Sikhs Allowed To Carry Kirpan (knives) To Olympic Events

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This is one of the most blatant examples of PC hypocrisy I've ever heard of. It really pissed me off. :angryfire:

Yup! This is getting beyond absurd. If one religious observance is objectionable, they all should be or none at all. Political correctness has finally come back to byte us.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ludicrous. PC runs amok again.

I cannot even begin to fathom what kind of crack these people are smoking if they think a religion is grounds to carry a weapon where no others would be allowed to. They need to step back and think about what they're expecting us to swallow.

And Johnny you're right - if long standing Canadian traditional customs are being mangled in favour of Politifecal Correctness (ie how Christmas, Halloween etc are (not)celebrated in our schools) then religions that expect such concessions from us should damn well be willing to concede a few of their own customs that might be offensive to us... like... oh I dunno... carrying concealed friggin weapons to public events?!?!!

This is one of the most blatant examples of PC hypocrisy I've ever heard of. It really pissed me off. :angryfire:

Zan. I think I love you...;-):lol:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Yup! This is getting beyond absurd. If one religious observance is objectionable, they all should be or none at all. Political correctness has finally come back to byte us.

Yep - PC in it's original incarnation wasn't such a bad idea - but it's been bastardized so badly since then it's almost impossible to recognize the message of mutual tolerance it was initially meant to inspire.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Cliffy, to me that seems patently ridiculous.......

The offense here is NOT religious observance, it is the carrying of weapons.

I take another tack.......if he can carry his kirpan with impunity, then I should be allowed to carry my Browning P-35 9mm with impunity. Same thing....he is sworn never to go unarmed in defence of his religion, I believe it is the duty of all good citizens to go armed in defence of their freedom.

Each is a matter of conscience.......who is the government to decide one is valid, the other is not?

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
gerry, I might need you to clarify your intent with that post. Are you saying that it's intolerant to object to somebody carrying weapons? I hope not, but if so, then for the first time in my life to my knowledge, I'll wear that label. I believe it's not a matter of tolerance, it's a matter of good common sense being hijacked under the guise of PC.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
gerry, I might need you to clarify your intent with that post. Are you saying that it's intolerant to object to somebody carrying weapons? I hope not, but if so, then for the first time in my life to my knowledge, I'll wear that label. I believe it's not a matter of tolerance, it's a matter of good common sense being hijacked under the guise of PC.

I think it is intolerant to object to somebody carrying weapons.... :) Surprized??????

Seriously...I do not understand why certain segments of the population are allowed to carry arms, and some are not. It is the absolute antithesis of the theory of equality under the law.

Of course, there are some that would accuse me of being a few rounds short of a full magazine.....

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

I posted a link to the basic what's, why's, and reason's for the 5 K's of Baptised Sihks. If after reading it, you still don't understand why Baptised Sihks are required to wear the Kirpan, then there is nothing else I can say.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
understanding why they wear them is the same thing as thinking there ought to be exceptions to security rules?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
understanding why they wear them is the same thing as thinking there ought to be exceptions to security rules?

Obviously, the RCMP don't feel that it is a security threat. Baptised Sihks will be wearing ALL 5 K's, so anyone JUST wearing a Kirpan is not a true follower of Khalsa. The RCMP have that covered. True followers of Khalsa would NOT be a security threat OR a danger to the public.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I posted a link to the basic what's, why's, and reason's for the 5 K's of Baptised Sihks. If after reading it, you still don't understand why Baptised Sihks are required to wear the Kirpan, then there is nothing else I can say.

Would you like me to post some links to sites explaining the ancient right to keep and BEAR arms? It is about 1,000 years older than the Sikh religion, and carries a hell of a lot more validity in my philosophy.....

If one, all.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

We have a running argument with the Sikhs where I live about how unfair it is that we blatantly celebrate Christmas which, I guess, makes the Sikhs feel left out or something. I can't tell you how much I don't care about how they feel. It is time Canadian traditions and laws were respected.

Reactions: DurkaDurka

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think it is intolerant to object to somebody carrying weapons.... :) Surprized??????

