Are B.C. school teachers being realistic

itsmesean

Oct 7, 2011
vancouver
Sounds to me like you're one of those parents that prefer to shove off their responsibilities onto society and teachers.

There are some things that are the responsibility of the parents. Too many things have been co opted from parents.
did you reed anything I wrote? I taught my daughter to read at age 3 (for example)

itsmesean

Oct 7, 2011
vancouver
You beat me to it, I was going to say "good thing you didn't teach her to spell". :lol:
well, you see I went to school here as well

Sounds to me like you're one of those parents that prefer to shove off their responsibilities onto society and teachers.

There are some things that are the responsibility of the parents. Too many things have been co opted from parents.
I can’t rely on the teachers at all, just the way things are. Last year my daughter was in grade one in a split class with kindergartners, how much do you think she learned from her teacher? Not much.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
oh you are so much smarter then me

The point is, which you seem incapable of comprehending without it being spoon fed to you, is that somethings are the parents responsibility and somethings can and should be handed over to the experts. Not everything should be handed over to society.

itsmesean

Oct 7, 2011
vancouver
The point is, which you seem incapable of comprehending without it being spoon fed to you, is that somethings are the parents responsibility and somethings can and should be handed over to the experts. Not everything should be handed over to society.
I never disagreed with that, I was only saying that if it is not taught at home we should still try and teach it.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I never disagreed with that, I was only saying that if it is not taught at home we should still try and teach it.

If it becomes part of the curiculum, then parents will be to damned lazy to do it themselves and it's one more thing handed over to the schools to teach that should have stayed in the home.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
VanIsle that is sad. Tell me. Does your grandson have sight, hearing, or other than physical disabilities?
Is your grandson able to speak?
He can speak, he can hear, he can carry on a conversation with you or me or anyone. Sometimes his speech is a little distorted because he has a high palate but he knows enough that if he cannot make you understand the word, he searches for another word that means the same. He wears glasses but I don't think he needs them. Again - I think it has to do with a lack of teaching. How can he tell the Optomitrist what the letters are? I try to work with him but there is only so much I can do. I only have him now for about 2 hours a day every second school week, so - about 20 hours a month. I'm not always here either because I run other grandkids to other places or pick them up from other places. My husband stays with him or the other kids that are here are old enough to stay with him for a few min. now even though he is older than all of them. He's 15 in Feb. and he attends what they call "Life Skills" in school. I just shake my head. I'm wondering what life skills he is being taught. They have him in a cooking class. He is happy with it but he cannot use it. He is somewhat spastic and while he holds his own glass (with a sealed top and a straw) at any given moment, anything he is holding can go flying across the room. He tries hard to control that and has quite a lot of success with it.
How do you think we felt a few days ago when his Dad picked him up to carry him out to his car and my grandson said "Daddy, will you teach me how to walk"? I'm so glad my son was quick with an answer for him. He said "Walk! How about you let me do the walking for you". Grandson just agreed. Those are the moments that leave you speechless. He wants to be like other people so much.

BC Teachers do not top out at $72,000. My brother and his wife are retired teachers so I know better.

JLM - I don't want my grandson to be taught to think for himself. He actually does a pretty good job of that all on his own. I want him to be taught his letters and simple addition/subtraction for now. I don't want him at the back of the class where in the teacher's opinion, he won't disturb anyone. He's not a disruptive child.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
He can speak, he can hear, he can carry on a conversation with you or me or anyone. Sometimes his speech is a little distorted because he has a high palate but he knows enough that if he cannot make you understand the word, he searches for another word that means the same. He wears glasses but I don't think he needs them. Again - I think it has to do with a lack of teaching. How can he tell the Optomitrist what the letters are?

VanIsle- The optometrist doesn't need to be told what the letters are. He can take a direct measurement of the eyeball to determine exactly what the vision is. They do it on infants all the time.

VanIsle; JLM - I don't want my grandson to be taught to think for himself. He actually does a pretty good job of that all on his own. I want him to be taught his letters and simple addition/subtraction for now. I don't want him at the back of the class where in the teacher's opinion said:
I hear you and of course the teacher should be doing that, whether he/she is earning $72 grand a year or $22 grand a year. If he were my grandson I would go right to the teacher first (principal if necessary) and just explain that he needs to be moved closer to the front of the class. Teachers have to remember they are working for US. Another case of the tail wagging the dog for far too long.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
so you just against the union teachers? captain morgan? I was wondering how much a teacher would make if there was never a union? can you tell me that?

Market value... No one needs a union to tell them their value.

Assuming that the individual produces above average results, there will always be someone that is prepared to pay for that value.

Clear enough for ya?

I would love to be a teacher, and would be great at it. The sad fact is I just can't afford to be. I wish things could be different, it is my passion.

Bullsh*t.... If you don;t have the balls to make it happen, then you don't have a 'passion'. All you're looking for is a soft option.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
If it becomes part of the curiculum, then parents will be to damned lazy to do it themselves and it's one more thing handed over to the schools to teach that should have stayed in the home.
If parents teach their children to show respect for their teachers and fellow students, half the job would be done. Also, they need to teach their kids to be truthful as well as kind.

VanIsle- The optometrist doesn't need to be told what the letters are. He can take a direct measurement of the eyeball to determine exactly what the vision is. They do it on infants all the time.

