Sikhs Allowed To Carry Kirpan (knives) To Olympic Events

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sure, just give me a call. When you come to Canada, everyone is equal whether you like it or not. And many immigrants to Canada don't want or like equality because they want to be superior. Such is the thinking in traditional Asian cultures which is also done in aboriginal groups in Canada. You don't get a choice regarding the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
I could call you all you want but it won't get you the security job. I think you'd have to talk to the RCMP or something.
Everyone in Canada is equal? roflmao, perhaps in theory, but it sure isn't reality.

These Asian people come from class ridden societies where caste divides the low from the high and change is barely possible. Which causes among other things, honour killings, of mostly women. But also couples who marry against the will of local village elders. And if they don't return, their families back in the village are murdered.
I don't care about Asia. It's off-topic. Canadian Asians are fine. When homeless persons finally have homes, then we will all be equal in reality.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
However, I don't think we are going to make room for cannibal cultures (those still exist right?) so we are clearly willing to draw some lines.
Actually, cannabalistic societies still exist, yes, but the last I read, they are only symbolically cannabalistic.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I don't care what you want to call it, I don't think there's any need to carry concealed weapons in public in Canada. I don't care if it's a religious symbol or a sexual fetish.

Many of our personal rights are over ruled in favour of public safety, and I'm completely against this foolishness.

Exactly!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don't care what you want to call it, I don't think there's any need to carry concealed weapons in public in Canada. I don't care if it's a religious symbol or a sexual fetish.

Many of our personal rights are over ruled in favour of public safety, and I'm completely against this foolishness.

If there really was a danger to public safety, I would agree with you. Considerations of safety would trump religious freedom any day. However, RCMP has laid down reasonable guidelines. This, combined with the fact that to date there hasn’t been a single incidence involving kirpan, means that Sikhs get the benefit of doubt, in my opinion.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

R. J. Wiedemann LtCol. USMC Ret

If they are allowed to carry knives then I should be able to carry weapons also. The following quote is mine and many others creed. To us it is just as strong as any religious oath.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We
are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

TenPenny, we finally agree on something. The old saying 'when in Rome do as the Romans do' comes to mind here. If they want to wear their daggers they can go to their homeland and wear them there...

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Kirpan - Ceremonial Short Sword
Photo © [S Khalsa]

Sponsored Links

http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/...igion&utm_content=content-ad&utm_term=sikhism
Removed Advertisement Links.

Definition:

A Kirpan is a Sikh ceremonial short sword and is one of five kakar, or articles of faith, required to be worn by an Amritdhari Sikh, a Sikh who has been initiated into the order of Khalsa in the Amritsanchar, the baptismal ceremony of Sikh initiation.
  • The kirpan may be made of either steel or of iron.
  • The kirpan is worn in a sheath hung on a gatra, or strap, and slung over one shoulder.
  • The kirpan has no stipulated length. It is commonly between 3 - 9 inches and may be either blunt or sharpened.
  • The kirpan is to be worn on the body by the Amritdhari at all times, and is commonly secured to the turban by the gatra when bathing.
The kirpan historically was used for defense in battle and may be used in as a weapon only for self defense or to defend another innocent person from harm. Symbolically the kirpan is a reminder to the spiritual devotee to slay the ego. Ceremonial use of the kirpan involves it's being touched to karah prashad as a blessing during ardas, the Sikh prayer to impart the properties of steadfast strength which occur in steel to the soul.

This is carrying political correctness to far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

If they are allowed to carry knives then I should be able to carry weapons also. The following quote is mine and many others creed. To us it is just as strong as any religious oath.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We

Yankee drivel...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If there really was a danger to public safety, I would agree with you. Considerations of safety would trump religious freedom any day. However, RCMP has laid down reasonable guidelines. This, combined with the fact that to date there hasn’t been a single incidence involving kirpan, means that Sikhs get the benefit of doubt, in my opinion.

So, you're saying that people carrying concealed weapons aren't a problem? Then I guess Colpy can bring his Browning to the Seadogs games (let me know what section you're in, would ya?).

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
......except that teenager in Montreal a while back....but I think that one is still
ongoing so it might not count yet (trial may not be done, etc...).

He should be honored that he got stabbed with it then so as to not offend anyone.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Ironsides, I understand these days you can carry a rifle just about anywhere (in USA that is), to the bar, to the library, even to the Church. Many states (especially most of the Bible Belt ones) allow you to carry concealed weapons almost anywhere. So what is your beef?

You creed has already been recognized as valid in USA.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
So, you're saying that people carrying concealed weapons aren't a problem? Then I guess Colpy can bring his Browning to the Seadogs games (let me know what section you're in, would ya?).

People carrying a short ceremonial dagger is not the problem. If somebody wants to carry a gun, a rifle, a hand grenade to the Olympics, claming that it is a religious symbol, that definitely would be a problem. As I mentioned in the previous posit, you can carry a concealed weapon just about anywhere in USA, but not in Canada.

As I said before, safety considerations trump religious freedom. When a religion mandates something, every reasonable attempt should be made to accommodate the religious beliefs. Such an attempt was made here.

If you are talking of carrying concealed gun, rifle, or even a foot long knife, that definitely would be a problem.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
As I said before, safety considerations trump religious freedom. When a religion mandates something, every reasonable attempt should be made to accommodate the religious beliefs.

Many people's religious beliefs mandate that they must take steps to protect the unborn. I wonder if you have a problem with that. Some religious beliefs are such that a woman can not refuse her husband. I guess you're probably good with that as well.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
TenPenny, we finally agree on something. The old saying 'when in Rome do as the Romans do' comes to mind here. If they want to wear their daggers they can go to their homeland and wear them there...
Cool. Where did your people come from. Mine have been around Canada for some 12,000 years. Get off my island.
Once someone is accepted as an immigrated Canadian, their homeland is Canada.
lmao