Polar bears turn cannibalistic as climate change depletes arctic food supply

Niflmir
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

"Mark Twain"

That quote is in regards to morality and in particular, patriotism; it is a hint towards my personal beliefs on ethics. The funny thing about reality, is that it does not care whether you believe it or not: if you jump off a cliff, gravity will pull you down. So you better have a 'chute ready. So, no, not everybody gets to decide what is real and what is not.

This is exactly why I brought up the cargo cult. These were people whose economies flourished when planes were flying into their nations during the second world war. What they saw was: planes come and we flourish. After the second war, when flights stopped arriving, the cults built straw replicas of planes and airports, hoping to attract the same sort of economy. Of course it failed.

The cargo cults are an embodiment of a shallow, non-empirical understanding of how things work. The same accusation is being levied against the question of whether polar bear cannibalism is on the rise.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

That quote is in regards to morality and in particular, patriotism; it is a hint towards my personal beliefs on ethics. .

IT is?????

Niflmir

IT is?????

Yes, the usage of the word patriotism should give it away. I know that the words "right" and "wrong" are ambiguous, especially outside of any context. The quote in question comes from a speech by Twain when the US was about to enter war. You can find the expanded text here: web.mit.edu/norvin/www/somethingelse/twain.html (external - login to view). Twain was not so vain as to imply that the truth of physical reality is democratically chosen.

DaSleeper
+1

Yes, the usage of the word patriotism should give it away. I know that the words "right" and "wrong" are ambiguous, especially outside of any context. The quote in question comes from a speech by Twain when the US was about to enter war. You can find the expanded text here: web.mit.edu/norvin/www/somethingelse/twain.html (external - login to view). Twain was not so vain as to imply that the truth of physical reality is democratically chosen.

I was refering to his quote on statistics....

The sacasm is lost when you have to explain it

Tonington

Not so easy to know what you're referring to when you just type out someone's name. You could have been referring to another quote of his like "Faith is beleiving what you know ain't so".

DaSleeper
Also a good way to illustrate the OP jumping to conclusions based on on interpretation of data coloured by belief......
There's method in my madness sometimes...

Cannuck

This is exactly why I brought up the cargo cult. These were people whose economies flourished when planes were flying into their nations during the second world war. What they saw was: planes come and we flourish. After the second war, when flights stopped arriving, the cults built straw replicas of planes and airports, hoping to attract the same sort of economy.

Makes sense to me, that's why I'm a Pastafarian. As has been proven, global warming is a direct effect of the shrinking pirate population. All this other talk, as to the reasons for global warming, is nothing more than deflection.

Last edited by Cannuck; Jan 15th, 2012 at 11:57 AM..

Niflmir
+2

Often I just ignore sarcasm in an attempt to keep discussions serious.

Statistics are pretty onerous though. There are lots of counter intuitive things about them. Then there are the oft repeated mantras that nobody seems to apply properly: "Regression to the mean," "Correlation doesn't imply causation," etc.

In regards to regression to the mean, some journalists were astounded that the children of highly educated people were less likely than the general population to be highly educated. I find this quite unsurprising.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Yes well a Yeti isn't a real animal, there's no evidence the Yeti even exists until someone actually produces evidence. Cannibalism does exist. Increased prevalence is a real possibility..

Do you have proof that there are no Yeti's

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

I've seen them, yes sir I have.

Interesting and fun-fact: The funny thing about the Yeti - they only show themselves when you have peyote....

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
I personally would like to see some graphs and such proving that Yeti does not exist.

captain morgan
+1
Well I can't help ya there, at least until there's a graph that proves that peyote doesn't exist

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Well I can't help ya there, at least until there's a graph that proves that peyote doesn't exist

Well that settles it. Anyone who challenges the Yeti theory must first prove that it does not exist.

Tonington

No proof that they don't exist. As I said nobody has produced evidence that they do exist though. Do you think this is similar to cannibalism? lol

If you think comparing to a yeti eating your cat is a good analogy, then I don't think you can be helped with your deficit of understanding burdens of proof.

lone wolf
+1
Yeti.... An immigrant samsquanch (Thanks Bubbles)

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

No proof that they don't exist. As I said nobody has produced evidence that they do exist though. Do you think this is similar to cannibalism? lol

If you think comparing to a yeti eating your cat is a good analogy, then I don't think you can be helped with your deficit of understanding burdens of proof.

That's debatable.

L Gilbert

Discussions with Kakato end up reminding me of Feynman's description of the cargo cult. They just couldn't see past the form of things.

lol I forgot all about that.

The quote was used in a specific context. You didn't specify anything.

Also a good way to illustrate the OP jumping to conclusions based on on interpretation of data coloured by belief......

Yep. But the hint in the OP was that the PHOTOJOURNALIST (who researches with cameras) made the comment, not any RESEARCHER using a variety of methods for acquiring info.
Quote:

There's method in my madness sometimes...

Ain't we all got that? lol

lol No evidence one way or the other, so Yetis are an unknown. At one time humans didn't know there were planets because we had no way of knowing.

I personally would like to see some graphs and such proving that Yeti does not exist.

lol Develop some way of building a Yeti detector that can survey an entire planet for Yetis and then scan Earth. lol

That's debatable.

yetis exist because footprints exist?
I know unicorns exist:

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/uS9DFs*0fSTSPX4qAVqXAg46IqkTxW0Ud1m-rg26lVI*DFf6Sb4-J9xYp2OaGSodo*5IsrQt7eOgI6kgA7B7Zw__/RealUnicorns_5_theourworld_com.jpg[/IMG]
Last edited by L Gilbert; Jan 16th, 2012 at 03:51 AM..