Good thing there is no death penalty here.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You are absolutely correct, JLM. It takes an exceptionally ignorant person not to see the facts.

I am not going to waste any more time on this topic, since I know that wrestling pigs only gets one dirty. And pigs like it.

Could both be right, pardons granted to guilty as well as innocent people? I'm pretty sure I'm right, but just didn't cover all situations. :smile:(I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure I heard Milgaard was pardoned)

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If you can't clarify where you got confused, that's fine, but don't try to blame it on others.

It is not I who is confused. I DO know the difference between PARDON and PAROLE, as I have posted.

DO YOU? If so, tell me and the world. Your explanation (or more likely, your spin) is awaited.

Could both be right, pardons granted to guilty as well as innocent people? I'm pretty sure I'm right, but just didn't cover all situations. :smile:

It does not matter to whom the pardon is granted. Pardon is NOT parole. Parole is earned by by felons who go through the channels: From Max to med. And then to minimum. It needs to be EARNED.

If a felon does not EARN it, he/she will not get parole. He/she will be in prison for life. But he/she still get a PARDON from the Prime Minister.

Hell, I am getting tired of arguing with uninformed idiots.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It is not I who is confused. I DO know the difference between PARDON and PAROLE, as I have posted.

DO YOU? If so, tell me and the world. Your explanation (or more likely, your spin) is awaited.

Parole is part of sentencing. Part of your sentence as determined by the court, may be served under parole (ie., out in world under court and sentencing restrictions).

A pardon is something you may apply for AFTER your sentence is served, that essentially locks your criminal record and keeps it from public view so that you may apply for jobs, travel, be bonded, etc., without your past impeding it.

Could both be right, pardons granted to guilty as well as innocent people? I'm pretty sure I'm right, but just didn't cover all situations. :smile:(I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure I heard Milgaard was pardoned)

No... a person proven innocent doesn't need a pardon.

Pardons Canada | Pardon FAQs

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Years ago one of our twins died unexpectedly at a month old. We fed them and changed them
and put them to bed. When I went in a short time later to check on them before we turned in
one of the girls was already blue. Today you ask what might have been? There is nothing that
can be done. Unfortunately this poor woman was traumatized twice, once by the death of her
child and secondly by the justice system which is designed to protect us all.
It should also be remembered the death penalty in Canada was not designed for circumstancial
evidence cases, as in committing manslaughter or a lesser charge than first degree murder.
I once totally condemned the death penalty in all cases, however today we have a whole new class
of evil on the streets. Child killers, violent rapists and people without a shred of conscience and
the belief the law does not apply to them. For this reason I think the death chamber door has to
be opened just a crack to accommodate some of these people.
I agree with the concept that it will not deter one person from killing someone, it will not give an
enraged person that pause for second thought. These cases were not designed with the death
penalty in mind anyway. Death penalty cases are and should be reserved for those who
commit a violent crime with forethought and planning. Contract killings, killing police or judges,
raping and killing women and kids, that sort of thing.
I also think it should be extended to human traffickers, hard core drug dealers who sell to
children. There is a difference between selling to adults who can make up their own minds to
engage in stupidity and kooking children into the drug world.
It must also be cases where the evidence is more than circumstantial. Today DNA and other
evidence is much more clearly defined, however case like this demand that the evidence be
strong and accurate.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

I'm positive you're not.

Read about eligibility here:
Pardons

Eligibility Information

A person applying for a pardon must have done the following:

• completed their sentence (including parole) and have paid any fine or financial penalty
  • completed any probation period
  • have served a required waiting period
  • demonstrated that he or she is a law-abiding citizen
  • other criteria may apply

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You are absolutely correct, JLM. It takes an exceptionally ignorant person not to see the facts.

I am not going to waste any more time on this topic, since I know that wrestling pigs only gets one dirty. And pigs like it.

Yukon Jack- We don't want to get W.W.3 started here, I have no reason to question Karrie about the example she gave, so I have to defer to that and admit I'm not "absolutely correct", albeit damn close. :lol:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Maybe you do, but your post quoting SLM didn't offer any evidence of that. Be an honourable man and admit you misunderstood what was written.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm positive you're not.

