Alberta passes .05% law that was just declared unconstitutional in BC

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Someday we gotta do some fishing for those big brown trouts in Cypress.

Conglomerate cliffs SK Cypress Hills.'

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I have a cabin in Elkwater. While the Cypress hills are not technically mountains, the Elkwater town site is the same elevation as Banff so it is rather impressive given the bald ass prairie that surrounds them

I thought Elkwater is in Alberta!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Surprisingly Cypress Hills is in both AB and SK JLM.

It's amazing what is only 20 mins from highway #1 in the AB/SK desert.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Would this be any different from other ways in which insurance works? In virtually all types of insurance we are categorized in groups according to our behaviour, lifestyles etc. :smile:

Yes it would JLM, because you are not being fined or charged for an offense. If it was officers exercising discretion and making a judgement call that wasn't any farther reaching than a 24 hour suspension I could even get behind that, but it leaves the driver open to the prejudice of the officer without any due process to challenge that prejudice.

We have laws for a reason.

By the way I drive a 1999 Chrysler and I have a five star rating. around a $1000.00 a year

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes it would JLM, because you are not being fined or charged for an offense. If it was officers exercising discretion and making a judgement call that wasn't any farther reaching than a 24 hour suspension I could even get behind that, but it leaves the driver open to the prejudice of the officer without any due process to challenge that prejudice.

We have laws for a reason.

By the way I drive a 1999 Chrysler and I have a five star rating. around a $1000.00 a year

I totally agree with you..............with the exception that the 24 hour suspensions have done little or nothing to reduce the number of alcohol related violent auto deaths. Don't you think it is high time to give "the screws another twist"?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I totally agree with you..............with the exception that the 24 hour suspensions have done little or nothing to reduce the number of alcohol related violent auto deaths. Don't you think it is high time to give "the screws another twist"?

No. I think its high time to enforce the law, but always keep in mind that we are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If a 24 hour suspension yields no fines, and no lasting effect on an individuals life that is one thing, but if we are going to arbitrarily punish people, screw up their insurance without giving them the benefit of a hearing that is muddy water to be treading into.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No. I think its high time to enforce the law, but always keep in mind that we are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If a 24 hour suspension yields no fines, and no lasting effect on an individuals life that is one thing, but if we are going to arbitrarily punish people, screw up their insurance without giving them the benefit of a hearing that is muddy water to be treading into.

Am I wrong to assume you can agree to waive the roadside procedure and go straight to court risking of course that the consequences could be much more severe?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Am I wrong to assume you can agree to waive the roadside procedure and go straight to court risking of course that the consequences could be much more severe?

On that I'm not 100%, but since you are not being charged there is no fine to fight. Hence the challenge in place now.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I totally agree with you..............with the exception that the 24 hour suspensions have done little or nothing to reduce the number of alcohol related violent auto deaths.

That's because they are not attacking the real problem. Check stops do not stop those that are really drunk because they will generally not use the main roads (which is usually where check stops are set up). Check stops are to give the public the illusion that the government is making the roads safer. In much the same way, people support speed/radar traps thinking that it is making the roads safer. While I personally have no issue with either, I think the police and the government should quit lying to the public and simply admit that it is a revenue generator and the government (not to mention the insurance companies) is addicted to the money.

Don't you think it is high time to give "the screws another twist"?

No, I think it's time they dealt with real problems.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's because they are not attacking the real problem. Check stops do not stop those that are really drunk because they will generally not use the main roads (which is usually where check stops are set up). Check stops are to give the public the illusion that the government is making the roads safer. In much the same way, people support speed/radar traps thinking that it is making the roads safer. While I personally have no issue with either, I think the police and the government should quit lying to the public and simply admit that it is a revenue generator and the government (not to mention the insurance companies) is addicted to the money.

No, I think it's time they dealt with real problems.

So what are the REAL PROBLEMS?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The most unsafe drivers.

Yep, among the worst are the impaireds, the speeders, the tailgaters, ones who won't yield, and the ones who don't pay attention..................did I miss anyone? Statistically speaking males under 30.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Yep, among the worst are the impaireds, the speeders, the tailgaters, ones who won't yield, and the ones who don't pay attention..................did I miss anyone? Statistically speaking males under 30.

You're a sucker for the propaganda.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Link please

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ble+17+Dec+from+10-13+GMT+for+IT+maintenance.

when accidents and convictions are considered in terms of their rates while the person is actually driving, older drivers and female drivers gain in importance, with the female drivers' traffic accident rate and rates for some convictions exceeding the male drivers' rates. Similarly, the older drivers' accident rate and rates on some convictions exceeded the younger drivers' rates when considered in terms of driving exposure.

CBC Marketplace: Senior Drivers

Most seniors don't drive as much as they did when they were younger. But they have more accidents per kilometre driven than any other age group. The accidents tend to be in daytime in good conditions.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/research/809-050pdf.pdf

Go to figure 1 on page 13

Speeding drivers cause only 3% of car accidents, figures reveal | Mail Online

I've already given you the link (which you chose to ignore) regarding the autobahn which clearly shows that they have a fatality rate that is half of the United States.

I feel sorry for people that just lap up the propaganda that gets spoon fed to them. Locally, we have the RCMP writing stop sign violations as fast as they can at one of the local intersections. "Of course, it's about safety" they claim and people like you support it despite the fact that nobody can ever remember an accident at the intersection....ever. It's a money grab and nothing more.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Question - What are the typical weather & road conditions for the majority of accidents causing severe injuries, including accidents causing death.

Cannuk - Did not see an answer from you on this. Possibly I missed it?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I've already given you the link (which you chose to ignore) regarding the autobahn which clearly shows that they have a fatality rate that is half of the United States.
Which would be a fair comparison if the US had the same multi tiered limits, restrictions, and regulations.

Tell me, does any US State have Highway/Traffic laws that dictate at what speed different classifications of tires can go? Highway/Traffic laws that restrict speed limits for different types of vehicles? Highway/Traffic laws limiting use by vehicles that can not maintain speeds in excess of X?

All to the scale and extent that German legislation does?

How about the fact that only 2% of the traffic in Germany, run on the unlimited sections of the Autobahn? (Unless you were under the misguided belief that the Autobahn was completely limitless, which would definitely explain your confused comparison.)

Or how about the fact that limited access and grade separation, is also a substantial mitigating factor?

I reiterate, your link, simply supports JLM's position. Whether or not you think so.

Are there any other apples you'd like to erroneously compare to elephants?

Last edited: