“Support Our Troops” slogan falls foul of Olympic rules

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
*In my opinion, disqualify him immediately*:canada:

Feb 16, 2010 00:09 EST

Trouble is brewing over United States ice hockey goalie Jonathan Quick and the “Support Our Troops” slogan on his helmet. Slogans of this sort are banned under Olympic rules and Quick will be told to remove it, the International Ice Hockey Federation has told Reuters.

Ryan Miller has also been told to remove the slogan “Miller Time” from his helmet while the third American netminder Tim Thomas had already placed a sticker over a slogan on his mask for the Vancouver Winter Olympics.

IOC rules forbid political propoganda or advertisements being placed on equipment.

“If the players don’t agree with the interpretation they can ask the USOC (United States Olympic Committee) to petition the IOC.”

Miller said he had agreed to remove “Miller Time”, which is also a popular beer company slogan, but might fight to keep “Matt Man”, a tribute to a dead friend from being taken off his helmet.

What do you think? Should athletes be allowed to carry personal or political messages on their clothing or equipment at the Olympic Games? Or is the IOC right to keep such messages out of the Games?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The IOC is right. Leave the slogans and advertising to the media. I don't want to tune in to see a speed skater looking like a NASCAR.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I think they should be plastered with cheeseburger and toilet paper ads. It's what they're there for anyway, to compete in the global ****up. Faster faster the clock is catching up to us. They should be pumped full of pharmasueticals so they can perform up to global standards.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Of course they should be allowed to have slogans on their helmets.

Bloody control freaks.

Aside from the fact that it is against rules agreed to by all, is it something we need? I don't think so.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Aussie skater banned from wearing bracelet in memory of dead friend)

VANCOUVER — An Australian figure skater has been banned from wearing a tiny good-luck charm bracelet in memory of her dead friend while competing at the Winter Olympics.

Cheltzie Lee, 16, was told by the International Olympic Committee she can't perform with the bracelet that she wears, according to the Melbourne Herald Sun.

The yellow memento is in memory of Morgan Innes, a friend who was one of four people to die in a Sydney ferry crash in 2007.

Lee had been invited to join Innes on the trip, but decided not to go as she was in training.

The IOC has deemed bracelets and other items as "sponsorship," so athletes are banned from wearing them.

Lee's mother, Renita Lee, told the Herald Sun her daughter will wear it in practice. "It is her way of showing how much she misses Morgan," she said.

"The day before Morgan died, they had trained together. They were such lovely friends," she told the paper.

The Australian Olympic Committee did not comment on the story, referring inquiries to the IOC.

The Australian team has already had a run-in with the IOC over its boxing-kangaroo flag on their athletes' village.

The Olympic committee asked that it be removed on the grounds it was a registered trademark instead of a national flag, but relented after the Aussies received widespread support for leaving it up.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The IOC is right. Leave the slogans and advertising to the media. I don't want to tune in to see a speed skater looking like a NASCAR.
On the other hand, why is the IOC advertising Chinese products as "authentic native Canadian souvenirs"?
The OIC and its boneheaded rules are a pretty shabby farce.
The IOC members should have this tattooed on their foreheads as a symbol of their intelligence:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
No, no athlete should be allowed to have anything other than their countries national emblem or flag on their uniforms. The Olympics are a time of peaceful competition between countries.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
No, no athlete should be allowed to have anything other than their countries national emblem or flag on their uniforms. The Olympics are a time of peaceful competition between countries.
Why is McDonald's allowed to advertise being the "official" supplier of food at the Olys?

GM Canada advertising being the "official supplier of cars.
etc
etc
etc

IOW, why is the Oly Committee okay with advertising for companies and not the people that the Olys are all about?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I think it's kind of like LImbaugh's bid to be an NFL owner. The other owners didn't want Ruah and his politics being the talking point the next day, rather than the late game drive to the end zone for the win.

I mean what if we have athletes with "Death to Infidels" "The babies choice...life" "Meat is murder" etc. competing on the field with those slogans? It could detract from the athletes and their performances.

I think it's better to avoid that whole ball of wax. The Olympics afterall are really more than just athletes. There is the consumer side of things, branded by country, and by product. That should probably stay where it is. But I think tha's likely something of a personal choice for the audience out there.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Why is McDonald's allowed to advertise being the "official" supplier of food at the Olys?

GM Canada advertising being the "official supplier of cars.
etc
etc
etc

IOW, why is the Oly Committee okay with advertising for companies and not the people that the Olys are all about?

Gold medals for diareehaha.