“Support Our Troops” slogan falls foul of Olympic rules

cdarro
[quote=lunarwinds;1222712].... I don't know if you remember but when one of the games was held in Germany, many of the Israeli team members were captured and killed by a German gang. It was all over the old Nazi party and its hatred toward Jewish people. quote]

Munich in 1972. It wasn't a German gang, it was Palestinian terrorists. It had nothing to do with Nazis.

lunarwinds
[QUOTE=cdarro;1222715]
Quote: Originally Posted by lunarwindsView Post

.... I don't know if you remember but when one of the games was held in Germany, many of the Israeli team members were captured and killed by a German gang. It was all over the old Nazi party and its hatred toward Jewish people. quote]

It was Munich in 1972. It wasn't a German gang. It was Palestinian terrorists. It had nothing to do with Nazis.

Well nevertheless it was not a pleasant incident, and I think the IOC want to keep opinions on global activities out of the games...that is really my point, sorry to provide false information, I suppose my recollection is tainted. Thank you for the correction

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by RisusView Post

LOL, you are on line more than me.

I see your grasp of reality is tenuous at best. I guess you missed it, but I've been off line for a month while the ice fishing was great. Apart from that, you still won't see me online much. But if it helps you sleep better, you keep telling yourself that...

Quote:

Anyway you didn't address the issue at hand in my post...

What issue? The one where you can't refute it so you just call it lame? Or the part where you told me to get a life?

I'm going to break this down for you one last time. After that, you can either file yourself under moron or clueless.

The "Support our Troops" campaign is not funded by the Gov't. It is however a non profit campaign, and the proceeds go to, the Soldiers themselves and their families, when "Support our Troops" regalia is purchased through the Family Support Center or Canex. Which would actually make them "anti political", seeing as the campaign is a mechanism to lend aid to the families of Soldiers, whom the Gov't has failed to adequately care for.

The entire campaign is run by Vets, volunteers and Soldiers families. It is a non profit campaign, it is apolitical and does not lobby the Federal Gov't. It is true, politicians of many stripes have jumped on the band wagon, but that does not make the "Support our Troops" campaign a political body, the message a political statement, nor political in any way. It is a simple campaign to show those that choose to protect the people of their Nation, a little gratitude, while helping support their families and the Soldiers themselves.

Now, if you or any of the other members that feel I'm blowing smoke, can prove otherwise, I'll change my tune. Until then, you and the rest of them shall remain filed under clueless in my books.
Last edited by CDNBear; Feb 19th, 2010 at 07:14 AM..

Avro
So now it's a campaign?

I'd still like to know why it has to say "support our troops".

Why did it ever say that?

Has any politician used it as a shield or talking point to deflect criticism of any recent wars?

It would be difficult to prove it's political in nature but I think we all know that in many cases it is.

Remove the lawyer speak and insert common sense and you know it as well.
Last edited by Avro; Feb 19th, 2010 at 10:16 AM..

TenPenny
Quote:

It is a simple campaign to show those that choose to protect the people of their Nation, a little gratitude

Which, of course, makes it a political campaign.
Not as in partisan politics, but political none the less.

talloola
an individual or teams opinion about anything political
or otherwise is not for advertising to 'all', and although
a few statements seem very innocent, 'allowing' one is opening the door to many, then come arguements which ones
should be allowed or not.
Keep opinions within one's own personal space or a teams
space, and not shown to the world. There will always be
a group somewhere that will be offended, and that is not
the desire at the olympics, it is not the place.

lunarwinds
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

an individual or teams opinion about anything political
or otherwise is not for advertising to 'all', and although
a few statements seem very innocent, 'allowing' one is opening the door to many, then come arguements which ones
should be allowed or not.
Keep opinions within one's own personal space or a teams
space, and not shown to the world. There will always be
a group somewhere that will be offended, and that is not
the desire at the olympics, it is not the place.

Thank you that is the point I have been trying to stress the WHOLE time!

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Which, of course, makes it a political campaign.
Not as in partisan politics, but political none the less.

Please explain how.

Chev
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

She should be DISQUALIFIED IMMEDIATELY!

You have got to be kidding...

Chev
She was told she could not wear her bracelet, which she always wears in memory of a friend, when she skated. I watched the men skate and one of them I'm sure was wearing some kind of 'necklace'. Could see something flying around when he was spinning...

CDNBear
As I thought, same old same old.

But since you failed to grasp it the first time, here's a recap for you, have a great day Avro...

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Simple, it just isn't. It's been around since Soldiers first went off to war. The "yellow ribbon" is older then Afghanistan, Iraq, Vietnam, Korea, WWII, WWI, and so on. It's never been applied to any political party, it's never been applied to support for any specific war, police action or peace keeping mission. It is merely what it says it is, Support for our Troops. Those that perform a duty, to keep us safe, free and able to hold such events as the Olympics, without fear of acts of violence. Hence the Canadian Military presence in Vancouver at said moment. Something odd about not being able to pay homage to those standing on guard at the very event, that now wishes to strip the simple moniker "Support our Troops" from one of the players gear.

Again, it isn't a political movement, it's a simple statement, that means what it says, anyone that thinks otherwise, hasn't clue one and/or, is a complete moron.

That would be pertinent if "Support our Troops" was in support of military action, which of course it isn't.

No it's not. It's simple really. We in the west enjoy a lifestyle and level of security afforded us, by those that would lay down their lives in sacrifice of ours, period. Whether you agree with that, support that, or believe that, is irrelevant. The fact remains, that is exactly what Soldiers do. Furthermore, if not for their actions over the decades, events like the Olympics would be a distant memory.

