Are B.C. school teachers being realistic

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If teachers were really realistic they would opt for the four day week, as the schools in District 51 (Boundary) have been on for the past several years to save a bundle of money.

itsmesean

Oct 7, 2011
vancouver
Education is so important, we all believe this yet we don’t put our money where our mouth is. Education of our population is an asset, why don’t we treat it as such? We should be funding it well. Should we just tell our children they are not worth it? Do you think we can attract top quality teachers if we treat them poorly? I believe teaching is one of the most important jobs there is.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Education is so important, we all believe this yet we don’t put our money where our mouth is. Education of our population is an asset, why don’t we treat it as such? We should be funding it well. Should we just tell our children they are not worth it? Do you think we can attract top quality teachers if we treat them poorly? I believe teaching is one of the most important jobs there is.

Is a few $billion a year not enough?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Teachers are already well paid. They have a great benefits plan. Not many teachers spend much time worrying about doing a "good" job anymore. Too many are there for the pay and benefits and not for the children. I do not have a great deal of respect for today's style of teacher. As far as I know, teachers pay is based on years of experience for the most part. I know of one in the Okanagan that is earning about $80,000.00 per year and this person is in their early 40's. So - maybe about 15 years or so experience. They work 10 months (or less) in the year. Besides the 2 month summer break, they have time off at Easter, Christmas (2 weeks), Spring Break. Just exactly how hard done by do you believe these teachers are? Sorry but all I see is greed.

itsmesean

Oct 7, 2011
vancouver
Is a few $billion a year not enough?
Well, my daughter is in a split class again this year. Last year she was in grade 1, but shared her class with Kindergartners. You tell me if you think it's enough, why we choose to give our kids anything less than the best education is lost on me?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, my daughter is in a split class again this year. Last year she was in grade 1, but shared her class with Kindergartners. You tell me if you think it's enough, why we choose to give our kids anything less than the best education is lost on me?

If you want your kids to have the best education you teach them to think for themselves, you teach them discipline (short term pain for long term gain) you teach them to be independent, you teach them to follow a routine without having to be supervised at every turn. You teach them to take responsibility for their actions. The most important thing a teacher can do for her/his students is set a good example. What kind of example is whining on a picket line?

itsmesean

Oct 7, 2011
vancouver
Teachers are already well paid. They have a great benefits plan. Not many teachers spend much time worrying about doing a "good" job anymore. Too many are there for the pay and benefits and not for the children. I do not have a great deal of respect for today's style of teacher. As far as I know, teachers pay is based on years of experience for the most part. I know of one in the Okanagan that is earning about $80,000.00 per year and this person is in their early 40's. So - maybe about 15 years or so experience. They work 10 months (or less) in the year. Besides the 2 month summer break, they have time off at Easter, Christmas (2 weeks), Spring Break. Just exactly how hard done by do you believe these teachers are? Sorry but all I see is greed.
As far as I know in B.C. teachers top out at 72,000 in Alberta it's 88,000. Would you do it for that? you can work an oil rig for 120,000 with no education, plenty of time off too. oh and no student loan. Or maybe we need more lawyers? There are plenty of less important jobs requiring less education, that give better pay. Why would anybody want to be a teacher?

If you want your kids to have the best education you teach them to think for themselves, you teach them discipline (short term pain for long term gain) you teach them to be independent, you teach them to follow a routine without having to be supervised at every turn. You teach them to take responsibility for their actions. The most important thing a teacher can do for her/his students is set a good example. What kind of example is whining on a picket line?
I may be wrong but is it not a lock out situation they are looking at? not a strike. I do agree with your other points.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As far as I know in B.C. teachers top out at 72,000 in Alberta it's 88,000. Would you do it for that? you can work an oil rig for 120,000 with no education, plenty of time off too. oh and no student loan. Or maybe we need more lawyers? There are plenty of less important jobs requiring less education, that give better pay. Why would anybody want to be a teacher?

I may be wrong but is it not a lock out situation they are looking at? not a strike. I do agree with your other points.

I was thinking back about 30 years when the teachers did strike in Courtenay B.C. One little bastard had the audacity to chastise a parent for crossing the picket line in concern for her child. Talk about the tail wagging the dog. The sad part was that little bastard was my son's teacher.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
My dis-abled grandson is usually stuck at the back of a class or is walked around by his TA's, learning nothing. He's in a wheelchair and his teachers never bother to find out if he might be able to be taught anything. He is treated much the same as all dis-abled children who no one takes time for and no one tries to see if they can be taught. They just push them through their 12 years of school and get rid of them. He's in grade 9 this year. He can't tell you what 5 plus 5 is. No one has ever taught him. You tell me if that's enough!!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My dis-abled grandson is usually stuck at the back of a class or is walked around by his TA's, learning nothing. He's in a wheelchair and his teachers never bother to find out if he might be able to be taught anything. He is treated much the same as all dis-abled children who no one takes time for and no one tries to see if they can be taught. They just push them through their 12 years of school and get rid of them. He's in grade 9 this year. He can't tell you what 5 plus 5 is. No one has ever taught him. You tell me if that's enough!!!

VanIsle that is sad. Tell me. Does your grandson have sight, hearing, or other than physical disabilities?
Is your grandson able to speak?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Parents need to teach their kids about respect, and get more involved in the education of their children.

That's a joke right? Teachers don't really want parents involved. They only want "yes" men. The horror stories I could tell you about incompetent teachers in the public school system in BC. Over paid, whining pre-Madonnas, that is all they are.

itsmesean

Oct 7, 2011
vancouver
That's a joke right? Teachers don't really want parents involved. They only want "yes" men. The horror stories I could tell you about incompetent teachers in the public school system in BC. Over paid, whining pre-Madonnas, that is all they are.
Well, I agree with you. Our education system needs big change. I only remember having one good teacher, so how do we fix it? I think one thing we need is better teachers, how do we do that? How do we make education more of a priority to our government? Or is it all good?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yeah, that's a problem, kids aren't taught to think for themselves.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

There's a few that are good, but mostly you're right, Gerry. :smile:

itsmesean

Oct 7, 2011
vancouver
I think it's a great attitude, I am saying it is most important that we learn to think for ourselves, it does not matter who's job it is to teach it. And yes I am a parent, and a great one at that.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I think it's a great attitude, I am saying it is most important that we learn to think for ourselves, it does not matter who's job it is to teach it. And yes I am a parent, and a great one at that.

Sounds to me like you're one of those parents that prefer to shove off their responsibilities onto society and teachers.

Where did you see that carved in stone? :smile:

There are some things that are the responsibility of the parents. Too many things have been co opted from parents.