I hear you and of course the teacher should be doing that, whether he/she is earning $72 grand a year or $22 grand a year. If he were my grandson I would go right to the teacher first (principal if necessary) and just explain that he needs to be moved closer to the front of the class. Teachers have to remember they are working for US. Another case of the tail wagging the dog for far too long.
In regard to glasses, true but not true. They say the true measure of whether or not a child needs his glasses is whether or not they wear them. If the glasses are of no value, the child will turf them. Any optometrist will tell you that in the end, it's their best guess. My grandson's mother believes he needs to wear glasses so it's natural that they are more than willing to sell them. I would think that was admirable in some cases but this woman tries to look like mother of the year when all she can truly lay claim to is giving birth. He likes to wear my glasses (progressive lenses) that he obviously cannot see out of and both my eyes are quite different from the other. What he really wants is the attention of me giving him my glasses and my watch to wear. Between now and January, I am going to be sure he knows all his letters. I've bought the necessary "tools" and then I will take him to my optometrist (his Dad knows and agrees) and we'll see if he needs glasses. I've tested him with holding up little things far away and putting tiny things up close and he has no trouble seeing any of the things without his glasses on. I held a tiny tiny viewmaster up to his eyes and asked him what the picture was. He hates gorillas. He knew immediately that I had shown him a gorilla. No glasses. Time for new and proper testing. There are lots of great optometrists out there and some not so good. A second opinion won't hurt anything (except the pocketbook a little). He knows the alphabet, the months of the year, the days of the week etc. I just want him to be able to quickly identify the correct letter at the right time.
Also - regarding his schooling - I somewhat blame government over teachers. Students like my grandchild do take longer to learn. I believe that once he has learned the basics, other things will come faster. He's never going to be an "A" student and that's okay. Teachers cannot stop their whole day to teach one child but - neither should they shove him to the back of the class. He had one teacher who not only put him to the back of the class, she took away his gov't supplied computer and put it away in a back room of her classroom. We found out the teachers were using it as a spare. I went to his class because I wanted to see if he was or was not using his computer. His teacher never so much as nodded at me. She called his TA over and asked her to ask me to leave. He's not in that school anymore but that teacher is retired now anyway and well she should be. That's another problem. Teachers earn a pretty good pension but they stay on far too long. They stop young fresh blood from being teachers and holding down a full time job. Retired teachers should stay retired. They go back as subs and once again, take money away from new teachers who really need it. Selfish and egotistical.
Special needs should be mixed with the other students for some of the day. Just to socialize them. Then they should be taught in a room where a teacher has time for them. It's not like they have that many students all at once and if they do, the class should be split. As the student progresses, they may be able to spend more and more time, maybe even moving up to full days with regular students.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As far as I know in B.C. teachers top out at 72,000 in Alberta it's 88,000. Would you do it for that? you can work an oil rig for 120,000 with no education, plenty of time off too. oh and no student loan. Or maybe we need more lawyers? There are plenty of less important jobs requiring less education, that give better pay. Why would anybody want to be a teacher?

I may be wrong but is it not a lock out situation they are looking at? not a strike. I do agree with your other points.

It's very silly to compare teaching with oil rig work (I know my son has been on the rigs for 25 years) Rig work can be very dangerous in the crappiest of conditions cold, hot, mosquitoes, muskeg, black flies. They can work 14 hour days, sometimes for 40 or 50 days straight. Other times due to rain etc. they can be laid off for several weeks or months. There is just absolutely nothing to compare between teaching and working in the oil patch.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
$20 an hour (average not starting or highest) that ain't bringing home the bacon. It's $7 freakin 50 for a pack of bacon in Metrotown. There is a major imbalance in the bacon to dollars earned ratio. Either they are making jack **** or bacon is way to expensive. Which is it?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
$20 an hour (average not starting or highest) that ain't bringing home the bacon. It's $7 freakin 50 for a pack of bacon in Metrotown. There is a major imbalance in the bacon to dollars earned ratio. Either they are making jack **** or bacon is way to expensive. Which is it?
Iggy - where are you coming from. Who are you talking to? I just looked at bacon a few hours ago. $5.00 a pound. You know that nearly everything is more expensive over here. Must have been the brand you were looking at. Anyway, even $5.00 a pound is too much. We bought strip loin steak for $6.99 a pound in the same store as the $5.00 bacon tonight. (SOM)
What are you doing in Metrotown anyway. Several things you have said lately sound like you are back in BC. Are you?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
JM Schneider, the good stuff. It was at Save-On Metrotown.
You must have looked at the wrong tag. It's the same brand I looked at here at SOM. However, sometimes, I have in past years, seen flyers with different prices for different cities for a variety of stores.
You didn't answer me. What are you doing in Metrotown?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You must have looked at the wrong tag. It's the same brand I looked at here at SOM. However, sometimes, I have in past years, seen flyers with different prices for different cities for a variety of stores.
You didn't answer me. What are you doing in Metrotown?
Two days of selling my soul and then trying to fish in the fog for a few days. Oh and eating bacon.

Please see attached photo of the receipt.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Iggy - where are you coming from. Who are you talking to? I just looked at bacon a few hours ago. $5.00 a pound. You know that nearly everything is more expensive over here. Must have been the brand you were looking at. Anyway, even $5.00 a pound is too much. We bought strip loin steak for $6.99 a pound in the same store as the $5.00 bacon tonight. (SOM)
What are you doing in Metrotown anyway. Several things you have said lately sound like you are back in BC. Are you?

In Vernon now you can pay up to $7 a 500g. for bacon, but if you are careful and look around you can still find it for $5. You have to be very careful as there are now 375 g packs and you don't pick up one of those for $5 thinking they are 500g.- sneaky bastards. :lol: I'm talking about Schneiders. You can find no name brands for $2.99 if you are just looking for something to grease the pan.

What has bacon got to do with school teachers?????????????? Hold on I get it- you think they are living too high on the hog? :lol: