Women's World Cup Soccer!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Brave?

Oh yeah... losing to France in soccer equates to bravery in England.

Putting up a fight - rather than being routed as most people thought would happen - against one of the teams who are fancied by many to go all the way is a brave performance.

It's just a pity that, like the men's team, England were hampered by dubious refereeing decisions going against it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Well... that's the brits for you.

Sucking and whining.

I don't know what you're banging on about. The USA were very poor in the first half against Australia in Winnipeg. When they went 1-0 up it was very much against the run of play. This is despite the fact that the USA are ranked second in the world and Australia tenth.

Had USA played like that against France they would have been battered 4-0 or 5-0.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I don't know what you're banging on about. The USA were very poor in the first half against Australia in Winnipeg. When they went 1-0 up it was very much against the run of play. This is despite the fact that the USA are ranked second in the world and Australia tenth.

Had USA played like that against France they would have been battered 4-0 or 5-0.

USA > England

Do you think England will even score a goal? They got shut out by France. lol

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
USA > England

Do you think England will even score a goal? They got shut out by France. lol

England scored 52 goals in their ten qualifying matches, in which they won all ten of their matches (England were in Group 6 in the European section of qualifying, with Ukraine, Wales, Turkey, Belarus and Montenegro).

Only Switzerland (53), France (54) and Germany (62) scored more. So England are very capable of scoring goals. They should beat Colombia and Mexico, the other two teams in their World Cup group, fairly easily.

How many goals did England concede in those ten qualifying matches? Just ONE. So they will be very difficult to score against in this tournament.

Scoring plenty of goals at one end whilst barely conceding any at the other? Sounds like a recipe for tournament success to me.

2015 FIFA Women's World Cup qualification (UEFA) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Germany - Norway 1-1

Canada - New Zealand 0-0

in the 4th minute the ref called time out as there was some lightning in the area

both games picked up in intensity in the second half -this usually means that the players saved their energy for the latter part of the game - good soccer in both

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
52 goals against cupcakes.

They go up against France and they get BLANKED.

We had about two stonewall penalties wrongly denied. Had they be given, like they should, and we scored both of them we would have won 2-1.

It's always difficult to win when you have got a ref who always favours the other side, as England teams, male and female or (these days) hermaphrodite, always seem to do for some reason.

Germany - Norway 1-1

Canada - New Zealand 0-0

in the 4th minute the ref called time out as there was some lightning in the area

both games picked up in intensity in the second half -this usually means that the players saved their energy for the latter part of the game - good soccer in both

Norway, who are only semi-professional, were completely outclassed by their professional opponents in the first half. Yet in the second half it was the other way around, with Norway playing the better football. And their equaliser from a free kick, which went straight over the German wall, off the under side of the cross bar, and into the top left hand corner of the net, was class.

But it did take a bit of getting used to seeing Norway playing in white shirts and Germany in red shirts rather than the other way around.

(Click Watch on YouTube)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
We had about two stonewall penalties wrongly denied. Had they be given, like they should, and we scored both of them we would have won 2-1.

It's always difficult to win when you have got a ref who always favours the other side, as England teams, male and female or (these days) hermaphrodite, always seem to do for some reason.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The most boring sport to watch is women's soccer and it's even more boring when there are no goals.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I expected Canada to do better against NZ as they have a more talented team.

They seem to be having problems organizing attacks and are too easily disrupted.. and they are definitely having problems connecting and finishing with scoring plays. So GO Canada.. get it together.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
USA - Sweden 0-0

D@mn referee failed to call a blatant hand ball on the Swedes and a PK when Abby Wambach was wrestled to the ground in the penalty box.

I would have started Wambach so that the defense would have had to concentrate on her thereby freeing up Megan Rapinoe on attack. May have increased our chances of scoring but, I guess, it's too late now to speculate.

Next match on Tuesday vs Nigeria = should be fun.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's the refs fault. *sob*

It was. She was terrible. In fact, there have been a lot of terrible refereeing decisions in the World Cup.

Female football referees. Need I say more?

USA - Sweden 0-0

D@mn referee failed to call a blatant hand ball on the Swedes and a PK when Abby Wambach was wrestled to the ground in the penalty box.

So the USA's poor performance in that match was the referee's fault, was it?

Dear oh dear. Excuses, excuses.

The USA have hardly set the world on fire in this tournament. They've been under par in both matches they've played.

Switzerland thrashed Ecuador 10-1. Two Swiss players scored a hat-trick.

England need fifth-gear football - Sampson

By Alistair Magowan
BBC Sport in Moncton, Canada
12 June 2015

Women's World Cup: England v Mexico, Group F

Venue: Moncton Stadium, Moncton
Date: Saturday, 13 June
Kick-off: 21:00 BST

Coverage: Watch live on BBC Three and the BBC Sport website, listen to full commentary on BBC Radio 5 live and follow text coverage on the BBC Sport website

England in training ahead of their Group F match against Mexico tonight

England boss Mark Sampson says winning is more important than entertaining as his side prepare for their second game at the Women's World Cup.

