Shiva

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Toronto
Canadians a toxic lot: Study

By ANDRÉ PICARD
Wednesday, November 9, 2005 Posted at 7:14 AM EST
From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

World-renowned wildlife artist Robert Bateman has used his fame and fortune to promote environmental protection. But now he has gone one step further, giving literally of his blood -- blood that was tested for a host of contaminants as part of a study.

The results, to be released in a report today, show that despite his clean-living ways, Mr. Bateman's body is a repository for 48 different toxic substances. These include heavy metals; PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls used in electrical transformers and now banned); PBDEs (polybrominated diphenyl ethers used as fire retardants); PFOs (perfluorinated chemicals used in stain repellants, non-stick cookware and food packaging), pesticides and insecticides.

While this may seem startling for someone who lives on B.C.'s idyllic Saltspring Island and eats organic food, Mr. Bateman's so-called "body burden" is that of an average Canadian.

"The bottom line being that we are all polluted," said Dr. Rick Smith, executive director of Environmental Defence Canada, a Toronto-based environmental health group. "The message to Canadians is -- it doesn't matter where you live, how old you are, it doesn't matter how clean living you are or if you eat organic food, or if you get a lot of exercise. We all carry inside of us hundreds of different pollutants and these things are accumulating inside our bodies every day."

The new report, titled "Toxic Nation: A Report on Pollution in Canadians," is the first to try and determine how many manmade chemicals are ending up in average citizens.

Tests were done on 11 volunteers, including Mr. Bateman, for 88 chemicals believed to be carcinogenic, to disrupt reproduction and hormonal function and interfere with fetal development. Researchers found that, on average, participants had a cocktail of 44 in their bodies.

While the health effects of these chemicals are not clear, Dr. Smith said what is clear is that Canadians would be better off without the exposure. "The fact is that you and I have hundreds of chemicals in the body," he said. "We are part of a huge uncontrolled experiment, the outcome of which is entirely unpredictable."

Health Canada spokesperson Paul Glover said: "It's only 11 people. It's not statistically significant . . . but it is an indication and we will take a look at it."

Researchers argue that the volunteers represent a cross-section of the Canadian population, and there is every reason to believe contaminant levels would be similar in the general population. (A number of other countries have done body-burden studies, which are very expensive, but Health Canada has not, so the non-profit group decided to proceed on its own. Testing cost $1,500 per person.)

Mr. Glover said "obviously Canadians will be somewhat concerned. They didn't choose to put chemicals in their bodies. So how did they get there? But for Health Canada the question is: What is the level of risk?"

Dr. Kapil Khatter, head of Canadian Physicians for the Environment, also volunteered to be tested, and 45 of the 88 compounds were detected in his blood. The expert said he was "shocked by the levels of pesticides and heavy metals in my body."

Dr. Khatter said what angers him is how little control individuals have over their exposure: "We don't have the choice to avoid things coming of smokestacks and getting into our food and water and things in consumer products we don't know about."

Dr. Khatter said Canadians are generally too complacent about pollutants and he hopes the new study will help draw attention to how they are being affected personally.

The most polluted individual in the study turned out to be David Masty, chief of the Whapmagoostui First Nation, a Cree community in northern Quebec. A total of 51 chemicals was found in his blood, as well as some of the highest levels of heavy metals, lending more credence to the belief that toxic pollutants are accumulating in Canada's North.

According to the report, Canada is a laggard when it comes to regulating against pollution, and Environmental Defence calls on government to legislate the phase-out of brominated flame retardants (PBDEs), perfluorinated chemicals and their precursors (PFOS), and phthalates (chemicals that make plastics soft).

The report noted that younger test subjects had much lower levels of PCBs, chemicals banned in 1977, and said that shows regulation works.

Environmental Defence also calls on individual Canadians to reduce their personal exposure to chemicals by, for example, buying organic foods and using non-toxic cleaning products -- though such an approach didn't seem to help Mr. Bateman.

"I had no idea when they were taking those samples out of my arm that there was a possibility that all [those chemicals] could be in there," said the 75-year-old artist.

Chemical concentrations

The blood of 11 volunteers was tested for 88 toxic chemicals which can have one or more health effects.
HEALTH EFFFECT NUMBER OF AVERAGE PER RANGE ROBERT
CHEMICALS VOLUNTEER BATEMAN

Carcinogen 41 28 18-36 32
Hormone disruption 27 18 13-24 19
Respiratory toxicant 21 15 12-18 16
Reproductive toxicant 21 15 12-18 16
Reproductive/Developmental
toxicant 53 38 28-46 42

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I can't say that I'm surprised. The toxins in our environment are incredbly high. The Canadian government has traditionally used the economy and trade issues to justify our lax environmental laws. That's going to have to stop.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
I am preaching to the choir here , but -
- similiarly titled article called:
Array of Toxic Chemicals Astounding - "I Am Polluted"

http://www.rense.com/general63/pol.htm

{Also printed in the Glo-Ban newspaper, but back in March 2005. ]

--
Firefighters have now been declared to be at "twice the risk of getting cancer" compared to the average citizen, due to, ironically, fire-retarding chemicals.
It is a good thing that it is being recognised as a problem. For the first time anywhere, Firemen who get cancer from the toxins they are exposed to will be covered by the WCB.
{Used to be they were told - "too bad, go home and die hungry and cold, maybe homeless"}

-- The Answer?

Regulating industry's toxin needs to be much stronger. Corporate Rule [influence in govt] has caused this lax regulation to exist as it is now. Corporations in Governmment will become as distastefull as Religion in government - separtion of these influences from government is a hallmark or True Democracy.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I wonder what the count is if you smoke....

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: You're Polluted

Jay said:
I wonder what the count is if you smoke....

:wink:

I am wondering what the count would be when one has quit for two months now......(and is it worth staying in the "No smoking" mode???? :wink: