‘Do you have running water? I don’t and I live in Canada’

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ignoring the cultural differences for a moment how many of us would stay in a community that has over 85% of the population on welfare? Probably none.

How can you ignore the cultural differences though? That's a huge part.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The aboriginal world cannot change overnight, it will take years.
This is the first thing you've ever said, that was right.

Many can barely speak English and think Regina is big city.
I think Newmarket is a big city.

They live a subsistence life, just getting by, living in squalor, while a few prosper.
Are you talking about gov't housing in Tdot, or a res?

They want us to pay to keep traditions that are not democratic.
Kanesatake gearing up for Aug. 20 election | APTN National News

Hmmm, open elections, undemocratic?

Hell, the system of gov't, the oldest living participatory democracy on earth, that of the Haudenosaunee, Six nations, was great. It took the Europeans to f!ck it up.

They are locked in a dead end relationship with the govt that excludes the mass of Canadians.
I agree, and you're excluded because you aren't party to the contract. Can I profit from the sale of your home?

Yet they are Canadians because they are not Russians, Arabs, Nigerians or Swedes.

They are however, Anish, Onondaga, Mohawk, Chippewa, Dokis, and so on. Your prejudice knows no bounds, lol.

Maude Barlow wishes to lever the UN to force the govt to give them "rights."
Everyone has a right to clean drinking water.

She's desperate and ought to be ignored.
Who knew you two had something in common.

You can't even give one example of why aboriginal culture is worth preserving.
You're right, I can give thousands.

True. Legal obligations are not eternal though.
They are if it's written in the contract, lol.

Aboriginals are driving big rigs and running businesses, that wasn't written in any legal document not too long ago.
Is there a point to that silliness?

So ... is someone complaining because they choose to live outside a city and they haven't managed their water and sewer services without the assistance of the local, provincial or federal government???
Choose? No.

... or is there something more to this?
Yes.

If the problem is running water, drill a well, drop the pump way down, get a plumber involved and voila ... running water. If the water is not drinkable, do what others do and get a water dispenser. If all of that is too much effort ... move into the city where it's mostly provided by gov't services.
The fact that we're talking about something on a larger scale, aside, that's all that's being asked for.

Only there is a contract that indicates who is to pay for it.

If the water safety criteria on reserves is different than what the people find acceptable, why don't they modify the criteria. Aren't reserves self-governing?
Yes and no.

Is the problem that people on reserves want better criteria but their elected leaders aren't doing anything about it so the people want the federal gov't to step in and force their elected leaders to do something?
Yes and no.

To me, it's an example of trying to force the federal govt to spend money on a problem that could be easily solved by aboriginals moving to cities and towns where everyone has clean water and sanitation.
I'd hazard a guess, that building water treatment facilities for the small communities in question, would be far cheaper then your silly act of fascism.

And because she can no longer get public support, she must resort to international law.
The UN aside. You do realise that Canada is subject to International law right?

She states that Canada ought to be sovereign over its water, yet bend to international organzations like the UN when it makes decisions on water.
Because she's not jeopardizing the sovereignty of our water, when she's talking about domestic use.

You're funny when you don't understand what you're talking about.

I bet it bugs the crap out of you when a dirty injin like me knows more about international law, law in general, history as a whole and so on, than you eh?

There is a certain amount of logic in what dumpy says.
Purely by accident.
Ignoring the cultural differences for a moment how many of us would stay in a community that has over 85% of the population on welfare?
How many of us were forced to the communities?

Now, before you tell me that was an act in antiquity, which I agree. I moved off the res, and stay off. I questioned the portion of a youth program I'm involved in called "Living in a colonized society".

You have to understand that we have a living history. Our past, culturally, isn't just the past, it is a great part of who we are. That has draw backs. What we are talking about here, is one of those draw backs.

The positives, IMHO, out weigh the draw backs. They didn't always.
We would move to where there are jobs, schools etc or at least find a camp job somewhere so we could support our families.
Unless of course it meant a feeling of abandoning what you have left.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
To me, it's an example of trying to force the federal govt to spend money on a problem that could be easily solved by aboriginals moving to cities and towns where everyone has clean water and sanitation. Allying with aboriginals to me is a sign Maude Barlow is no longer progressive, she is now reactionary and does not deserve support. And because she can no longer get public support, she must resort to international law.

She states that Canada ought to be sovereign over its water, yet bend to international organzations like the UN when it makes decisions on water. She can't have it both ways. Other countries cannot force us to create rights in water if we do not decide ourselves, by ourselves to do it. And we have not. The federal govt can ignore the UN on this issue.

To you maybe that what this issue is about.

To me, it is much simpler.

Canada is a nation with a high standard of living, we are not a third world country. There is no sane, rational reason why anyone residing in Canada should not be able to obtain safe, clean water. I'm fairly certain that the government, through CIDA, provides support to charitable organizations that have a mandate to provide clean safe water in third world countries. In other words, our tax dollars.