On Saturday England, who are bottom of Group F after losing to France, face Mexico who are ranked 25th in the world, 19 places below Sampson's side.

"If the players win the World Cup, that would be the biggest boost the women's game could ever get," Sampson said.

"If we can do that playing in an entertaining way, fantastic."

Sampson's England set out to contain France in their opener and slipped to a 1-0 defeat, but the 32-year-old has hinted that his team will be more expansive in their remaining group matches.

"We can't afford to lose this game," he said. "I'm not sure it's a must-win game, but it's definitely a must-not-lose game.

"We're really confident that if we bring our maximum, foot-to-the-floor football, fifth-gear football, this England team and this England performance will be good enough to get us on the board and put us in a good place in the group."

England boss Mark Sampson is just 32 years of age

Welshman Sampson said all 23 of his squad are fit and available to play against Mexico, and despite having a clear plan on how to tackle the team that drew their opener with Colombia 1-1, he says he has been influenced by the display against France.

In his first major tournament in charge of England, Sampson added: "We always have to take the previous game into consideration, that's only fair on the players.

"The real England for us is our ability to show different sides, to make sure we're not a one-trick pony.

"Certainly on Saturday we will see a different England at certain points during the game."

Midfielder Fara Williams scored when England drew 1-1 with Mexico in their opening game of the 2011 World Cup in Germany

And England's record caps winner said she is not worried by losing the first game of the 2015 tournament.

"You don't panic after one game," said the 31-year-old, who has 141 caps. "We've looked at teams in the past who've lost their first game and gone on to win competitions.

"Manchester City won the [Women's Super League] Continental Cup last year after losing the first game, Spain's men's team won the 2010 World Cup after losing against Switzerland.

"Mexico are a good team but they're certainly not as good as France - we'll definitely be hoping to attack a lot more and you'll see a different side to an England team going into the game on Saturday."

BBC Sport - England Women v Mexico Women

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
The USA did not play poorly - the ref was sh++ as has been the officiating in general. These refs have a difficult time keeping up with the speedy play of today's female players. Perhaps two refs are needed such as a goal ref such as that used in UEFA.

In today's action Columbia > France 2-0 in what was truly an exciting match though again, not without controversy because of the officiating.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The USA did not play poorly - the ref was sh++ as has been the officiating in general.

Yeah, yeah. Any excuse. Blame the referee rather than your own failings.

The USA have been below par in both of their matches so far.

These refs have a difficult time keeping up with the speedy play of today's female players. Perhaps two refs are needed such as a goal ref such as that used in UEFA.

You don't want those refs. They're useless. They're used in the Europa League, in which one extra official is placed alongside each goal. They're only used to help the referee decide whether the whole of the ball crossed over the goal line. But they're usually clueless and still give dubious decisions.

In England's Premier League such referees are not needed because we use goal-line technology - Hawk-Eye - a British-developed which uses a system of sensors which can tell instantly whether or not the ball is over the line, and in a matter of seconds they send a signal to a device the referee wears on his wrist to tell him whether or not it is a goal. And those watching the match on telly see the Hawk-Eye images which confirm whether or not the ball crossed the line.

But whilst English football is embracing modern, 21st Century technology, the likes of UEFA and FIFA seem reluctant to adopt it, for some reason, and instead place an extra ref alongside each goal.

In today's action Columbia > France 2-0 in what was truly an exciting match though again, not without controversy because of the officiating.

That was THE shock result of the tournament so far. France are ranked third in the world and many people's tips to win the tournament, whereas Colombia are ranked just 28th and are very much outsiders. So to see them whupping Froggy 2-0 was not only good to see from an English sports fan's perspective but it was also good for the tournament. A lot of the supposed better teams in this tournament - France and the USA, for example - have been playing poorly whereas a lot of the smaller teams have been playing better than expected and almost pulling off shocks or actually achieving shocks, so the tournament is less predictable and more wide open.

That shock Colombia win against France came in England's group. That meant that whoever lost the match between England and Mexico (should there be a loser) would almost certainly go out of the tournament, but the winner would find themselves in a good position in the group. And it was England who won, beating the Mexicans - who have never won a match in a World Cup finals - 2-1.

The best player on the pitch was, without a doubt, the young Fran Kirby. She was brilliant in what was her first World Cup start and she has the makings of a great player. The 21-year-old, who plays for Reading in the FA WSL, just grew and grew into the game and eventually ran rings around a bewildered Mexican defence. Her goal to put England in a very much deserved 1-0 lead after around 70 minutes was a thing of beauty: a good run into the Mexican penalty area, nutmegging a Mexican defender, before slotting the ball past the goalkeeper, off the post, and into the net. She almost made it 2-0 not long after by attempting a header, but she missed the ball (she's not very tall), and had several more great chances.

But it was Karen Carney who doubled England's lead in about the 81st minute when she headed in a quality delivery from Alex Greenwood.

