Thank You Mr. Ramsey: 3 Girls Saved

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The money saved by terminating these three "citizens" (after they've been convicted of course) might go a long way towards rehabilitating the girls. (I doubt if they will be able to step out into mainstream society this week)
I don't know JLM. A quick google shows horrendously high costs to kill someone. I just grabbed this link because I used to take quite an interest in the psychology of what it did for it's victims, and what wardens of prisons thought...

anyhow, for what it's worth:
California
Assessment of Costs by Judge Arthur Alarcon and Prof. Paula Mitchell (2011, updated 2012)
The authors concluded that the cost of the death penalty in California has totaled over $4 billion since 1978:

• $1.94 billion--Pre-Trial and Trial Costs
  • $925 million--Automatic Appeals and State Habeas Corpus Petitions
  • $775 million--Federal Habeas Corpus Appeals
  • $1 billion--Costs of Incarceration
The authors calculated that, if the Governor commuted the sentences of those remaining on death row to life without parole, it would result in an immediate savings of $170 million per year, with a savings of $5 billion over the next 20 years.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I am quite fascinated by their survival. It's practically miraculous really. To live all of those years in captivity, I can't imagine how one would hold onto hope. And then to be brave enough to attempt escape because there must have been threats of reprisal if one attempted escape unsuccessfully.

Three women, one for each. And yet if one looks up stories of confinement although not common place, it happens more than we would like to think. Others have escaped and not been believed because it is so horrendous a crime it is almost unbelievable.

I hope they can find a life. Ten years is a big robbery. No doctors, no dentists, no help. OMG...terrible.
Ditto that.
I wonder if the perps could have brain cancer induced in them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's your opinion. I'm sure you are quite well aware of my thoughts on the opinions you generally share.

Yep, Einstein, I vividly remember your opinion of Geoff Mantler which you insisted was the correct one a couple of years ago. Well, I'll tell you, genius, Mr. Mantler was recently convicted of kicking Buddy in the face and has been relieved of duties with the R.C.M.P. So as far as your opinions are concerned you might want to abstain from comment in the future. -:) Being stupid is a terrible thing, but broadcasting it to the whole wide world is 100 times worse-:)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It would be better if the victims could have input into the punishment. It's going to be hard to find a jury that is impartial. How can one be innocent when they are found confined in someone's home?

The problem I have read in the past was that they victims thought their death would bring some type of closure, but in fact for most it did not.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I am quite fascinated by their survival. It's practically miraculous really. To live all of those years in captivity, I can't imagine how one would hold onto hope. And then to be brave enough to attempt escape because there must have been threats of reprisal if one attempted escape unsuccessfully.

Three women, one for each. And yet if one looks up stories of confinement although not common place, it happens more than we would like to think. Others have escaped and not been believed because it is so horrendous a crime it is almost unbelievable.

I hope they can find a life. Ten years is a big robbery. No doctors, no dentists, no help. OMG...terrible.

Thirty years ago in a community outside of Vancouver a teenage girl was kept in an underground bunker in the miscreant's garage for six months before she was found, even so she was badly traumatised, but happily she's been able to lead a normal life and has children of her own. That S.O.B. is still in jail. Dread to think what his grocery bill has been over the years.

Yep, Einstein, I vividly remember your opinion of Geoff Mantler which you insisted was the correct one a couple of years ago. Well, I'll tell you, genius, Mr. Mantler was recently convicted of kicking Buddy in the face and has been relieved of duties with the R.C.M.P. So as far as your opinions are concerned you might want to abstain from comment in the future. -:) Being stupid is a terrible thing, but broadcasting it to the whole wide world is 100 times worse-:)

As I see you are continuing to do! -:)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Thirty years ago in a community outside of Vancouver a teenage girl was kept in an underground bunker in the miscreant's garage for six months before she was found, even so she was badly traumatised, but happily she's been able to lead a normal life and has children of her own. That S.O.B. is still in jail. Dread to think what his grocery bill has been over the years.
Someone like that can NEVER be released and that is the problem that the death penalty alleviates...no release. That's the only positive I have found.

Six months is a life time for a young girl. It's beyond my wildest, most bizarre imagination. If it were my daughter I am certain that at first I would want to run him through the heart with a knife.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Review of Resurrection: The Kidnapping of Abby Drover by John Griffiths | Quill & Quire

Someone like that can NEVER be released and that is the problem that the death penalty alleviates...no release. That's the only positive I have found.

Six months is a life time for a young girl. It's beyond my wildest, most bizarre imagination. If it were my daughter I am certain that at first I would want to run him through the heart with a knife.

Yep and one with a long rusty blade!

Yep and one with a long rusty blade!