Why it is such a contentious issue for the government (ie. our tax dollars) to pay, in whole or in part, for that basic standard level of living for entire communities of people within our own nation completely baffles me.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Canada is a nation with a high standard of living, we are not a third world country. There is no sane, rational reason why anyone residing in Canada should not be able to obtain safe, clean water. I'm fairly certain that the government, through CIDA, provides support to charitable organizations that have a mandate to provide clean safe water in third world countries. In other words, our tax dollars.
The Canadian Armed Forces have a water filtration system, that can be deployed anywhere in the world, within 48 hours. In fact it was, right after the a tsunami hit southeast Asian a few years back. While Kashechewan suffered.

Why it is such a contentious issue for the government (ie. our tax dollars) to pay, in whole or in part, for that basic standard level of living for entire communities of people within our own nation completely baffles me.
Because dirty injins are involved.

I can't think of any other explanation for why someone would throw fact and reason out the window. Instead hanging onto myth, lies and innuendo perpetually.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
To you maybe that what this issue is about.

To me, it is much simpler.

One suggestion (and that's all it is) Perhaps when a community is first established with a handful of people there is enough potable water, but as the population grows the supply maybe insufficient and it might be cheaper to relocate the community than obtain sufficient potable water to meet the demand. :smile:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
One suggestion (and that's all it is) Perhaps when a community is first established with a handful of people there is enough potable water, but as the population grows the supply maybe insufficient and it might be cheaper to relocate the community than obtain sufficient potable water to meet the demand. :smile:
Not even in the slightest.

Moving an entire community, is costly. Take into consideration, many of these communities are fly in only. Then you have the costly logistics of packing an moving tons of belongings. Then you have to have adequate housing for the community, in the new location.

They'd still be on public assistance and there is no guarantee that they would get off it.

Then you have the iisue of substance abuse.

You know remove middlemen. Making both access and cost, more attainable.

The cost of a water treatment facility, upgrading or training, would pale in comparison, IMHO.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not even in the slightest.

Moving an entire community, is costly. Take into consideration, many of these communities are fly in only. Then you have the costly logistics of packing an moving tons of belongings. Then you have to have adequate housing for the community, in the new location.

They'd still be on public assistance and there is no guarantee that they would get off it.

Then you have the iisue of substance abuse.

You know remove middlemen. Making both access and cost, more attainable.

The cost of a water treatment facility, upgrading or training, would pale in comparison, IMHO.

O.K. Bear, it was just a thought (dumb perhaps) :smile:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
O.K. Bear, it was just a thought (dumb perhaps) :smile:
Some thoughts are dumb, yours however, was not. Just like when dumpy mentioned it.

The difference being, one of you is thinking of solving a problem for humanitarian reasons. While the other is being prejudicially materialistic.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

But we're not talking about "a" community here, but mutiple communities in various locations across the nation. That's a key difference in my view.

The Canadian Armed Forces have a water filtration system, that can be deployed anywhere in the world, within 48 hours. In fact it was, right after the a tsunami hit southeast Asian a few years back. While Kashechewan suffered.

Because dirty injins are involved.

I can't think of any other explanation for why someone would throw fact and reason out the window. Instead hanging onto myth, lies and innuendo perpetually.

I've no doubt that bigotry and prejudice are behind it. It's easier, I guess, for some to hold onto "us vs them" rather than do a little introspection and evaluate simple "right vs wrong". I don't pretend to understand it.

But I also can't understand where we generally, as Canadians, can accept the fact that providing financial assistance (clean water projects, etc) to another nation assists in their development and ability to progress towards self sufficiency but are so damned resistant, again generally speaking, to the idea that it would promote the exact same thing within communities here at home. There is a flaw in the logic there for me, but I guess it just leads us right back to stereotypes and bigoted attitudes.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
What they can and what they should do are miles apart. It's outrageous that a nation as wealthy as us will not provide clean drinking water to all within our borders.

Okay, so we provide water. Like we have provided housing for aboriginals. Then five years later it's all a wreck. This is as they say, is not a sustainable development.

Giving people things merely enables them. Props them up like a crutch, and they expect to keep this crutch forever. That's not what the crutch is for, but that is the logic of people living a subsistence existence-we want just enough for now, and when we need more, we'll let you know to send us more.

Barlow is an enabler, that's her psychological makeup, she is not modern. She is quite willing to use other people's money to continue patterns of dependency and enabling.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
When people drill a well, there is no guarantee that the water is safe to drink. The water we had smelled not so good and turned everything yellow ... from the iron. It's easy enough to get a water test done to determine whether it's safe to drink, and easy enough to get a water dispenser if it's not safe ... or boil the water before drinking. Lots of people are in that situation from time to time ... even people in big cities.

If the water safety criteria on reserves is different than what the people find acceptable, why don't they modify the criteria. Aren't reserves self-governing? Is the problem that people on reserves want better criteria but their elected leaders aren't doing anything about it so the people want the federal gov't to step in and force their elected leaders to do something?

I may be mistaken but I believe the yellow is actually from sulphur in the water which would also account for the smell.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
And many are more articulate in their speech than most "white men". I always understood that Regina is a big city. The reserve of which you speak is on Nootka Island.

The aboriginal reserve I'm talking about is Kingcome in BC. They said on the CBC news last year during a flood that there was no access road there. Every now and then you hear there are reserves that the only way in is by boat or plane and they are not islands.