England were on easy street until injury time when Mexico pulled a goal back, leading to a couple of minutes of what Sir Alex Ferguson would call "squeaky bum time" for England, but they held on for a deserved win. They are now second in Group F and are, surely, one of the dark horses in this tournament, especially if Fran Kirby keeps playing like she did yesterday.

Fran Kirby is England's mini Messi - Mark Sampson

By Alistair Magowan
BBC Sport in Moncton, Canada
14 June 2015

ENGLAND 2-1 MEXICO
Kirby 71............................Ibarra 90+1
Carney 82

Mini Messi: Fran Kirby's delightful goal put a dominant England into a deserved 1-0 lead in Moncton

Head coach Mark Sampson described Fran Kirby as a "mini Messi" after her goal set England on their way to a 2-1 win over Mexico in the Women's World Cup.

Kirby, 21, scored in her first start at a major tournament, four years after depression led her to quit the game following her mother's sudden death.

"Special players step up in special moments. There's more to come for her," said Sampson.

Kirby said: "Everything I do is to make mum proud. I'm sure I've done that."

21-year-old Kirby (left) wheels away in delight after putting England ahead

Kirby is the second-youngest player in England's squad and the only one selected by Sampson from the second tier of the Women's Super League.

When the forward was 14, her mother - who had been a driving force in the early stages of her career - died after a brain haemorrhage. Three years later and struggling to come to terms with the loss, Kirby gave up on football.

But she made a tentative Sunday League comeback with Reading Town Ladies two years ago before going back to the club where she had been since she was a child - Reading FC.

And she reproduced the fine domestic form which earned her a place in the England squad as she showed great composure to put England in front against Mexico.

"It makes everything so much more worth it, coming back and playing," she said. "In the changing room they were saying 'that was your mum there when it hit the post, she was there to make sure it went in' so it's great the girls are so supportive about it."

Kirby, who scored 11 goals in five league matches before the World Cup, said: "It's pretty incredible to be compared to such a great player as Messi.

"I'm really grateful to hear Mark has that much faith in me as a player and trusted me to give me my first World Cup start.

"This time last year, I wasn't even in and around the squad.

"It has been a difficult time for me and my family but now it just motivates me. One of the reasons why I was so happy to score today was knowing the journey I have been on and it shows that coming back into football was the right decision."

England, who doubled their lead through Karen Carney before Fabiola Ibarra's injury-time reply, are level on points with France after the world's third-ranked team suffered a shock 2-0 defeat by Colombia, who now top the group.

With three teams progressing from four of the six groups at the World Cup, a point in their final game against Colombia should ensure England's qualification for the second round.

Aged seven: Is taken to football training at Reading for the first time
Aged 17: Quits football after battling depression following the death of her mother
Aged 19: Rejoins Reading and scores 33 goals in her first season
Aged 20: Scores on her England debut
Aged 21: Turns professional - first woman to do so at Reading FC
Aged 21: Scores 29 goals in 22 games as Reading finish third in WSL 2
Aged 21: Scores on first World Cup start, against Mexico

BBC Sport - Women's World Cup 2015: Kirby England's mini Messi - Sampson

Eniola Aluko struck the crossbar for England in the first half

Karen Carney came on as a substitute to score for England

Fabiola Ibarra scored for Mexico late on after an error from goalkeeper Karen Bardsley

England picked up their first win of the competition

England Women

01 Bardsley
12 Bronze (Scott - 85' )
05 Houghton
06 Bassett
03 Rafferty (Greenwood - 53' )
08 Scott (Carney - 66' Booked )
04 Williams
11 Moore
22 Kirby
09 Aluko
18 Duggan

Substitutes

02 Scott
07 Nobbs
10 Carney
13 Chamberlain
14 Greenwood
15 Stoney
16 Chapman
17 Potter
19 Taylor
20 Sanderson
21 Telford
23 White

Mexico Women

01 Santiago
02 Robles
06 Ruiz
04 Garciamendez Booked
15 Sierra (Miranda - 45' )
10 Mayor
17 Perez
07 Rangel
11 Ocampo (Ibarra - 89' )
19 Cuellar (Sanchez - 77' )
09 Corral

Substitutes

03 Murillo
05 Miranda
08 Noyola
12 Tajonar
13 Espinoza
14 Romero
16 Alvarado
18 Perez
20 Sanchez
21 Guajardo
22 Ibarra
23 Alvarado

BBC Sport - England Women 2-1 Mexico Women

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
USA > Nigeria 1-0 with Abby Wambach scoring the winner - sadly the Nigerian coach did not offer a handshake to our coach. Defo needs to set a better example.

I missed the first half as I was attending a local youth baseball game - one tied at 9-9 in the 7th and whose conclusion was postponed due to rains

Way to go Yankee girls!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
sadly the Nigerian coach did not offer a handshake to our coach.

You make that sound as though it's unusual.

Your coach, Jillian Ellis, by the way, is English. She was born in Portsmouth.

Last edited: