Good thing there is no death penalty here.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What part of this paragraph is wrong?

Pardons Canada, to my understanding anyway, has long been "rubber stamping" pardons. Just because you may be entitled to apply for a pardon it should not necessarily follow that you should be entitled to receive a pardon. Homolka got all the big press of course, but if I recall correctly, it was also around the same time that it was reported that, three years after release from prison, Graham James also received his pardon. And I believe he then went to Spain and then Mexico to coach junior hockey there. Kind of seems like an accident waiting to happen, doesn't it? But that doesn't mean I think pardons themselves are a bad idea. In fact, I've known people who've received them and, in my opinion, they've earned them. Operative word being earned.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
What started me on this was SLM's incredibly uninformed and naive post #19.

To go and opine on a subject you know nothing about and then parrot the politically correct nonsense is the height of hypocrisy/ignorance. And then, when I found someone to protect and defend this ignorance, I responded with facts.

So, it's all water under the bridge. Ignorance is to be excused. Yes, it should be with APOLOGY.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Jumping to Yukon Jack's defence, it's quite plain he did in post #21, I quote......." SLM, do you realize that there is a great difference between 'pardon' and 'parole'?"

So since you're so keen to be Jacko's bulldog, perhaps you can find justification for Jack implying that she doesn't know the difference.

Make note where she refers to a pardon three years after being released from prison. You can't be paroled after you've been released from prison. Parole is one mechanism that releases someone from prison.

That post is about her misgivings with our justice system, and it touched on a number of subjects. Dangerous offenders do relate to parole, but there's not one indication in that post that she confused parole with pardon.

It's ridiculous that Jack is insulting members here because he thinks they're ignorant. He didn't even know what a pardon means when he absolutely agreed with your statement about pardons and innocence.

Thanks for the negative, whoever was deranged enough to give it.

I will honour it forever.

You're welcome Jack.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So since you're so keen to be Jacko's bulldog, perhaps you can find justification for Jack implying that she doesn't know the difference.

Make note where she refers to a pardon three years after being released from prison. You can't be paroled after you've been released from prison. Parole is one mechanism that releases someone from prison.

That post is about her misgivings with our justice system, and it touched on a number of subjects. Dangerous offenders do relate to parole, but there's not one indication in that post that she confused parole with pardon.

It's ridiculous that Jack is insulting members here because he thinks they're ignorant. He didn't even know what a pardon means when he absolutely agreed with your statement about pardons and innocence.

You're welcome Jack.

Yeah, he has a few "rough edges, I took it he was "asking" rather than "implying". :smile:

Tonington; And no said:
Is English your first language? Anyway English has what are known as idioms- an idiom is generally a phrase, the meaning of which can't always be correctly translated word by word. "Common Sense" actually means good sense. :smile:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
the death penalty should only be for those beyond any doubt

There have been many cases in which innocent people have been convicted because of evidence which established guilt beyond any doubt. The cases I am referring to are those where police planted evidence or where there was prosecutorial misconduct. There would be no way to reverse the execution of sentence for those innocents.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There have been many cases in which innocent people have been convicted because of evidence which established guilt beyond any doubt. The cases I am referring to are those where police planted evidence or where there was prosecutorial misconduct. There would be no way to reverse the execution of sentence for those innocents.

Very good points and one reason why I'm dead against capital punishment for a single crime.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah, he has a few "rough edges, I took it he was "asking" rather than "implying". :smile:

Is English your first language? You don't ask someone "Do you realize that A is not B?" unless you think they do not realize that A is not B. That question has an implicit assumption, by the nature of the form of the question...

Is English your first language? Anyway English has what are known as idioms- an idiom is generally a phrase, the meaning of which can't always be correctly translated word by word. "Common Sense" actually means good sense. :smile:
Yes, English is my only language, unless you consider programming language. Common sense means what most people consider good or sound judgement. That doesn't mean most people are correct. Common sense is influenced by herd effects.

I can list all sorts of things which were commonly held views in society across the globe and across time which turned out to be spectacularly wrong.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
At this stage I am not going back and search to point out where and when anyone ever talked about pardon or parole and how he/she mistook one for the other, let me just say that those know-it-alls who were - by rote - quick to condemn me, look up the definition of the two words, in a dictionary, that is Canadian-oriented.

In layman's language, let me repeat: PARDON is something that is granted by a high authority, whether a person is guilty or innocent. Has NOTHING to do with jurisprudence. A person with a PARDON is just like you and me, no guilt, no history, no blame, no shadow of a former conviction.

PAROLE is a condition a felon has to earn, going through the system, after conviction. It may or may not be granted, and it is never final, like a PARDON. A felon who EARNED a PAROLE is still subject to immediate re-incarceration, if he/she violates even the slightest condition of that PAROLE. While we talk about conditions, there are no conditions in the case of a PARDON.

