2012 broke sea level, sea ice records, climate report shows

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Interesting but $ have dic kall to do with sea levels. Personally, I think there's nothing we can do now to stop the planet from warming further. But we can cut back on pollution. The carbon credit thing is a political sol'n to global warming; IE, crap.
And some doubters seem to be saying that because carbon credit is crap, that means global warming itself is crap. Fec kin funny.

Yes the climate is changing... as it has for billions of years.

Carbon credit and the hope of wealth transfer is the only thing that is driving this. Well that and unsubstantiated fear.

Cut back on pollution... absolutely.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Carbon credit and the hope of wealth transfer is the only thing that is driving this. Well that and unsubstantiated fear.

"The ethic of conservation is the explicit abnegation of man's dominion over the Earth. The lower species are here for our use. God said so: Go forth, be fruitful, multiply, and rape the planet — it's yours. That's our job: drilling, mining and stripping. Sweaters are the anti-Biblical view. Big gas-guzzling cars with phones and CD players and wet bars — that's the Biblical view."
--Ann Coulter

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Isn't neat when the people arguing against the evidence for anthropogenic climate change use climate change policy as their main argument?

That's like saying you don't believe in God because the priests are taking all your money.

If you're going to take a critical position, then at least find the evidence to discredit the science instead of whining about how the guvmint is trying to make a quick buck off of you.

Please post a link that says Antarctic ice is decreasing.

Skeptic arguments that Antarctica is gaining ice frequently hinge on an error of omission, namely ignoring the difference between land ice and sea ice.

In glaciology and particularly with respect to Antarctic ice, not all things are created equal. Let us consider the following differences. Antarctic land ice is the ice which has accumulated over thousands of years on the Antarctica landmass itself through snowfall. This land ice therefore is actually stored ocean water that once fell as precipitation. Sea ice in Antarctica is quite different as it is ice which forms in salt water primarily during the winter months. When land ice melts and flows into the oceans global sea levels rise on average; when sea ice melts sea levels do not change measurably.

In Antarctica, sea ice grows quite extensively during winter but nearly completely melts away during the summer (Figure 1). That is where the important difference between Antarctic and Arctic sea ice exists as much of the Arctic's sea ice lasts all the year round. During the winter months it increases and before decreasing during the summer months, but an ice cover does in fact remain in the North which includes quite a bit of ice from previous years (Figure 1). Essentially Arctic sea ice is more important for the earth's energy balance because when it increasingly melts, more sunlight is absorbed by the oceans whereas Antarctic sea ice normally melts each summer leaving the earth's energy balance largely unchanged.

Is Antarctica losing or gaining ice?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Still working on the specifics, but I'm pretty sure those little buggers are up to something.

Let me know when you figure it out.

Then you can provide us with your evidence, projections and scientific credentials.

Cheers!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Let me know when you figure it out.

Then you can provide us with your evidence, projections and scientific credentials.

Cheers!
I'll present the evidence when I've fully assembled it. Preliminary projections are for continuing and increasing penguin skulduggery.

I have a Ph.D. in climate science.

I just printed it.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Isn't neat when the people arguing against the evidence for anthropogenic climate change use climate change policy as their main argument?

Nope... It's saying that AGW is a myth AND are arguing about assessing a tax on the myth.

Big difference there junior

I'll present the evidence when I've fully assembled it. Preliminary projections are for continuing and increasing penguin skulduggery.

I just printed it.

I just recently assigned myself a Super-Doctorate in Climate Science.

I can now proudly say that I am the most preeminent and qualified climate scientist on the planet... My fees to the UN will reflect it

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Nope... It's saying that AGW is a myth AND are arguing about assessing a tax on the myth.

Big difference there junior

I just recently assigned myself a Super-Doctorate in Climate Science.

I can now proudly say that I am the most preeminent and qualified climate scientist on the planet... My fees to the UN will reflect it
Well, that didn't last long.

You need a Super-Doctorate in Climate Science to sweep the floor in the lab of an Ultra-Mega Climate Sophont like me.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

I just printed it.

I have a Maters in Polar Bear Necessities, and Penguins are on the list. Are you prepared to lobby Washington for my funding, hopefully in Cash?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
VG point. the Antarctic ice, land , is slightly increased, due to increased evaporation from the WARMING Southern Ocean, and Swelling of the warming ice cap.

Its in one of the 'source links' Wally included.- Trying to prove the opposite..
Antarctic ice sheet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No inconsistencies here. Most of the Antarctic's ice loss is from under the surface. Also, Walnut sees something about ice area increasing and gets all ecstatic. However, he doesn't quite seem to comprehend the concept of volume, which is demonstrated by his reply with the graph about area to my graph of volume.
IE, Saturn's rings cover an immense amount of area, but not so much volume. I had it explained to me by a friend of my family who worked at the radio observatory in White Lake, BC one time, that if you could reduce the area of Saturn's rings to the size of a 6m x 6m room, the thickness of the rings would be thinner than a sheet of paper. And ice in the antarctic has a depth of something like 4,800 meters at the thickest and averages about 2400 meters in thickness. hehe Outta sight outta mind.

And Antarctic ice is increasing.

Crap. I really wish you would learn the difference between volume and area.

Please post a link that says Antarctic ice is decreasing.
The Arctic Institute - Center for Circumpolar Security Studies

If you go to the bottom graph you can see that the AREA of Antarctic ice fluctuates but stays pretty much the same on average. VOLUME, however, is DECREASING.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Big difference there junior.

This is the greatest sales job in history to get us to buy unnecessary items
it is nonsense In fact if it were beer foam rising I would believe water rising
around the world? Not so much not one inch of my Cape Breton property is
underwater

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The AREA increases. The VOLUME is decreasing. I was going to make a comparison of thickness between ice and skulls, but I won't.

lol You're kidding, right?

Carbon credit and the hope of wealth transfer is the only thing that is driving this.
Yeah, political BS drives climate changes, uhuh.
Well that and unsubstantiated fear.
I doubt anything could substantiate something to you once you form your opinion. Sorry, but your obduracy is no evidence of anything except your obduracy.

Right on.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yeah, political BS drives climate changes, uhuh. I doubt anything could substantiate something to you once you form your opinion. Sorry, but your obduracy is no evidence of anything except your obduracy.

It is driving the movement. Just look at every climate conference. money money money... binding... give us money...just sign the binding agreement that gives us your money, the debate is over... All Obama had to do was sign this binding agreement... etc.

And no... my opinions and beliefs do change from time to time.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It is driving the movement. Just look at every climate conference. money money money... binding... give us money...just sign the binding agreement that gives us your money, the debate is over... All Obama had to do was sign this binding agreement... etc.
Well, money, money, money is what makes the universe do the funky chicken these days ya know. And politics is all about money, too. :D Who needs gods n goddesses? We have Mammon.

And no... my opinions and beliefs do change from time to time.
Ya, I know. Was just pokin yer ribs.