WE really need to get rid of this guy

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Nobody is going to vote the Trudeau government down.

#gutlesspoliticians
At this point, I agree. Who'd want to inherit this cesspool? The whole thing is beyond ugly. It's so rotten as to be almost untouchable. Who could have pictured this, to this extent, just five years ago?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Okay, WE charity, COVID-19 premiums, every government is crooked.. I think the Conservatives are just pissed off because they don't have their hands in the cookie jar.

They are all the same, crooked and liars.. most lawyers.. explains a lot.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Good posts and discussion. Thanking those responsible for taking the time.

As rotten as the WE scandal is, it is the tip of the iceberg. Can be a beautiful thing to take a few months off and let it all cool down. People forget.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The Liberals learned nothing from sitting in purgatory for over a decade.
Seriously, what would it take to unseat Trudeaubama before the next general election?

A series of by-elections? Breaking his coalition?

What do you see as the most realistic path, say, if you were a Conservative strategist?

I could look it up myself, but the numbers wouldn't give me the mood of the country. I trust your ability to assess that strategically and emotionally neutrally.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Seriously, what would it take to unseat Trudeaubama before the next general election?
A series of by-elections? Breaking his coalition?
What do you see as the most realistic path, say, if you were a Conservative strategist?
I could look it up myself, but the numbers wouldn't give me the mood of the country. I trust your ability to assess that strategically and emotionally neutrally.

Gotta target the 40+ seats in the GTA, they are the key to every election in Canada

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Hmm. . . can you even do that? Prosecute a sitting PM? Serious question.

Parliamentary immunity
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a similar mechanism in Westminster systems, see Parliamentary privilege.
Parliamentary immunity, also known as legislative immunity, is a system in which members of the parliament or legislature are granted partial immunity from prosecution. Before prosecuting, it is necessary that the immunity be removed, usually by a superior court of justice or by the parliament itself. This reduces the possibility of pressing a member of the parliament to change his or her vote by fear of prosecution.....More

Can a member of the public bring a prosecution against the prime minister?

This article is more than 11 years old

Corinna Ferguson

Although there has always been a right to bring private prosecutions for breaches of the criminal law – indeed before 1879 there was no public prosecutor so it was the only way that anyone came before the criminal courts – it is a rarely-used procedure. There are a number of reasons for this. First, the police and prosecuting authorities have a duty to investigate and prosecute breaches of the criminal law, and they should only refuse to do so if they consider there is insufficient evidence or it is not in the public interest to prosecute. Second, private prosecutions are expensive to bring and entail a risk of being ordered to pay the defendant's costs. Third, it will often be difficult for a private individual to gather sufficient evidence t o meet the high standards of proof which apply in criminal cases. Finally, the Crown Prosecution Service has the power to take over any private prosecution and thereafter to continue or discontinue it.

The first port of call for anyone who believes that a crime has been committed is to refer the matter to the police and/or the director of public prosecutions. This is what Mark Thomas was intending to do after Gordon Brown failed to obtain authorisation for what Thomas thought might amount to a "demonstration" in Parliament Square. However the question of whether all of the elements of an offence are present, or whether it is the public interest to prosecute may be highly contentious, and it is extremely difficult to challenge a decision of the DPP not to prosecute. So a private prosecution may be the only option for someone determined to see the matter in court and willing to take the financial risk.

So, in principle, it is possible for a member of the public to prosecute a public figure for an offence under SOCPA or indeed for fraud. However, even assuming that the difficulties outlined above can be overcome there are two further practical problems. First, a private prosecutor does not have any of the powers of the police to seize evidence or question suspects, and he or she has no right of access to statements, evidence, or other documents held by the CPS. Putting together sufficient evidence to amount to a "case to answer" on the basis of publicly available material will often be tricky. Second, the court may make an order that a party pay costs that have been incurred as a result of an unnecessary or improper act or omission. If it considers that the prosecution was completely misconceived and the defendant incurred costs as a result then there may be a substantial bill to pay.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Probably hoid is right and yes it can be done. To make it happen is another story. Best would be some harassment charges since by his own rules he would be obligated to step down as PM.
Yeah, I think we've seen that "his own rules" don't mean any more to him than our problem child's rules mean to him.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Gotta target the 40+ seats in the GTA, they are the key to every election in Canada

Your forgetting about the 28 seats total in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Can you blame the west for having had enough. The election is over before western votes are even counted.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
I see on the news that WE is bailing on Canada.......I guess their use for Justin and family is over.

Assume they will relocate to central Australia. Hard to find high on the priority list. I can't believe the empire these guys built and milked. None of it with any substance.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I see on the news that WE is bailing on Canada.......I guess their use for Justin and family is over.

WE Charity closing Canadian operations, Kielburger brothers leaving

OTTAWA — WE Charity says it is closing its Canadian operations, blaming COVID-19 and the political fallout from the Liberal government's plan to have it run a multimillion-dollar student-volunteer program for leaving it in financial ruin.

Craig and Marc Kielburger, who are also planning to step down from the organization they co-founded, released an open letter Wednesday explaining the move.

"COVID-19 disrupted every aspect of our work," the brothers wrote in the letter. "The fallout from the Canada Student Service Grant has placed us as a charity in the middle of political battles and misinformation that we are ill-equipped to fight.

"The financial math for the charity's future is clear."

The Toronto-based youth organization shared the news with its Canadian-based staff on Wednesday.

WE's operations in Britain and the U.S will not be immediately affected. Neither will its for-profit affiliate, ME to WE, which makes money through leadership courses, retail sales and travel programs.

The move represents a stunning fall for the charity, which the Kielburgers first created in 1995 as a way for youth in Canada to help less-fortunate kids around the world.

Few could have foreseen the degree to which the government's spring decision to have WE administer the now-defunct student grant program would hurt both the Liberals and the charity.

The deal would have seen WE paid up to $43.5 million to run the program. The federal government had budgeted $912 million for the program, which was designed to cover up to $5,000 in education costs for students who volunteered during the COVID-19 pandemic. The sole-sourced contract with WE pegged the cost at $543 million and stipulated the organization would not make money on the deal.

News of the deal prompted immediate questions about Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's ties to WE. The controversy has since expanded to include former finance minister Bill Morneau. Both face investigations by the federal ethics watchdog into whether they violated the Conflict of Interest Act. Both have apologized for not recusing themselves from the decision to award WE the contract.

A spokesman for Trudeau declined to comment on the news Wednesday. A spokeswoman for Youth Minister Bardish Chagger, who was responsible for the program, also declined comment......More

They said they will leave WE USA and UK open for now as well as ME to WE Canada

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Assume they will relocate to central Australia. Hard to find high on the priority list. I can't believe the empire these guys built and milked. None of it with any substance.
I opened up an agency somewhere down the line
To hire Aboriginals to work the opal mines
But I attached their wages and took a whopping cut
Whisked away their workman's comp and pauperized the lot

-- Warren Zevon, "Mr. Bad Example"