The Cathedral of Notre Dame is Burning

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Notre Dame has something of a dark past: It's where that evil tyrant Napoleon was crowned emperor on Sunday 2nd December 1804.

The first photo of the cathedral was taken in 1838:

The evil tyrant Napolean restored Notre Dame. It was in worse shape then than it is now.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The evil tyrant Napolean restored Notre Dame. It was in worse shape then than it is now.
The French Revolution was particularly tough on institutions like that. I wouldn't doubt that some of the revolutionarys would have contemplated burning it down in 1790.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's the old thought exercise. You have a sailing ship. Over time, you replace various boards, sails, and other parts. Eventually you've replaced the entire thing. Is it still the ship you bought or built?

I suppose the same question might apply to people, cells die and are replaced. Are we the same person?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The Public Prosecutor in France is desperately trying to characterize the ND blaze as workplace accident rather than arson, presumably to maintain peace in the community of Paris.

This despite protestations from the work crews that they used intensive safety precautions, including disconnecting all electricity to the site, when they left for the evening. AND despite the fact that this happened very quickly after the last tourists left the building. AND most importantly after a swath of Church arsons in France, including at the Church of Saint-Sulpice which caused 100's of millions in damage.

I think the most likely cause of this was arson by a very sophisticated arsonist or group of arsonists. That means all of France's Cathedrals and Churches are under imminent threat and the French Police have to put some priority on protecting them and apprehending the culprits.

https://www.rt.com/news/456629-french-catholic-churches-attacks/

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Anglicans are Catholic lite. They just removed 13 books from the original but the priesthood still dress the same and do the same ceremonies with all the same pomp and circumstance. The only reason they exist is because the Pope wouldn't let Henry the 8th divorce his wives. Some protest!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This tree was a hundred years old when Notre Dame was built. Others like it, part of ecosystems thousands of years older than Paris or any city in Europe, are cut down every day.
These ecosystems are part of cultures as rich as any religion, and the foundations of the world views and ways of life of dozens of First Nations.
So yes, the cathedral fire is a shame, but we wilfully destroy similar wonders for profit on the regular, and we need to reflect on that.

There were trees near here that were up to 3000 years old but they were too big to put on a truck so they cut them down and burned them. Nobody cares about anything created buy their god but if something is created by man, it is cried over. Makes no sense to me.

"God Made forests, man made churches... who you going to trust?"

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Anglicans are Catholic lite. They just removed 13 books from the original but the priesthood still dress the same and do the same ceremonies with all the same pomp and circumstance. The only reason they exist is because the Pope wouldn't let Henry the 8th divorce his wives. Some protest!
Their clergy marry.

That makes the world of difference on multiple levels.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I don't know. They still buggered children in the residential schools. I don't think their pedophilia rates are any less than the Catholics.
well, they're not great historically but my guess is that the buggery rate of the Anglican clergy these days hovers near zero whereas the buggery rate of the Catholic clergy is breaking new records every year.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It's the old thought exercise. You have a sailing ship. Over time, you replace various boards, sails, and other parts. Eventually you've replaced the entire thing. Is it still the ship you bought or built?
I see that you've owned a hole-in-the-wster-into-which-you-pour-money.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The Public Prosecutor in France is desperately trying to characterize the ND blaze as workplace accident rather than arson, presumably to maintain peace in the community of Paris.
This despite protestations from the work crews that they used intensive safety precautions, including disconnecting all electricity to the site, when they left for the evening. AND despite the fact that this happened very quickly after the last tourists left the building. AND most importantly after a swath of Church arsons in France, including at the Church of Saint-Sulpice which caused 100's of millions in damage.
I think the most likely cause of this was arson by a very sophisticated arsonist or group of arsonists. That means all of France's Cathedrals and Churches are under imminent threat and the French Police have to put some priority on protecting them and apprehending the culprits.
And do you have a shred of evidence beyond your bigoted hatred?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
well, they're not great historically but my guess is that the buggery rate of the Anglican clergy these days hovers near zero whereas the buggery rate of the Catholic clergy is breaking new records every year.
I hold up Blackhead as an example of where the Anglican church has screwed up big time. That boy is truly buggered - emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015

They say it may have been kids that started the Al aqsa mosque fire...
;)
Go figure...You can't turn off Kiddish lighnin' !