“Support Our Troops” slogan falls foul of Olympic rules

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Blah, blah blah!

Good argument Bear. Perhaps one of your best efforts.......

Your logic is the very reason that HRC's flourish in Canada. You apply intent without fact.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Speaking of Women's Hockey, I notice that we have 'Ladies Downhill Skiing', and Ladies this and Ladies that, but Women's hockey.

I'm sure the women's hockey organization made sure they
weren't catagorized as 'ladies', just as the men aren't
put out there as 'gentlemen'. Good for them.

gerryh
no surprise that a former soldier would be defending the use of "support our troops" at the olympics. No real surprise that a former grunt can not see the inapropriateness of a slogan that supports killing in a place that supposedly is in support of peace and friendship.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

cause there dikes lol, no im kidding they work hard for there sport

that was a disgusting comment, and certainly not funny
at all.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

no surprise that a former soldier would be defending the use of "support our troops" at the olympics. No real surprise that a former grunt can not see the inapropriateness of a slogan that supports killing in a place that supposedly is in support of peace and friendship.

I do not support killing. I support the men and women of the Armed Forces. Period, and of course you know that already you old troll you! How's life treating you?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I do not support killing. I support the men and women of the Armed Forces. Period, and of course you know that already you old troll you! How's life treating you?

come on now..... as has been pointed out to me a miriad of times, by more than one former soldier...... the purpose of a soldier is to kill. That is his/her job. Soldiers are not there to be anyones friend, their sole purpose is to kill the enemy. When you support the troops, you are supporting their purpose.

TenPenny

, oh brother. The problem is, you are one of the obviously clueless I spoke of earlier. Go research "Support our Troops" and the Yellow Ribbon and get back to me.

I thought the yellow ribbon was for returning convicts.

I guess that was Tony Orlando's version.
Last edited by TenPenny; Feb 18th, 2010 at 01:33 PM..

CDNBear

come on now..... as has been pointed out to me a miriad of times, by more than one former soldier...... the purpose of a soldier is to kill. That is his/her job. Soldiers are not there to be anyones friend, their sole purpose is to kill the enemy. When you support the troops, you are supporting their purpose.

Wrong...

I thought the yellow released was for returning convicts.

I guess that was Tony Orlando's version.

The yellow ribbon has a much older tradition, try looking it up.

Avro

It's even written the same way for crying out loud.

Get rid of it.

TenPenny

Wrong...

The yellow ribbon has a much older tradition, try looking it up.

Yes it does, and it's not necessarily connected to soldiers.

gerryh

Wrong...

What part?

TenPenny

Yes it does, and it's not necessarily connected to soldiers.

And that's a 'FACT'. Not a political opinion.

CDNBear

What part?

Soldiers don't just kill.

And that's a 'FACT'. Not a political opinion.

Prove it.

TenPenny

Prove it.

You first.

Avro
Why does the ribbon say support out troops anyways?

Sounds like a order, how about just a yellow ribbon.

Plus, anyone who says "support our troops" isn't political is just goofing around....they know it is.

CDNBear

You first.

The History of the YELLOW RIBBON (external - login to view)

TenPenny

I'm waiting for you to prove that 'support our troops' is not a political statement.

I'll be generous, and give you 24 hours.

Avro

They didn't say support our troops in those days.

Why do they have to say that?

CDNBear

I'm waiting for you to prove that 'support our troops' is not a political statement.

I'll be generous, and give you 24 hours.

That's not what you asked for. And how do you prove a negative? It isn't, prove it is.

TenPenny
The story of a ribbon tied to a tree as a signal to a convict returning home that his loved ones have forgiven him is attested from 1959, but the ribbon in that case was white. The ribbon color seems to have changed to yellow first in a version retold by newspaper columnist Pete Hamill in 1971. The story was dramatized in June 1972 on ABC-TV (James Earl Jones played the ex-con). Later that year, Irwin Levine and L. Russell Brown copyrighted the song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree," which became a pop hit in early 1973 and sparked a lawsuit by Hamill, later dropped. In 1975, the wife of a Watergate conspirator put out yellow ribbons when her husband was released from jail, and news coverage of that was noted and remembered by Penne Laingen, whose husband was U.S. ambassador to Iran in 1979 and one of the Iran hostages taken in the embassy on Nov. 4. Her yellow ribbon in his honor was written up in the Dec. 10, 1979, "Washington Post."

