Are B.C. school teachers being realistic

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Two days of selling my soul and then trying to fish in the fog for a few days. Oh and eating bacon.

Please see attached photo of the receipt.
Iggy - look at your receipt again. You paid $5.49 for the bacon. Actual cost is listed on the left of the receipt.

In Vernon now you can pay up to $7 a 500g. for bacon, but if you are careful and look around you can still find it for $5. You have to be very careful as there are now 375 g packs and you don't pick up one of those for $5 thinking they are 500g.- sneaky bastards. :lol: I'm talking about Schneiders. You can find no name brands for $2.99 if you are just looking for something to grease the pan.

What has bacon got to do with school teachers?????????????? Hold on I get it- you think they are living too high on the hog? :lol:
Pretty quick thinking there JLM! :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
But only because he's got a SOM card.
No card no. I just told the nice gal at the cashier I was from out of province and she gave the discount.

What does making a decent wage have to do with bringing home the bacon? It's $7.50 for freakin' bacon.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Save on Foods policy is, if you are an out of province customer they use a store SOM card for that customer. The SOM prices ARE regular prices with the posted non SOM prices inflated.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Haggling for bacon? Is that how you spend your weekends or would you rather haggle for a real wage every 3-4 years so you don't need to clip coupons and haggle for bacon in your spare time?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Haggling for bacon? Is that how you spend your weekends or would you rather haggle for a real wage ever 3-4 years so you don't need to clip coupons and haggle for bacon in your spare time?

They make more than a "real" wage and NO ONE pays $7.50 a pound for regular bacon unless they are complete morons.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They make more than a "real" wage and NO ONE pays $7.50 a pound for regular bacon unless they are complete morons.

Average price in Vernon is around $5 for 500 grams. Some is cheaper but only good for greasing the pan.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There is a ****load of complete morons in the world that have no clue you can haggle for bacon. If I wasn't a card a card carrying member of the "more club" and didn't know the secrect code "hey I'm from out of province" *wink wink* I'd be paying $7.50.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Because I'm not a coward and face any problems I have had or I have head on.

I don't think you understand much of life, don't you rely on belief in a fantasy? That's not facing problems head on, man. Facing a problem head on is killing yourself when there's nothing to live for; stumbling along being an azzhole (as you do) is for cowards.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If parents teach their children to show respect for their teachers and fellow students, half the job would be done. Also, they need to teach their kids to be truthful as well as kind.

Yep, things have changed in 50 years, if we got a whoopin' at school we prayed the old man wouldn't hear about it.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
There is a ****load of complete morons in the world that have no clue you can haggle for bacon. If I wasn't a card a card carrying member of the "more club" and didn't know the secrect code "hey I'm from out of province" *wink wink* I'd be paying $7.50.
You are so right. You would have paid the $7.49 without the SOM card. You don't even have to say you are from out of province. Just tell them you are a tourist. "I'm a tourist. Do you have a tourist card?" works just fine. When people came through my till and they didn't have a card and did not want one, instead of all the fuss I used to say in an elevated voice "So, you are tourists are you, I'll just call for a manager's card". What many people don't believe is that a cashier can be fired for agreeing to use another customer's card unless she/he knows for sure that the borrowed card is being used between two people who truly came in together. People think you are lying when they are told that. When the cashier's are hired, each one signs a paper agreeing that they can be fired if they allow that to happen. So - at first you are really afraid and you take all kinds of ****e from the customers. Then you wise up and call for a managers card.
Since there are no SOM stores in your province, you just have to say what province you are from and the cashier will likely bend over backwards to get a manager there to help you out.
Our food prices have gone over the top in the past couple of months so Gerry - if you lived in this province - you wouldn't be eating much bacon. In most stores, a pound of un-salted butter is over $7.00.

Save on Foods policy is, if you are an out of province customer they use a store SOM card for that customer. The SOM prices ARE regular prices with the posted non SOM prices inflated.
Then you come and shop where I live. Those same high prices right now are in places like Super Store as well. We have a Thrifty's Store (now owned by Sobey's) and you'll probably pay even more there. Quality foods - not as high as Thrifty's but usually more than SOM. We don't have a Safeway but there is one down the road a bit. It's just as high. Even Wal Mart prices are up considerably. This summer the stores were selling 24 pks. of canned pop for over $10.00. They used to always be 2 cases of 12 for $6.00.
People will bite off their nose to spite their face. They refuse the SOM card because they believe that they should be able to buy the product with or without a card. What they believe and what is real simply don't jive. I offered to call for a manager's card for one silly woman one night and she refused. More money than brains.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You are so right. You would have paid the $7.49 without the SOM card. You don't even have to say you are from out of province. Just tell them you are a tourist. "I'm a tourist. Do you have a tourist card?" works just fine. When people came through my till and they didn't have a card and did not want one, instead of all the fuss I used to say in an elevated voice "So, you are tourists are you, I'll just call for a manager's card". What many people don't believe is that a cashier can be fired for agreeing to use another customer's card unless she/he knows for sure that the borrowed card is being used between two people who truly came in together. People think you are lying when they are told that. When the cashier's are hired, each one signs a paper agreeing that they can be fired if they allow that to happen. So - at first you are really afraid and you take all kinds of ****e from the customers. Then you wise up and call for a managers card.
Since there are no SOM stores in your province, you just have to say what province you are from and the cashier will likely bend over backwards to get a manager there to help you out.
Our food prices have gone over the top in the past couple of months so Gerry - if you lived in this province - you wouldn't be eating much bacon. In most stores, a pound of un-salted butter is over $7.00.

Then you come and shop where I live. Those same high prices right now are in places like Super Store as well. We have a Thrifty's Store (now owned by Sobey's) and you'll probably pay even more there. Quality foods - not as high as Thrifty's but usually more than SOM. We don't have a Safeway but there is one down the road a bit. It's just as high. Even Wal Mart prices are up considerably. This summer the stores were selling 24 pks. of canned pop for over $10.00. They used to always be 2 cases of 12 for $6.00.
People will bite off their nose to spite their face. They refuse the SOM card because they believe that they should be able to buy the product with or without a card. What they believe and what is real simply don't jive. I offered to call for a manager's card for one silly woman one night and she refused. More money than brains.

I think these cards are just a bloody nuisance and don't really see the point of them besides ripping off the customer. In B.C. you can generally get Red Label bacon from Safeway for $5 or less. It's not bad bacon.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think these cards are just a bloody nuisance and don't really see the point of them besides ripping off the customer. In B.C. you can generally get Red Label bacon from Safeway for $5 or less. It's not bad bacon.
Yeah but it's not Schneider's