Are we through discussing this non-issue?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
At this stage I am not going back and search to point out where and when anyone ever talked about pardon or parole and how he/she mistook one for the other, let me just say that those know-it-alls who were - by rote - quick to condemn me, look up the definition of the two words, in a dictionary, that is Canadian-oriented.

In layman's language, let me repeat: PARDON is something that is granted by a high authority, whether a person is guilty or innocent. Has NOTHING to do with jurisprudence. A person with a PARDON is just like you and me, no guilt, no history, no blame, no shadow of a former conviction.

PAROLE is a condition a felon has to earn, going through the system, after conviction. It may or may not be granted, and it is never final, like a PARDON. A felon who EARNED a PAROLE is still subject to immediate re-incarceration, if he/she violates even the slightest condition of that PAROLE. While we talk about conditions, there are no conditions in the case of a PARDON.

A little "heads up" for you- sometimes people take issue with how you say it more than what you say. I try to use this forum as an opportunity to learn and I learnt on this thread that pardon applies to guilt as well as innocense. I reserve such words as "idiot" and "ignorant" for obnoxious people that I try to piss off, AFTER I've tried other tactics first.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

What a fool you are. I all my years spent on message boards, and there are many, you take the cake for being unwilling to admit when you are wrong. And you are wrong. No matter how much you want to cover your tracks, diverge the issue, bully people off point and generally bugger around it won't change the fact that you're wrong, people called you on it and you blew your stack rather than accept that you didn't understand what was being said.

That, if those who raised you didn't bother to tell you is the indication of a small man. Which you have proven yourself to be over the many posts you've made here and this thread in particular. Everyone other than you can see the point SLM was making, that she was correct in making it and added to the thread with another important aspect of the issue. The rubber stamping of pardons by the system. You should apologize to SLM for insinuating that she doesn't understand the difference between Pardon and Parole and probably Karrie too as you took an uncalled for swipe at her for being nice enough to explain where you started with a small misunderstanding. Further you should take time to reflect on just how you blew a small misunderstanding on your part into a king size clusterfcuk for no better reason than your ego and pride.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
What a fool you are. I all my years spent on message boards, and there are many, you take the cake for being unwilling to admit when you are wrong. And you are wrong. No matter how much you want to cover your tracks, diverge the issue, bully people off point and generally bugger around it won't change the fact that you're wrong, people called you on it and you blew your stack rather than accept that you didn't understand what was being said.

That, if those who raised you didn't bother to tell you is the indication of a small man. Which you have proven yourself to be over the many posts you've made here and this thread in particular. Everyone other than you can see the point SLM was making, that she was correct in making it and added to the thread with another important aspect of the issue. The rubber stamping of pardons by the system. You should apologize to SLM for insinuating that she doesn't understand the difference between Pardon and Parole and probably Karrie too as you took an uncalled for swipe at her for being nice enough to explain where you started with a small misunderstanding. Further you should take time to reflect on just how you blew a small misunderstanding on your part into a king size clusterfcuk for no better reason than your ego and pride.

Unforgiven, do you know somebody in the System, who was convicted of first degree murder in 1989 and is about starting to see the daylight of PAROLE, not PARDON?

I did not think so, so your babble is just that, babble.

I owe apology to no one because - unlike you - I DO know what I am talking about.

You did not even have the brains or the courtesy of Google the difference between PAROLE and PARDON.

By now, I am sureeven SLM and karrie will tell you to slack off, you are WRONG!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Unforgiven, do you know somebody in the System, who was convicted of first degree murder in 1989 and is about starting to see the daylight of PAROLE, not PARDON?

I did not think so, so your babble is just that, babble.

Being eligible for doesn't mean you get parole. And for your edification I helped put someone away under the dangerous offenders act back in the 80s. He still rots way in federal prison where I expect he will end his days. You're a light weight in this discussion.

edited to include the add on you edited into your post:

I do know the difference between pardon and parole. I have no need to Google it. For that matter, most people in this thread have attempted to point that difference out to you. You're far too thick to manage to read through a whole message posted though. That is obvious.

Like the ignorance you show in not knowing the difference between slacking off and backing off, you're but fodder for some light amusement this morning.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
By now, I am sureeven SLM and karrie will tell you to slack off, you are WRONG!

Nope, but it's funny to watch how many times you've tried to declare yourself right while insulting other posters.

Pardon and parole are not the same thing, and she was very clearly talking about pardons when she was talking about pardons. Plain and simple.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Does the issue here actually warrant a major Donnybrook? :smile:

Do you even know what a Donnybrook is?

I'm sure that you meant 'kafuffle', and it's completely ridiculous for you to confuse the two. Why don't you go look up, in a Canadian dictionary, the meaning of KAFUFFLE and DONNYBROOK.

lol

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Does the issue here actually warrant a major Donnybrook? :smile:

She discussed someone applying for pardon 3 years after release, and has subsequently been called down and told she meant parole... like anyone can apply for parole AFTER they're released. Did it warrant that behaviour? Hell no. Is someone hell bent on bringing it? Apparently. :)