“Support Our Troops” slogan falls foul of Olympic rules

JBeee
*In my opinion, disqualify him immediately*

Feb 16, 2010 00:09 EST

Trouble is brewing over United States ice hockey goalie Jonathan Quick (external - login to view)and the “Support Our Troops” slogan on his helmet. Slogans of this sort are banned under Olympic rules and Quick will be told to remove it, the International Ice Hockey Federation has told Reuters.

Ryan Miller has also been told to remove the slogan “Miller Time” from his helmet while the third American netminder Tim Thomas had already placed a sticker over a slogan on his mask for the Vancouver Winter Olympics.

IOC rules forbid political propoganda or advertisements being placed on equipment.

“If the players don’t agree with the interpretation they can ask the USOC (United States Olympic Committee) to petition the IOC.”

Miller said he had agreed to remove “Miller Time”, which is also a popular beer company slogan, but might fight to keep “Matt Man”, a tribute to a dead friend from being taken off his helmet.

What do you think? Should athletes be allowed to carry personal or political messages on their clothing or equipment at the Olympic Games? Or is the IOC right to keep such messages out of the Games?

Colpy
Of course they should be allowed to have slogans on their helmets.

Bloody control freaks.

Tonington
The IOC is right. Leave the slogans and advertising to the media. I don't want to tune in to see a speed skater looking like a NASCAR.

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

The IOC is right. Leave the slogans and advertising to the media. I don't want to tune in to see a speed skater looking like a NASCAR.

Exactly right.

darkbeaver
I think they should be plastered with cheeseburger and toilet paper ads. It's what they're there for anyway, to compete in the global ****up. Faster faster the clock is catching up to us. They should be pumped full of pharmasueticals so they can perform up to global standards.

Avro
What a negative person you are.

Kind of sad.

Risus

I agree as well.

Avro

I don't even want to tune into NASCAR, never mind a luger looking like one.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Of course they should be allowed to have slogans on their helmets.

Bloody control freaks.

Aside from the fact that it is against rules agreed to by all, is it something we need? I don't think so.

Goober
Aussie skater banned from wearing bracelet in memory of dead friend (external - login to view))

VANCOUVER — An Australian figure skater has been banned from wearing a tiny good-luck charm bracelet in memory of her dead friend while competing at the Winter Olympics.

Cheltzie Lee, 16, was told by the International Olympic Committee she can't perform with the bracelet that she wears, according to the Melbourne Herald Sun.

The yellow memento is in memory of Morgan Innes, a friend who was one of four people to die in a Sydney ferry crash in 2007.

Lee had been invited to join Innes on the trip, but decided not to go as she was in training.

The IOC has deemed bracelets and other items as "sponsorship," so athletes are banned from wearing them.

Lee's mother, Renita Lee, told the Herald Sun her daughter will wear it in practice. "It is her way of showing how much she misses Morgan," she said.

"The day before Morgan died, they had trained together. They were such lovely friends," she told the paper.

The Australian Olympic Committee did not comment on the story, referring inquiries to the IOC.

The Australian team has already had a run-in with the IOC over its boxing-kangaroo flag on their athletes' village.

The Olympic committee asked that it be removed on the grounds it was a registered trademark instead of a national flag, but relented after the Aussies received widespread support for leaving it up.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Aussie skater banned from wearing bracelet in memory of dead friend (external - login to view))

VANCOUVER — An Australian figure skater has been banned from wearing a tiny good-luck charm bracelet in memory of her dead friend while competing at the Winter Olympics.

She should be DISQUALIFIED IMMEDIATELY!

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

She should be DISQUALIFIED IMMEDIATELY!

Hmmm, I actually agree with EagleSmack

L Gilbert

On the other hand, why is the IOC advertising Chinese products as "authentic native Canadian souvenirs"?
The OIC and its boneheaded rules are a pretty shabby farce.
The IOC members should have this tattooed on their foreheads as a symbol of their intelligence:

ironsides
No, no athlete should be allowed to have anything other than their countries national emblem or flag on their uniforms. The Olympics are a time of peaceful competition between countries.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

No, no athlete should be allowed to have anything other than their countries national emblem or flag on their uniforms. The Olympics are a time of peaceful competition between countries.

Why is McDonald's allowed to advertise being the "official" supplier of food at the Olys?

GM Canada advertising being the "official supplier of cars.
etc
etc
etc

IOW, why is the Oly Committee okay with advertising for companies and not the people that the Olys are all about?

ironsides
Somebody has to pay for it, but the athletes are supposed to be just that, athletes, not bill boards.

