There will be a Liberal-NDP-Bloc Coalition

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You know, I think this coalition can work. Maybe it is time we stopped thinking the only way to govern is with a majority. The leader of a majority is a little too much like a dictator, while the leader of a coalition has to please not only his party but also the members of the coalition. I would give this lot a chance to see if they can work together. If they can, it will be a big step in the right direction.

I assume, as you are usually dead-set against deficit, that you missed the part about a stimilus package worth (and I quote) "tens of billions" of dollars.

Hmmmmm, into debt big-time we go.........

And believe me, as sure as God made little green apples, a largely disproportionate share goes to Quebec, making the Separatists heros at our expense.

Sheer, unadulterated lunacy.

Oh, no, I'm wrong.

lunacy adulterated with a dash of sedition.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
We'll have to see what the voters think when the leadership convention is held in the spring for the liberals, assuming they call an election afterwards. There are a lot of Liberal voters out there who would be disgusted with the Liberals joining them selves to the NDP & Bloc.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I assume, as you are usually dead-set against deficit, that you missed the part about a stimilus package worth (and I quote) "tens of billions" of dollars.

Hmmmmm, into debt big-time we go.........

And believe me, as sure as God made little green apples, a largely disproportionate share goes to Quebec, making the Separatists heros at our expense.

Sheer, unadulterated lunacy.

Oh, no, I'm wrong.

lunacy adulterated with a dash of sedition.

Good God Colpy
This is not some armed junta that charged into the house and demanded power. Everything was above board and legal. The coalition represents three of the four parties in the house.....All democratically elected......You are in favor of majority rule aren't you...
Lunacy was sticking with Harper.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
We'll have to see what the voters think when the leadership convention is held in the spring for the liberals, assuming they call an election afterwards. There are a lot of Liberal voters out there who would be disgusted with the Liberals joining them selves to the NDP & Bloc.

Supposedly the coalition is to last two and one half years.

So, we get as PM Dion, who very few people wanted, in partnership with Jack Layton, who practically nobody wanted, supported by Gilles Duceppe, whom absolutely nobody wanted.......until the Liberals have a convention 6 months down the road, the we get a new PM for two years........that has not won a national election.

Yep.....an exercise in democracy. Uh-huh.

The one small little iota of good that might come out of this.........election early in 2011.....can you say BIG Conservative majority?????

Unfortunately, the country will be in the dung heap by that time........

Reactions: Andem

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What a load of baloney. You got the MP who won your riding. Everything else is a toss-up. The same MPs are in parliament as were there yesterday. This coalition is probably a better representation of the people than were the conservatives and it is still under the "rules".

You got a point there but not a very valid one, if I'd have wanted a coalition - no forget it there was no Bloc Candidate on my ballot.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Good God Colpy
This is not some armed junta that charged into the house and demanded power. Everything was above board and legal. The coalition represents three of the four parties in the house.....All democratically elected......You are in favor of majority rule aren't you...
Lunacy was sticking with Harper.

I'm certainly not arguing the legality of it....the GG has little choice but to ask Dion to try and form a gov't if the gov't falls this soon after an election....all well and good.

But the SEPARATISTS!!!! I can't believe these two mono-maniacal morons can't see past their own meglomaniacal noses to the disaster they are formenting in this nation. You simply don't let the bloody BQ have influence in the national gov't. It is simply idiotic.

I mean, look at this.....they have already agreed to eliminate bi-lingual Federal services in Quebec......

Now wait for the Quebec-bound cash cow....jut outrageous!

At least when these idiots were engaged in the mobster-style Sponsorship scandals under Chretien, they were stealing our money for the Liberal Party.....which are at least Federalist scum.....now they're gonna hand our money to the Bloc......supporting Separatism.....which is a whiff of sedition to me.

there is ONE National Party in this country, the one that won the last election, the CPC.

These idiots are going to promote the Bloc, and alienate the West.........

The country will suffer.

Mark my words.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
So the Liberals just get to annoint a new PM come spring? Lovely. If they had any balls they would call an election to see what the population thinks of their whoring.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Flaherty sounded unusually subdued. While his future was not discussed, questions about his role as finance minister can be expected now that the economic strategy has blown up in the government's face

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
There will be a Liberal-NDP-Bloc Coalition

Supposedly the coalition is to last two and one half years.