TenPenny

That's not what you asked for. And how do you prove a negative? It isn't, prove it is.

Our troops = soldiers in the service of our government.
Support our troops = political statement.

Have a lovely life.

CDNBear

The story of a ribbon tied to a tree as a signal to a convict returning home that his loved ones have forgiven him is attested from 1959, but the ribbon in that case was white. The ribbon color seems to have changed to yellow first in a version retold by newspaper columnist Pete Hamill in 1971. The story was dramatized in June 1972 on ABC-TV (James Earl Jones played the ex-con). Later that year, Irwin Levine and L. Russell Brown copyrighted the song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree," which became a pop hit in early 1973 and sparked a lawsuit by Hamill, later dropped. In 1975, the wife of a Watergate conspirator put out yellow ribbons when her husband was released from jail, and news coverage of that was noted and remembered by Penne Laingen, whose husband was U.S. ambassador to Iran in 1979 and one of the Iran hostages taken in the embassy on Nov. 4. Her yellow ribbon in his honor was written up in the Dec. 10, 1979, "Washington Post."

That's awesome, I don't really care that it was adopted for that meaning as well.

But that's hardly what you just asked and clarified, so how is "Support our Troops" political again?

CDNBear

Our troops = soldiers in the service of our government.
Support our troops = political statement.

Have a lovely life.

Likely more lovely then a bitter little man that's held a grudge for 4 years...

Anyways, that proves nothing. By your logic, the lady that stamps passports is political.

Avro
I'd still like to know why the ribbon has to say "support our troops"?

I could understand if the Goalie had a family member in combat but otherwise I just don't get it.

Also, if you would be so kind as to tell me that if any politician has ever used the "support our troops" mantra to stand behind their political decisions or beliefs.

Thanks

Risus

Likely more lovely then a bitter little man that's held a grudge for 4 years...

Anyways, that proves nothing. By your logic, the lady that stamps passports is political.

Your arguments are growing progressively lame. Based on what you just sais, if the slogan was 'support the lady that stamps passports', then yes, it would be political.

Get a life...

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by RisusView Post

Your arguments are growing progressively lame. Based on what you just sais, if the slogan was 'support the lady that stamps passports', then yes, it would be political.

Get a life...

I find it humourous that someone that spends the bulk of their life online, telling me to get a life, well, humourously ironic...

Thanx for the laugh.
Last edited by CDNBear; Feb 18th, 2010 at 02:18 PM..

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

And the girls team would have nip-ons that could cause serious harm!

but right up there for all to see

lol

Risus

I find it humourous that someone that spends the bulk of their life online, telling me to get a life, well, humourously ironic...

Thanx for the laugh.

LOL, you are on line more than me. Anyway you didn't address the issue at hand in my post...

cdarro
Not sure which Olympics it was (98 or 02), but Canada's womens hockey team wanted to wear a shoulder patch of a rose in memory of Rose Cherry (Don's wife) but were not allowed to do so.

lunarwinds
My honest opinion on the matter, is that no matter where you are from, it should be all about the games, NOT any politics or anything that would make you stand out. You can support the troops, but not out loud. This can be viewed from many sides what we see as good is evil to others...vice versa. We have to be completely neutral and that's what the IOC wants, and I understand that. They just want the games to go and be successful without any craziness between countries regarding politics. I don't care if you think war is not political or supporting the troops isn't. It's an opinion, and opinions in a way are all political. I don't know if you remember but when one of the games was held in Germany, many of the Israeli team members were captured and killed by a German gang. It was all over the old Nazi party and its hatred toward Jewish people. I think that is why the IOC is so intolerant of such behaviour...well that of political opinion. To the gang that killed them, they were doing good, though, to many of us (I hope) we see it as bad. I think that is really all they are trying to convey...if the dalai lamma died and the Chinese put a thing on their helmets, I am sure the IOC would tell them to take it off...because maybe there are other religions that do not like the dalai lamma and think he is a threat or evil.