying? :P
 
mrmom2
#25
Hmmmm a beer museum I wonder if I could get that one bye the wife I Think Not
 
SECONDGEN
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Toro

There have been a few threads where we were talking about one subject and wound up talking about beer - which is actually a good thing if you think about it - so we might as well have a beer discussion thread. I take up the converstation left off here
http://www.canadiancontent.net/forum...?p=86228#86228
Part of the reason why American mass-produced beer isn't as good as Canadian mass-produced beer is because some of the big American brewers substitute rice instead of barley for part of their recipes, which of course is blasphemy. I don't believe any of the Canadians do that.
The big brewers have developed processes to speed the aging of beer. Properly, it takes several months for beer to age but the mass-producing brewers do it quicker. Also, I was once told that the mass-produced brewers inject carbination into the beer during this process, but I don't know if that's true or not.
Because of all this, I don't put much stock in the whole national beer thing. I like Blue better than a Bud, but I also like a Teen burger better than a Big Mac. However, I'd rather eat a Filet Mignon than either hamburger. Of course, one's preference for a Blue over a Shaftsbury Cream Ale is always a personal one and completely subjective.

Quote has been trimmed

HAHAHAHAHA my last trip to Vancouver Island I brough home with me.... hemp beer .... true story. ya gotta love the independant brewing companies. Just south of the border here they make a mean huckleberry beer. I am a huge fan of unique and locally brewed beers.
 
gopher
+1
#27  Top Rated Post
World's # 1 beer?

England's Samuel Smith's Tadcaster.

Simply the BEST!
 
SECONDGEN
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher

World's # 1 beer?

England's Samuel Smith's Tadcaster.

Simply the BEST!

To Quote Homer Simpson... "beeer"
 
gopher
+1
#29
Is that an endorsement (sorry, I don't watch that show)?
 
SECONDGEN
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher

Is that an endorsement (sorry, I don't watch that show)?

Ah no never endorse that show ahahaha just seems appropriate for the topic. He gives a big sigh when saying it. Kind of sums up how some of us feel about beer.
 

Similar Threads

5
$400 Beer
by karrie | Jan 30th, 2008
0
£85 for a sandwich and £100 for a beer.
by Blackleaf | May 14th, 2006
107
It's about Beer....
by Ten Packs | Feb 10th, 2005
2
The Beer Review Thread
by Reverend Blair | Jan 15th, 2005
no new posts