There will be a Liberal-NDP-Bloc Coalition

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The TSE certainly didn't like the goings on in Ottawa. It took quite the tumble. Obviously they don't like the thought of the three stooges being in power...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Everything i over but the shouting. The three parties have announced their intentions to defeat the Harper government at the earliest opportunity. They just held a news conference on CBC.

Comments?

I'm just wondering what our status will be as opposed to a Democracy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The TSE certainly didn't like the goings on in Ottawa. It took quite the tumble. Obviously they don't like the thought of the three stooges being in power...
Yeah, that and the falling price of commodities, but I don't think it would matter if Jesus Christ was prime minister we'd still be in this slump for awhile.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Thats true, however, I did see the option of electing a party that will work towards getting their policies in place. Which is what they are doing.

Again, I did not see any 'Elect a minority government' option.

What who is doing??? I will repeat 'no three stooges' option on the ballot.

The Conservatives were trying to work towards their policies, but the three stooges are trying to stop that. You make no sense.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
We are governed by representatives we elect to serve our best interests. We do not vote for a party; we do not vote for a prime minister. This is not a republic. The elected representative who serves as prime minister serves at the pleasure of the House. Regardless of what you or I may think of the "coalition of the willing," it is consistent with our constitution and our parliamentary traditions.

What is ineffably tragic is the hubris of Stephen Harper. What he saw in the last election was an opportunity to serve his opponents right, rather than to rightly serve the nation, which he was initially given the mantel by the Governor General to do.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

The Conservatives were trying to work towards their policies, but the three stooges are trying to stop that. You make no sense.

You made a positive assertion that Canadians voted for a Conservative minority. I am suggesting that this is not true. I am suggesting that there was no option for Conservative minority government on the ballot. I am suggesting that, in fact, Canadians voted for the party that reflected their values, logically assuming that that party would work towards ensuring that their values are enacted into law. I am suggesting that the opposition parties are doing just this - doing their best to get their party policies enacted into law.

This is especially true considering the Mr. Harper's policy of ignoring and bullying opposition parties.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

In the months since the last election, I have yet to hear what Harper's economic policies are. The opposition parties have been trying to get Harper to move in a direction that will stimulate the economy but Harper can offer only stalling and no action. That the opposition ganged up on Harper was entirely predictable. Harper was trying to govern like he had a majority and he clearly didn't. He had plenty of chances to negotiate with the opposition but he chose not to.

The only stooge was Harper.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
You know, I think this coalition can work. Maybe it is time we stopped thinking the only way to govern is with a majority. The leader of a majority is a little too much like a dictator, while the leader of a coalition has to please not only his party but also the members of the coalition. I would give this lot a chance to see if they can work together. If they can, it will be a big step in the right direction.

Juan, sure the coalition can work, they have a written agreement. If they stick to the agreed upon agenda, they can govern for a year and a half at least, assuming the coalition does not destroy itself by infighting. But stick to the agreed upon agenda and they should be all right.

Maybe it is time we stopped thinking the only way to govern is with a majority.

I disagree, I think majority is the very foundation of democracy. In a democracy, majority rules. But the point is, Conservatives do not have a majority.

I would give this lot a chance to see if they can work together. If they can, it will be a big step in the right

Oh, they can work together all right. The only pitfall I see is if their egos get in the way of cooperation and the coalition destroys itself.

But normally that is how it works. Coalition governments die from within, minority governments die from without. Coalition government usually have more than 50% of the support, they die by infighting. Minority governments are very solid internally, but they die as a result of losing the no confidence vote in the Parliament.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Sorry, Risus, you can’t blame the plunge in TSX on the political instability (though no doubt it was a contributing factor). Dow plunged almost as much as TSX, NASDAQ plunged as much as TSX.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM, status of democracy? Democracy is safe and sound in Canada.

Not when we get a government hoisted on us that "the people" didn't vote for. I suppose you may argue that the Harper gov't wasn't what the majority wanted either but at least we got what we "expected" under the rules we voted under.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan, sure the coalition can work, they have a written agreement. If they stick to the agreed upon agenda, they can govern for a year and a half at least, assuming the coalition does not destroy itself by infighting. But stick to the agreed upon agenda and they should be all right.

Maybe it is time we stopped thinking the only way to govern is with a majority.

I disagree, I think majority is the very foundation of democracy. In a democracy, majority rules. But the point is, Conservatives do not have a majority.
But the coalition does have a majority as long as they stick to the plan.

I would give this lot a chance to see if they can work together. If they can, it will be a big step in the right

Oh, they can work together all right. The only pitfall I see is if their egos get in the way of cooperation and the coalition destroys itself.

But normally that is how it works. Coalition governments die from within, minority governments die from without. Coalition government usually have more than 50% of the support, they die by infighting. Minority governments are very solid internally, but they die as a result of losing the no confidence vote in the Parliament.

Agree generally but a coalition that have signed an agreement to support the government is not something we've had before. It might be an excellent idea.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Not when we get a government hoisted on us that "the people" didn't vote for. I suppose you may argue that the Harper gov't wasn't what the majority wanted either but at least we got what we "expected" under the rules we voted under.

JLM, it may come as news to you, but people do not vote for a government, they vote for an MP in their riding. When they vote, they have no idea which party is going to form the government.

And how do you know what we expected under the rules? How do you know what anybody expected? I am sure people who voted for liberals were expecting a Liberal government (although they probably were not very optimistic). People who voted for NDP were probably expecting that NDP will play a pivotal part in any government.

Different people have different expectations when they vote in an election, people don’t uniformly have the same expectation.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM, it may come as news to you, but people do not vote for a government, they vote for an MP in their riding. When they vote, they have no idea which party is going to form the government.

And how do you know what we expected under the rules? How do you know what anybody expected? I am sure people who voted for liberals were expecting a Liberal government (although they probably were not very optimistic). People who voted for NDP were probably expecting that NDP will play a pivotal part in any government.

Different people have different expectations when they vote in an election, people don’t uniformly have the same expectation.

Sorry Sir Rupe, it doesn't come as news to me, I'm fully cognizant of the and I think most of us who follow politics at all had a pretty good idea on roughlyhow the numbers, would break down (although I must admit I figured the Liberals were good for 10 more seats than what they got).

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

What a load of baloney. You got the MP who won your riding. Everything else is a toss-up. The same MPs are in parliament as were there yesterday. This coalition is probably a better representation of the people than were the conservatives and it is still under the "rules".