I don't know JLM. A quick google shows horrendously high costs to kill someone. I just grabbed this link because I used to take quite an interest in the psychology of what it did for it's victims, and what wardens of prisons thought...

anyhow, for what it's worth:
California
Assessment of Costs by Judge Arthur Alarcon and Prof. Paula Mitchell (2011, updated 2012)
The authors concluded that the cost of the death penalty in California has totaled over $4 billion since 1978:

• $1.94 billion--Pre-Trial and Trial Costs
  • $925 million--Automatic Appeals and State Habeas Corpus Petitions
  • $775 million--Federal Habeas Corpus Appeals
  • $1 billion--Costs of Incarceration
The authors calculated that, if the Governor commuted the sentences of those remaining on death row to life without parole, it would result in an immediate savings of $170 million per year, with a savings of $5 billion over the next 20 years.

I'd bet if they left it with me for a couple of days (or even half an hour) I could pare it down considerably. I'm not sure which is cheapest, a rifle shell, 10' of rope or a couple of thousand volts.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'd bet if they left it with me for a couple of days (or even half an hour) I could pare it down considerably. I'm not sure which is cheapest, a rifle shell, 10' of rope or a couple of thousand volts.
The number of appeals allowed etc. all add up. Plus I think they sit on death row for a decade.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Well, on the plus side, they all had eachother, and a reason to risk it and run, and thank god they did.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Anyone here watch the latest Hawaii 5-O about the girls abducted and held captive? Yup I almost cried, anyone else tear up?

Really, murders and pedophiles deserve nothing but the ultimate punishment. DEATH!!

The 3 Castro brothers who kidnapped and raped the 3 girls.

However, in this case I think a better punishment would be chemical castration, and tossed in general population in prison.

Nope, the state will pay for segregated cells to protect these child rapists. Tax payer dollars going to 3 vial individuals who will now cost the citizens millions.

Kidnapped Cleveland woman, Amanda Berry, hailed a 'hero' after desperate 911 call | Fox News

The Hawaii 5-O have the parents of Maile Gilbert as guest stars..worth the watch

Maile Alert Inspired - Hawaii Five O feature guest this week - YouTube

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Well, on the plus side, they all had eachother, and a reason to risk it and run, and thank god they did.
that's what I thought too, at least they had each other if they were able to communicate on a regular basis...we will know more shortly

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm sure you could but some of us believe in the concept of innocent until proven guilty

And me as much as anyone else. So there is some question about two of them, but I'm sure the girls can clear that up in about 15 seconds and the third one was the occupant of the house, so you tell me where the doubt is there, Einstein. The young Kid may have some interesting D.N.A. I don't think they have to be terminated this week, next week would be about right! (After they've been proven guilty of course) -:)

It would be better if the victims could have input into the punishment. It's going to be hard to find a jury that is impartial. How can one be innocent when they are found confined in someone's home?

The problem I have read in the past was that they victims thought their death would bring some type of closure, but in fact for most it did not.

No but it gives a sense of relief for others who are afraid of them. Hardly a month goes by that we don't hear of prison escapes.
It also gives the culprits some "closure"-:)

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
And me as much as anyone else. So there is some question about two of them, but I'm sure the girls can clear that up in about 15 seconds and the third one was the occupant of the house, so you tell me where the doubt is there, Einstein. The young Kid may have some interesting D.N.A. I don't think they have to be terminated this week, next week would be about right! (After they've been proven guilty of course) -:)

No but it gives a sense of relief for others who are afraid of them. Hardly a month goes by that we don't hear of prison escapes.
the death penalty ensures that there is no repetition but other than that, I am pulled either way ... I lean toward no death penalty though because their lack of freedom is a bigger punishment, a quick death, meh, might be too good for them. They need to be reminded everyday for many long years of the heinous crime they have committed. I don't think I would want to live through that. I have tried to imagine it after watching police shows and frankly I can't go there.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Anyone here watch the latest Hawaii 5-O about the girls abducted and held captive? Yup I almost cried, anyone else tear up?

Really, murders and pedophiles deserve nothing but the ultimate punishment. DEATH!!

The 3 Castro brothers who kidnapped and raped the 3 girls.

However, in this case I think a better punishment would be chemical castration, and tossed in general population in prison.

Nope, the state will pay for segregated cells to protect these child rapists. Tax payer dollars going to 3 vial individuals who will now cost the citizens millions.

Kidnapped Cleveland woman, Amanda Berry, hailed a 'hero' after desperate 911 call | Fox News

The Hawaii 5-O have the parents of Maile Gilbert as guest stars..worth the watch

Maile Alert Inspired - Hawaii Five O feature guest this week - YouTube

(In my best ole west accent, thumbs in my gunbelt)

Don't y'all reckon we oughta give these here boys a fair trial afore we hang 'em?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
(In my best ole west accent, thumbs in my gunbelt)

Don't y'all reckon we oughta give these here boys a fair trial afore we hang 'em?

My sentiments EXACTLY.

I'm sure you could but some of us believe in the concept of innocent until proven guilty

I realize you're not too bright, but I've never advocated hanging them until AFTER guilt has been established. There's three, maybe four pretty solid witnesses here and one defense lawyer among the three of them is more than enough. -:)