Tonington
I think it's kind of like LImbaugh's bid to be an NFL owner. The other owners didn't want Ruah and his politics being the talking point the next day, rather than the late game drive to the end zone for the win.

I mean what if we have athletes with "Death to Infidels" "The babies choice...life" "Meat is murder" etc. competing on the field with those slogans? It could detract from the athletes and their performances.

I think it's better to avoid that whole ball of wax. The Olympics afterall are really more than just athletes. There is the consumer side of things, branded by country, and by product. That should probably stay where it is. But I think tha's likely something of a personal choice for the audience out there.

darkbeaver
They should all compete naked like in the old days.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Why is McDonald's allowed to advertise being the "official" supplier of food at the Olys?

GM Canada advertising being the "official supplier of cars.
etc
etc
etc

IOW, why is the Oly Committee okay with advertising for companies and not the people that the Olys are all about?

Gold medals for diareehaha.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

Somebody has to pay for it, but the athletes are supposed to be just that, athletes, not bill boards.

Funny, I thought it was BCers mostly who are paying for this farce.

L Gilbert

.........I think it's better to avoid that whole ball of wax. The Olympics afterall are really more than just athletes. There is the consumer side of things, branded by country, and by product. That should probably stay where it is. But I think tha's likely something of a personal choice for the audience out there.

I think you are right. All advertising should stop.
But, if the Olympics didn't exist, there would still be athletes competing. If athletes didn't exist, the Olys sure wouldn't. I think the OIC has forgotten that, or perhaps it never occurred to them in the first place.

TenPenny
Slogans, logos, etc, at the Olympics are carefully controlled because the Olympics relies on commercial sponsors. If McDonalds is an Olympic sponsor, you don't want Burger King logos on all the hockey players' uniforms.

End of story.

If you don't like it, don't become an Olympic athlete.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Slogans, logos, etc, at the Olympics are carefully controlled because the Olympics relies on commercial sponsors..........

Another reason why the Olys are a farce. The best campaigners (usually the ones that front the most money) get to be the sponsors, not the companies with the best products. The better a company can coddle the IOC, the more likely the company's chances to become a sponsor.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Another reason why the Olys are a farce. The best campaigners (usually the ones that front the most money) get to be the sponsors, not the companies with the best products. The better a company can coddle the IOC, the more likely the company's chances to become a sponsor.

No, the companies who cough up the most money get to be the sponsors.

That's what being a sponsor is all about.

L Gilbert

No, the companies who cough up the most money get to be the sponsors.

That's what being a sponsor is all about.

Well, I think you get the point, because that's what I said. It's more about the commercial aspects of the Olys than the athletic aspects.
Last edited by L Gilbert; Feb 17th, 2010 at 06:06 PM..

EagleSmack

Slogans, logos, etc, at the Olympics are carefully controlled because the Olympics relies on commercial sponsors. If McDonalds is an Olympic sponsor, you don't want Burger King logos on all the hockey players' uniforms.

End of story.

If you don't like it, don't become an Olympic athlete.

When the first US Basketball "Dream Team" played I believe Reebok was the official sponsor of the gear. I believe it was Charles Barkley that said...

"I'll give you 7 Million reasons why I won't wear a Reebok suit"

...as he had a contract with Nike.

The story went something like that. I may have the name and brands wrong.

talloola
The problem with allowing 'anything' that the player wants
on part of his equipment, there are always the few who will
take it to such a degree, it becomes obscene, and of course,
the next statement is, obscene to who, and that starts the
war, so I agree that the ioc be in charge of what appears or
doesn't appear on the helmet etc.
I don't think players should be making personal statements
on parts of their hockey gear.
They can put all the personal statements they want, on their
personal clothing.

lunarwinds
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

The problem with allowing 'anything' that the player wants
on part of his equipment, there are always the few who will
take it to such a degree, it becomes obscene, and of course,
the next statement is, obscene to who, and that starts the
war, so I agree that the ioc be in charge of what appears or
doesn't appear on the helmet etc.
I don't think players should be making personal statements
on parts of their hockey gear.
They can put all the personal statements they want, on their
personal clothing.

Yeah, I think it just needs to be neutral, the IOC are not control freaks, they just want to keep it as peaceful as possible. I think that when you compete in the Olympics, the world issues of today that could have two sided opinions should be left out, forgotten. It is stupid that the United States has to bring in its pro-war to the games. It needs to be taken off, we are not here to discuss war or support it, we are here to compete...mind you, compete on friendly terms.

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

They should all compete naked like in the old days.

....maybe the Summer Olympics, but the Winter Olympics too?

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

....maybe the Summer Olympics, but the Winter Olympics too?

I'd like to see our women's hockey team naked.