Read about eligibility here:
Pardons

Eligibility Information

A person applying for a pardon must have done the following:

• completed their sentence (including parole) and have paid any fine or financial penalty
  • completed any probation period
  • have served a required waiting period
  • demonstrated that he or she is a law-abiding citizen
  • other criteria may apply

Tonington- I have absolutely no argument with that as it applies to a rightfully convicted person, but if after conviction the person was found to be innocent, common sense would tell me that would preclude those conditions. Or are we not into common sense? :smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yukon Jack- We don't want to get W.W.3 started here, I have no reason to question Karrie about the example she gave, so I have to defer to that and admit I'm not "absolutely correct", albeit damn close. :lol:

lol... JLM... you don't start world war 3 if you say 'this is what I thought it meant', someone says 'no actually it means this in a legal sense', and you say 'ah, okay.'. It's when you say 'you're an idiot for thinking otherwise' or the other person says 'I can't believe you're so stupid you didn't know that', that WW3 erupts. Like SLM said, in colloquial terms, pardon tends to equate to being found innocent, not solely what it means in a legal sense.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Tonington- I have absolutely no argument with that as it applies to a rightfully convicted person

Which is a far cry different from your original claim that pardons relate to innocence, to which Jack replied you are "absolutely right", to which you then sounded unsure, though you were pretty sure you were right.

I took that to mean you still thought that your original claim was the correct one, which it clearly is not.

And no, I'm not into common sense, I'm into good sense. To me there's a huge difference.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Years ago one of our twins died unexpectedly at a month old. We fed them and changed them
and put them to bed. When I went in a short time later to check on them before we turned in
one of the girls was already blue. Today you ask what might have been? There is nothing that
can be done. Unfortunately this poor woman was traumatized twice, once by the death of her
child and secondly by the justice system which is designed to protect us all.
It should also be remembered the death penalty in Canada was not designed for circumstancial
evidence cases, as in committing manslaughter or a lesser charge than first degree murder.
I once totally condemned the death penalty in all cases, however today we have a whole new class
of evil on the streets. Child killers, violent rapists and people without a shred of conscience and
the belief the law does not apply to them. For this reason I think the death chamber door has to
be opened just a crack to accommodate some of these people.
I agree with the concept that it will not deter one person from killing someone, it will not give an
enraged person that pause for second thought. These cases were not designed with the death
penalty in mind anyway. Death penalty cases are and should be reserved for those who
commit a violent crime with forethought and planning. Contract killings, killing police or judges,
raping and killing women and kids, that sort of thing.
I also think it should be extended to human traffickers, hard core drug dealers who sell to
children. There is a difference between selling to adults who can make up their own minds to
engage in stupidity and kooking children into the drug world.
It must also be cases where the evidence is more than circumstantial. Today DNA and other
evidence is much more clearly defined, however case like this demand that the evidence be
strong and accurate.

I'd go one step further and say NEVER for a single crime- but yeah, Olson, Homolka, Bernardo, should have a seat in Old Sparky.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Tonington- I have absolutely no argument with that as it applies to a rightfully convicted person, but if after conviction the person was found to be innocent, common sense would tell me that would preclude those conditions. Or are we not into common sense? :smile:

I guess it comes down to the fact that a pardon is something you have to apply for, and be granted, in order to expunge your record. When found innocent, you are, simply put, innocent, and your record is expunged for you, no application, no 'being granted' the honour.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I am opposed to Capital Punishment, but she never would have recieved the death penalty for this.

We had a South Carolina woman drive her two children into a lake strapped in their car seats and she will be eligible for parole!

Not many women get the death penalty.

Yeah, that was that Smith Bitch- remember it vividly.

Maybe you do, but your post quoting SLM didn't offer any evidence of that. Be an honourable man and admit you misunderstood what was written.

Jumping to Yukon Jack's defence, it's quite plain he did in post #21, I quote......." SLM, do you realize that there is a great difference between 'pardon' and 'parole'?"

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah, that was that Smith Bitch- remember it vividly.

Jumping to Yukon Jack's defence, it's quite plain he did in post #21, I quote......." SLM, do you realize that there is a great difference between 'pardon' and 'parole'?"

But he still can't explain why he thought she was talking about parole when she was clearly discussing pardons. Man, this is starting to feel like a comedy skit.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
But he still can't explain why he thought she was talking about parole when she was clearly discussing pardons. Man, this is starting to feel like a comedy skit.

Advise to you, karrie and you, SLM:

Get a dictionary and educate yourself reading the definition of the two words PARDON and PAROLE.

Then get a cheap lawyer you can afford and let him/her explain to you the same difference, legally.

Then let him/her explain to you why you are wrong and I am right.

Comedy? More like a Grade II confrontation between the top and the bottom of the class, who started it.

Then once you have been properly spanked (figuratively) go and hide.