The Cathedral of Notre Dame is Burning

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
This tree was a hundred years old when Notre Dame was built. Others like it, part of ecosystems thousands of years older than Paris or any city in Europe, are cut down every day.
These ecosystems are part of cultures as rich as any religion, and the foundations of the world views and ways of life of dozens of First Nations.
So yes, the cathedral fire is a shame, but we wilfully destroy similar wonders for profit on the regular, and we need to reflect on that.

There were trees near here that were up to 3000 years old but they were too big to put on a truck so they cut them down and burned them. Nobody cares about anything created buy their god but if something is created by man, it is cried over. Makes no sense to me.

"God Made forests, man made churches... who you going to trust?"

St. Mary's in Chilliwack has these beautiful 40 ft. redwood beams holding up its open wood frame roof. Very impressive use of these harvested trees. Don't worry Cliffy. Maybe your tree was used to build a Church. I'm sure its in tree heaven anyway.

The oldest oak in England, the Bowthorpe is something like 1000 years old. It's half dead and shored up with cement and bracing. It looks like hell but they haven't got the heart to put it out of its misery. Tree have a lifespan. I'm not for removing all old growth forest but there comes a time when a tree goes from a 'Royal Oak' to an eyesore.

A major factor is Canada's economy is based on harvesting forests and replacing old growth with new. But tree huggers, or, tree worshippers don't get the logic.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Anyway, . . . . the Pope sent condolences and no cash.

In the donation department I 'wonder' how the donations are going when both disasters are put side by side. An old Church's roof, $550M and climbing, old Church blown up and 300 'brown Christians killed'. Yet to have a site for donations

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
St. Mary's in Chilliwack has these beautiful 40 ft. redwood beams holding up its open wood frame roof. Very impressive use of these harvested trees. Don't worry Cliffy. Maybe your tree was used to build a Church. I'm sure its in tree heaven anyway.

The oldest oak in England, the Bowthorpe is something like 1000 years old. It's half dead and shored up with cement and bracing. It looks like hell but they haven't got the heart to put it out of its misery. Tree have a lifespan. I'm not for removing all old growth forest but there comes a time when a tree goes from a 'Royal Oak' to an eyesore.

A major factor is Canada's economy is based on harvesting forests and replacing old growth with new. But tree huggers, or, tree worshippers don't get the logic.
There is no logic in destroying your environment. Earth is our home, there is no planet B, and tree farms are not forests. I lived most of my life in the forest and what they call modern logging is unsustainable and stupid. I know how forest work and what we have replaced them with will not do the job of a forest.
And besides: God made forests, man made churches, who you going to trust?
Churches are monuments to the human ego.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The healthiest forests are the ones that are properly managed and harvested

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
There is no logic in destroying your environment. Earth is our home, there is no planet B, and tree farms are not forests. I lived most of my life in the forest and what they call modern logging is unsustainable and stupid. I know how forest work and what we have replaced them with will not do the job of a forest.

What is your house/trailer/cabin/shanty framed with Cliffy?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What is your house/trailer/cabin/shanty framed with Cliffy?
Concrete and wood.

Most of the trees being cut today are shipped overseas raw and almost all of our forest industry is owned by Americans. Most of our mills are shut down. Since I came to BC in '72, there is less than 30% of the people working in the industry as most jobs were replaced by machines. When I lived near Quesnel, I could go to the mills and buy slings of 2X reject for $40, now I go to the lumber yards and they are selling the same crap for #1 and 2s for $100s. It is almost impossible to build a straight wall anymore because all the studs are bent and twisted. Japan, China and Yankeeland buy up all the good stuff as raw logs.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Maybe in BC? Sawed lumber is sent from here, I agree we get the B grade, regardless trees need to be cut for lumber, plastic and steel studs are not feasible yet.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Maybe in BC? Sawed lumber is sent from here, I agree we get the B grade, regardless trees need to be cut for lumber, plastic and steel studs are not feasible yet.
If we only cut trees for our own use and stop exporting, our forests might have a chance to recover. As it is we are cutting pecker poles cuz that is all that is left. There is less than 1% old growth left. That is why we have such crappy wood.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC

I grew up in the boreal forest in Northern Ontario. Worked in harvesting and in replanting before relocating south. I just contest your opinion that proper forest management might not improve on nature. I know that's heresy in the radical environmental community who view humans as a far more virulent pestilence to forests and the planet than any Spruce Beetle or Dutch Elm Disease.

And God made forests and Man (even you Cliffy). He also made Man as the pinnacle of Creation and a steward of natural world. So i'd suggest that would be done better with advice and consent of God. Hence the churches.

That promises to produce a far more constructive and sustainable solution than the reduction of the human population to something under a billion that the Enviro-pagans propose with their hustles and frauds.. like AGW. The surest way to foment and collapse of the biosphere is to remove humans from the equation.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Church or not, it is history. It can probably be repaired but it will never be the same.
And when this was built what exactly was in BC? What of that is still standing today?
800 years from now people will see the repairs made and still marvel at the beauty and devotion.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I grew up in the boreal forest in Northern Ontario. Worked in harvesting and in replanting before relocating south. I just contest your opinion that proper forest management might not improve on nature. I know that's heresy in the radical environmental community who view humans as a far more virulent pestilence to forests and the planet than any Spruce Beetle or Dutch Elm Disease.
And God made forests and Man (even you Cliffy). He also made Man as the pinnacle of Creation and a steward of natural world. So i'd suggest that would be done better with advice and consent of God. Hence the churches.
That promises to produce a far more constructive and sustainable solution than the reduction of the human population to something under a billion that the Enviro-pagans propose with their hustles and frauds.. like AGW. The surest way to foment and collapse of the biosphere is to remove humans from the equation.
Cliff doesn't accept the fact that trees are just as cutthroat in getting ahead, being the dominant tree by consuming the most resources all to leave a hoard behind for their superior offspring.

No different than a human.

There are no dominant trees in a tree farm. They are all equal from birth to death.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
800 years from now people will see the repairs made and still marvel at the beauty and devotion.
In line with the value of historical sites, the UK and the rest of the EU Royals should bring all 'their world places' back up to 21st century building codes or demolish them.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Cliff doesn't accept the fact that trees are just as cutthroat in getting ahead, being the dominant tree by consuming the most resources all to leave a hoard behind for their superior offspring.
No different than a human.
There are no dominant trees in a tree farm. They are all equal from birth to death.

And according to Climate change scientists they contribute to Carbon pollution not a Carbon sink, so may as well cut it all down and seed it to grass to aid in the fight against Climate Change. /s