Regina is a big city if you come from a settlement of a few hundred or few thousand people. Slow, wide open spaces, and no traffic jams to speak of. Unlike the daily Trans Canada parking lot during rush hour in Metro Vancouver.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Okay, so we provide water. Like we have provided housing for aboriginals. Then five years later it's all a wreck. This is as they say, is not a sustainable development.

Giving people things merely enables them. Props them up like a crutch, and they expect to keep this crutch forever. That's not what the crutch is for, but that is the logic of people living a subsistence existence-we want just enough for now, and when we need more, we'll let you know to send us more.

Barlow is an enabler, that's her psychological makeup, she is not modern. She is quite willing to use other people's money to continue patterns of dependency and enabling.

We took so much away from the first nations in the beginning, ground their traditions into mash, to please
ourselves, and make them into something they are not, then pushed them onto reservations and gave them
just enough to stay alive, while causing their deaths in other ways, forced them to speak english, took
their children away from them and pushed them into english speaking homes, and watched them lose their
pride and culture under our big thumb, and from then on we belittle them for being a broken people who
couldn't push and shove their way up the ladder of success like us, and we are still doing that, and
bravo to those first nations who have become financially successful, and good luck to those who are
still trying to get back to living as they first did, and were so happy doing it.

Of course they still ask for 'things', we made them beg for 'things', gave them 'things', then criticize
them for doing it.

Its a good and lucky thing for 'us' that they have never gained military power to return all of the
crap we hurled at them, or we would have been driven back out into the oceans, to swim home to 'jolly ole' as fast as we could.

Supply them with water, and show them how to get water on their land if necessary, thru well digging etc.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
We took so much away from the first nations in the beginning, ground their traditions into mash, to please
ourselves, and make them into something they are not, then pushed them onto reservations and gave them
just enough to stay alive, while causing their deaths in other ways, forced them to speak english, took
their children away from them and pushed them into english speaking homes, and watched them lose their
pride and culture under our big thumb, and from then on we belittle them for being a broken people who
couldn't push and shove their way up the ladder of success like us, and we are still doing that, and
bravo to those first nations who have become financially successful, and good luck to those who are
still trying to get back to living as they first did, and were so happy doing it.

Of course they still ask for 'things', we made them beg for 'things', gave them 'things', then criticize
them for doing it.

Its a good and lucky thing for 'us' that they have never gained military power to return all of the
crap we hurled at them, or we would have been driven back out into the oceans, to swim home to 'jolly ole' as fast as we could.

Supply them with water, and show them how to get water on their land if necessary, thru well digging etc.

The fur trade and hunting days are long over for everyone, to pretend they will ever return, is absurd. Those who think they will, and use resources to do so, are enablers, liars, charlatans and crooks.

Water supplies require technical and mechanical skills that aboriginals in the main do not have. They want money to pay whites to supply and maintain clean water systems. I would like that too. Aboriginals lack industry, but they want the benefits of industry without paying for it, economically or psychologically. Once you become industrious, you lose your subsistence mentality.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The aboriginal reserve I'm talking about is Kingcome in BC. They said on the CBC news last year during a flood that there was no access road there. Every now and then you hear there are reserves that the only way in is by boat or plane and they are not islands.

Regina is a big city if you come from a settlement of a few hundred or few thousand people. Slow, wide open spaces, and no traffic jams to speak of. Unlike the daily Trans Canada parking lot during rush hour in Metro Vancouver.

And for damn good reason. The coast of British Columbia is a series of fjords that extend back into the coast mountains (some as high as 13,000') Beyond the coast mountains it's another 200 miles by crow over rugged terrain to the nearest highway, as opposed to a 30 minute trip by water or 15 minutes by air.

them for doing it.

I nominate you poster of the week. :smile:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The fur trade and hunting days are long over for everyone, to pretend they will ever return, is absurd. Those who think they will, and use resources to do so, are enablers, liars, charlatans and crooks.

Water supplies require technical and mechanical skills that aboriginals in the main do not have. They want money to pay whites to supply and maintain clean water systems. I would like that too. Aboriginals lack industry, but they want the benefits of industry without paying for it, economically or psychologically. Once you become industrious, you lose your subsistence mentality.
There is one major fly in your ointment of bigoted silliness - our civilization is on the verge of self destruction because we are economically and morally bankrupt, as your rants clearly show. We have raped and pillaged this planet and are now beginning to experience the blowback from 200 years of creating hell in paradise. It will be the traditional knowledge of the indigenous people that will lead us back to the wilderness (what is left of it) so the humanity can survive our own stupidity.

You will probably still be trying to figure out how to open your can of Spaghetti-Os long after the power grid has gone down.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Some do, some don't! Why tar them all with the same brush?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
And for damn good reason. The coast of British Columbia is a series of fjords that extend back into the coast mountains (some as high as 13,000') Beyond the coast mountains it's another 200 miles by crow over rugged terrain to the nearest highway, as opposed to a 30 minute trip by water or 15 minutes by air.

So you indirectly admit I was correct. I was not talking about the Nootka or an aboriginal people living on an island which cannot have an access road.