What to do with surpluses?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I have a suggestion for you Cannuck (Dweeb), when you "red neg" something, suggest an alternative that makes more sense, otherwise uninformed readers might get the misguided opinion that you are an IDIOT.

"Could you elaborate Petros. I don't know what R&D is" would be a good alternative

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Eliminate the debt in it's entirety

That's not realistic. It should be a goal but either taxes would have to go way up to do it reasonably quickly or it would take too long. There will be other pressing issues that will have to be dealt with. Like Walter, your idea is too simplistic

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
as far as surpluses go . We're coming up to another federal election and Harpo is scared of Trudeau and the NDP.

so I see this talke of a surplus , is merely a vote buying ploy to try to regain a majority government.

And a way to try to deflect from the scandals.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
That's not realistic. It should be a goal but either taxes would have to go way up to do it reasonably quickly or it would take too long. There will be other pressing issues that will have to be dealt with. Like Walter, your idea is too simplistic

It's not a short term achievement by any means. However, application of surplus cash towards that debt has a positive and compunding effect.

Less debt translates into less interest and over time, that results in tax relief, capacity to expand gvt services (as necessary), etc.

Not recognizing the debt component is no different than living on borrowed time

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
PAY the Debt !!!!!
less money we pay out for interest , keep paying it till there is no more!
It is that simple. Then pass a law to not get in debt for social programs, that was the most irresponsible spending anyone can do.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's not a short term achievement by any means. However, application of surplus cash towards that debt has a positive and compunding effect.

I don't disagree. I'm saying that the focus can not be on debt reduction at the expense of other more pressing issues

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
as far as surpluses go . We're coming up to another federal election and Harpo is scared of Trudeau and the NDP.

so I see this talke of a surplus , is merely a vote buying ploy to try to regain a majority government.

And a way to try to deflect from the scandals.
Harper is not a fiscal Conservative, his government failed miserably when it comes to money and how things cost versus the real cost.... F 35 prime example.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Harper is not a fiscal Conservative, his government failed miserably when it comes to money and how things cost versus the real cost.... F 35 prime example.

Paul Martin was a better conservative than Harper. Harpers a better social conservative

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
PAY the Debt !!!!!
less money we pay out for interest , keep paying it till there is no more!
It is that simple. Then pass a law to not get in debt for social programs, that was the most irresponsible spending anyone can do.
I disagree and that child in the other thread is precisely why. The most irresponsible spending anyone can do is leaking our money out to those undeserving such as Duffy and other political crooks. The sick, the old, the poor and the needy are not irresponsible spending.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I disagree and that child in the other thread is precisely why. The most irresponsible spending anyone can do is leaking our money out to those undeserving such as Duffy and other political crooks. The sick, the old, the poor and the needy are not irresponsible spending.
Sal that is all good and I am for it , but we must be able to afford it first.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yes and no. Get rid of the political crooks. The child you refer to didn't die because of lack of funds and it's a problem you could throw money at until "the cows come home". If I remember correctly that child was school age, if he wasn't in school someone should have been questioning "why not" and if he was in school his condition would have been observed before it reached dire proportions.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Using debt to fund social services is a very costly idea. Crooks like Mac Harb or Duffy squandering a few hundred thousand is a pittance compared to the billions needed for social services.

That doesn't mean that we give them a pass, but you have to keep your eye on the big picture

Sal that is all good and I am for it , but we must be able to afford it first.

Exactly.

Funding the social programs via debt only pushes a far larger burden onto the next generations... At some point, there is such a large debt that those that rely on society to live are sh*t outta luck cause the Federal cupboards are bare and no one will loan you (read: the nation) any more money.

Greece, Spain, Italy and Ireland are in that position now.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Using debt to fund social services is a very costly idea. Crooks like Mac Harb or Duffy squandering a few hundred thousand is a pittance compared to the billions needed for social services.

That doesn't mean that we give them a pass, but you have to keep your eye on the big picture

Exactly.

Funding the social programs via debt only pushes a far larger burden onto the next generations... At some point, there is such a large debt that those that rely on society to live are sh*t outta luck cause the Federal cupboards are bare and no one will loan you (read: the nation) any more money.

Greece, Spain, Italy and Ireland are in that position now.
You are preaching to the choir here CM ;)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yes and no. Get rid of the political crooks. The child you refer to didn't die because of lack of funds and it's a problem you could throw money at until "the cows come home". If I remember correctly that child was school age, if he wasn't in school someone should have been questioning "why not" and if he was in school his condition would have been observed before it reached dire proportions.

He died because of systemic issues one of which was caused by a lack of funds. The child was not in school he was too underfed and ill to move.

Social workers caseloads are horrendous......why do you think they are burdened with such heavy caseloads?