So, we get as PM Dion, who very few people wanted, in partnership with Jack Layton, who practically nobody wanted, supported by Gilles Duceppe, whom absolutely nobody wanted.......until the Liberals have a convention 6 months down the road, the we get a new PM for two years........that has not won a national election.

Yep.....an exercise in democracy. Uh-huh.

The one small little iota of good that might come out of this.........election early in 2011.....can you say BIG Conservative majority?????

Unfortunately, the country will be in the dung heap by that time........

Colpy, that's pretty much the opinion of everyone I've talked to today also, as well
as the Talk Radio programs, one after another, after another...The opinion might
be different elsewhere, but not out here.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
As of now this thread is a sure thing.

The coalition exists.
And it stands a very good chance of running this country for a while.

What and how it will achieve its goals becomes more interesting now.

Unelected leadership.
Right or wrong?
Works for lots of dudes with ak47's.
Trex

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Flaherty sounded unusually subdued. While his future was not discussed, questions about his role as finance minister can be expected now that the economic strategy has blown up in the government's face

Not only Flaherty, Socrates, but the knives will be out if Harper loses the power. His position as the leader of the Conservative party may be in jeopardy.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
You got a point there but not a very valid one, if I'd have wanted a coalition - no forget it there was no Bloc Candidate on my ballot.

JLM, whether Bloc was on he ballot in your riding doesn’t matter, in our system, you don’t vote for the government, you have no say in who the Prime Minister will be.

Let me give you an example. Suppose right after the election Harper had resigned, or had got caught in some nasty scandal. Cons then would elect a new leader, the one you didn’t vote for. You have no say over who the Con leader will be, you have no say over who the Lib leader will be. You have no say who forms the government, you only get to vote for one MP.

This is in total contrast with American system. In USA, they voted for Obama, not for any other Democrat. So Obama becomes the President no matter what. Even if there is a nasty scandal surrounding him, he still remains the President (as Clinton did). That is the big difference between Canadian (or British) and American systems, in USA, people vote for a government, in Canada or UK, people vote for a party.

Another example, that regularly happens in our system is that the sitting PM retires and party chooses another leader to become PM (e.g. Campbell followed Mulroney, Turner followed Trudeau). What say do you have there? Did you have any say in Campbell becoming the PM? In Turner becoming the PM?

Much as you may not like the fact, in Canada we do not vote in a government, we only vote in one MP and nothing more.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not only Flaherty, Socrates, but the knives will be out if Harper loses the power. His position as the leader of the Conservative party may be in jeopardy.

There is that. Three elections and not one majority. If the coalition lasts, Harper is going to look a lot like an expensive extra spare tire.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

The coalition exists.

Unelected leadership.
Right or wrong?
Trex

What do you mean unelected leadership? Any leader has to win a seat in parliament.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

Great lesson, on the subject of indispensability.

Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac and when mishandled it has crashing dire affects.....
Many empires rised and fell, many Kings and Queens were send to exile, many killed to obtain power, and many lie to obtain power....
Campaign during the election Harper said we are better then them (MEANING THE OPPOSITION), once in the door DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO................No deficit, deficits are stupid Harper said that before the election during his campaigning here out in the west, now today Jimmy revealed the possibility of a deficit, knowing them it maybe a second or a third.
Trust is like a parachute it opens the first time it is good to use, failure to open at the test (Harper minority government) it would be fatal to give it another chance.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

The coalition exists.

Unelected leadership.
Right or wrong?
Trex

I understand the first state visitor after the coup will be Chavez .ak47, ha :lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hello CARBON TAX

D'ont be so sure of that. I'm in favour of a carbon tax myself as an alternative to high income taxes, but the NDP opposes carbon taxes saying they would hurt the poor. So they might not even be able to agree on that!

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I can't believe these guys trying to form a coalition government. What a bunch of back-room dealing snakes. Just willing to give concessions to the Bloc should be evidence enough of their desperation to seize power and tinker with the nation.

Now, I was pretty skeptical of the Cons at first, but they didn't do anything that negatively affected the nation IMO, and they were elected with another mandate.

Then you get Dion, talking about how he's gonna lead said coalition. Uh... didn't he say he was stepping down as leader? It doesn't make sense to me. These are trying to times, we need real leadership. Not someone the nation has told thru elections we don't want him.

As the other thread suggests, if the left wants to rule, they need to get unified, at least somewhat, and they need to get organized with their vision.

They shouldn't rule by making secret alliances and shady dealings with parties who's sole priority is one province, NOT the nation as a whole.