“Support Our Troops” slogan falls foul of Olympic rules

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Don't sell yourself short, you are getting very good at it.

Gh, your ideology on the subject, makes you a tad bias. As well as the other guy with the sad little grudge.

This isn't a debate or discussion. This is how I see it, this is how everyone I know attached to the organization sees it. So what does that tell you? It's obviously an ideology issue.

I'm not going to change your' or the sad little guys ideology. You aren't going to change mine.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Your confusion stems from either your childish 4 year old grudge, or a severe reading comprehension issue.

I have no idea what you are talking about, I can only assume that you are a 4 year old with a grudge against someone.

You seem to have some problem with defining words, so I'll leave you to your world.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

I have no idea what you are talking about, I can only assume that you are a 4 year old with a grudge against someone.

You're projecting again TP.

Quote:

You seem to have some problem with defining words, so I'll leave you to your world.

In other words you just can't prove your case? Or you just can't past that 4 year old, sad little grudge you have against me? Or your ideology, is of such, that you just can't see past it?

Or all of the above?

In any case, the weakness is yours.

gerryh
Bear, you talk of others not being able to see past things........

You have already admitted that the picture on the helmet depicts military symbolism and agreed that it should be removed. Now look at the whole thing from someones perspective that does NOT live in North America. Someone that does NOT know that "Support our troops" is in regard to supporting family's and returning service men/women. Someone that does NOT know where the money goes that is raised by the "Support our Troops" program. Someone that only knows that that u.s. troops are fighting in at least 2 theaters, Iraq and Afghanistan with Iraq being the most contentious in the world today.

Now, can you honestly say that considering all of the above that the picture and slogan would not be considered a political statement?

CDNBear

Bear, you talk of others not being able to see past things........

I have already admitted we have two different perspectives Gh. And they aren't likely going to change anytime soon. My point is...

Quote:

You have already admitted that the picture on the helmet depicts military symbolism and agreed that it should be removed. Now look at the whole thing from someones perspective that does NOT live in North America. Someone that does NOT know that "Support our troops" is in regard to supporting family's and returning service men/women. Someone that does NOT know where the money goes that is raised by the "Support our Troops" program. Someone that only knows that that u.s. troops are fighting in at least 2 theaters, Iraq and Afghanistan with Iraq being the most contentious in the world today.

Ignorance is no excuse. Just as I won't let TP off the hook for his, people need to educate themselves. Instead of kneejerk reactions, how about they take a second and ask.
Quote:

Now, can you honestly say that considering all of the above that the picture and slogan would not be considered a political statement?

Yes, but this conversation morphed into a debate on whether or not "Support our Troops" was a political statement. Which it is not.

gerryh

Yes, but this conversation morphed into a debate on whether or not "Support our Troops" was a political statement. Which it is not.

In the eyes of the IOC and the rest of the world, it is a political statement and I just explained why.

CDNBear

In the eyes of the IOC and the rest of the world, it is a political statement and I just explained why.

In the eyes of teh IOC maybe, but not the rest of the world, that's a bit of a stretch. And I've explained it numerous times as to why.

gerryh

In the eyes of teh IOC maybe, but not the rest of the world, that's a bit of a stretch. And I've explained it numerous times as to why.

No, you've explained it from your view point. From the view point of North Americans. You accuse others of a myopic view. Time to, once again, check that mirror out Bear.

TenPenny
It doesn't matter where the money goes, and it doesn't matter if the organization is a government-related organization or not.

The sentiment 'support our troops' is an inherently political sentiment, in the larger meaning of the word 'political'.

Perhaps CDNBear's problem is his personal definition of 'political', I don't know. He persists on believing I have a grudge against him, I can't imagine why.

If he cannot stop for a minute, and look up the various meanings of the word 'political', and he is unable to expand his mind to understand the implications of those definitions, there is not much that can be done for him.

CDNBear

No, you've explained it from your view point. From the view point of North Americans. You accuse others of a myopic view. Time to, once again, check that mirror out Bear.

Not at all.

Given that neither you nor TP understand nor wish to even attempt to do so, the mindset of the military man, neither of you will understand that we do not just "Support our Troops". We feel a bond with all those that serve. Including those that have served uniformed against us.

It's called respect.

And it surely isn't myopic. Now, back to "Support our Troops". A non political organization, with a statement of supporting the wounded and the families thereof.

I can and have tried to see it from your perspective. And seriously, I still can not for the life of me see, how you can come to any other conclusion, then it isn't political. Except of course, you're viewing it with an ideological filter and with little to no understanding of the organization itself. Which I believe you are.

As for TP, I bet I could say something he would otherwise support, but because I said it, he would rail against me. He's the quintessential little man, still holding a grudge from years ago on a now defunct forum. Over a disagreement on a similar subject, to which I made an error, and apologized for. But being as small as he is, he can't rise above his petty little stature and here we, at odds.

darkbeaver
"the mindset of the military man" ? see Henry Kissinger for details, boom

gerryh

Not at all.

Given that neither you nor TP understand nor wish to even attempt to do so, the mindset of the military man, neither of you will understand that we do not just "Support our Troops". We feel a bond with all those that serve. Including those that have served uniformed against us.

It's called respect.

I get all that Bear, I really do. I do, however, disagree with your contention that a "bond" is felt with those that have served against the allies but that is another topic.

And it surely isn't myopic. Now, back to "Support our Troops". A non political organization, with a statement of supporting the wounded and the families thereof.

I can and have tried to see it from your perspective. And seriously, I still can not for the life of me see, how you can come to any other conclusion, then it isn't political. Except of course, you're viewing it with an ideological filter and with little to no understanding of the organization itself. Which I believe you are.

Again, I understand, and as a matter of fact I purchased and display a "support our troops" ribbon on my vehicle for the very reason of where the money goes.

The statement and supporting organisation behind it are not political here in North America. The statement and picture WOULD be considered political in damn near the rest of the world as the rest of the world has no knowledge of the grass roots organization that started this.

North America is NOT the world, nor are we the be all and end all. What we say and do is NOT necessarily broadcast around the world for all to see and hear. Out of 6 billion plus people on this planet we make up less than 400 million.

gerryh
one more thing, you are not being asked to change your view, just to see it from someone elses perspective too.

CDNBear

I get all that Bear, I really do. I do, however, disagree with your contention that a "bond" is felt with those that have served against the allies but that is another topic.

Agreed...

Quote:

Again, I understand, and as a matter of fact I purchased and display a "support our troops" ribbon on my vehicle for the very reason of where the money goes.

Quote:

The statement and supporting organisation behind it are not political here in North America. The statement and picture WOULD be considered political in damn near the rest of the world as the rest of the world has no knowledge of the grass roots organization that started this.

The picture in question, in retrospect, is political in nature. I'm big enough to admit my error there.

Quote:

North America is NOT the world, nor are we the be all and end all. What we say and do is NOT necessarily broadcast around the world for all to see and hear. Out of 6 billion plus people on this planet we make up less than 400 million.

Again I agree, and I can fully grasp how someone without foreknowledge may perceive even the benign yellow ribbon and quotation. Had we been discussing the red ribbon, or flag ribbon and accompanied quotation, I would also agree, it would be blatantly political.
Last edited by CDNBear; Mar 8th, 2010 at 11:56 AM..

CDNBear

one more thing, you are not being asked to change your view, just to see it from someone elses perspective too.

I do. I have already stated as much.