As for "Miller Time", his name is Miller. I fully grasp the connotation, but the fact remains, his name is Miller and he has sported that personal nic for some time.

What rule has been broken, "Miller Time" as it pertains to Miller is not an ad, and "Support our Troops" is not a political slogan. Somebody at the IOC' got his panties in a wad.

, so is the TSSA and they license me. Does that make me political? The lady that took my picture at the Driver's license center works for the Gov't, is she political?

Nope, you're stretching. "Support our Troops" is not partisan, it makes no claims to support any chosen conflict that the Gov't of the day wishes to participate in. It is simply a message in support of those that would die for you and I. I would even support, defend the rights of those Nations that actually stand against our Troops to wear the same message on their gear. It's not "political propaganda". It's a message of support for men and women protecting our rights and freedoms so we can participate in such events as the Olympics.

It's as simple as that.

Nice try though.

I see your grasp of reality is tenuous at best. I guess you missed it, but I've been off line for a month while the ice fishing was great. Apart from that, you still won't see me online much. But if it helps you sleep better, you keep telling yourself that...
What issue? The one where you can't refute it so you just call it lame? Or the part where you told me to get a life?
I'm going to break this down for you one last time. After that, you can either file yourself under moron or clueless.
The "Support our Troops" campaign is not funded by the Gov't. It is however a non profit campaign, and the proceeds go to, the Soldiers themselves and their families, when "Support our Troops" regalia is purchased through the Family Support Center or Canex. Which would actually make them "anti political", seeing as the campaign is a mechanism to lend aid to the families of Soldiers, whom the Gov't has failed to adequately care for.
The entire campaign is run by Vets, volunteers and Soldiers families. It is a non profit campaign, it is apolitical and does not lobby the Federal Gov't. It is true, politicians of many stripes have jumped on the band wagon, but that does not make the "Support our Troops" campaign a political body, the message a political statement, nor political in any way. It is a simple campaign to show those...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by AvroView Post

None of it a response to me lawyer man.

You can fight with others all you want but until you address me that is all it is lawyer man.

You ignored me but in the end you couldn't resist.....too frickin funny.

Move along, I'm sure you have ambulances to chase.

You bring a new meaning to the term "effort in futility". And what's up with calling me "lawyer man"? Do you think I'm a lawyer? Or is it just some blind childish attempt to hurt my feelings or insult me?

btw: The only reason I finally addressed your posts, was because I was bored. So please don't go spraining your wrist trying to high 5 yourself.

critter171
No there wrong, now if there advertising its different ( than i agree with ioc) but supporting the troops... saying you can't is like saying i wont' accept you cause you look ugly. they have rights. I have problem with that.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by critter171View Post

No there wrong, now if there advertising its different ( than i agree with ioc) but supporting the troops... saying you can't is like saying i wont' accept you cause you look ugly. they have rights. I have problem with that.

I see your insulting comments haven't stopped. I don't know who you directed it to, but it wasn't nice...

Ron in Regina
Play Nice....

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Play Nice....

I try!!!

Ron in Regina
Thank You! It's late, & it's almost my bedtime.

critter171
first off i didn't insult someone it was and example. of what it sounds like. anyways miller time is fine to be taken off..

support our troops is just wrong in every way.

Cliffy

first off i didn't insult someone it was and example. of what it sounds like. anyways miller time is fine to be taken off..

support our troops is just wrong in every way.

Now you are saying that supporting your troops is wrong. Are you confused? Although I agree it shouldn't be on a sport uniform, especially one in an international venue. The only way I support our troops is to bring them home. That way none will get killed in phony causes.

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Now you are saying that supporting your troops is wrong. Are you confused? Although I agree it shouldn't be on a sport uniform, especially one in an international venue. The only way I support our troops is to bring them home. That way none will get killed in phony causes.

YouTube - Bruce Springsteen Bring Them Home - San Francisco 2006

critter171
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I never said support the troops are wrong. I said time miller i fine and understandable. Your getting confused.

Risus

I never said support the troops are wrong. I said time miller i fine and understandable. Your getting confused.

Reread your own post #108...

JLM

You have that right, your posts confuse me. You said something about "Miller" but I couldn't make head nor tail of it.

critter171
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You have that right, your posts confuse me. You said something about "Miller" but I couldn't make head nor tail of it.

Hey its all good no harm no foul.

Its like the ioc saying you can't cheer for you country

gerryh

Hey its all good no harm no foul.

Its like the ioc saying you can't cheer for you country

and when did the ioc say you can't cheer for your country?

Risus
The games are over, the better team won the gold, its time this thread was closed...

critter171
Gerry, first off it is an example of what it sounds like there doing.

saying you can put a slogan like that, than you can't put your slogan of your country or cheer. its a bit ridiculous, yea the games are over but this thread about that slogan should of never been taken off or ban or anything beyond this point.

Risus

Gerry, first off it is an example of what it sounds like there doing.

saying you can put a slogan like that, than you can't put your slogan of your country or cheer. its a bit ridiculous, yea the games are over but this thread about that slogan should of never been taken off or ban or anything beyond this point.

First it was a political statement and had to go. Second this has been discussed up and down for 2 weeks, its time to move on.

critter171
Risus- no its not a politic statement get you clue look up it in a dictanotry and stop being. Its never been one from the start.

you should know better it seem you guys hate supporting your own troops.. sad very sad... shows how much you care for you so called "country"

critter171
Risus - urgh my god. If you read my postt you would understand i agree with miller time being taking off.

Second off i said i disagree with ioc on how supporting the troops in any way its not a politic statement or a slogan. Sad you Candace don't support something like this. show much you clearly don't care for people in wars.