Seriously...I do not understand why certain segments of the population are allowed to carry arms, and some are not. It is the absolute antithesis of the theory of equality under the law.

Of course, there are some that would accuse me of being a few rounds short of a full magazine.....
Actually, this is another thing we can agree on. I believe that when a government is in the process of curtailing rights, it is the duty of its citizens to arm themselves against this assault on their freedoms. Although I am a pacifist when it comes to wars with other nations, I believe that revolution against tyranny is a perfectly legitimate response.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Obviously, the RCMP don't feel that it is a security threat. Baptised Sihks will be wearing ALL 5 K's, so anyone JUST wearing a Kirpan is not a true follower of Khalsa. The RCMP have that covered. True followers of Khalsa would NOT be a security threat OR a danger to the public.

Does wearing all 5 K's ensure one is a 'true' follower, and not just someone who was smart enough to figure out how to get a knife in? What would prevent someone from posing?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Does wearing all 5 K's ensure one is a 'true' follower, and not just someone who was smart enough to figure out how to get a knife in? What would prevent someone from posing?

Ok.Karrie....quickly...what are the 5 K's....... now tell me how a non believer is gonna pull that off.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB

lol - no suprise there Colpy - I get where you're coming from - which is imo, a completely different perspective on the situation.
Yes, if we were talking soley about the principle that what's right for one should be right for all... I'd agree with you... but you're talking about the right to bear arms - and in that context I can't agree.

I don't think it makes good sense to have us all equipped with weaponry.... if we're stupid enough to allow only selective groups of citizens (who are NOT law enforcement - but rather *shudder* religiously qualified) to carry weapons, I quiver in my boots to think how idiotic we'd be collectively romping around armed. Yikes. Darwin would be chortling up a storm while the stoopids outgunned the stoopiders.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Ok.Karrie....quickly...what are the 5 K's....... now tell me how a non believer is gonna pull that off.

A turban covers the hair, that's pretty easy to 'fake'. A comb, a bracelet, a kirpan, and some cotton underwear.... I'm sure all are available for purchase in assorted areas.

Now... do I think anyone would go to the trouble? No... not really. But, do I think it's right to have double standards on the basis of religious freedom when it doesn't affect access to work, or to government? No.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB

Gerry. C'mon now. Apples and oranges. What constitutes a full Kirpan has absolutely NO bearing on the right to bear arms in this context. I'm sorry gerry, but as much as I welcome any and all other nationalities and religions to make MY country THEIR new home, I do expect them to at the very least, respect and abide the same laws we do. Likewise, if I am expected to ammend some of the aspects of MY life that have previously defined ME culturally, then there should be a reasonable expectation of the same respect and reciprocity.

To be completely honest with you, if there's any intolerance going on here, I submit that it's actually coming from those who would ask something from us that carries an inherent risk to the general public, and is not condoned within our own laws.

I'm not interested in the argument that a true Sikh wouldn't pose a threat either - armed or not - it's not at all relevent to this discussion. What's relevent is that NOBODY should be carrying weapons to public venues. I'll repeat myself - it's not about religious intolerance, it's about common sense, and public safety.

Quite.

sorry, I'm thinking it's another example of the PC snowball rolling downhill, not related to what the RCMP think is a security threat or not.

... and ya, there is that too...

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A turban covers the hair, that's pretty easy to 'fake'. A comb, a bracelet, a kirpan, and some cotton underwear.... I'm sure all are available for purchase in assorted areas.

Now... do I think anyone would go to the trouble? No... not really. But, do I think it's right to have double standards on the basis of religious freedom when it doesn't affect access to work, or to government? No.

and the RCMP have already stated that it's all or nothing, which a Baptised Sihk will already be doing. For the RCMP to know whether it is all or nothing they would have the option and ability to check. The unshorn hair would be pretty damn hard to fake.

A Baptised Sihk MUST wear the 5 K's. There is no double standard, there is the allowance of religeous freedom. Reread the link I supplied, it tells you what the Kirpan means and what it can be used for. Use as an offensive weapon is not one of them.

Just because "westerners" have a problem keeping knives out of other peoples body's doen't mean a Baptised Sihk will have the same problem.